• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ev's and why I hate them.

jacobii

Third Wheel in J#+IB
I know that having a way to imrpove specific stats brings more strategy to the game, but isn't regular training tedious enough? Ev's would be fine if the way of getting them was more simple and less time consuming.

What do you guys think?

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
EV training isn't any more time consuming than training by blindly killing whatever appears in front of you.

If anything, it goes a lot faster than the method you seem to prefer, provided you know what you're doing.

Snar

IMO they should add an EV modifier in the next game. Once you beat the game a character on the game should allow you to modify a pokemon Evs once.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
I do know how to Ev train. If I didn't, how would I know that it's time consumming?

If you think EV training is time-consuming, you're doing it wrong.

IMO they should add an EV modifier in the next game. Once you beat the game a character on the game should allow you to modify a pokemon Evs once.

lolyeahrightokay

randomspot555

If you find it confusing, don't do it. But don't say it's too time consuming. It takes 10 minutes to do one Pokemon, and I've made several teams in under an hour.

There are EV reducing berries for that.

Snar

If you find it confusing, don't do it. But don't say it's too time consuming. It takes 10 minutes to do one Pokemon, and I've made several teams in under an hour.

I know about the berries. I mean give us the freedom to modify them like we could on Netbattle.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
I know about the berries. I mean give us the freedom to modify them like we could on Netbattle.

They should also let us alter our Pokemon's IVs directly, rather than forcing us to waste all that time learning RNG abuse.

Come to think of it, why haven't they let us create custom Pokemon out of hammerspace yet? I mean, they have it on NetBattle and PO.

randomspot555

Because Pokemon the game has to have mechanics that work in the entire Pokemon universe. NetBattle only simulates person-vs-person online battling.

There are ways to modify EVs, and it's not hard to open up a Google Doc and keep track of it manually.

Kelz

More saving. More doing.™
I do know how to Ev train. If I didn't, how would I know that it's time consumming?

'Cuz if you're trying to do somthing you're no good at (not saying you are), then that will make the task tedious and time consuming.

Gelatino95

Not a tool
EV training is NOT time consuming at all. All you have to do is make sure you've got all the stuff you need, and you're all set. It really shouldn't take a long time if you're doing it right. Once you get all the EVs in, just power-level the pokemon by attaching an Exp. Share to it and battling Morimoto or Cynthia. That's what I do, and I'm done with it in a very short amount of time.

Or I don't know, maybe you're just impatient.

DrasticPhase

Half ded
Wait,do you have the power items to boost the EVs?
Because if you dont have any power items,it is alot of work.also,do you use the vitamins?like the protein and such.the vitamins give 10EV points each so if you use 10,you get 100 EV points
Heres are some examples
you are EV training in attack so you need to go to patrats and lillipups.
Patrat and lillipups give one EV in attack
No vitamins and no power items=252 patrats/lillipups
no vitamins with power items=50 and 2 w/o power item
vitamins(10) and no power items=152
vitamins(10) with power item=30 and 2 w/o power item
do you see the difference?

Sorry if it is confusing

Richelle

The Girl On Fire
I don't think EV training is time consuming at all.. With pokerus, vitamins, and power items it goes pretty fast for me. Way easier than just leveling up in my opinion.

EV training takes a half hour tops.. compared to .. what, 10 hours to get a Pokemon to level 100?

blonde_1

To do RNGs: 0
Wait,do you have the power items to boost the EVs?
Because if you dont have any power items,it is alot of work.also,do you use the vitamins?like the protein and such.the vitamins give 10EV points each so if you use 10,you get 100 EV points
Heres are some examples
you are EV training in attack so you need to go to patrats and lillipups.
Patrat and lillipups give one EV in attack
No vitamins and no power items=252 patrats/lillipups
no vitamins with power items=50 and 2 w/o power item
vitamins(10) and no power items=152
vitamins(10) with power item=30 and 2 w/o power item
do you see the difference?

Sorry if it is confusing

And don't forget about pokerus! That doubles the EVs gained from every battle!
So pokerus + power item = 25 w/ power item and 1 w/o power item :)

Cipher

Nothing to be done
It takes about an hour tops if you have the Power Items, even with no vitamins and no Pokerus. With vitamins, it usually only takes me like half an hour.

Say you need 252 in a certain STAT. If you can find something that gives +2 and has a high appearance rate, each kill with the right power item will give you +6. That's about 40 wins, which often just means going through all your PP, going to a Pokemon Center once, and then coming back.

But uuuuusually, I'll throw a lot of vitamins in first. Then that same Pokemon only needs about twenty wins to complete training in that STAT, which takes no time at all.

After that, the new experience system makes it a breeze to catch the Pokemon up to level 50 or 60 with Exp. Share and switching out. It's only for the last thirty or so levels that things get tedious.

Come to think of it, why haven't they let us create custom Pokemon out of hammerspace yet? I mean, they have it on NetBattle and PO.
Because the online simulators don't capture a major aspect of the games: discrepancies in effort. The actual Pokemon metagame is about strategy, luck and effort (training, breeding and raising). The simulators remove a full third of that equation to create a very different experience that the actual franchise will never support.

Although I will say these are currently way too hard to come by to be useful.

Last edited:

Geekachu

I know that having a way to imrpove specific stats brings more strategy to the game, but isn't regular training tedious enough? Ev's would be fine if the way of getting them was more simple and less time consuming.

What do you guys think?

Well if you're in the right area then EV training can be really quick, for example Route 1 Unova for Attack EV training. It's the same principle as fighting wild Pokemon, except it's more selective.

And besides, nothing worth having comes easy

lolyeahrightokay

Nice.