• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Except Me (Multiple Hikari shippings - Rated T)

Mel-Girl can't resist polls so... Do you like the way this fic is progressing?

• Yeah! It's all been great! Loved every chapter!

Votes: 25 59.5%
  • Alright/Bad/Good to begin with, getting better as it progresses

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Great to begin with but I don't like this as much (care to tell me why? XD)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Psh, it's okay. It's just an average fic, don't really care.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • This fic sucks. My pet cat can write better.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Mel-Girl should stop making polls and update.

Votes: 8 19.0%

• Total voters

Mel-Girl

left. right.
EXCEPT ME

By Mel-Girl

Haha, as you can see, I've tidied up the first post and added some colour. Sorry if it's too bright or whatever.

INFORMATION: Well I started up this fic because I am a definite Multishipper and I can never choose which shippings I like best. But I have a passion for writing shipping fics and so I decided that as Hikari is my favourite character to ship, I'd do a fic that features like all of the Hikari shippings I like. Then I decided to add in extra shippings for other characters, make the characters teenagers, throw them in high school, add in the humour and let it all go from there.

So if you like humour, tons of different shippings and uh... Mel-Girl, then this is the fic for you! Well, hopefully. Please give it a go. XD

SUMMARY: Kengo has a crush on his closest friend Hikari. The problem is, Hikari just hasn't noticed. So while Hikari is off dating various guys, Kengo's stuck on the outside, not confident enough to admit how he feels. Will he ever open up or will Hikari end up happy with some other guy?

Reviews and constructive criticism are extremely welcome. My spelling might be a tad different to American as I'm from New Zealand (eg. I spell colour, while you guys may spell color).

CHAPTER LIST

Chapter One: Accident
Chapter Two: Trouble
Chapter Three: Better Luck Next Time
Chapter Four: Wasn't How It's Supposed To Be
Chapter Five: Double
Chapter Six: Bowling! Let's Mix It Up!
Chapter Seven: Yumomi declares war!
Chapter Eight: Lifesaver wanted!
Chapter Nine: Truth and Feelings
Chapter Ten: Working Things Out
Chapter Eleven: Gossip!
Chapter Twelve: Troublesome
Chapter Thirteen: Anything But Perfect
Chapter Fourteen: No Better Than You
Chapter Fifteen: The Melancholy Of...
Chapter Sixteen: You're Kidding Me, Right?

PM LIST
ContestNoir888
Uzamaki Hinata
Manix
Gazmof
WolfGirl23
kawaii-lurve
Pokewiz
CutexDiamond
Drew_and_May_fan
crystal hikari
csisps_26
If you want to be added, just state so in a review, thanks.

ANNOUNCEMENT!

I made a list of the characters in Except Me and then I plonked in their Japanese and their dub names. =D
Kengo – Kenny
Hikari – Dawn
Kasumi – Misty
Haruka – May
Nozomi – Zoey
Satoshi – Ash
Shuu – Drew
Gen – Riley
Shigeru – Gary
Kouhei – Conway
Hiroshi – Ritchie
Harley
Shinji - Paul
Mikuri-sensei – Wallace
Reiji – Reggie
Yumomi – Leona
Saori – Soledad
Kanata – Kelly
Daigo – Steven
Seiyo – Giselle
Moe – Macey
Ayako-sensei – Johanna
Akane-sensei – Whitney
Nanako – Casey
Aoi – Yet to be found out... ;;^^
Kimi – She’s an OC, no dub name needed for her XD
Tsutsuji-sensei – Roxanne
Imite - Duplica

I also have made an 'Except Me' commercial! Here it is! =D

Ships featured in this chapter include: Penguinshipping, Ironwillshipping, a bit of Pokeshipping and if you squint carefully, Contestshipping is vaguely hinted at.

Anywho, enjoy!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Chapter One: Accident

Kengo’s POV

“Kengo?! Can you help me decide what to wear?” Hikari asked, as she dragged me from my room to hers. It wasn’t exactly good for my reputation as hardly any guys were forced out from their dormitory room to go and help a girl choose her outfit for the day. “Haruka-chan keeps suggesting that I wear pink today as it suits me but I’m really not sure! What do you think Satoshi would like to see me wear? Actually, no not Satoshi... I’m trying to think... Who should I impress...”

I could barely answer as being pulled along the floor was far too painful for me to even think about responding. Also, doesn’t her roommate Kasumi like Satoshi? Her other roommate Haruka used to have a thing for her too but then she went after my roommate Shuu instead. Hikari has always been quite outgoing and social, always liking to dress to impress.

Hikari loosened her grip on my shirt collar – which she yanked me along by – and waved to her sleepy roommates. She was always the first to wake up too. “Good morning!” she greeted them, Kasumi falling out of bed with surprise. Haruka was almost as chirpy, using a response with the same cheery tone as Hikari’s, while Nozomi groaned, pulling the sheets over her head.

“Hikari-chan! Why did you bring Kengo here? He’s in his freaking pajamas!” Kasumi shouted, trying to force her duvet off her. I stared down at my green clover pajamas and blushed. At times like this, I wish I was five because then people wouldn’t find me in these pajamas to be stupid.

With a huge grin, Hikari announced, “As Nozomi-chan and Kasumi-chan weren’t interested and pink was all that’s on Haruka-chan’s mind, I brought Kengo to give us a male’s opinion on what outfits we should wear...”

Kasumi shot up and grabbed at my shoulders immediately. “You’re Satoshi’s roommate, right? What’s his favourite kind of outfit for girls?”

I shrugged. “I don’t know Satoshi that well. Uh... Blue? Um... Actually, I don’t think Satoshi cares what the girls wear as long as they share his interests...” Kasumi was nodding in thought, before rushing to the wardrobe to grab a navy cap, short-sleeved green jacket, dark blue singlet and light denim shorts with some white sneakers. That’s just a take on Satoshi’s usual outfit if you ask me.

Looking over at Haruka, I suggested something green or red, which caused her to choose on red mini-dress with green straps and dark green shorts that reached above the knees. She picked a green cardigan to go over top the dress with some red jandals for her feet. I’m incredibly lucky that these girls aren’t changing in front of me.

Nozomi was still half-asleep as she pulled on her boots and put on her sunglasses and left, explaining that she was going to get breakfast. She was still in her pajamas... Hikari looked down at me. “So Kengo! What do you think I should wear?”

“Uh... Um...” I really wanted to suggest a great choice, because then I can gaze at her all day and feel awesome. It might make it harder to keep my crush secret, but hey, she just sees me as one of her best guy friends, so I get to hang around her without guilt or anything.

It’s just kind of hard because she clearly would never see me in that way or she wouldn’t have dragged me from my room and asked my opinion. If she did like me, she wouldn’t dare let me catch her with bed-hair.

Hikari always likes to look perfect, but she doesn’t seem to mind me seeing her like that. Normally I’d tease her about it but that was back when we were ten. Now that we’re fourteen and at boarding school, she doesn’t seem to care that I see.

“That’s it! I got it! Kasumi-chan and Haruka-chan both have crushes and so-” I put my hand up, which silenced Hikari instantly. “What is it?!”

I sighed and asked, “Are you just dressing to impress to grab some guys just because Kasumi and Haruka are clearly interested in impressing some guys? What if you get the guys that Kasumi and Haruka like? What’s the point?” She just giggled and punched my shoulder lightly.

“I just feel left out and hey, if I get a chance to knock all the guy’s dead with a killer outfit, then why not?” she replied, going over to a mirror and brushing her hair.

“You might get some unwanted attention, you know?”

Hikari continued on, ignoring my response. “You know what? I think I’ll try my luck with that good-looking senior Gen! There’s something cool about him and he’s really nice and stuff...” Oh god, I can’t have her chasing after a senior. I glanced at Kasumi and Haruka, but they only seemed to agree with her.

“Doubt he’d see you in that way, Pikari!” I laughed awkwardly. “After all, Gen probably already has a girlfriend. Sure, you two may have chatted before and he seemed really interested in you – I mean, no he didn’t!” Hikari grinned at me and walked up to me, placing the tip of her finger against my forehead. “Okay, so Gen has a slight thing for girls like you...”

“See? I do have a chance!” Hikari answered cheerfully, her eyes shining sapphire with excitement and her cheeks blushing pink.

I sighed, cursing my tendency to blurt out the wrong things at the worst of times, while Hikari started rummaging through her wardrobe. She suddenly started pulling her pj top up and I knew that was the time to make a hasty exit.

