• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Excadrill is gone, now what?

ShadowKyogre443

오션 마스터
What are you talking about, replacement? So far I've seen nothing effectively replace Shaymin-S, Darkrai, Manaphy, Blaziken, or Garchomp. You can't really claim that Zapdos is the next Thundurus; Zapdos doesn't get Nasty Plot or Focus Blast. You can't really claim Sandslash is the next Excadrill; Sandslash has shittier stats in everything but defense, less immediate power, and no immunity to Toxic and Toxic Spikes. No Pokémon can be the exact same as another; Gliscor and Skarmory may have similar roles, but one can lay Spikes and use Whirlwind and another has a resistance to fighting and can use Earthquake. Similar Pokémon but with characteristics that make them fit more reliably to specific teams...

Are you just ranting in this thread? I mean seriously, what are you hoping to be discussed here, how much we'll miss him or something?

Garch0mp0utrage

SemiPokemonUnMaster
It's kinda good that Exca was banned, although I'm gonna be pretty screwed over when I can't find the poke to replace him. (there's landorus but no...I hate him)

They could ban his ability however allowing him access only to sand force. That'd be the least they could do because I really don't want to see Excadrill like this forever...

It's not too bad. Now you don't need Sandstorm and Swords Dance.

Yeah, if Shell Smash Excadrill was legal, you wouldn't even need Sand Rush. You could just run around in a Sandstorm with Sand Power boosted Earthquakes and Rock Slides (eat your heart out, Landorus). Heck, if Excadrill got Shell Smash, it wouldn't have taken him this long to be banned, lol.

Lulamoon

Cheese for everyone!
I used my Excadrill as more of an anti-sandstorm. While I am making a Sandstorm team, I never planned for Excadrill to be part of it.
I don't think Excadrill should have been banned, but it doesn't bother me too much. I think Excadrill had enough counters to remain in OU; its biggest counter being any other weather. It has high HP and good resistances, but I think with its low defenses, its high HP is almost meaningless.

Cometk

west side
Are you just ranting in this thread? I mean seriously, what are you hoping to be discussed here, how much we'll miss him or something?

Ok, avoid one of my posts, that's whatever. Avoid the entire topic, yeah you're approaching tinfoil hat status. The topic of this thread was to guage what people think will happen to the OU metagame without Excadrill. Do you think heavy offense will be harder to overcome? Do you think usage in Ninetales will spike?

Read the mother****ing original post.

GOLDENCRS

I'm a f***** Ponyta
Weird, I totally forgot to bring up a possible counter, Flame Orb Mach Punch Conkeldurr. With Flame Orb+Guts, he gets up to 624 Attack. From Poke Marriland's Damage Calc, it does from 348 to 409 damage, at most leaving it with 10 HP left. May not really be a counter, but a check

The Jock

Banned

He's not ranting, he's bringing up an extremely relevant point that less competent players fail to see. No need to act like a tool.

LinksOcarina

The true master
Who else has players who even come close? If you can't make the voting requirements, don't bash on the players

Let me know when i'm bashing players when I say that it is highly debatable smogon has the best battlers in the world. It is impossible to quantify such a thing at all. Nothing against to the players, i'm sure they are excellent battlers in their own right, but to say they are the best is impossible when the best can be anyone.

But this is off topic. You kind of hit the nail on the head for me Cometk. Thank you for understanding.

The Jock

Banned
Let me know when i'm bashing players when I say that it is highly debatable smogon has the best battlers in the world. It is impossible to quantify such a thing at all. Nothing against to the players, i'm sure they are excellent battlers in their own right, but to say they are the best is impossible when the best can be anyone.

But this is off topic. You kind of hit the nail on the head for me Cometk. Thank you for understanding.

It's not debatable at all when everyone in this thread is refuting you and we follow their tiers.

Gamefreak

The person who won Worlds in the VGC is from Smogon. He won it two years in a row. Also, while things may remain static LinksOcarina, that doesn't mean that usage wouldn't be moved a little bit.

That pokemon may still have most of its role, but loses one of its major selling points for using it in the tier. To counter or check Excadrill for example. It is like how they banned Latias and Salamence in gen 4, then people started using F/W/G teams instead of steel/dragon.

Some things may remain static, but some things may increase or dwindle in usage.

ShadowKyogre443

오션 마스터
Ok, avoid one of my posts, that's whatever. Avoid the entire topic, yeah you're approaching tinfoil hat status. The topic of this thread was to guage what people think will happen to the OU metagame without Excadrill. Do you think heavy offense will be harder to overcome? Do you think usage in Ninetales will spike?

Read the motherfucking original post.

Oh I read it all right, and it doesn't seem too productive. Us players simply choose another Pokemon in place of Excadrill, it's not a hard concept.

Cometk

west side
Oh I read it all right, and it doesn't seem too productive. Us players simply choose another Pokemon in place of Excadrill, it's not a hard concept.

I've already proven to you that Sandslash is trash, stop trying to be a hipster. And besides, it's not like this thread is about you using Sandslash and how it's going to effect the metagame, it's about how Excadrill leaving it did.

...except that there's no Pokemon that can truly replace Excadrill.

Besides, people finding a "replacement" for Excadrill isn't the only possible outcome of his ban. There's a lot of other concepts to discuss, a couple of which Comet pointed out in that post you quoted.

ShadowKyogre443

오션 마스터
I've already proven to you that Sandslash is trash, stop trying to be a hipster. And besides, it's not like this thread is about you using Sandslash and how it's going to effect the metagame, it's how Excadrill leaving it did.

Well apparently we have to deal with what we get then. Bringing cussing and name-calling into this is really unacceptable. If Pokemon brings you rage I'm leaving.

Fortunato

Sic Transit Gloria

Are you trying to be a troll, or are you that ****ing stupid? You can't replace excadrill, that's how good he was. What're you gonna use stoutland? sandslash? Get real, this discussion is for players who want to discuss how excadrill's ban will have an effect on the metagame. Cause guess what? Its gonna be pretty ****ing big. Honestly if you're gonna post in here get a clue and stop making useless posts.

As for the actual discussion, sun has already seen a huge increase in usage being the only weather left with a double speed ability. Sand will still be plenty viable just won't have the raw power and usage that it had when Exca was playing in OU. I also think scarfers usage is gonna go up, they were still viable with Exca, but now there's more that get a chance to shine.