• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Evolving Strategy (600)

Charizard Lord

Probably Napping
I've gotta say, this episode was easily one of the best in the anime.

The battles were fast paced and action packed, though one-sided ad times. Magmortar was awesome in battle, but I found its activation of Flame Body alittle cheap. That burn was pretty much the end for Pikachu.

Buizel put up a good fight, and I thought it was cool that it didn't let ash recal it, giving him a "thumbs up." Of course...he was destroyed five seconds later by Ursaring. Nice going Buizel...

Which reminds me...Paul's Ursaring is CRAZY! Damn, that thing surprised me! I guess Paul won't be releasing it after all. It crushed Buizel, Staraptor, and even Pikachu. Guts was pretty cool, but again, cheap.

But I guess ol' Yogi wasn't enough for Chimchar, who finally ended his little field day. And afterward, Chimchar finally evolves! Monferno looks really strong and fast, and it put up an amazing fight against Electabuzz. Too bad it lost though...

They say that you learn more from defeat than from victory, so hopefully this loss will be a wake up call for Ash. He REALLY needs to train his team harder if he ever wants to beat Paul, or the Sinnoh League for that matter. New moves are necessities, and Evolutions, while unecessary IMO, would greatly help too. Ash has alot of work ahead of him...but I'm sure he can do it.

uber gon

Accept Change
Monferno really should learn Blaze Kick, Fire Punch, or Flare Blitz soon.

Also, what was that purple attack of Magmortar's?

dman_dustin

Instead of saying what's cheap and what's not and going nowhere with the argument I decided to do an analysis of the full battle. Keep in mind though because I worked hard on it. Be warned, it is very long so that's why I'm putting a lot of it (if not all in spoiler tags). Also due to the nature of how I did it, expect the spoiler tags (Full Battle Part One and Full Battle Part Two to be incredibly long, okay I decided to split Full Battle Part Two up in two sections too make it easier). Before you ask, yes I have no life.

So...

Forgive any moves I say wrong, basing most on appearances, and what I know. If I make a move mistake ignore it/replace it your mind with the correct move. And also don't argue at all with any battle mistakes, I'm writing this down as I watch the episode and pausing to write down what just happens. None of this B.S. about (example) Pikachu didn't use mega punch after Dialga used roar of time (even if it was a possible move error, Pikachu did in fact punch right after Dialga used some hyper beam like attack). Remember that was for example, not indicative of these two episodes (full battle).

And for further explanation: I set it by moves of the Pokemon they use and the result. I would be more concise but it's easier to analyze the battle this way.

So for example:

Pokemon vs Pokemon

1st Pokemon:

1. First move action, or tactic

2. Second move action, or tactic

3. Third move action, or tactic

etc.

2nd Pokemon:

Same thing as 1st Pokemon.

Analysis: I will try to not be biased as much I can, and I will take in consideration of every move and tactic and explain the match in further detail. While yes most of its my opinion, and can be countered. You better not be countering it with a memory. In order to counter my analysis of the battle you have to do the same thing I'm doing. And if I see any of that I'm going to call you for it, and I don't care if I'm rude.

Rinse and repeat until the battle is over.

Full Battle Part One:

Torterra vs Buizel- Doesn't happen, Ash recalls Buizel.

Torterra vs Gliscor

Torterra

1. Torterra uses giga drain, gets rid of sand attack but misses Gliscor.

2. Torterra uses frenzy plant but misses.

3. Torterra uses crunch on Gliscor's tail

4. Torterra uses giga drain.

Gliscor

1. Gliscor uses sand attack.

2. Gliscor uses X-scissor, direct hit

3. Gliscor dodges frenzy plant

4. Gliscor uses fire fang, and then x-scissor both attacks hit.

5. Gliscor uses steel wing, it somewhat hits. Torterra's attacks came after so.

6. Gliscor uses giga drain to escape the giga drain. Deals some damage to Torterra as a result.

7. Gliscor is recalled.

Analysis- Yeah going from the sub, I was perfectly fine with this match up, as it appears Gliscor doing all that damage was because of Paul's strategy. Pretty decent battle if you ask me. It is interesting to note that Torterra was heavily breathing after Gliscor was recalled.