Slamming the door behind me, I noticed a familiar face walking through the hallway. “Ah! Were you just in Hikari-san’s room?” I definitely recognised him. That dark navy jacket and that raven black hair and dark blue eyes... He had this look of mystery yet you could tell he was a really nice person. No wonder girls went gaga for this guy. What have I possibly got over this guy?

“Hey Gen...” I mumbled, my cheeks going bright red. “I mean, Gen-san. I wasn’t causing trouble! Hikari was just having trouble choosing an outfit for impressing this guy... So she dragged me from my room suddenly – wonder if she realised that Shinji, Shuu and Satoshi probably saw her in her pjs’ and bed-hair but I think getting my opinion was all that mattered! And so I ended up picking almost every roommate of hers’ outfit for the day and all I learned is that she’s interested in a senior who also happens to be like a prefect or something... Gen-san is his name and – oh.”

I slapped my forehead, feeling annoyed at my mistake. Gen wasn’t supposed to know. I probably just enhanced Hikari’s chances with him without intention! It’s hard to be a guy like me with such a stunning girl as the crush. Too hard to admit feelings and they usually wait for too long and the girl finds happiness with another guy. I can’t believe I stuffed up this early.

Gen smiled, not really minding my slip-up. “Is that so?” He walked over and knocked on the door. “Gen at the door,” he announced, as we heard a loud thump. Likely to be Hikari collapsing in shock and now hurrying to make herself look presentable.

The door slowly opened with Hikari’s hair half down and half in a ponytail, and was wearing a long-sleeved lilac top and still her pajama pants. “S-Sorry, Gen-san... That you have to see me like this...”

“Kengo-san seems to think you’re interested in a certain senior. If you’d like, the certain senior would like to take you outside the school to have lunch elsewhere, if you’re up for it.” My jaw dropped. Man, I could never be cool when asking a girl out. I wish I could be like that.

“O-Oh you mean me, go out with you? Are you s-s-serious?” Hikari asked, stuttering over her words. Gen nodded slightly and she squealed loudly. “Oh, hang on! Today?” Gen shrugged. “I’m totally up for today if that’s fine with you!”

“Sure. Meet you at the school gate at the beginning of lunch,” he replied with a warm smile. Without another word, he continued pacing through the school hallway.

Hikari leapt out at me and glomped me. “Kengo! I love you! You totally helped me get a date with one of the hottest guys in school!”

I ignored the fact she was hugging me, as I felt myself plunge into a dark, never-ending hole. I was actually considering admitting how I felt sometime soon, but there’s no way I can do that now. I’m going to feel bad, but I guess the only way is to get Gen out of the picture.

And I know just the two guys to help me.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

So what do you think? Reviews are always welcome and all. I'm not very good at rounding off author's notes. So anywho, Kengo looks all set to ruin things for Hikari and Gen. So go on, have a guess at who he's going to pick to help him...

Adios!

Last edited:

Chelc

OMGOMGOMG GEN IS IN THIS OMGAKLSJDKLJ. You have no idea how...much more amazing you made your fic by adding Gen. XD; Seriously, IronWillshipping, omfg. <3 It's my other Dawn OTP. AHHHALKSJD. I can't get over it.

Haha, aww, Kengo is super cute in this. As much as I like IronWillshipping, I'm gonna be rooting for Kengo. I love how in character he is. Poor Kengo, he must feel so awkward giving outfit advice...lmao. I can't believe he told Gen, but man. I can't wait for the next chapter now.

Oh btw, I didn't see any mistakes and whatnot - though I think you should describe how Kengo feels about Hikari a little more. That's really all I can suggest. Good job! I can't wait for the next chapter. =]

Mel-Girl

left. right.
Thanks for the reviews! XD Let's see...

@ Chelc - Gen is very awesome, I agree! He's uber special... XD I love IronWillshipping too as well as many other Hikari shippings. Heheh, so you're rooting for Kengo, eh? It's going to be hard because Gen seems like a guy who would make a great boyfriend. And yes, Kengo giving outfit advice. Wonder what he would suggest for Nozomi if she stuck around... And yes, we'll get more on how Kengo feels as the fic progresses.

@ Kiara911 - Heheh, you think so? Kengo always struck me as someone who can act awkward in daunting situations... Hikari isn't going to be with Gen forever though... Dun dun dun!

Also, I'll make a PM list if you all like and everytime I upload a new chapter, I'll have a link to it to make things easier, especially since I'm usually updating once a week at the very least...

Encyclopika

The Queen
Hello there! Stumbled upon this and began reading instantly! Though I don't know Kengo too well, I really think he sounds IC, and is very likeable as a story character in general. The voice you give him is superb and engaging. I really liked hearing his troubles - it was really cute! XD The actually story in itself is also well constructed.
The only thing I can say is that some of your physical conventions are off in your writing. Here and there you miss words or have typos. They're not big or stop comprehension, but they are something to look out for.
Can't wait to see which two guys Kengo's planning on talking to. =o Keep up the great work! ^^

Mel-Girl

left. right.
Chapter Two

@ Encyclopika - Thanks for your review. I hope I don't make as many typos this time around. I even did a check-over. Hope I didn't miss anything!

Anywho, this chapter features: A bit more Ironwill, Cavaliershipping, Penguinshipping, etc... (brain's starting to blank)

Probably some more humour featured in this chapter, I think. And mwahaha, Mikuri's in this chapter! XD

Can't think of anythign else to say. Read on!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Chapter Two: Trouble

Kengo’s POV

I sipped juice, refusing to eat anything, whilst sitting on my bed in my room. Shinji had left to do whatever he usually does for the morning before school, but Satoshi and Shigeru were happy enough to hang around and discuss stuff. I wasn’t really paying attention, even though I pondered when to ask Shigeru to help me.

Speaking of which, why was Shigeru here? Maybe he felt like chatting to Satoshi. I don’t think Shigeru was interested in hanging around Kouhei, Hiroshi and Harley.

Shigeru was perfect. He is a total heart-breaker. The guy used to date many of the senior year girls and even more of the girls in our year. There aren’t many girls he hasn’t dated and the crazy thing is that the majority of these girls had asked him out, not vice-versa. I feel kinda pathetic being around the guy as he can just have all the girls coming to him and I can barely open up about my crush.

Satoshi is probably in-between. He’s really friendly and outgoing, so girls naturally like him. But Satoshi clearly has no interest in his love life so many refrain from asking him out. The few who do bother give up after a while because Satoshi hasn’t much idea on the concept of dating. Yet he seems to be better off than me.

Man, I feel embarrassed even mentioning this, but I used to have a crush on Nozomi last year, but then there were rumours going around that she was actually lesbian and when people found out I liked her, I got teased for liking a lesbian. That’s why I find love such an embarrassing subject I guess...

“Shigeru-san!” I called out all of a sudden. Shigeru and Satoshi looked up at me with curiosity in their eyes. “U-um... Gen-san asked Hikari out and they’re having a lunch together today. Outside of school!”

The two blinked at me, unsure at why I was telling them this. Shuu walked into the room, carrying bowls of cereal. He passed them around so each of us got one. I stared in disgust. I can’t stand cornflakes. But it would be mean on Shuu to make him go all the way back through the hallway, down a flight of stairs, walk across the field and wait in line for ages just to replace my bowl with a different one.

So I was stuck eating cornflakes for breakfast. Shuu noticed how silent the three of us were and commented, “You guys are silent. I must be in a room full of Shinji’s...”

Shigeru and Satoshi laughed at this with Shigeru adding, “Don’t worry. Kengo just told us that his crush is going on a date with that prefect guy. Hang on... So what, Kengo? Do you want uncle Shigeru to do something for you?” I stared at him with confusion. “Shigeru would love to help you with breaking up Hikari and Gen!”

I went bright red. “But I never said-”

“It’s what you want, right?” I nodded at this response, feeling somewhat defeated. How did he figure it out? “Right, Kengo! You know that this will require us two sneaking out of school at lunchtime, right?”

Satoshi’s eyes widened, remembering the beloved school rules. “We’d get in a lot of trouble with Mikuri-sensei if he found out that you two snuck out just to break up a couple!” Shigeru’s face fell, while I tried to think of ideas. I failed miserably at this. Man, I need more talents.

Shuu shrugged. “I always assumed he wouldn’t care if we snuck out, so long as we looked good doing it.” If the criteria for sneaking out were to be a good-looking person, I wonder if I’d be allowed.

