• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Evolving Strategy (600)

Leonhart

Imagineer
I must admit that I was shocked when Satoshi's Pikachu got burned, because status afflictions hardly show up in the anime. Shinji's team seemed so much more cohesive than Satoshi's overall.

Genaller

Silver Soul
What’s the name of the ost in the japenease version when Paul’s Torterra is controlling the trajectory of Stone Edge against Chimchar (basically what’s the japenease ost during the scene when Torterra attacks Chimchar with Stone Edge)?

Daizy

I call you honey
So Ash got his backside handed to him and it's gonna make his inevitable defeat of Paul feel exciting and hyped. Ash is showing progress in DP for sure, he just has more work to do.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Given Shinji's huge lead at the end of the match here, Satoshi's win against him at the Shinou League now seems more impressive since he developed so much since this battle.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Oh, look, it's one of the worst battles in the series.

Paul just lost in a humiliating manner to Brandon? Well, we can't have him actually learn anything, so let's have him crush Ash even though it makes no sense narratively, especially since this is after we've seen just how horrifying Paul's treatment of Chimchar actually was.

Red and Blue

Despite Ash losing this is one of my favorite battles in the series. What really twisted the knife is that Paul just walked away without even acknowledging Ash.

What's funny is Ash will lose 6-2 once again to Tobias

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Oh, look, it's one of the worst battles in the series.

Paul just lost in a humiliating manner to Brandon? Well, we can't have him actually learn anything, so let's have him crush Ash even though it makes no sense narratively, especially since this is after we've seen just how horrifying Paul's treatment of Chimchar actually was.
Well on Paul's end he gave us one of the best strategical showings in a pokemon battle ever.Only thing he could have learned from that battle against Brandon was to keep control of his emotions.
Despite Ash losing this is one of my favorite battles in the series. What really twisted the knife is that Paul just walked away without even acknowledging Ash.

What's funny is Ash will lose 6-2 once again to Tobias
Paul's 6-2 victory against Ash was more impressive imo because he wasn't using legendaries and he used both power/strategy to crush Ash.3 of the pokemon featured in that Lake Acuity battle were the same ones that got destroyed against Brandon's Regis.

Saraneon

Lake Acuity was a great battle... It could give Paul and Ash's Sinnoh League battle a run for its money. Of course if Paul used the same Pokemon in the League/Conference as he did in the Lake Acuity battle then the battle would be "predictable". But I would have loved to see another full battle with his team of six here (whom I thought was his strongest except Drapion should be included :) Yes Ash lost 6-2 (which was uh, horrifying to say the least) but it prompted him to train harder I suppose. The main thing was that Paul losing to Brandon does not mean Paul is an incompetent trainer. I feel like that was the importance of "6-2" where we could conclude that Paul was at the very least on Ash's level since Ash won over Brandon.

The reasons for Ash's win against Brandon and Paul's loss have been greatly brooded over so I will not mention them, but you guys should know why.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Lake Acuity was a great battle... It could give Paul and Ash's Sinnoh League battle a run for its money. Of course if Paul used the same Pokemon in the League/Conference as he did in the Lake Acuity battle then the battle would be "predictable". But I would have loved to see another full battle with his team of six here (whom I thought was his strongest except Drapion should be included :) Yes Ash lost 6-2 (which was uh, horrifying to say the least) but it prompted him to train harder I suppose. The main thing was that Paul losing to Brandon does not mean Paul is an incompetent trainer. I feel like that was the importance of "6-2" where we could conclude that Paul was at the very least on Ash's level since Ash won over Brandon.

The reasons for Ash's win against Brandon and Paul's loss have been greatly brooded over so I will not mention them, but you guys should know why.
Oh T-E-D-U-M-H is definitely crushing Ash's SL team,that's why the writers decided to change his final team vs Ash at the League

Ash never defeated Torterra in a battle,Infernape would be the only one I could see taking it out but more than likely would need Blaze since we never seen Torterra's full capabilities against a more formidable opponent excluding Cynthia's Garchomp.Pikachu isn't defeating it since it's Hax powers weren't going to be available until it faced Tobias's Latios.

Infernape needs Blaze to beat Electivire of course

Pikachu could defeat Honchkrow and Magmortar,not sure about Ursaring because without it's Guts ability it's still a powerhouse,when it uses Bulk Up it increases both it's attack/defense but if Ursaring does have Guts + Bulk Up it's game over for Pikachu.

I can see Infernape beating Drapion and Ursaring but he might need Blaze,Ursaring probably received some extra training prior to the league based on it's performance against Barry.It took several super effective attacks from Barry's Hitmonlee + took it's own focus blast yet was still standing.Infernape only beat Ursaring after it already swept half of Ash's team and when it's ability Blaze activated.

I can't see Buizel,Staraptor,Torterra,Gible or Gliscor beating any of Paul's strongest pokemon in a 1 on 1 scenario so it would require a group effort.

Aggron/Gastrodon were used to scout Ash's team,Ninjask/Froslass used to disrupt and wear down,Electivire/Drapion used to defeat Ash's team which was 5/6.Now just imagine Ash having to face Paul's Lake Acuity team.Just with an evolved Electivire and the new addition of Drapion.OVERKILL.