Torterra vs Staraptor

Torterra

1. Torterra uses Stone edge to deflect Staraptor's brave bird.

2. Torterra is recalled

Staraptor

1. Staraptor uses Brave bird deflected by Torterra's stone edge.

Analysis- Not much too say other, than nice strategy in using stone edge.

Weavile vs Staraptor

Weavile

1. Weavile uses sword dance.

2. Weavile uses blizzard to slow down Staraptor.

3. Weavile then uses metal claw and hits.

4. Paul tells Weavile to move in closer and use metal claw. Blows are exchanges, but Close combat hits.

5. Weavile uses blizzard but relatively misses, I'm sure it damaged Staraptor, but Staraptor didn't seem affected by it.

Staraptor

1. Staraptor uses quick attack and hits Weavile.

2. Staraptor uses aerial ace, but misses due to blizzard and a dodge by Staraptor.

3. Staraptor uses close combat. Blows are exchanged but Weavile is hit.

4. Staraptor uses brave bird and knocks out Weavile.

Analysis- Close combat, and Brave bird is what ultimately knocked out Weavile. While it is a shame that Weavile isn't really shown to be strong, I love this battle, as there was no cheapness on either side. Staraptor is recalled after the battle.

Electabuzz vs Grotle

Electabuzz

1. Electabuzz uses light screen to deflect energy ball.

2. Electabuzz is recalled.

Grotle

1. Grotle uses energy ball deflected by light screen.

Analysis- Again not much to say but it does set up Paul's strategy in the next battle.

Honchkrow vs Grotle

Honchkrow

1. Honchkrow uses night slash and hits.

2. Honchkrow uses haze.

3. Honchkrow uses night slash, despite not being called the move.

4. Honchkrow uses sky attack and knocks out Grotle.

Grotle

1. Grotle uses razor leaf but misses.

2. Grotle uses energy ball but of course Electabuzz's light screen from before deflects it.

3. Grotle uses razor leaf but misses.

4. Grotle use synthesis.

5. Grotle uses rock climb (fails due to sky attack hitting first).

Analysis- The only thing cheap I find about this battle is Grotle's defenses aren't apparent here, after only 3 hits, Grotle is knocked out. While I don't care in general, this battle was more fair, and smart than it was cheap. So even if Grotle continued longer. It wouldn't have knocked out Honchkrow right now. So this battle was fair, and kudos to Paul using light screen to screw over energy ball. Honchkrow is recalled afterwards.

Magmortar vs Pikachu- Well we'll have to find out in the second episode.

Full Battle Part Two:

Magmortar vs Pikachu

Magmortar

1. Magmortar uses flamethrower (no hit)

2. Magmortar uses rock tomb (prevents volt tackle and does damage to Pikachu)

3. Magmortar uses smog (no hit because of counter shield technique).

4. Magmortar uses flamethrower (Pikachu dodges)

Pikachu

1. Pikachu uses quick attack on Magmortar, Pikachu receives a burn as a result.

2. Pikachu uses thunderbolt (no hit)

3. Pikachu uses volt tackle (failed, recieved damage from rock tomb). Receives burn damage.

4. Pikachu uses counter shield technique (prevents damage from smog), Pikachu's burn activates (better than saying receives damage, given I hate writing receive, given the I before E except after C).

5. Pikachu used iron tail, hits Magmortar and Pikachu's burn activates.

6. Pikachu is recalled from battle.

Analysis of this battle: It's obvious that rock tomb is the only move that damaged Pikachu, and I mean move. Since Pikachu's only other damage was received from the burn status. Given that Pikachu received the burn from the start Ash is at a serious disadvantage, this early in the (episode).

Magmortar vs Buizel

Magmortar

1. Magmortar uses rock tomb to deflect water pulse.

2. Magmortar uses smog and hits Buizel.

3. Magmortar is recalled.

Buizel

1. Buizel uses aqua jet (hits)

2. Buizel uses water pulse (water pulse misses becauses of rock tomb)

3. Buizel uses aqua jet, smashes rock tomb, and misses because, *gasp* Magmortar isn't there.

Analysis- I cannot forgive what they did with Magmortar being gone after Buizel used aqua jet to smash up the rock tomb. First of all its because while yes it does make sense for Buizel to not know where Magmortar was, Ash's field of vision should've prevented that "sneak attack" smog attack even if Ash gave Buizel heads up, Ash should've countered with counter shield to prevent damage from smog.