“Bah! What we need is a guy who is so silent and knows how to get by everything, be a rebel and be completely overlooked!” declared Shigeru, no longer caring about school rules, it seems. “I think we need a mysterious transfer student,” he added as an afterthought.

“Shinji?” I suggested. I already thought he would be a perfect candidate. After all, he’s a jerk, knows how to piss people off while remaining calm, has no real shame in doing so, he’s smart so he would come up with good plans on how to break Hikari and Gen up, plus he’s a mysterious transfer student thus he gets overlooked when he gets by everything and breaks the rules. I’d say he’s perfect for the job!

Shigeru agreed immediately, while Satoshi and Shuu glanced at each other. I guess they weren’t sure on how to react to the idea of Shigeru, Shinji and I breaking out of school just to disrupt my friend’s date and ruin her love life with Gen.

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o

Mikuri-sensei had already set us some work to do, but all I could think about was how we going to get unnoticed for breaking out of school. You see, juniors can only leave school during school days if they’re accompanied by a prefect. But Gen is the only prefect I’ve met in person and I doubt any prefects Shigeru has dated would be willing to take him out during lunchtime so he could mess up things for Gen.

I felt a pencil being jabbed into my neck, causing me to let out a yell of surprise. Blushing furiously, I apologised and said people could go back to their work. I turned around to see Shigeru grinning triumphantly, with Shinji glaring at him from behind. “What is it? We’re supposed to be working!” I hissed, attempting to keep my voice down.

“I convinced Shinji to join our cause!” Shigeru told me with a sparkle in his eye. “Well, only an awesome guy like me would be able to do so but...”

I definitely didn’t want to listen to Shigeru bragging, so it’d be wise to hurry this conversation along. “How did you do it?” I asked flatly.

“First off, I said I’d ask his older brother Reiji for embarrassing stories. Then I said I’d remind him of the ‘Satoshi incident’ and to top it all off, I promised to score him some vouchers for discounts on pizza and I said if he refused this, I’d start a horrible rumour about him!”

I stared at Shigeru in disbelief. Man, I can’t believe Shinji agreed on those terms. If I were him, I’d demand a transfer to another school. But then again, Shinji had only been our roommate and a student of this school for about five weeks, so another transfer so soon would be a pain.

“Now, just to see if what you told me about Gen and Hikari was true...” Wait, Shigeru forced Shinji to help him before he even confirmed the problem? Shigeru reached over and tapped Hikari on the shoulder. “Hey, Hikari! Do you get what the hell we’re supposed to be doing?”

Hikari seemed to be in daze as she turned to face Shigeru. “Hey Shigeru... I haven’t paid attention at all. It’s just that I can’t wait until lunchtime and my mind can’t seem to concentrate on anything else...”

I sighed, starting to feel jealous of Gen. How could he score the girl I liked? Sure, it wasn’t like she was reserved for me, but this is the only girl I’ve ever had a crush on – apart from Nozomi, but does that really count? I mean, if anything, Gen deserves great girl, yet at the same time, I wish it wasn’t Hikari.

Shigeru appeared to be completely unfazed, probably convinced that Hikari was thinking about him even though I knew for a fact she was thinking about her upcoming date with Gen. “Yeah no wonder. Remember how I said yesterday that I was planning to buy all my friends some lunch each? I know you just want someone else – er, me of course – buying your lunch, Hikari. After all, my grandfather’s given me tons of money so I can just blow it on whatever I please!”

Hikari shook her head. “Oh, sorry I can’t join you guys. I’m going out on a lunch date with Gen-san,” she explained, her cheeks turning rosy pink.

“Right,” Shigeru replied, dissatisfied with what he heard. Hikari believed that the conversation was over, so Shigeru decided to watch her. This naturally, caused me to join in with ogling her too.

I see... Hikari did go with Haruka’s suggestion of pink after all. She chose a lilac skirt that went down to her knees, shining beautifully when the sun light hit it. Her dark hair was pulled back into a low ponytail tied with a sparkly purple hair band. To finish it off, she wore a pink singlet with sparkles around the rim, tied at the back to keep it on. Wow, she looks amazing.

Normally, guys don’t take notice of what a girl is wearing but personally, I found Hikari more interesting than class. It did bother me that Shigeru was also taking the time out to gaze at her too, which Hikari noticed. “Shigeru, Kengo. Is there something you want to ask?”

I shook my head and tried to avoid eye contact, while Shigeru decided to switch into flirt mode. Various girls sensed this and glared over at Hikari. “You can’t assume that I want to talk just because I’m looking... But hey, I’ll let you have the first move.”

She rolled his eyes and chose to continue with her work. It seems that even Shigeru can’t get every girl. Though he seemed really bothered by Hikari ignoring him. No... No wonder he’s so into the idea of breaking Hikari and Gen up! He must like Hikari too! Why oh why couldn't Shigeru be gay and like Gen...?

Though I wonder if there were more reasons for Shinji helping out too. He can’t possibly like Hikari too. Shigeru leaned over and whispered to me, “It seems we’ll need to go to a major extreme. Like when Gen leaves her for a second, we kidnap her and one of us dresses up as her...”

I stared at him with disbelief. I’m betting that I’m the most similar looking so that would have to me. And what if Gen found out?

“Or... Or one of us hits on her when Gen leaves and he comes back; pull her in for a smoocher! That way, Gen will dump her and then Hikari will come crying off into my – er, your arms, Kengo.”

That last sentence made me suspicious. Also, who would be the one to hit on her? It would need to be someone that doesn’t care about Hikari getting angry at him for making Gen dump her, so Shinji...? But Shinji can’t possibly hit on her without sounding fake, plus he probably couldn’t bear the thought of even kissing her, that’s for sure.

I doubt Shigeru wants Hikari angry at him and there’s no way I could pull off something like that. Right, I’ll have to see exactly what Shigeru’s got planned. “Hey, Kengo!” I looked up and realised that Satoshi, who was in front of me, was talking to me. “Kengo, you’re usually paying attention to class. I don’t get what we’re supposed to do and I’m going to get called on next, I know it!”

“Satoshi! What’s the answer to the fifth question?” Mikuri-sensei asked as Satoshi shook his head. “You don’t know? That’s so not fabulous, Satoshi! You have to wear a Mikuri hat around the school for a week!” He yanked out a drawer from his desk and chucked a hat over to Satoshi.

“But I already wore it last week as well as a cape...” Satoshi whinged as he reluctantly replaced one of his favourite caps with a Mikuri style one. Yeah, Mikuri-sensei punishes us by making us wear stuff he’d normally wear.

Kasumi put her hand up. “Mikuri-sensei! I want a cap too!” Oh god, is she planning to imitate Satoshi or something? Maybe she’s taking my comment about ‘Satoshi likely to be more interested in interests and things in common than looks’ a bit too far.

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o

“Lunchtime!” declared Shigeru as he yanked Shinji and I by our shirt collars and ran off with us until we were close to Hikari and Gen, but out of sight. I think I heard Satoshi calling after us about Shigeru treating his pals to drinks. It looks like Shigeru chose to ditch on them without telling them.

“Personally I have better things to do,” muttered Shinji, while Shigeru held up some photos. Looking at him carefully, I realised they were photos of Shinji as a baby. Wow, he made a pretty cute looking baby... “You stole those from Reiji, didn’t you? It’s always the baby pictures! Anyway, Mikuri-sensei’s right at the exit gate, so any chance of getting out is screwed.”

Shigeru started shaking Shinji’s shoulders. “I chose you because nobody dares try stop you when you do something rebellious! You have to think of something! And... You're a mysterious transfer student! Nobody ever suspects the transfer student... do they?" What does the whole 'transfer student' thing have to do with this anyway?

I let Shigeru and Shinji argue as I watched Hikari and Gen leaving the school. Mikuri-sensei approached them, seeming to approve of Hikari’s choice in boyfriend from the looks of it. Then they left, my stare following them until they were out of sight. I felt a sudden tug at my shirt and before I knew it, Shigeru was dragging us towards Mikuri-sensei.

“Mikuri-sensei! Shinji, Kengo and I need to leave the school because we have to break up a couple as they just can’t be together because if they’re together, Kengo will mope and become the second Shinji! And you know one Shinji’s more than enough!” Shigeru announced to our form teacher, whilst receiving glares from Shinji and I.

Mikuri-sensei grinned. “Crazy as it seems, but that’s the best excuse I’ve heard from all the juniors that wanted to leave today!” As he proceeded to explain all this other stuff, he began to get lost in his own world, so Shigeru dragged us off once more.

