1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

EV's and IV's; do you really think they are important.

Discussion in 'Poképolls' started by bobri28, Jan 25, 2010.

?

Do you waory about EV's IV's and natures?

1. No, i take what i have and work with it. those things arn't that important to me.

9 vote(s)
    23.7%
  2. Yes, i spend months breeding for a pokemon with perfect IV's , then i go and EV train

11 vote(s)
    28.9%
  3. I take a little intrest in nature and EV's and IV's. They don't worry me to much

18 vote(s)
    47.4%
  1. bobri28

bobri28 Get your snacks

Do you breed for perfect IV's? Do you spend hours EV training your pokemon? Do you breed for perfect natures? Or do you catch your pokemon and treat them like indeviduals and work with what you have? I work with what i have and do not focus on EV's and IV's or natures to much. I know the pokemon may be weaker that way, but i think that EV's and IV's and natures and stuff take to much of the fun away from pokemon. But then again, that is just my opinion, what's yours?

2. Ami the Trainer

Ami the Trainer Breeder and Artist

I don't worry about them my first play-through of any game. Once I've completed everything I start breeding and training for the best possible combination.

3. Lord Scalgon

Lord Scalgon What title?

Yes, it's the epitome between victory or defeat in the world of competitive battling.

Also, speaking of breeding, we competitive battlers can easily cut our wait time thanks to RNG abuse. If you don't know what it is, look it up on Smogon.

4. Kreis

Kreis Still Dirrty

I think people have their different ideas of fun, and you should let it be. I personally find it fun EV training, breeding for good natures and IVs.

5. DarthVader

DarthVader Well-Known Member

Yes, you need top-of-the-range Pokemon when you're versing not only competitive players on wifi, but trainers in the Battle Frontier.

However, I haven't done any IV breeding, but I kind of intend doing so when HGSS is released.

6. Final

Final I Submit to No One

Natures and EVs are the most important part to the success or failure of a Pokemon but when it comes to IVs, yeah, they're important too. Especially when it comes to speed ties against opposing Pokemon, the difference between OHKOing and 2HKOing something as well as specific Hidden Powers and the desired power level of a Hidden Power. I myself don't spend hours and possibly weeks getting perfect IVs in all stats from breeding but I do care about them to an extent.

7. bobri28

bobri28 Get your snacks

yeah, that is a good way to do it

8. Cipher

Cipher Nothing to be done

EVs, yes (when I actually have time to play). IVs, no. That is, I'm sure they are a deciding factor in some situations, but it's not enough to make me go through the insane amounts of breeding. Once I get an egg with the right Nature, I call it quits.

9. Black Murder Heavangelon

Black Murder Heavangelon Ow! Ow! Harder! Ow!

I used to do that. I would nab the first one with the right nature and start training it right away.

But once I had greater control of abusing Synchronize (Pokeradar'd Ralts fill my boxes), I began giving a damn about IV breeding. I always chose the best out of six, assuming it has the right nature and ability, and store it in my box if I happen to be training another pokemon. It's easier on the legendaries as well if you have Synchronize and a spare Master ball.

Probably my worst case scenario of IV breeding was when I was breeding for a Phanpy, when the father Sneasel had poor IV's. I began IV hunting male Sneasels for a day or two before a good one was picked.

Tl;Dr When I got serious about training, I got serious about EV's. When I got serious about breeding, I got serious about IV's. To some extent.

Also, can we get a broader range of poll choices? The months bit only applied to my horrendous month of IV breeding for a HP Fire Megnemite.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  10. No. 1 Machop Fan

No. 1 Machop Fan Well-Known Member

Same here. I never have the time or patience to IV breed, especially while I only train for tournaments since I don't have Wi-fi.

11. Illusione-Tempus

Illusione-Tempus Well-Known Member

I do have the time to play and EV train, but patience? I have none ._.

...Though Pokemon that I like usually gets the honor from me to EV train them (eg. my Modest Piplup) ;P

12. Neekerisanni123

Neekerisanni123 Kanbei <3 _ <3

I don't give a damn about those stupid Ev's and Ivs. Yea, I have the time to Ev-train my pokemans, but I don't have the patience needed to do it.

13. Yeah I do spend the time to iv breed my pokemon, and it doesn't take months, generally take a hour or two, and yes I spend the time to ev train, which on a good day, I can get a pokemon done in 20-30 minutes

14. Aquadon

Aquadon TCG Trainer

Pokemon's Nature: Yes. Effort Points: Yes. Individual Values: NO. Just not worth Breeding that long for a Stat that takes a computer to calculate.

15. The_Boss_Giygas

The_Boss_Giygas I. F.E.E.L. G.O.O.D.

I think it's fun ev training ie battling specific pokemon rather than random ones, but I'm not so much into breeding for perfection, takes too long & is a waste of pokemon, I prefer catching them & training them based on what ever nature I catch them at. I hardly ever have more than 1 of the same pokemon.

EDIT: Like my friend who has 3 charizards and he only uses 1 cause it's the "best" ev trained one the others just sit there
    (waste of pokemon)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  16. KingRaichu

KingRaichu Hail to da king baby

I certainly try if i feel like it, but I'm not that serious...

17. AKRy100

AKRy100 Shockingly electric!

I just catch my pokemon and if they don't have a beneficial nature then oh well. But if it has a good nature then great! I EV train it. I don't really take notice of individual values, however.

18. I probably would EV train if I was to battle competitively. I wouldn't spend hours on it though.

I don't give a damn about IVs.

19. clone1

clone1 Aesthetics brahz

Natures: Yes
    Breeding for natures is alright in my opinion and makes the set possibilities endless.
    EVs: Yes
    Again, if you competitive battle these are important and make the game so much fun.
    IV: Yes
    Makes some pokemon more valuable than others and I don't mind breeding to get them.

20. GreenDay4ever

GreenDay4ever bye!, i had a blast

i dont really breed for IV... except for maybe if one parent has 31 in one stat...

EV train... yes... it doesn't really take much time with pokeradar, power items and pokérus...

Nature's... neccesary... even for pokemons I dont ev train...