Ursaring vs Buizel

Ursaring

1. Ursaring uses hammer arm to deflect water gun.

2. Ursaring uses bulk up

3. Ursaring uses slash to deflect Buizel

4. Ursaring uses focus blast, is deflected by Aqua Jet, and Ursaring receives damage as a result of the way focus blast was affected from the aqua jet.

5. Ursaring uses hammer arm and clotheslines (the term means attacked at the neck, like an arm slamming into the neck, it's a wrestling term as well) Buizel. Buizel is "stuck" in the ground.

6. Ursaring uses Focus Blast to prevent Aqua Jet, and knocks out Buizel.

Buizel

1. Buizel uses water gun (deflected by hammer arm)

2. Buizel uses aqua jet, hits but then is deflected by slash

3. Buizel uses the spinning aqua jet like a "cyclone" to deflect Focus Blast, and shoot focus blast back at Ursaring dealing damage to it.

4. Buizel use sonic boom (no real effect even though it hits).

5. Buizel uses Aqua jet, is hit with focus blast and is knocked out.

Analysis- So it appears as if bulk up affects everything in this battle despite the fact it only is supposed to affect attack and defense. Focus Blast should not have increased in strength. And Hammer arm's lowering speed is not taken into acount here at all, no way could Buizel not dodge before being clotheslined. Ash tries to recall Buizel, but Buizel says its okay. I'm a bit miffed that sonic boom didn't do jack depite the fact its damage is fixed therefore bulk up shouldn't have affected sonic boom's damage. One explanation is sonic boom is just too damn weak, and given the fact that Buizel's sonic boom hasn't been portrayed as strong (Wake's Quagsire), I somewhat agree, still though, Ursaring should've at least slowed down, ennough for Buizel to counter shield or dodge that powerful hammer arm. Also didn't like how Buizel's aqua jet just went all forward, just to be defelected by focus blast resulting in a loss. Somewhat acceptable battle, but slightly one sided to show how powerful Ursaring is.

Ursaring vs Staraptor

Ursaring

1. Ursaring uses hammer arm, Staraptor dodges quickly and hits Ursaring with aerial ace.

2. Ursaring uses focus blast, hits.

3. Ursaring uses slash to deflect close combat while dealing damage.

4. Ursaring uses hammer arm, knocks out Staraptor.

Staraptor

1. Staraptor uses aerial aces, hits hard.

2. Staraptor uses close combat, doesn't hit.

Analysis: I think Ash doesn't know what the hell he's doing, while I was impressed with Staraptor dodging the first hammer arm, it is quite pathetic that slash would hit Staraptor. It's like they aren't consistent with Ursaring's speed, which of course you can ignore it because the effect of Hammer Arm was never mention, sounds like an excuse though. I absolutely detest focus blast hitting Staraptor, unlike brave bird, Staraptor had plenty of time to dodge or attempt a dodge, but no it looks like Staraptor is just flying south for the winter. I primarily blame Ash, but Staraptor's ignorance of the battle is to blame as well. One could argue that Ash couldn't command Staraptor because he used his attack quota (you can't attack like 5 times in a row for example) of the round, but that should've reset when Ursaring used hammer arm and focus blast in a row. It's also Staraptor's fault (or possible the animator's fault) for not seeing the focus blast. I would call this battle fairer had Staraptor made some attempt to dodge the focus blast instead of just flying. Ursaring is also recalled at the very end.

Electabuzz vs Chimchar

Electabuzz

1. Electabuzz uses protect to block flamethrower.

2. Electabuzz uses light screen and is recalled

Chimchar

1. Chimchar uses flamethrower, stopped by protect.

Analysis- While we can all agree that what Paul did was fair, but it's getting ridiculous for all the switch outs.