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o

We are now outside a sushi bar, blatantly staring inside at Hikari and Gen. I began observing their actions and noted that Gen was the most well-mannered eater I’d ever seen, both of them were eating teriyaki chicken sushi, and Hikari chose an orange juice as her drink, while Gen went with green tea. Gen liked the wasabi so Hikari gave him hers plus the ginger on the side.

“Is this going to get anywhere? I haven’t eaten anything yet and I didn’t bring money because nobody told me that we were ditching school...” Shinji grumbled, when Gen stood up and started going towards the door. Oh crap, has he seen us?

Gen left the sushi bar and Shigeru approached him. “Yo, Gen-man! You ditching your girl already?” he asked, only to receive a confused look from Gen.

“Not at all. The sushi bar doesn’t have bathrooms and so I’m going to the nearest public one, but Hikari-san still needs to finish her food,” Gen replied in a calm tone. Shigeru’s face fell. I knew exactly what he was thinking. Gen is far too good a person! “So why are you out of school?”

“We... Suzuna wanted us to come with her to town...” I glanced inside the sushi bar and noticed Suzuna on a date with someone. Yeah, Shigeru’s coming up with an interesting excuse. Like Gen would seriously believe that Suzuna invited us out to spy on her date!

“So she’s okay with you hanging outside while she has a date? I suppose that’s fine...” Gen smiled at us and walked off to find a bathroom. Whoa, he believed it? ...Whoa...

Shigeru grabbed Shinji’s shoulders. “Now Shinji! It’s all down to you! Gen has to catch you and Hikari kissing.”

“What?!!”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Oh god, poor Shinji. He always seems to get it bad in a lot of fanfics, but then again, he's fun to mess with.

Next chapter: Shinji's POV! He's stuck with having to kiss Hikari in front of Gen! Will things go as planned? And what's Shigeru's thinking up now? Where does Comashipping come into this?

Bwahaha, I'll leave you with that. Once again, reviews and stuff appreciated and someday, I'll learn to make a banner so then I can make a banner for this fic.

Last edited:

crystal hikari

Aura or Knowledge?
Wow, great fic. [I found it on No Need to Worry]
Though, I do have to agree with you, Shinji is normal the "badguy" in a lot of fics.
Also, I think Ironwill and Caliver[sp] shipping adds a neat twist!

And these match up right, right?[did I forget anyone]

Hikari - Dawn
Gen- [er still Gen]
Kengo - Kenny
Haruka - May
Satoshi- Ash
Shuu [LOL] - Drew
Kasumi - Misty
Nozomi - Zoey
Shinji -Paul
Shigeru- Gary [?]
Thankyou and update soon :)

Encyclopika

The Queen
Hello again! This was a great installment to the first chapter! It was pretty funny - Shigeru is really enjoyable and pretty IC as far as his early arrogance goes. XD I like how Shinji is the transfer student and that you bring it up multiple times as a running gag! XD
The only thing is that you still leave out important conventions. These are the ones that had stopped my comprehension. The corrections are bolded.
She rolled her eyes and chose to continue with her work.
“But I already wore it last week as well as a cape...” Satoshi whined as he reluctantly replaced one of his favourite caps with a Mikuri style one.
We ended up outside a sushi bar, blatantly staring inside at Hikari and Gen.
For that last one, it's best to keep in the same time-frame. Meaning, if you're telling this in past-tense, keep it in past tense. This sentence went into present tense.
Anyway, there were less mistakes this time. Keep up the good work! ^^

hahahahahahaha, ahem. So funny, Awesome fanfic, shinji as a baby * wondering how it would look like. I really can't picture him as 'cute' though.* And what if Shinji liked the kiss, WOW, it would be like a love quadrilateral(square) and Kenny and Shinji is so IC.

Chelc

Alright, I'm finally here to review the second chapter! :D

I feel kinda pathetic being around the guy as he can just have all the girls coming to him and I can barely open up about my crush.

asdfghjkl HE IS SO CUTE.

The few who do bother give up after a while because Satoshi hasn’t much idea on the concept of dating. Yet he seems to be better off than me.

lol. It's so true. XD

Man, I feel embarrassed even mentioning this, but I used to have a crush on Nozomi last year, but then there were rumours going around that she was actually lesbian and when people found out I liked her, I got teased for liking a lesbian. That’s why I find love such an embarrassing subject I guess...

LMAO. Aww! That's so sad...seriously. Poor Kengo!

I loled at Kengo wishing Shigeru to be gay and like Gen. Personally, I seem him as gay, anyways, and yanno, that'd be a totally hot, crack pairing. *SHOT* MIKURI IS SO IN CHARACTER. I loved how you made him use "fabulous" and making Satoshi wear the hat...lmao. The hinted Pokeshipping was cute, too. Poor Shinji, Shigeru is totally ready to blackmail him, so he really has no choice. :x GEEEEN-SAN. I still love him. You're right, he is perfect, and just aklsjdk. <3

Ama (Encyclopika) pretty much pointed out all of the mistakes. You improved from your last chapter, too - I liked the detail you added to Kengo's thoughts. I can't wait for the next chapter!

Also, crystal hikari, Gen's English name is Riley in case you were wondering. :)

Last edited:

crystal hikari

Aura or Knowledge?
Also, crystal hikari, Gen's English name is Riley in case you were wondering. :)
Thankyou, for the information:)

Also,

"Speaking of which, why was Shigeru here? Maybe he felt like chatting to Satoshi. I don’t think Shigeru was interested in hanging around Kouhei, Hiroshi and Harley."

I wouldn't want to hang around Harley ethier *walks away slowly*
Another thing, please updated soon Mel-Girl, and is it just me or do you find that Harley's japanese name is still Harley?

P.S. I find the Shinji/Paul blackmail funny, hmm if he's already mean then what are his parrents like, and I bet he has an odd past, possibly.

Mel-Girl

left. right.
Chapter Three

Wow, thanks for all the reviews! XD

Crystal Hikari - Yesh, as Chelc had already pointed out, Gen = Riley (guy who gives ou the Riolu egg in the games). And I agree, Shinji is treated like a bad guy. Though in this fic, he got forced into by Shigeru, making Shigeru almost the bad guy, I guess! Though actually, I don't think anyone's a bad guy in this fic. And yeah, Harley's name is the same in the Japanese and dub.

Actually, one of my fics, Shinji has a past that involves his brother going to live with another family, his father ditching the family to continue on in Team Galactic and his mother committing suicide! Oh dear, I felt pretty bad when writing Shinji's backstory in that fic... Er, anywho, enough about that fic...

Encyclopika - Oh thanks for pointing out the mistakes! I'll go back and look through it when I have some spare time to go editing chapters I'd already posted. I hope Shinji was IC too, because I think he's quite a challenging character to write!

ContestNoir888 - Bwahahaha Shinji doesn't seem like the type to like much though, let alone kissing. Just read the chapter to see.

Chelc - Yes, one of the first crack pairings I liked for DP was Shigeru x Gen! That would make one of the hottest crack around, methinks! Gen would probably calm down Shigeru and his arrogant crazy ways and yet Shigeru would make Gen's life more exciting... I'm thinking too deeply into this. Bwahahaha, Mikuri is indeed fabulous. XD

Right for this chapter, we've got: Penguinshipping, Ikarishipping, a bit of Comashipping and Cavaliershipping, also some others I've probably forgotten... But yeah, I've mentioned the main ones for this chapter, I think...

Yesh, read on!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Chapter Three: Better Luck Next Time

Shinji’s POV

I glared at Shigeru. There is absolutely no way I’ll kiss anyone, be it Hikari or whoever. It was already bad enough that on my first day, Hiroshi accidentally knocked me into Satoshi and it all went from there. I was lucky that I even managed to get out of that incident and move on. I didn’t need anything like that with Satoshi again.

The last thing I need is for a prefect to catch me with his date. Plus, romance is lame. Dating, kissing, holding hands... It all seems unimportant. Will having a girlfriend push me towards good grades, graduation and my goal to being the top student? No, I won’t be some goody-good teacher pleaser. I just feel superior being smarter than everyone else.

“Why does it have to me? I think you should do it yourself. After all, you haven’t done anything useful except drag me and Kengo around to do whatever you tell us to do, which by the way, I won’t do what you say,” I snapped, Shigeru grinning at me, not appearing to give a toss about my opinion.