RafaSceptile

Of course if Paul used the same Pokemon in the League/Conference as he did in the Lake Acuity battle then the battle would be "predictable".
Using the same Pokémon doesn't make the battles predictables, using the same strategies is what it makes. Also the battle was already "predictable" in the outcome, what makes the battle interesting is how the battle is handled.

I would prefer if Ash battled the same Paul's team in the Lake Acuity during the Sinnoh League because I'm not a fan of the last minute new Pokémon, but that is apparently a tendency with Alain's 4 new Pokémon and Professor Kukui 3 (or 4 if you count Lucario) new Pokémon.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I am not pleased with this battle, personally I think it's a bunch of bull, but no one would agree with me.
-----

And again of course it doesn't matter what I say, because nothing would come of it from complaining.
---------
Poor Ash, falls victim to the writers' schemes all the time.
Wow you really haven't changed much throughout all these years.... Congrats on the consistency XD

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Honestly, I don't like this battle at all (however I think it was a very good two-parter episode), I like much more the next episode focusing on Ash after this humilliating L
I meant more about the way they worded the post rather then their opinions specifically ;P
I love this battle, it was much needed and a great way to further ash Vs Paul rivalry arc

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
Good episode. I liked seeing Magmortar's Flame Body and Ursaring's Guts activate, although I disliked how the latter beat three of Ash's Pokemon. It was cool to see Chimchar evolve, but I wish the battle between Monferno and Electabuzz had ended in a draw. Ursaring knocking Pikachu into Lake Acuity was chilling. The ending of the episode was saddening.
7/10

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
At this point I don’t know how else to praise DP in these essays I write, I think I’ve used nearly ever complimentary term in the book by now.

This is objectively one of the best episodes of Pokemon and in DP itself is one of, if not the best ep by this point. Raw kino fire goat you name it, this battle was insane. The amount of clever tactics and ability activating from Paul had me on the edge of my seat; it really was a battle so focused on cornering and cutting off Ash. Pokémon has always incorporated abilities and still does so today obviously, but I feel like in DP they were a given nearly every battle. Flame Body, the Bulk Up combined with Guts (his Urasing is a menace like my god), the Protect + Light Screen combo. All these abilities and combined tactics really made the battle feel exciting and fresh, like you didn’t know what Paul would pull out next.

Loved the animation here too, very fluid and dynamic particularly with Ursaring and Electabuzz vs Monferno. There was a great sense of weight and speed to the visuals which just added to the tension. Chimchar evolving into Monferno was fitting and honestly the coolest evolution in the series yet next to Gliscor’s.

Reggie saying verbatim the whole theme and message of their rivalry not about being who’s right, but about how their connection makes them put their pride on the line and grow individually as trainers was exactly it. Ash acknowledging how well Paul and his team work together, while also having Chimchar evolve this ep proves Reggie right again when he said Pokemon are compatible with different people. It’s really two sides of the same coin, a simple base concept but executed so naturally and well.

This was an extreme loss for Ash. Isn’t it to this day his worst serious loss ever? 1 to 4 is rough. I love it because it shows how Paul isn’t playing around, he left the Battle Pyramid with clarity and renewed focus and did exactly what he put his mind to.

The end of the ep was very sobering and palpable in its emotion; the sunset and shading really sold this battle being a long and tiring one. Love loved the juxtaposition of Paul genuinely smiling in appreciation and being honest with others for once with Ash’s face being hidden and the way his mouth trembled. A very impactful reversal of their usual roles and great setup for their further development. Ahhh just masterclass

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Every pokemon in Paul's lineup except Weavile felt like Bosses.
Torterra
  • Frenzy Plant as it's finishing move
  • Uses Bite/Giga Drain combo after opponent goes in for a close range attack
  • Has the ability to change the direction of Stone Edge
  • Tank

Ursaring
  • Absorbs a lot of blows similar to Ash's Snorlax
  • Bulk Up Increases Attack/Defense power
  • Guts increases Attack power
  • Hammer Arm is capable of destroying attacks like Water Gun (Pre Bulk Up)

Electabuzz
  • Uses Light Screen to cover up for the rest of Paul's team
  • Static paralyzes the opponent
  • Reguarlly uses Protect to draw out long battles
  • Has a powerful Thunder
  • Has a lot of endurance

Magmortar
  • Flame Body inflicts burn damage to opponent when there's contact
  • Uses Rock Tomb as a shield and for suprise attacks
  • Tank
  • Has a powerful Flamethrower

Honchkrow
  • Super Luck increases chances of a critical hit
  • Haze removes all status changes
  • Has a lot of endurance
  • Has a powerful Sky Attack

Weavile
  • Swords Dance increases Attack power
  • It's speed allowed it to dodge Staraptor's Aerial Ace and still have enough time to get on top of it for a close range attack

Last edited:

Peluched49

This is still one of the best battles in the series. And as psychological as a pokemon fight can get. Every attack matters, there is constant progression, and tension throughout the fight. The strategies which only the second paul fight and the olympia fight match. The fight is not there as a part of the story, the fight is the story and it sets up their league battle in a fantastic way.