Torterra vs Chimchar

Torterra

1. Torterra uses stone edge to hit Chimchar's flamewheel, Chimchar dodges (at first), but Torterra's control over stone edge, hits Chimchar's flame wheel, and presumably dealing damage to Chimchar.

Chimchar

1. Chimchar uses flamewheel, dodges the stone edge, only later to be hit with the attack.

2. Chimchar uses flamethrower, does not affect Torterra because of light screen.

3. Chimchar is recalled.

Analysis- Stone edge's description in the game is this: "The user stabs the foe with a sharpened stone. It has a high critical-hit ratio. " and not to mention its a physical and not a special move, so Torterra controlling it is crap. And don't give me any crap that anime /=/ games, if flamethrower didn't hit Torterra because of light screen because flamethrower is a special move, than no arguing that stone edge is special just because that's the way the anime does it. Even if we were to assume Torterra would have some control over it, the fact this is the first time this has happened, is B.S. if Stone edge couldn't miss (it has some horrible accuracy in the games, 80%) then the other times a Pokemon misses stone edge, is basically god. But even with the cheapness of the stone edge nothing horrible happened here (unless stone edge, explains, Monferno's lower health in the future, which is B.S.)

Torterra vs Gliscor

Torterra:

1. Torterra uses frenzy plant to deflect Gliscor and knock it out.

Gliscor:

1. Gliscor uses X-scissor, deflected and knocked out by frenzy plant.

Analysis- The only way I found this match up cheap was because it was a lousy way for Gliscor to lose, seems to me they didn't want Gliscor to battle Ursaring/Electabuzz/Magmortar/Honchkrow no it had to be Torterra. Other than that this battle was fair. And no crap about level variations within two episodes. Gliscor wasn't hit with a frenzy plant in the previous episode, it only took damage from "Crunch" and giga drain. Gliscor losing here was fair, and no it's not showing how weak Gliscor is in the previous episode. One of the non cheapest battle (so far).

Torterra vs Pikachu- Doesn't happen, Torterra is recalled before the match up.

Ursaring vs Pikachu

Ursaring

1. Ursaring uses hammer arm, prevents quick attack from connecting.

2. Paul commands something (probably focus blast) for Pikachu's iron tail but static interferes.

3. Because of static, Ursaring's guts activates, when means when afflicted with a status, like paralysis or a burn, Ursaring's attack is increased.

4. Ursaring uses hammer arm, is hit with thunderbolt, but hits Pikachu and of course knocks out Pikachu.

Pikachu

1. Pikachu uses quick attack deflected by hammer arm, Pikachu recovers in the air.

2. Pikachu uses iron tail and hits Ursaring hard. Pikachu's burn activates.

3. Pikachu uses thunderbolt, hits, but damage, ugh. Pikachu is then hit with hammer arm and is knocked out.

Analysis- One of the cheapest battles I have ever seen. Too many convienent coincidences cost Pikachu this match. Magmortar's burn, Pikachu's static, and Ursaring's guts, way too convienent. First off while fine yes Magmortar's burn did affect Pikachu horribly, there's one cheap thing about it, and that's the fact Pikachu was burned after one quick attack to Magmortar. Thus burned leeched Pikachu's necessary stamina/health. And while yes recalling Ursaring would've reset the user's speed, it would've also reset Bulk-ups positive effect so Iron tail failing to knock out Ursaring is cheap. As well as the convienent static, while it in part it did help Ash (with iron tail) it hurt Ash more than help. And in no way do I condone Ursaring's ability to shake off that thunderbolt. Like I said Guts only affects the attack stat, not its health or defense. Even if Iron tail wouldn't knock out Ursaring, thunderbolt should have knocked out. And Ursaring's impossible stamina is shown again vs Chimchar, just watch.