Shigeru turned around and let out a yell to alert all the students that were about. “Stuuuuuuuuuudents! Guess what? Shinji here is totally hot for Satoshi! He truly liked that accident incident! He wants to relive it!!” Kengo’s jaw dropped as I tried to get Shigeru to shut up, sweat trickling down my cheeks.

“What the hell was that, Shigeru?!” I shouted, furiously. Shigeru swivelled around and smirked. Kengo was still in a state of shock at what Shigeru just did.

“Shinji, every student now thinks you’re gay. So to prove you aren’t gay, I guess you’ll have to kiss a girl!” Shigeru told me, pointing at Hikari. I slapped my forehead with frustration. Shigeru just doesn’t want anyone to get by peacefully.

“Does it have to be Hikari?” I asked, attempting to calm down my irritation.
A grin spread across Kengo’s face. “I suppose your other option is Harley. Everyone seems to consider him a girl these days.” I stared at him with disbelief. Just no. I doubt Kengo would want me kissing Hikari anyway, which is perfectly fine with me.

Wait, Harley isn’t actually a girl? I always thought he was since the first week I joined this school. Oh yes, some pesky girl named Haruka blew up at me when I mistook Harley for her. Schools should never have a day where students can dress up as characters. Then I wouldn’t start thinking that Haruka and Harley were twins.

“Come on, Shinji! Get in there!” Shigeru shoved me through the door into the sushi bar. Hikari looked up as I stumbled in, falling onto my face. I scrambled to my feet, trying not to show how annoyed I was at Shigeru right now.

“Hey Shinji! Is that you?” I heard Hikari’s voice call to me. Reluctantly, I paced over to her table. Ugh, Shigeru and Kengo better have some reward ready for me, otherwise they are definitely going to get it bad for a long time.

How the hell do people flirt anyway? There is no way I’m going to start saying stupid stuff like, ‘Do you have a map? I got lost in your eyes’ or ‘If I told you that you had a nice body, would you hold it against me?’ or ‘If I bit my lip, would you kiss it better?’ Damn it, my last school had taught me too much about this crap.

I did hear somewhere that insulting the girl can sometimes make them suddenly try their hardest to prove to the guy how good they are, oblivious to the fact that it’s making them chase after the guy and impress them. I’ll try it.

“Wow, I don’t know whether to feel good because you recognise me or insulted that you have to double-check to actually know it’s me,” I replied, making it obvious I wasn’t interested to spend time talking to her.

“Hey, at least I didn’t ignore you altogether like you would’ve done to me!” Hikari snapped, before shoving a piece of sushi into her mouth. She chewed quickly as I looked away as if I was more interested in the ceiling than her. Actually yeah, the ceiling is probably more interesting. “Hey, don’t ignore me now!”

I switched my stare from the ceiling to her eyes. “Hmmm... I just noticed something, Hikari.” Her eyes lit up, hoping for something good. “You actually look like a girl in that outfit today.”

“What?! Are you saying that I look like a man in all of my other outfits? I certainly don’t look like a guy!” she protested, while I faked a yawn. “Hey, don’t act like you’re not interested in me!”

“But I’m not acting,” I replied, casually stealing a piece of sushi and eating it. Quickly glancing outside, I noticed Shigeru giving me the thumbs-up. I don’t think he knows a word of what we’re saying, so he’s probably doing it regardless of whether I was going good or not.

“Huh?” Hikari was speechless, trying to think of something she could say back. Man, I doubt this is flirting, but her reactions are providing some vague entertainment.

I sighed as Shigeru pointed out that Gen was coming back. Damn it, I have to hurry it along. Kneeling down to level with her, I said, “Give me three reasons why I shouldn’t walk away right now. Because as of now, you’re the most boring person I’ve ever chatted to.”

Hikari glared, blushing bright red. “I’m not boring at all! You want reasons? Fine!” She held up three fingers. “One: I am somewhat involved in starting half the rumours around the school. Two, the rumours I started are all true, so I’m a good source of gossip. And three, I’m the best looking person you have ever seen! I’d love to go on, but you said three.”

From the corner of my eye, I saw Shigeru approach Gen to say some stuff. Gen seemed somewhat preoccupied but from Kengo’s signalling, Gen was going to look inside the sushi bar in a matter of seconds.

“It’s a shame,” I muttered, as I slowly leaned in closer. “From the looks of things I’ll have to cut things short.” Before she could respond, I pulled her in for an embrace. I could sense half the people in the sushi bar expressing their surprise as I did so. Hikari barely responded to the kiss, probably because she was so shocked. Pulling away, I got up and began to walk away.

“What the hell was that?” Hikari yelled as she stood up. I turned as she suddenly realised that Gen saw us too. “Aaaaaaagh! Shinji, I was on a date and you had to kiss me in front of him!”

I shrugged, ignoring her deliberately as she tried to yell after me. As I exited the sushi bar, I turned to Gen and told him, “It’s not my fault. Just ask her. She was boring me, so I asked why I should stay, she started listing reasons for me to stay and I don’t like anyone, so the kiss isn’t because of me.”

Gen stared after me, speechless. I was almost expecting to get verbally attacked by him or something. No, that isn’t Gen’s style. “So Shigeru was right that you, Kengo and him came to tell me that Hikari only accepted to the date to not offend me by turning me down?” Hmmm, so that was what Shigeru was telling him. I nodded. He didn’t reply, instead going in to talk to Hikari.

Shigeru signalled that it was time to get out of here, so we all made a run for it. “Man, Shinji! I didn’t know you had it in you! I’d say you need more work on your kissing technique but hey, you’re anti-social and have the hots for Satoshi, so I guess it’s no big deal!”

I rolled my eyes. Yes, Hiroshi bumped me over and caused me and Satoshi to have an accidental kiss, but that’s as far as it gets. Satoshi’s just an annoying idiot who is hopeless in class and loves to point out the obvious. I don’t like people like him. I’d hate to think that Satoshi even likes me, but I suppose everyone wants me to go around pashing everybody these days. The more transfers, the worse things seem to get.

“Shigeru, Shinji doesn’t have a crush on anyone!” Kengo answered back, eyeing me suspiciously. “Right...?”

“Yeah, man! Hikari didn’t turn you straight, did she?” Shigeru asked, as I let out a heavy sigh.

“Shigeru, you have the uncanny power of turning any gay man straight!” Kengo replied, causing Shigeru to argue back. I made the wise decision of ignoring them.

Now it seems clear that Shigeru truly wanted Hikari and Gen to break up. He never struck me as someone who would go to so much trouble just to make a girl he likes be available. But why is Kengo tagging along? He hasn’t done anything except make one signal to me. It could be that it was initially Kengo who wanted Hikari and Gen to break up.

So Kengo would’ve gone to Shigeru for help, but Shigeru likes Hikari also. If anything, the trouble that Shigeru is going to is successfully sheltering the fact that Kengo likes Hikari as well. If Hikari learned of the plan, Kengo is actually the one who has a chance of getting away with it, meaning that he still has a chance. So Shigeru actually made it harder for himself.

Maybe Kengo chose Shigeru for the job because Shigeru would be more likely to get caught and get in trouble. I could be looking too deep into this, but it’s not often I get so intrigued by something.

“Ah, it’s wonderful that you came back!” I heard Mikuri-sensei’s voice call out as Shigeru, Kengo and I approached the school gates. We approached them and before Shigeru could make up excuses, Mikuri-sensei hats were slammed on our heads. “Detention tomorrow!”

I definitely saw that coming.

Kengo’s POV

It’s hard to describe these feelings. I mean, I should be happy that Hikari and Gen are likely to have broken up by now and yet, I’m not. I made a mistake. Why did I turn to Shigeru and Shinji for help? I should’ve left Hikari and Gen as they were. After all, I should have just been happy for her, not upset.

Students were spread out across the library, silently doing their homework. It’s boarding school, so why am I calling it homework? In any case, I have to do an assignment about the many discoveries Professor Ookido has made. Brilliant, I have to do an assignment on Shigeru’s grandfather. That made my day.

“Hey Kengo-kun,” I heard Haruka whisper my name. I glanced over at her as she shuffled over to sit next to me. “When Hikari-chan came back from lunch with Gen-san, she looked really sad. She told me that Shinji-san chatted to her and then kissed her in front of Gen-san so Gen-san then broke up with her or something like that! I never knew Gen-san would break up with her just like that so I guess he thought Hikari-chan liked Shinji-san and not him or something...” She looked up at me and I tried to put on the best innocent look I could conjure up.

