• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Exercise and Fitness Thread

hawkeye721

なんと素敵な歌!!!!!!!!
I go for a 2 mile walk allmost every day, permiting the weather, and when Im in the mood I do some push ups.

I like subject about health and fitness of one's body system too. I'm new here and this website really taken my attention because I really like Pokemon. I work out not that often but I make sure that I always eat healthy meals.

Moneyy

INACTIVE
Anyone know any good lower ab excersises? I have been trying reverse crunches and leg lifts, but the crunches don't seem to be working too well and the leg raises cause severe back pain.

Lion Demon

Fairy Type Champion
Right now, I'm using dumb bells everyday to tone my biceps & triceps...

I got myself back into working out after my friends starting to go with it again.

JerisEnigma

Unemployed Red Mage
Ooooh man, I go on about this everywhere... Guess I found my thread?

I'm trying to enlist in the Army, but they basically told me that it doesn't matter if you meet every single guideline *except* weight and not to bother coming back until I'd met that. They wouldn't take me and I can't seem to get hired ANYWHERE, so this is my only shot.
Sooo, I set myself up on a diet and exercise plan. Not much, just paying attention to what I ate (by writing it down), no more sodas and doing wimpy gym class type exercises. DROPPED WEIGHT LIKE A CHAMP. Theeen stopped. I didn't stop exercising or give up on the diet, the weight just hit a point where it *stuck*. Occasionally it would go up 5 lbs or so, I'd lose that and it'd be stuck right back where it was before.

My routine at this point: Weight lifting, cardio until complete exhaustion and DDR on off days (staggered throughout the week obviously, with a day off completely). I'm going to add running after we move sometime next month. That would have been in there before, but there's literally no where to run here that I wouldn't have to drive to. Too many cramped streets with no sidewalks, no parks, etc. and getting hit by a car kinda ruins the whole plan.

I feel GREAT, I'm stronger, my endurance is up... BUT that number refuses to drop. Sooo I cut more calories, get stricter... No results, aside from y'know... getting depressed, bailing for a month and having to start all over again.
Anyone have any tips on how to kill off that last stubborn 5-10lbs?! I have some DVDs specifically for that, but they're all just more cardio. :/

Last edited:

GoldenHouou

antagoonist
Ooooh man, I go on about this everywhere... Guess I found my thread?

I'm trying to enlist in the Army, but they basically told me that it doesn't matter if you meet every single guideline *except* weight and not to bother coming back until I'd met that. They wouldn't take me and I can't seem to get hired ANYWHERE, so this is my only shot.
Sooo, I set myself up on a diet and exercise plan. Not much, just paying attention to what I ate (by writing it down), no more sodas and doing wimpy gym class type exercises. DROPPED WEIGHT LIKE A CHAMP. Theeen stopped. I didn't stop exercising or give up on the diet, the weight just hit a point where it *stuck*. Occasionally it would go up 5 lbs or so, I'd lose that and it'd be stuck right back where it was before.

My routine at this point: Weight lifting, cardio until complete exhaustion and DDR on off days (staggered throughout the week obviously, with a day off completely). I'm going to add running after we move sometime next month. That would have been in there before, but there's literally no where to run here that I wouldn't have to drive to. Too many cramped streets with no sidewalks, no parks, etc. and getting hit by a car kinda ruins the whole plan.

I feel GREAT, I'm stronger, my endurance is up... BUT that number refuses to drop. Sooo I cut more calories, get stricter... No results, aside from y'know... getting depressed, bailing for a month and having to start all over again.
Anyone have any tips on how to kill off that last stubborn 5-10lbs?! I have some DVDs specifically for that, but they're all just more cardio. :/

I've heard that a lot of people have that problem when losing weight; at the start your weight drops really fast and then it gets a lot slower. It's to do with most of the weight you lose at the start just being liquids or something. That's also the point where many give up and end up never losing the weight they wanted to. Well, I can't claim to be an expert on the subject as I've never had to lose weight myself, but I've had a lot of friends who've had, so I've picked up stuff here and there.

