• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Excadrill is gone, now what?

Cometk

west side
Well apparently we have to deal with what we get then.

You're playing in a competitive environment, your mindset should be "what Pokémon can I use that will give me the best chance at winning," not "well this Pokémon sucks, but I'll use it anyway."

Bringing cussing and name-calling into this is really unacceptable. If Pokemon brings you rage I'm leaving.

Oh no, it's not Pokémon that makes me angry, it's users like you who come into a thread, make a completely incoherent post, then act cocky as all hell when I point out to you you're wrong.

Gamefreak

I don't think there is a perfect replacement for any of the banned pokemon. That is why they are banned. It is like how Landorus doesn't perfectly replace Garchomp, because they are different. To fix your teams, you have to re-invent the wheel.

Guys, quit the fighting and bashing in this thread by the way. Keep the debate a little cooler.

ShadowKyogre443

오션 마스터
Oh no, it's not Pokémon that makes me angry, it's users like you who come into a thread, make a completely incoherent post, then act cocky as all hell when I point out to you you're wrong.

Funny thing, I came into here wondering why you were so cocky.

You're playing in a competitive environment, your mindset should be "what Pokémon can I use that will give me the best chance at winning," not "well this Pokémon sucks, but I'll use it anyway."
All I'm saying is that we obviously have to use another Pokemon besides Excadrill .

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
Yeah, Excadrill and Sandslash are like Garchomp and Flygon: completely different roles that mean the later can't replace the former.

ShadowKyogre443

오션 마스터
Cocky vs. Cocky, you sure you wanna go?

I'm not even trying to be cocky here when I ask what the hell are you going to do to me.

I'm not in the mood to do this crap, so if you'd like to argue about actual Pokemon stuff then good.

I'm not even trying to be cocky here when I ask what the hell are you going to do to me.

I'm not in the mood to do this crap, so if you'd like to argue about actual Pokemon stuff then good.

Either be productive, or leave this thread. Comet has for the most part presented intelligent arguments, but all you have done is bash them without any sort of good counter argument. Sorry, but Sandslash and the dog-thing will nor replace Excadrill. Even if they can sorta fill similar roles they won't be used NEARLY as much and thus won't effect the metagame much even if they are in some way usable.

Stop with the crap, now.

LinksOcarina

The true master
See nothing is going to replace Excadrill, it's impossible to do so.

And I think that is the point, we should actually expect sand teams and sand rush/stream to go down now that one of their big guns has been removed. But, like I said, i still honestly feel nothing will change personally except some usage statistics and maybe a jump or two from some of the UU crowd.

EmeraldGoblin

Rehab, no. Dead.
did someone say cock?
anyway, I like him gone, and im sad he is gone, and im angry he is gone, and im happy he is gone.... i have a big rush of emotions when i think of excadrill.... ohh well, i guess with no excadrill, the toed will take a bigger shine :(

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
Excadrill banned???? How did I not know this? Aw but I lOve that pokemon why does it have to be banned? :( oh well just shows u how good it is I guess. But did it have to come after I think about making a sand team? Dangit

The Jock

Banned
evan0913 said:
How is Whimsicott shit?I always checked Excadrill with its stun powder anyway. It can also easily beat the mole 1 on 1 if it is behind a sub or comes into Sword Dance or Earthquake and Encore it.

Edit: Oops, this is a bit late isn't it... lol

Whimsicott isn't good at all and while it can check Excadrill with a 75% accurate move, it's pretty much shut down by Grass Types/Anything with Leech Seed and has poor stats.

Psycho Cut

Sand was always inferior in terms of weather abusing sweepers. Now that all remains are stoutland and landorus. Stoutland, as cool as it is, is simply not going to function all that well in OU. Landorus is ok, but to prevent him being outsped and OHKO'd with any ice move, he'll need to be scarved. So, an increase in the usage of scarved landorus, but a decrease in sand usage in general.

Shame, sand was my favourite kind of team :(

Excadrill had approximately two hard counters: Gliscor and Rotom-W. Of course, this required that people would have to give multiple counters to Excadrill in case some teammates wiped out their main counter, giving at most four open slots for other Pokemon. It also caused many people to use unorthodox sets such as Air Balloon Terrakion, Ninetales were geared to outspeed it under the Sun, etc. For better or worse, it greatly influenced the metagame. Every team had to have at least one check so that they wouldn't get swept. For those of you whinging about your mole getting banned, perhaps you should fight a good Sandstorm team and face the wrath of the monster mole that just so happens to be smaller than Chikorita

Here are my predictions for what will happen to the metagame:

1: Pokemon like Volcarona and Dragonite will rise. These were pretty much hard-countered by Drill (except in the rare event that Volc could set up 2 Quiver Dances), and now the mole has been Uberfied. True, there is one less spinner available, but there are several other good spinners such as Forretress (who pairs nearly perfectly with Dragonite) and Tentacruel.

2: Stall use will escalate as well. With his immunity to Toxic and Toxic Spikes (and Air Balloon negates Spikes damage) he could switch in on Ferrothorn or something, set up to +6, and sweep. Of course there are other threatening stallbreakers, but Excadrill was a key one. IIRC he can OHKO Skarmory with a +6 Rock Slide.

3: Sand will become largely outclassed by Sun. We've seen this in action already, as Sun is the only weather with useful speed demons. Venusaur can sweep a Sand team with ease, and Rain if it gets set up well enough. Scarf Darmanitan also threatens everything under the sun (ha!) with Sheer Force STAB sun-boosted Flare Blitzes coming off a base 140 Attack stat.

complete legitimacy

pack that fudge
Excadrill had approximately two hard counters: Gliscor and Rotom-W. Of course, this required that people would have to give multiple counters to Excadrill in case some teammates wiped out their main counter, giving at most four open slots for other Pokemon. It also caused many people to use unorthodox sets such as Air Balloon Terrakion, Ninetales were geared to outspeed it under the Sun, etc. For better or worse, it greatly influenced the metagame. Every team had to have at least one check so that they wouldn't get swept. For those of you whinging about your mole getting banned, perhaps you should fight a good Sandstorm team and face the wrath of the monster mole that just so happens to be smaller than Chikorita

Actually, Return hits both of them pretty hard too. I know Rotom-W is OHKOd at +2, and Gliscor doesn't like taking them either. Excadrill was just unhealthy for the metagame in general.

LinksOcarina

The true master
So with Excadrill gone, you think usage of Rotom-W and Gliscor will drop a bit, now that they have one less thing (and it is a big thing) to counter?

Cometk

west side
So with Excadrill gone, you think usage of Rotom-W and Gliscor will drop a bit, now that they have one less thing (and it is a big thing) to counter?

I've been seeing a slight drop in Gliscor but it's not going to fall much with Pokémon like Terrakion still out there. I don't see a drop in Rotom-W however, while the bulky sets may've lost a function in checking Excadrill, Choice Specs and Choice Scarf sets are still going to remain a popular choice.