• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Exercise and Fitness Thread

LAWLZ FUNNY MAN

Pokemon Trainer
How can I actually get faster at swimming? My fifty free time is 36 seconds while another boy a year older has 27 seconds. As well as for the others strokes.

Thriller

Its almost time
Strengthen your legs by squatting. I've had really powerful legs my whole life and they've allowed me to become a great swimmer.

Strong legs mean strong kicks mean faster movements.

Nidogod

What should I do to help build up my back muscles? Any Deadlift variations? I'm excellent at those too.

I love deadlifts and they're the best. I often have to carry heavy production equipment at my job and it was incredible how much more I could lift off the ground because of my deadlifting. My back circuit was just the deadlifts, bent over row, standard upright row, and shrugs.

Personally, I did raised deadlifts. Put your weights on a smith machine and drop it all the way down, should be at about your ankles. When I'd raise it up I'd do the shrug at the top. The reason behind it is that initial lift from the ground to the ankles puts the most strain on your back and is the weakest of the muscles you work. By eliminating that foot or so I was able to immediately lift 50 lbs more and didn't feel that slight strain from the initial lift anymore.

Right now I do nothing. I severed the tendon in my left index finger last month and I'm having a cyst removed from my right wrist next week as well as a 50 hour a week work schedule. When I heal and find time I'm doing core and cardio. Day 1 - 10 pull ups, 15 push ups, 10 dips, 25 sit ups, 2 minute rest. Repeat until dead. Day 2 - burpees, jump rope, ab ripper x. Day 3 - elliptical or bike (I have bad knees as well lol).

Last edited:

Shiny_Wooper

i take mile runs twice a week and for school i run about 2/10 of a mile for gym.
i actually enjoy running, i use to swim but i don't have time to.
i feel good about exercising i also want to look good in a bikini :X

Ludwig

Do this if you hate yourself.

How could I miss that outrageous statement (referring to what you quoted)!?
The smith machine is only good for incline- and decline bench press. And that's only because a free weight alternative isn't available in all gyms (unless you use dumbbells, which still only works for incline).

Meowtastic

Sometimes I would lay on the floor and he'd be like "READY?" and I would yell at him that I wasn't. Well it was more of a groan because I didn't have the energy to yell lol.

haha, I'd do the same thing XD

i go to the gym every morning monday-friday. i mostly do cardio for around an hour. sometimes i'll do different strength exercises, or interval training. my goal is to be able to finish Insanity, honestly. haha, i WANT that shirt.

Nidogod

How could I miss that outrageous statement (referring to what you quoted)!?
The smith machine is only good for incline- and decline bench press. And that's only because a free weight alternative isn't available in all gyms (unless you use dumbbells, which still only works for incline).

It's really not that uncommon. And yes, the strength of doing raised deadlifts that way is because most gyms don't have raised platforms to put a bar on for the same purpose. Then again, I know it's a staple of the fitness crowd to have the "it's done this one single way and if you don't do it that way IT'S TOTALLY WRONG," mentality, so feel free to freak out.

TheSirPeras

The end of an era
I just did 100 push ups with like 30 seconds breaks in about 10 minutes. Feel pretty good :)

John Madden

resident policy guy
Then again, I know it's a staple of the fitness crowd to have the "it's done this one single way and if you don't do it that way IT'S TOTALLY WRONG," mentality, so feel free to freak out.

well no, it's more like a "have fun w/ ur shitty stabilizing muscles" mentality

I just did 100 push ups with like 30 seconds breaks in about 10 minutes. Feel pretty good :)

uh

Last edited:

Ludwig

It's really not that uncommon. And yes, the strength of doing raised deadlifts that way is because most gyms don't have raised platforms to put a bar on for the same purpose. Then again, I know it's a staple of the fitness crowd to have the "it's done this one single way and if you don't do it that way IT'S TOTALLY WRONG," mentality, so feel free to freak out.

No. The mentality rather is that free weights are better than machines because it builds stabilizing muscles. If you find an alternative way to do bench press or deadlift with a barbell, we don't mind that. The best result is actually acquired by mixing different ways of doing an exercise. If your doing pulling exercises, change the width of the handle sometimes for variation, etc.

WastingLight

I try to exercise, there are some weeks where i would exercise nearly everyday, but other weeks where i struggle to exercise once or twice a month. However I am still pretty fit thanks to working in the retail industry.

ForgottenPearl

I do light exercise every day with Wii Fit. I focus on the strength training exercises, and after thirty minutes, I'm working up a sweat. I also take a twenty minute walk every day if weather permits.

Rakansen

ラルフ
What's the best way to shave off fat? So far, I've been doing three reps of weighted crunches.

Also, what's an easy way to improve stamina for running? In P.E., I'm always falling behind when running. I don't have time to practice running in my neighborhood or on a treadmill.

Typhlosion Trainer

Fire Trainer
I have always exercised to keep myself in shape since I was in Middle School. But the last few years, my exercising has greatly increased (thanks greatly to having a full gym and recreation center I can go to at College since I am a student :D). I have mainly been in the weight rooms for the most part. I do sometimes spend time doing cardio by running, getting on the machines (tread mill, etc.), and playing sports there like basketball but not as much as I would like to. This coming semester I intend to continue my focus on my weight training, but put bigger emphasis on cardio and playing sports. Hopefully, my classes wont get too crazy that I have to cut back my cardio again.

While I am at home on breaks, I have exercise equipment like the iron gym, a resistance band, and a pair of dumbbells. I also have Wii Fit even though I haven't been on that in a while. I am always expanding my home exercise equipment when I can. I also do exercises that don't require any equipment.

So overall I have been really good and consistent with my exercising.

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
What's the best way to shave off fat? So far, I've been doing three reps of weighted crunches.

Also, what's an easy way to improve stamina for running? In P.E., I'm always falling behind when running. I don't have time to practice running in my neighborhood or on a treadmill.
I hope you mean 3 SETS not 3 REPS.
Do as many crunches as possible within a certain amount of time. Something like to build tone and definition. Running will help you shave off fat.
There are a few ways to improve stamina for running, you either run, or you run. And weight train as well. Both of those together and you'll increase your stamina in no time.

Ludwig

Do as many crunches as possible within a certain amount of time. Something like to build tone and definition. Running will help you shave off fat.
There are a few ways to improve stamina for running, you either run, or you run. And weight train as well. Both of those together and you'll increase your stamina in no time.

That running and abdomen exercises burn fat effectively are false myths.
The only way to lose fat is to consume more energy than you ingest. This is easiest accomplished with compound exercises. Do a lot of squats and deadlifts. The leg muscles are big and therefore consume a lot of energy. Do however remember to train the entire body. A good rep range is 6-10 reps.

The only way to increase stamina for running is to run. The body won't do anything that you don't demand from it. If you don't run, don't expect to get better at it (not counting things like losing 50kg fat, meaning that the mass you have to move is significantly less).

Rakansen

ラルフ
That running and abdomen exercises burn fat effectively are false myths.
The only way to lose fat is to consume more energy than you ingest. This is easiest accomplished with compound exercises. Do a lot of squats and deadlifts. The leg muscles are big and therefore consume a lot of energy. Do however remember to train the entire body. A good rep range is 6-10 reps.

The only way to increase stamina for running is to run. The body won't do anything that you don't demand from it. If you don't run, don't expect to get better at it (not counting things like losing 50kg fat, meaning that the mass you have to move is significantly less).

Okay, thanks! I'll try to go on the treadmill on the weekends if I have time. I'm doing three sets of eight for weighted crunches.