First off, you need to stop bailing. Not only is giving up and having to do everything all over again frustrating, it's not good for your body at all. That's probably the biggest problem.

Secondly, it sounds like you exercise, but how's the rest of it? What's your diet like and do you sleep well, for example? Staying up late can cause you to gain more weight, and if you eat too little/too much at a time/not often enough, that does the same. What's important is also when you exercise; I suggest doing some of that stuff early in the morning when you wake up before you eat anything. If you've already eaten, the energy needed to exercise comes from the food still in your stomach, not from the fat on your body.

When it comes to eating, eat little and often. Eating something small (yet healthy!) every three hours seems to be ideal, because that keeps your digestion up. It's also recommended to drink a glass of water around fifteen minutes before eating anything proper, as that's kind of a "warning" to your stomach that you're about to eat and that it's needed to digest stuff now.

I don't know how much of this stuff you already knew but in any case, since it sounds like you do exercise often, the problem's probably with your diet. That, or you need to switch around your exercising methods more. Well, you probably do in either case. Try running and more stuff geared for the entire body. Good luck man.

On a general note, just realized our school has a gym we're free to use. That's awesome. I'm going to head there for any further exercise needs I have now.

Last edited:

JerisEnigma

Unemployed Red Mage
I've heard that a lot of people have that problem when losing weight; at the start your weight drops really fast and then it gets a lot slower. It's to do with most of the weight you lose at the start just being liquids or something. That's also the point where many give up and end up never losing the weight they wanted to. Well, I can't claim to be an expert on the subject as I've never had to lose weight myself, but I've had a lot of friends who've had, so I've picked up stuff here and there.

First off, you need to stop bailing. Not only is giving up and having to do everything all over again frustrating, it's not good for your body at all. That's probably the biggest problem.

Secondly, it sounds like you exercise, but how's the rest of it? What's your diet like and do you sleep well, for example? Staying up late can cause you to gain more weight, and if you eat too little/too much at a time/not often enough, that does the same. What's important is also when you exercise; I suggest doing some of that stuff early in the morning when you wake up before you eat anything. If you've already eaten, the energy needed to exercise comes from the food still in your stomach, not from the fat on your body.

When it comes to eating, eat little and often. Eating something small (yet healthy!) every three hours seems to be ideal, because that keeps your digestion up. It's also recommended to drink a glass of water around fifteen minutes before eating anything proper, as that's kind of a "warning" to your stomach that you're about to eat and that it's needed to digest stuff now.

I don't know how much of this stuff you already knew but in any case, since it sounds like you do exercise often, the problem's probably with your diet. That, or you need to switch around your exercising methods more. Well, you probably do in either case. Try running and more stuff geared for the entire body. Good luck man.

On a general note, just realized our school has a gym we're free to use. That's awesome. I'm going to head there for any further exercise needs I have now.

Yep yep, you pretty much just rattled off my whole dieting routine~ It's close to flawless and so strict that I never have to think about anything, just follow the feeding-schedule. XD
My sleeping is pretty hit or miss. Sometimes I sleep excellent, other times I stay up and regret it, and still others I might be hitting the sheets in good time but have major insomnia (probably from staying up too late too often and wrecking my internal clock).
I think my record was 4 months without letting up. That sucks. Someone my age shouldn't have stretch marks, and that alone shows how bad it is for your body. Too bad I don't react to stress negatively, as that'd help a BUNCH with my family.

Two obvious flaws, the rest is golden. Once we're in the new house, I'll start hauling *** around town and hopefully stick to it longer. Nothing like a fresh start!