Ursaring vs Chimchar

Ursaring

1. Ursaring uses slash to deflect flamewheel.

2. Ursaring uses hammer arm to prevent Chimchar's dig, Chimchar is too fast.

Chimchar

1. Chimchar uses flamewheel deflected by slash.

2. Chimchar uses flamethrower, and hit its mark.

3. Chimchar uses dig and succeeds.

4. Chimchar uses flamethrower, hits and knocks out Ursaring.

Analysis- Ursaring what the hell? Yes it took a total of three moves, flamethrower, dig, and another flamethrower to knock it out. Even if Ash was relentless with his attacks, that is just bull, Ursaring won't go down until that nice 3-move combo. While you could argue it was cheap on Ash's side, keep in mind 3-move combos have been in the anime before. And Chimchar only uses 2 more moves than Ursaring, and don't forget Ursaring was damaged well before the match. I don't like Ursaring being portrayed this strong, while some knockouts were easily explained away, the fact is Ursaring is way too strong for it's good. The only redeeming factor Ursaring has in my eyes was causing Chimchar to evolve after the match.

Chimchar evolves and learns mach punch!

Electabuzz vs Monferno

Electabuzz

1. Electabuzz uses thunder, resulting in damage and a paralysis status.

2. Electabuzz uses protect to deflect Monferno's flamewheel.

3. Electabuzz uses thunder punch but misses.

4. Electabuzz uses thunder to deflect Monferno's flame wheel but fails due to the flamethrower counter shield.

5. Electabuzz uses protect to block mach punch.

6. Electabuzz uses thunder and hits Monferno.

7. Electabuzz uses thunder punch collides with Mach punch resulting in explosion.

Monferno

1. Monferno uses mach punch, hits Electabuzz

2. Monferno uses flame wheel, fails due to Electabuzz's protect.

3. Monferno uses flamethrower, misses.

4. Monferno uses dig and nails Electabuzz hard.

5. Monferno uses flamewheel, then uses flamethrower as a counter shield against Electabuzz's thunder. Flame wheel connects.

6. Monferno uses mach punch, fails due to protect.

7. Monferno tries to use flamethrower, but its paralysis got in the way.

8. Monferno's blaze takes in effect.

9. Monferno use mach punch, collides with thunder punch resulting in explosion.

Monferno faints.

Analysis- I hate this battle, not only did Chimchar evolve into Monferno, kick ***, activate blaze, it still lost. So let's start the analysis. It is clear Paul only one this because of paralysis. Had paralysis not interferred the way it did, Monferno could've tied with Electabuzz. Apparently dig is crap, because despite being a ground type move therefore super effective against Electabuzz, it ultimately did nothing. And apparently Electabuzz is strong enough to knock out Monferno after three hits, thunder x2, and thunder punch/ Mach punch explosion. Electabuzz withstanding all that power is just unbelivable and they should've at least tied. That's why I hate Torterra's convienent control over stone edge, Monferno would relatively be at full health against Electabuzz, but Stone edge apparently was the deciding factor. Unbelievable. Not to mention Mach punch should've hit before thunder punch.

Analysis of the full battle- I want to make something absoultely clear, absolutely clear, I don't care that Ash lost, because ultimately Ash would've lost anyway. No what makes me upset is the ridiculous way Ash lost. 6-2 is just B.S. no matter how you slice it. Some matches were fair, like Weavile vs Staraptor, Honchkrow vs Grotle and Torterra vs Gliscor, but the sad fact the writers had to resort, to abilities, and statuses as the deciding factor is irritating. It says to me that Paul in normal circumstances, could not beat Ash they way he did. And this sudden super strength of Paul's Pokemon is getting quite annoying. It was acceptable in the beginning of the saga. But this far into saga, I call B.S. Why? Because if Weavile a veteran of Paul's (Confirmed) can lose to Staraptor, then why in the hell can't Ursaring lose to Pikachu and Electabuzz to Monferno. 6-4 would've been a much more realistic outcome. Even though I agree Paul would've won, the way he won again was ridiculous. And seems to only be for plot's sake. In terms of fairness, the first episode was better. The second was only overall better due to animation and Monferno.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
This episode was one of the animes best, I don't care Ash got creamed. Battle-wise, it honestly doesn't get much better than this.

Although Ursaring's strength was insane at point. How goddamn strong is that thing?

Eevee7ways

Sonica Boooom!
Man, the animation for when a pokemon is burnt is awesome.

HoennMaster

Glad to finally see Monferno. It looks like it controlled Blaze just fine too.

Great battle, although Monferno should have defeated Electabuzz.

Also, what was that purple attack of Magmortar's?

According to Bulbapedia, Smog. Which seems weird.

dman_dustin

According to Bulbapedia, Smog. Which seems weird.

Or was it Magmortar's rock tomb? It was a purple ball before hitting the ground. Though I suppose smog makes more sense given the appearance of it. Rock tomb would be too obvious, and would require more explanation than "purple attack."

Bliksem

The Quirky Quilava
What an absolutely FANTASTIC episode! I was grinning the entire time.

People say the fight was unrealistic. How? Because abilities proc'd when they weren't in Ash's favor? What I liked best was how Paul always kept calm the entire time. And the end scene? Leaving without even acknowledging Ash's presence? Brutal! This episode really made Paul's character. I can't see them doing much better than this. This was an almost perfect showing.

Before I continue on my 'Paul > Ash' rant, I would like to say that I'm surprised so many people wished it to be a close match. A close match doesn't give us anything to look forward to. A close match states that their training philosophies are separate, but equal. No, only by losing badly can Ash really look deep within himself and find out what he really wants to accomplish with his training. His philosophy can evolve as a result.

A key point I think this episode made was when Buizel said he was alright and could keep going. This is where Ash's method of training falls down compared to Paul's. Unlike Paul, Ash is not very aware of the status conditions of his Pokemon, while Paul managed to constantly switch to cover his weaknesses and vulnerabilities.

Finally, a nod to actual battling. This episode was the closest it has ever been to a real link battle. Paul's strategies are almost textbook, and they're really effective. Ash could not once penetrate Light Screen. And yet, he managed to overcome Ash's unorthodox methods of fighting.

P.S. Ursaring is a beast. 3 Pokemon? I wasn't even expecting that much. I was expecting Magmortar to take down Pikachu, but no, Ursaring did the job. I, too, thought it'd be replaced eventually. It's amazing how Paul manages to control something that powerful.

P.P.S. Replace Weavile with Tyranitar, kthxbai.

EDIT: By the way, Dman, your bias is showing in your analysis. You say things are 'cheap' yet you ignore that in the actual game, they have a very real chance of occurring. Examples, Flame Body and Static have a 30% of happening. Ursaring's attack power is far above what is the norm, reaching the realm of Kingler, Flareon, and even Ho-Oh. His defenses aren't bad. Paul's Pokemon landed several more hits on Ash's weaker and small ones and they still didn't go down. Paul's Pokemon aren't mobile, but they're built to take and dish punishment. You should really take that into consideration.

Last edited:

uber gon

Accept Change
Man I bet Ash will get some overpowered fighters soon after this.:)

Trips

you forgot to mention that ash use mach punch instead of flamethrower or flamewheel when blaze was active, it boost fire moves up by alot but he used a fighting move which was dumb. to me ash didnt know what blaze does so i think that was he used mach punch instead of fire move.

Shinnie-tan

Oh man, I'm torn between loving this episode or being depressed because Ash was completely and utterly crushed. The way the animators refused to show his eyes in the last scenes almost broke my heart, along with Monferno's loss.

Obviously, Ash will get revenge in the league but seeing Ash's faith in his pokemon override his sense of judgement to withdraw his pokemon was probably a bitter blow to his pokemon. So either Ash's pure faith and his pokemon's will to continue fighting on is what will lead to Ash prevailing in the league or, Ash will learn to balance out his faith with his sense of judgement.

Oi, Brock start being a mentor to Ash again damn it and teach him about these things.

I guess Ash has some serious training to do with his Sinnoh team in the lead up to the league- with the way Paul's team is now, there isn't much of a chance of him winning(and I highly doubt Ash would pull out his reserves unless some cop out happened and his Sinnoh team was injured before the match or something).

Last edited:

gpt11

Indeed, his current team is in dire need of training and evolution....because right now, they only way I see him beating Paul in the league is with Charizard, Sceptile and the powerhouse gang.

mabe all though its slim to none ash will use the pokemon he has for the premliminaries and then use a powerhouse team against paul!