“Well, I was there when it happened but I wasn’t involved in any way whatsoever! It was all Shigeru’s idea because while I’m not exactly glad that Hikari and Gen-san shared a date, Shigeru was the one who was making all these plans to break them up!” I explained with as much honesty as possible. “I suspect it was because he wanted her for himself!”

Haruka gazed at me with a sad smile. “Last year, I dated Shigeru-san and he had me believe that I was the only one for him,” she told me with a wavery voice. “We were acting like a couple for six days running. Six. He then told me that it was over and about half an hour later, he had a new girl on his arm. I learned from Kasumi-chan that no girl had actually mattered that much to Shigeru. She also added that no one has lasted longer than a week with him.”

“Hikari and Gen only lasted until halfway during lunchtime...” I pointed out as she sighed. “Though that was because of Shigeru dragging me and Shinji out and him forcing Shinji to make Gen catch him and Hikari kissing and all...”

Haruka placed a finger on her bottom lip. “I really want to know what it was like for Shinji to kiss her but at the same time; I don’t think she’d appreciate me asking... But yeah, all I can assume is that if a girl lasted longer than a week with Shigeru-san, it must be more than just a fling.”

I stood up, placing my hands on the table Haruka and I were sitting at. “I have to make sure Hikari doesn’t get together with Shigeru! There is no way she needs to have two incredibly short relationships in a row! She deserves better than that!” I declared to Haruka, carefully making sure no one else heard as well.

Haruka clapped, grinning at me. “That’s awesome! Man, I need a close guy friend who isn’t a doodle brain on the subject of love – COUGH Satoshi COUGH – so Kengo, can you be mine?”

I chuckled and told her that I’ll be going now. Man, I like Hikari’s friends. They’re all really good people.

Five minutes later, I was walking through a lonely hallway with only shadows for company. I stared ahead and saw a black figure approach me from the shadows. Tensing up, I was preparing myself for who was about to reach me. When I could see who it was, I blew a sigh of relief. “Hikari!”

“Hey...” My face fell as I got a proper look at her. This morning, she was a ray of sunshine, energetic and happy. But now, she was the opposite. “Kengo, I was glad when Gen-san asked me out. He is one of the best people I ever met and I knew he’d make a great and loyal boyfriend. I doubted I’d b-break up with him...” She stared at the ground, wiping her eyes. “I-I just never thought G-Gen-san would be the...”

I patted her shoulder, before pulling her into a hug. “Hey, don’t worry. I know you had your hopes up so high, thinking that you were at the beginning of a lasting relationship. And even though Shinji ruined everything, I know you’ll have better luck next time,” I assured her as I broke off the hug. She wiped her eyes again and gave me a warm smile.

“Yeah, I’ll get over it... Though I’m confused at why Shinji was like that today! And why were you and Shigeru outside the sushi bar?” she asked as I gulped. Man, I need to think up an excuse quick.

“Well... Shigeru dragged Sh-Shinji and I outside school against our will to play Truth or Dare and Shinji was dared to go inside the sushi bar, flirt with a girl and then kiss her... Shigeru and I never expected him to choose you...” I lied, being careful with my words. Hikari nodded, appearing to believe me.
“Damn it, I’ll kill him! Why the hell would he choose me anyway?!” Hikari burst out, clenching her fists.

I nodded in agreement. “I just don’t know.”

“Oh yeah, Shigeru told me he doesn’t mind me coming to talk to him as a way of getting over what happened with Gen-san but I don’t think I need to know. Ah, you’re a good friend Kengo. Let’s hope for a better day tomorrow!” She nodded at me, before skipping off to her dormitory room.

I hope it’ll be a better day tomorrow, that’s for sure. But I have a feeling that Shigeru’s going to be my rival for Hikari now. I’ll just have to see how things go...

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Aw man, that Shinji! He totally brushed off that kiss like it was nothing, methinks. And oh dear, this is the most we'll get for Ironwillshipping in the fic for the meantime but I might have some more in future chapters so keep a look out for that.

But yeah, next chapter: Hikari confronts Shinji and Shigeru may not be in trouble after all... Could it be the opposite? Kengo's certainly not going to have a good day now. And what's ruining things for Haruka with Shuu?

Please review, and Adios for now!

lol, Comashipping, aaww no shinji's POV about the kiss, thats okay though as long as I can seehow Hikari is gonna confront him,

“Ah, it’s wonderful that you came back!” I heard Mikuri-sensei’s voice call out as Shigeru, Kengo and I approached the school gates. We approached them and before Shigeru could make up excuses, Mikuri-sensei hats were slammed on our heads. “Detention tomorrow!”

I definitely saw that coming

crystal hikari

Aura or Knowledge?
"But yeah, next chapter: Hikari confronts Shinji and Shigeru may not be in trouble after all... Could it be the opposite? Kengo's certainly not going to have a good day now. And what's ruining things for Haruka with Shuu?"
Oh, I really feel sorry for Kengo. I guess the idea was good, but something tells me it may be worse then Hikari hating him.
Like maybe everyone... and your story is making me hate Shigeru more then normal, then again at least he's in character.

Last edited:

Encyclopika

The Queen
LOL This chapter was priceless. I really liked the Ikarishipping in the beginning *love IS<33* I just liked how you wrote it - how the dialogue made it believable without turning it into full blown IS just yet - yanno, with both parties completely uninterested XD. And I usually don't like the change of POV, but this worked out well and had a point to it, so more props for that.
Glad we got back to Kengo, though. I feel kinda bad for Hikari too, but she seemed to be okay by the end. ^^ I'm probably dead wrong, but I feel as if Ikarishipping will make a comback. XD Or maybe it's just wishful thinking!
Keep up the great work. =3

Mel-Girl

left. right.
Chapter Four

Oh yay, thanks so much for the reviews! You guys all rock. *hands out cookies and chocolate and stuff like that* Hopefully this chapter should be good... '^_^

ContestNoir888 - Mwahahaha yes, Hikari has got some plan up her sleeve. Wooohooo! Thanks for the review!

crystal hikari - To be honest, I like Shigeru when he's obnoxious and in-your-face. I've always had a thing for jerk characters... *is a fan of Shinji, Kiba, Shigeru, etc...* Thankies for the review. XD

kiara911 - Dawwww, I like Ironwillshipping. But yes, Hikari's going to make another significant decision to the story in this chapter... Mwahahahaha, thanks for the review.

Encyclopika - Heh, more IS interaction in this chapter, with a strange twist happening too! Yes, I like Ikarishipping too. Damn, I like too many Hikari shippings! There's a bit more POV change this chapter, but next chapter should just be back to one POV again, I reckon. Ikarishipping making a comeback, you think? Just have to wait and see! XD Thanks for the review.

This chapter's shippings include: One-sided Penguinshipping, Cavaliershipping, some Ikari interaction, Belleshipping, one-sided Contestshipping and one-sided Pokeshipping.

Okay, I'm doing with author note stuff. Read on!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Chapter Four: Wasn’t How It’s Supposed To Be

Kengo’s POV

I woke up to a fairly calm morning. It was a huge relief that Hikari didn’t come bursting into the room or something of the sort. Satoshi was still snoozing his head off, Shinji was nowhere to be seen and Shuu had just finished getting into his clothes for the day.

There was a tap on the door. Shuu walked over to answer it and I heard Hikari’s voice chirp, “Good morning, Shuu! Got to deliver some things! Three letters!” Hikari leaned in and peeked around the door. “Hi Kengo! Eh, Satoshi’s asleep. Aha! I suspected Shinji wouldn’t be here, knowing that I’ve been trying to find him so I can throttle him for what he did yesterday!” I can’t believe she just said that with a cheerful voice and tone...

“So three letters?” Shuu asked, receiving the three envelopes a second later. I could see Shuu smirk at Hikari as he added, “I bet these are love letters, right? How direct of you to knock at the door to present them to us instead of say, slipping them under the door and running away!”

I got up and walked over, managing to catch Hikari’s blush at this remark. “W-Well, let’s just s-say that s-someone got me to deliver these for... Well, the green envelope is for you, Shuu, the blue one is for Satoshi and...” Her mouth twisted into an evil grin. “The purple one is no love letter. It’s for Shinji!” Her expression becoming neutral again, she waved goodbye and ran off shouting to herself, “Woohoo! I can’t believe I managed to get that over and done with! I told Kasumi I’d be able to do it!”

Shuu tossed the blue envelope at Satoshi’s bed; the purple one at Shinji’s and opened the green one. I leaned over his shoulder to read it as well only for Shuu to shove me out of the way. “What is it?” I asked, waking up Satoshi by accident.

“Huh? What’s happening?!” Satoshi yelled out, his eyes wide and startled. He stared down at the end of his bed. “Ooh an envelope. For me?” I nodded as he reached over and ripped it open.

I felt annoyed that neither of them was letting me read their letters like they usually do so I pondered whether to read Shinji’s or not as he wasn’t here. Though the thought of Shinji discovering that someone had opened and read his mail is kinda scary...

“Oh god... Who the heck has a crush on me?” Satoshi yelled out in a panicky voice. Oh man, don’t tell me Satoshi fears the thought of love? Shuu walked over and had the letter showed to him. Hey, why won’t anyone show me?

“That look likes Kasumi’s writing...” Shuu commented, before staring at his letter again. Satoshi flopped backwards, the back of his head landing on his pillow. “I don’t recognise the writing of mine but as Hikari was the one to deliver it, it’s easy to assume that this one is either from her, Haruka or Nozomi.”

I sighed. “Nozomi’s lesbian. Remember the trouble I got for it last year...?” It’s still embarrassing to mention it but there was probably no other way to get my point across.

Satoshi’s eyes widened. “Lesbian? Why would someone be lesbian?” Shigeru burst into the room just as Satoshi asked that. Shigeru gave us all a strange look before greeting us with his usual loud ‘good morning’.

“My, my, my, have I stumbled on a group of dirty boys!” Shigeru grinned, seeming to have a crazed facial expression. The last time I saw a face like that was last week when Harley had a tad too much coffee. So I wouldn’t be surprised if Shigeru was even stranger and more hyperactive than usual today. “Lesbians huh? Oh dear!”

Never have I heard the phrase ‘Oh Dear!’ in such a loud, happy voice. Today seems to be quite a few firsts and we haven’t even had breakfast.

“We’re just discussing who could’ve sent me this love letter,” Shuu explained, handing the letter to Shigeru. “We established that it’s definitely not Kasumi or Nozomi.”

Shigeru jabbed a finger at the letter and let out a gasp. “I believe that looks like Hikari’s writing!” I froze up. No way. Why the hell would Hikari write Shuu a love letter? It can’t be. I ran up and snatched the letter and I stared at it. The wording it used is very Hikari-like though it didn’t help that Haruka and Hikari’s handwriting is almost identical.

“Maybe Hikari was giving Haruka ideas for what to put in the letter?” I suggested, Shuu taking the thought into consideration. Satoshi however, wasn’t paying attention. Shigeru shook his head, insisting it was all written by Hikari. I have a strong theory that Shigeru likes Hikari too, so maybe he’s assuming the worst?

I mean, Shuu is a lot friendlier with Haruka than Hikari and Hikari’s just broken up with Gen. Hikari couldn’t possibly just turn around and write love letters to Shuu. Also I know for a fact that Haruka likes Shuu but I couldn’t just point this out, could I? But then again, I didn’t think Haruka was the type to bother with love letters as she’d make it too obvious for Shuu to figure out. And so... So she got Hikari to write it for her? I bet that’s it!

In a way, I wanted to keep this to myself but at the same time... Wait, if Shigeru thinks that Hikari likes someone like Shuu when she actually doesn’t, he’ll back off and then I’ll be the only guy that likes her. This is perfect! “Yeah, actually I think this is Hikari. Definitely, yup, for sure.”

After giving back the letter to Shuu, I walked out of the room, feeling quite satisfied with myself. I heard Shuu coming out after me. “Why are you leaving now? We haven’t had breakfast and you’re still in your pjs! Anyway, are you serious that Hikari likes me or are you saying that just so Shigeru would stop competing for her?” Damn it, Shuu’s clever like that.

I couldn’t completely trust Shuu though. If I say that Hikari does actually like him, Shuu may take an interest but if I say that it was to stop Shigeru from chasing after Hikari, then Shuu might tell him. No, Shuu’s not that sort of guy. But I’m going to be cautious and trust that Shuu won’t take an interest in Hikari so... “Yeah, I am actually sure that’s Hikari’s handwriting and all...”
He nodded silently, once again, staring at the letter.

“Fine... So what should I do?” It’s odd to see Shuu unsure like that, but then again, I don’t think he’s the type of person to receive love letters, but get love declared to him upfront instead.

I shrugged. “Whatever I guess.”

“Though for Hikari to confess her feelings and not Haruka... That means that Haruka didn’t like me after all...” Shuu chuckled to himself. “Ha! I’ve been wasting my time!” My jaw dropped. Don’t tell me... “I’m going to the school rose garden to steal some roses!” he announced, dashing off.

Wait, so Shuu hasn’t been buying roses for girls after all? He’s the one responsible for all the missing roses from that garden? Plus, does this mean that Shuu’s going to steal roses to give to Hikari? Aw man, how do I manage to unintentionally create situations like this?

Hikari’s POV

I was puffing like mad as I lay down on a bench beside the school rose garden. The sweet-smelling flowers filled the air, giving off a pleasant vibe. I still couldn’t help but feel ****** as to why I couldn’t find Shinji anywhere.

It was only now that I realised that the morning was quite misty as I saw figure approach. As they got closer, I realised that it was Shuu. He smirked at me as he kneeled beside the bench, in front of a rose bush. “Hey.”

I sat up properly, watching Shuu curiously. “Have you seen Shinji?”

“What, you planning to murder him?” Shuu asked as he examined the different colours of roses.

“Yeah, it was because of him that Gen broke up with me! Shinji freaking kissed me in front of him!” I explained with an angry tone. “I don’t know what the hell he was trying to do as well, trying to annoy me and put me down! He kept questioning me and I had to show him that I wasn’t just a stupid girl and then BAM! That arsehole kissed me for no reason and walked off, saying it was my fault!”

Shuu chuckled. “It sounds like a flirting technique I’m familiar with...” I gazed at him with confusion. I edged over to the end of the seat and shot him a questioning look. “He was hitting on you in a way that would make you work hard to impress him instead of vice versa. Half the time the girls don’t even realise it. It seems strange but it can actually work.”

I clenched my fists. “But why would he...?”

“Well, I heard that Shigeru put him up to it because Shigeru had a thing for you and wanted Shinji to break you and Gen up and Kengo was forced to come along...”

Now I’m confused. Shigeru wanted me and Gen to break up so he sent Shinji to go hit on me and make Gen catch me and Shinji? And yet Kengo told me that they were just mucking around, playing truth or dare and Shinji just coincidentally chose me. The stories don’t fit. Because Kengo says Shinji randomly chose me and Shuu says Shigeru forced him to go hit on me. Who do I believe?

“Man, it’s so annoying! What is with me and arrogant guys?” I yelled out in frustration. Luckily, only Shuu and I were there. He was still examining the roses, each and every one. “They’re always blowing me off or ruining things for me. Shinji, Shigeru...”

Shuu finally stood up and handed me a pink rose, saying, “Shigeru, Shinji, me... We’re not all like that. See you in class.” He walked away as I stared at the rose with confusion. It’s Haruka that’s always getting roses so why did he just give me one?

“Hikari-chan!” I heard Haruka’s cheerful voice as she bounded over to me. “Good morning! You delivered those love letters, right? I saw you with Shuu! Did he know it was from me?” I actually gave her ideas on what to put in the letter, but she wrote them down. So I wasn’t sure if Shuu actually knew who it was from but I bet I can safely assume Satoshi knows who his letter is from.

“I’m actually not sure...”

Haruka looked at my hand and noticed the rose. “Who’s the rose from?” she asked, looking hopeful. “Did Shuu give it to you to give it to me?” I shook my head. “So Shuu gave you a rose... Well, he’s always giving me red ones and he gave you a pink one. So if he gives Kasumi a blue one that confirms my theory that Shuu gives out girls roses which are their favourite colour!”
I shook my head. “Isn’t there like a flower language? You know, each flower has its own meaning?” I wondered as Haruka’s eyes lit up.

“Hang on, Shuu’s always given me red roses so does that mean... he wants me to dye my hair red?” I knew Haruka was actually asking this as an actual question but I couldn’t help laughing at her.

“No, red means love, I think!” I told her, causing her to blush.

“O-Oh awesome...! But Shuu hasn’t given me roses for five weeks...” Haruka remembered, starting to eye the rose suspiciously. “Oh my god! He can’t have moved onto you! How can someone change just like that?”