EDIT: On that note, I should totally start early and go to BED. I just noticed that it's midnight and I'm exhausted. ಠ_ಠ

Last edited:

Succubus

Babe, let me break it down for you:

Your weight loss simply has hit a plateau. This is what I recommend: Change up your routine, for example, do other weight exercises that work out that muscle group. This serves as a shock to your system. Secondly, cardio also BURNS muscle (which weighs more than fat), so your weight loss may be muscle going away....to resolve this, you actually should be eating more. You have to eat enough to be in a caloric deficit, yet not so little that you're body defaults to using the muscle as fuel (fat is the body's last resort of energy). If you do too much cardio then your body actually WONT lose fat due to natures way of trying to stay alive lol Other IMPORTANT factors are definitely your diet and sleep. Diet is important because fat is stubborn and you should focus on not eliminating fat completely from your diet....stick to the "good" fats like nuts and avocado, eliminate sugar-- drink nothing but water and (unsweetened) tea, eliminate dairy, eliminate red meat, increase vegetable consumption (moreso than fruits).

And stop making excuses-- running is not the only form of cardio. Get yourself a jumprope...

Ludwig

Babe, let me break it down for you:

Your weight loss simply has hit a plateau. This is what I recommend: Change up your routine, for example, do other weight exercises that work out that muscle group. This serves as a shock to your system. Secondly, cardio also BURNS muscle (which weighs more than fat), so your weight loss may be muscle going away....to resolve this, you actually should be eating more. You have to eat enough to be in a caloric deficit, yet not so little that you're body defaults to using the muscle as fuel (fat is the body's last resort of energy). If you do too much cardio then your body actually WONT lose fat due to natures way of trying to stay alive lol Other IMPORTANT factors are definitely your diet and sleep. Diet is important because fat is stubborn and you should focus on not eliminating fat completely from your diet....stick to the "good" fats like nuts and avocado, eliminate sugar-- drink nothing but water and (unsweetened) tea, eliminate dairy, eliminate red meat, increase vegetable consumption (moreso than fruits).

And stop making excuses-- running is not the only form of cardio. Get yourself a jumprope...

I'm not sure if you are recommending her to do cardio or not.
Because she wants to join the army, cardio is important. But it's not important for losing weight. Weight lifting is a lot more efficient.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
I stay fit and in shape. I maintain my fitness by going for mile runs everyday, going for bike rides (I only do the bike rides when it's not winter time, but it's gonna be starting to warm up here soon.) Admittedly, I gotta start lifting more. I have to get my upper body strength back to what it use to be so here soon im gonna start hitting the weight room.

I also play a lot of basketball. I have a court in my backyard that I use, and I do a lot of basketball drills, I also do gassers and lot's of running. I have been working on increasing my vertical jump for basketball. I would love to be touching rim by this summer. I'm gonna be doing some basketball tournaments this Summer so I have been preparing myself on the court the last few weeks. I have to work around my work schedule, and my Pokemon playtime so im able to fit in my fitness routine. It all works out for me.

Succubus

I'm not sure if you are recommending her to do cardio or not.
Because she wants to join the army, cardio is important. But it's not important for losing weight. Weight lifting is a lot more efficient.

She should do cardio, but not to the point of exhaustion. Weight lifting actually will burn more calories than cardio since muscle burns calories throughout the day. Girls also naturally tend to have a harder time losing weight due to hormones, and just nature-- women need fat to bear a child, so nature naturally is resistant to let women lose fat easily.

Ludwig

She should do cardio, but not to the point of exhaustion. Weight lifting actually will burn more calories than cardio since muscle burns calories throughout the day. Girls also naturally tend to have a harder time losing weight due to hormones, and just nature-- women need fat to bear a child, so nature naturally is resistant to let women lose fat easily.

The bolded text is what I was thinking of when writing that weight lifting is more efficient. If she can do deadlift properly, that should help her a lot, because it's easy to deadlift otherwise heavy weights. Lifting heavy weights requires more energy than lifting light weights. So, Jeris ,if you are still reading this thread, learn to do deadlift.

JerisEnigma

Unemployed Red Mage
I do a weight day, cardio day, DDR/Misc Day (still an exercise day, but more fun or experimental), weight day, cardio day, then the weekend off. I used to do an extra day on the weekend, but that seemed to aggravate my laziness and was the first thing to go every time I bailed. Once I settled for straight weekends off, I tended to stick to the schedule longer.