Netbug009

...Dude, did I seriously almost forget caps would be up for this episode today? I almost went to bed without looking! Bad Chimchar/Monferno fan! Bad! xD

*looks at caps and writes comments as she goes*

-Nice animation. I can tell just from the stills how smooth it must be.

-Wow at Ash's Pokemon. I think everybody's got a bit of a bone to pick with Paul. They all gave their best, sometimes beyond even what Ash expected of them (Nice try, Buizel!)

-I AM ASH, THE SUBSTITUTION KING. I've never seen him switch out this much in a battle before. I think he's letting how much Paul intimidates him cause him to try thinking a little too hard.

-Oh gosh, 5 vs. 1. Poor Chimchar. xDDDDD It wouldn't have been too cruel if the writers HADN'T let him evo in a situation like this.

-You know, I can be quoted saying a lot "UGH CONTROLLING BLAZE UPON EVO WOULD BE A TOTAL COPOUT" but... way to go writers. The loss anyway balances it out, but even though Paul has a victory, he just got proven wrong about his Blaze nagging. Looks like controlling it takes a lot of energy out of him too.

-Monferno seems a little more of a showy battler but, deep down, is still the same sweet hard worker with a little bit of self-consciousness he was as a Chimchar. No complains on evo personality change from me.

-And just as important, the bond between him and Ash is the same. Ash still carries him when he's hurt. He still gives him encouragement when he puts too much blame on himself. The interaction between them towards the end of the episode reminded me a lot of the one at the end of Chim-Charred, which made me very happy to say the least.

Gah, it won't be in the states till like, October. C'mon CN, close the gap a little will ya?

TL;DR- That was awesome. Heartwrenching, but awesome.

...No wait, one last thing.

414loc.jpg

THIS IS ADORABLE AND WILL BE MADE INTO A ICON FOR MY LJ WITHIN DAYS OF THIS EPISODE AIRING IN THE STATES. ADORABLE I SAY. <3333

dman_dustin

EDIT: By the way, Dman, your bias is showing in your analysis. You say things are 'cheap' yet you ignore that in the actual game, they have a very real chance of occurring. Examples, Flame Body and Static have a 30% of happening. Ursaring's attack power is far above what is the norm, reaching the realm of Kingler, Flareon, and even Ho-Oh. His defenses aren't bad. Paul's Pokemon landed several more hits on Ash's weaker and small ones and they still didn't go down. Paul's Pokemon aren't mobile, but they're built to take and dish punishment. You should really take that into consideration.

No, there is no way this would likely happen in the games, 30% means the it's more likely to not be affected than be affected by it. The fact is every time someone attacked someone abilities/statuses had an effect right away, with the exception of Buizel, which could be explained by it being a water type. Pikachu's first ever attack on Magmortar, Pikachu received a burn. The first time Pikachu touched Ursaring, static was inflicted, the very first time Electabuzz used thunder, Monferno became paralyzed. How could not see the one-sidedness of that? It should've taken more than one hit to be afflicted by a status.

And you claim it was fair in the game-wise, except apparently to you mach punch goes at the same time as thunder punch.

pokeguru

I like to play hero!
How can some of you say you enjoy Ash getting beat by Paul multiple times?? Oh, now I get it! Paul despises Ash for being a caring trainer, but Ash despises Paul even more.

I guess hate doesn't pay.

Ragnarofl

Binkan Binkan Binkan
I would like to say that I'm surprised so many people wished it to be a close match. A close match doesn't give us anything to look forward to. A close match states that their training philosophies are separate, but equal. No, only by losing badly can Ash really look deep within himself and find out what he really wants to accomplish with his training. His philosophy can evolve as a result.
Agreed completely.
Ideally, they will pull this off, using this full battle defeat as a trigger.

Barbarooza

BarBOSSA
dman, grow some balls and get over it (re: your 'analysis'). I don't really wanna call it an analysis because all you seemed to do it in was bitch over how Ash supposedly got screwed.

I think the writers did a good thing in letting Ash get the siht beaten out of him, as it will allow for more *gasp* development. (am I allowed to say that word or is it banned?).

Finally, Ash getting beaten soundly makes up for years of Ash's cheap wins (need I remind you all of 'Thunder Armour'?)