I blinked, not quite getting the gist of what she’s saying. Oh wait, she must think that Shuu likes me now! “Hahahahahaha!! As if! We’re just friends and anyway, pink roses don’t mean love, do they?”

Haruka walked away in a huff. When she was almost out of sight, she turned and did the ‘I’m watching you’ signal as she called out, “I’ll be back after I look it up on the internet!”

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o

The bell for class had already rang, but I didn’t care. I’m going to find that damned Shinji!

Eventually I found him on the balcony deck, top floor of the dormitory building. He just had to pick a place that involved going up many flights of stairs, didn’t he? “It’s taken half the morning before classes start to find you, Shinji! I’ve got you cornered!” I declared, as he was looking out over the rest of the school.

He swivelled around to face me, his shining lilac hair swishing with it. “Oh,” he looked disappointed. “Troublesome girl, are you back for more or something stupid like that?”

I glared, sticking my tongue out at him. “You wish,” I snapped, stomping over to him. “So why’d you flirt with me and kiss me in front of Gen-san?! You ruined every chance I had I had with Gen-san!”

Shinji rolled his eyes. “So what you going to do about it? It’s not about getting revenge because it just shows that you’re still caught up in what has past. Instead, use your brain and move on.” I stared at him, unsure of what to think about this statement.

“I am using my brain, idiot!” I replied, clenching my fists. But I started to see the point Shinji was making. After all, getting revenge may feel good but it won’t bring back Gen at all. Oh, I’ve got it! “Shinji, as you ruined something back, why don’t you put everything between us behind and help me with something?”

Shinji shook his head. “I don’t help any-”

“Satoshi! Man, didn’t you two have one heck of a pash? It was all accidental, like something out of Naruto! Sure fired Kasumi up, but wasn’t it hot, eh Shinji?! Too bad only a select few were actually around at the time to see it!” I chirped loudly, not caring for Shinji shooting me death glares. “But I do actually have photo evidence somewhere in my room – yup, I’m the only one with the evidence... I’ll broadcast it to the world! Yeah!”

Shinji sighed. “Shigeru already threatened to blackmail me yesterday, so you doing it too isn’t exactly helping.” My lips twisted into a mischievous grin. “What plot are you getting me involved in, anyway?”

“I heard from Shuu that Shigeru blackmailed you into hitting on me and... st-stuff. Am I correct?” I asked, receiving a nod in response. “Well, what I request is for to help me... get revenge.”

His eyes widened with surprise but I could tell that he liked the idea of revenge. So much for that statement of moving on and it’s not about getting revenge then, I guess! “So that’s it? That’s about the only help request I’ve ever heard that I’ve been glad about.” I thought so.

“Great, now here’s my plan...”

Kengo’s POV

Morning tea time! I hadn’t seen Hikari or Shinji in class though. Maybe she was beating him up for quite a long time. That’s wishful thinking.

I was about to go get a milkshake but Haruka and Shigeru approached me. I didn’t like the look on their faces. Shigeru had one of those ‘Oh yes!’ faces and Haruka had an upset look. “Kengo, did you or did you not tell Shuu that Hikari liked him?” she asked, locking eyes with me.

I knew that they were suspecting me of telling a lie, so again, I had to lie my way out of this. This week sucks. “Well, the letter sure looked like her handwriting and the wording is very much like her,” I explained, as Haruka slapped her forehead.

“So it’s a misunderstanding! Oh man!” Haruka sighed, before her eyes lit up again. “Do you have any knowledge on flowers?” I gave her a funny look, before remembering Shuu’s rant about flowers last week. Man, why did Satoshi have to ask about flowers? Shuu knows too much about it.
“Um... A bit... Why?”

“What does a pink rose mean? Like normal pink, not light or dark pink,” she asked, still carrying a worried expression.

Putting a finger to my lips, I tried to remember. I don’t have a clue how I can actually remember a thing, but I recall at least six meanings behind a pink rose. “Sweetness... Gratitude... Appreciation... Admiration, Sympathy and it’s also a way of saying ‘please believe me’. That’s all I recall...” Shigeru stared at me with an amused look, s******ing to himself. “Shigeru, I bet girls like it when guys know about flowers and stuff!”

Haruka groaned. “It’s crazy, I don’t know enough about flowers and yet I have a crush on Rose-Boy! Damn it, why do pink roses mean so much? I don’t know if Shuu wants Hikari to believe something, or whether he’s saying she’s sweet, or whether he’s thanking her or admiring her or...” She slumped to her knees in frustration.

I hadn’t the heart to tell her she was making a scene. Of course, Shigeru wouldn’t tell her either. “Why don’t you ask him? He’s coming this way, so you better act normal,” I told her, as she heaved herself onto her feet. She started fretting about what to do, so I had to console her majorly. Sheesh, she’s hopeless sometimes.

“Hey,” Shuu greeted us, food in his arms. He shared it around before questioning why Hikari and Shuu weren’t in class. After he realised we didn’t know, his eyes lit up as he pointed out that Hikari and Shinji are coming over.
I stared at them. Hikari seemed to have the biggest of grins, while Shinji didn’t seem to care, but he couldn’t hide the fact that he had some plot in mind. I know Hikari has to be up to something, because otherwise Shinji wouldn’t be here. Man, I love logic.

Hikari pranced up to Shigeru and gave him the sweetest smile she could pull. “Shigeru, I found out the truth about yesterday. I understand you did it because you like me but...”

I patted her shoulder, and shot Shigeru an evil look. “Yeah, Hikari. Show him who the boss is!” Shuu raised an eyebrow at me, while Haruka was glad that no attention was coming to her as she subtly moved to be next to her lime green-haired crush.

Hikari continued as Shigeru was ogling her. “But if you liked me, all you had to do was ask before Gen-san got to me first. So I suppose I’ll go out with you on the weekend. Movie?” My jaw dropped. That wasn’t what she was supposed to say! She was supposed to beat Shigeru to the ground!

Shuu’s eyes widened in surprise, but Haruka looked relieved somewhat. Shinji had no real reaction, showing no signs of shock or anything. But I just couldn’t believe what I heard. It doesn’t make sense.

“Sure. Why wouldn’t you want to go out with me?” Shigeru replied with his usual arrogant jerk tone. Hikari nodded, trying to keep up the smile. I wonder what she’s thinking, damn it.

Haruka gazed at me with a sad smile. “Last year, I dated Shigeru-san and he had me believe that I was the only one for him,” she told me with a wavery voice. “We were acting like a couple for six days running. Six. He then told me that it was over and about half an hour later, he had a new girl on his arm. I learned from Kasumi-chan that no girl had actually mattered that much to Shigeru. She also added that no one has lasted longer than a week with him.”

“Hikari and Gen only lasted until halfway during lunchtime...” I pointed out as she sighed. “Though that was because of Shigeru dragging me and Shinji out and him forcing Shinji to make Gen catch him and Hikari kissing and all...”

Haruka placed a finger on her bottom lip. “I really want to know what it was like for Shinji to kiss her but at the same time; I don’t think she’d appreciate me asking... But yeah, all I can assume is that if a girl lasted longer than a week with Shigeru-san, it must be more than just a fling.”

I wished in my mind over and over again the words, ‘Please don’t last more than a week...’

But what will happen if they last longer than that?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

What the? Hikari and Shinji are working together on a plot regarding Shigeru! But poor Kengo doesn't know the truth about what's going on! Will Hikari and Shigeru last longer than a week? And what will happen with Shuu?

Next chapter: Seems to be a date-orama going on! Kengo gets stuck on a double-date with Shigeru and Hikari and his date is who? Oh dear, what's Satoshi, Shuu and Kasumi got planned?

So yeah, review please and Adios!

Yes revenge, Hikari's gonna murder him, Die Shigeru, Die!!!!!!! hahahaha ( sorry shigeru fans),

Kengo's date will be Nozomi I hope, maybe Hikari convinced Nozomi that that kengo and shigeru are gay and on a date with them ,

Poor Kasumi, Satoshi is so clueless

Last edited:

crystal hikari

Aura or Knowledge?
"Chapter Four: Wasn’t How It’s Supposed To Be"
Wow, as soon as I saw that I was expecting Kengo to get in trouble. OH and ooo I just have to hear about said date~ I bet something weirds gonig to happen.
THis really lives up to its name
-Hikari and Shigeru on a date
- May x Shuu "x" Hikari
- and SHinji's revenge