Basically, the cardio days are to exhaustion because while my endurance is great, my stamina sucks. I can run/jog for hours, but sprints or fast runs... not even a minute. And that was in high school. (Of course, I rarely excercised ever then, and haven't run seriously since). All the vids and trainers I've listened to have said that would help. If you can push yourself LONGER, it's waaay better than a wimpy pace forever. Like better lifts rather than a million reps of nothing.

Thanks for the interest and input guys! It's awesome to break things down and sort of bounce it off someone else who's into this.
I only recently added deadlifts, but I don't do very many. They just don't seem to do much for me. I don't feel tired or pushed doing them, so I get bored and do something else that wears out my muscles. NOT to exhaustion though, or I won't be able to move the next day, haha. My weight routine is pretty much this but with actual weights and stretched out to an hour. ;) Depending on the move, I use 25-75lbs. Except for lats, which on a GOOD day I can do 20lbs. Also, dead hangs and a whole routine of reverse and assisted pull ups, because I have yet to do ONE pull/chin up in my LIFE. (Lucked out in PE; they counted them if we could jump that high and hold it for a second.)

As for cardio, I have a pile of routines to choose from, all about 45min, depending on how peppy I feel that day. Mostly Tai Bo type stuff, some dance and some pilates for if I'm freakin tired and sore that day. A lot of it is videos that I can follow and stay motivated, but I've also got some workouts I threw together from Basic prep courses and that 300 Challenge (with 10-20lbs max, as fast as I can get through it). Burpees are awesome to do any day of the week. :)

Ludwig

I only recently added deadlifts, but I don't do very many. They just don't seem to do much for me. I don't feel tired or pushed doing them, so I get bored and do something else that wears out my muscles.

Then put on more weight. You should be able to handle at least 160 pounds, probably more.

2 hours weight lifting weekly isn't a lot. You should have one leg day, one shoulder/chest day, one arm day and one back/abs day at at least one hour each every week. Or a similar routine.

Ha. I'm pretty lazy for the most part. I like to go to the gym maybe once a month and pretend like it did something. I'm in relatively good shape though. I'm not fat, not skinny. Just an average bear. Fitness is cool and all, but I do get kinda annoyed by people that get all judgy about it. i.e if you have even the slightest belly overhang you "don't care of your body" or "don't take of yourself" blah blah blah. It's just like, okay, whoa dude. If you wanna go carve that six pack and get that firm ass you've always wanted, go for it. Don't be getting on your high horsey and say I don't take care of my temple, I look just fine.

Last edited:

JerisEnigma

Unemployed Red Mage
Ha. I'm pretty lazy for the most part. I like to go to the gym maybe once a month and pretend like it did something. I'm in relatively good shape though. I'm not fat, not skinny. Just an average bear. Fitness is cool and all, but I do get kinda annoyed by people that get all judgy about it. i.e if you have even the slightest belly overhang you "don't care of your body" or "don't take of yourself" blah blah blah. It's just like, okay, whoa dude. If you wanna go carve that six pack and get that firm ass you've always wanted, go for it. Don't be getting on your high horsey and say I don't take care of my temple, I look just fine.

Heheh, I like that point of view. :) I could take or leave how I look, but as a female, I'll probably never be happy with that anyway. As long as I'm basically healthy, who cares?
Except of course when it comes to enlistment... The Army seems to care a whole lot about my number, hence me diving into a diet/exercise routine YET AGAIN lol.
As long as I meet those requirements, I'll probably fall back into a chiller point of view again~

Then put on more weight. You should be able to handle at least 160 pounds, probably more.

AH. Yep, that'd make a difference now, wouldn't it? >.<"
I'll have to get more free weights then. I only have enough to do 80-90 max, which is more than I can bench, so I didn't bother picking up more at the time.

Last edited: