• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Exercise and Fitness Thread

AJ2000

I have been working out for a long time now, but I haven't gotten serious about lifting until about a year ago. I used to just go to the gym and do the most random exercises, lol. But, I have started to like it, and it's one of my favorite hobbies. My lifts are(in case anyone cares, or for the other serious 'lifters'):

Bench: 75lbs Dumbbell Bench Press(not sure on barbell)
Deadlift: 370lbs
Squat: 300lbs

Yeah, my lifts are messed up. My deadlift and squat should be higher, and I should probably weigh more, seeing as I'm pretty underweight for my height. I'm 6'2" almost 6'3", and weigh like 190lbs. I'm still on a bulk right now, so I'm getting there.

Ludwig

I have been working out for a long time now, but I haven't gotten serious about lifting until about a year ago. I used to just go to the gym and do the most random exercises, lol. But, I have started to like it, and it's one of my favorite hobbies. My lifts are(in case anyone cares, or for the other serious 'lifters'):

Yeah, my lifts are messed up. My deadlift and squat should be higher, and I should probably weigh more, seeing as I'm pretty underweight for my height. I'm 6'2" almost 6'3", and weigh like 190lbs. I'm still on a bulk right now, so I'm getting there.

Is 75 the total weight of both dumbbells? I've found that most people bench about as much as they squat, but you seem to have a big gap, even if 75 is for each dumbbell. Maybe you can lift heavier with a barbell.
I usually lift a lot heavier with the barbell than with the dumbbells, but I also start my chest workout with barbell and use dumbbells towards the end. I also usually do more reps with the dumbbells than with the barbell.

How do you do the squats and deadlifts? Deadlift is hard to describe with words, but at least squats should be fine. How much you can squat depends a lot on how deep you squat. A 300lbs shallow squat would not impress me at all, but someone doing a deep 300lbs squat would at least make me think that the person is slightly strong. I've seen (weak?) people only going halfway to parallel with heavy weights.
I usually go deeper than parallel. I can get my butt down at least another 10cm without any problems, so I see no reason to not do that. It makes me lift lighter weights but the advantages outweigh that. I'm not going to compete in powerlifting.

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me

You sure you're going deep enough on those squats? At your height it would be pretty hard to dead lift that much and squat that much. (Depends on if your doing it traditional style or sumo style)

Moneyy

INACTIVE
Some factors that are probably more important than just doing ab workouts are diet and cardio. You may already have abs there, just underneath some belly fat. :p Doing a quick google search for diet will come up with a good idea of what to do, although in general try to keep the sodas, sweets, and junk foods away as much as possible. As far as cardio goes, I personally like running but there are plenty of options available.

Actually, I don't eat that much junk food, and I'm pretty slim. I barely have much fat left on my lower abdominals, which I'm trying to get rid of. But I haven't done much cardio, so will have to try that as well.

Also, some ab workouts that I try to do are mason twists, bicycles, planks, and v-ups (among others).

Thanks, I will try those.

Also, I have a question about the bench press. I find it hard to press a lot of weight (I currently bench around 110 lbs.) because it puts pressure on my triceps and shoulders. Is this supposed to happen, or am I doing something wrong?

Last edited:

Ludwig

Also, I have a question about the bench press. I find it hard to press a lot of weight (I currently bench around 110 lbs.) because it puts pressure on my triceps and shoulders. Is this supposed to happen, or am I doing something wrong?

The angle between the upper arm and the upper body should be significantly less than 90 degrees (about 45). Having it at 90 degrees is one possible reason for strain on the shoulders.

AJ2000

It's 75lbs dumbbell per arm. I tried doing 80lbs per arm today, and that works out nicely too, although my rest times are longer. And yeah, I can bench more on barbell, although it's been a long time since I have done barbell press (I prefer dumbbells). Also, like I said, my Deadlift and Squats are messed up stat-wise. On squats I go parallel, and the deadlifts are regular deadlifts(not sumo). I'm not sure why my squats are lagging behind that much. The only real reason I can think of is that maybe because I didn't used to work out my legs, until several months ago, thinking deadlifts would do the trick, and help in leg development.

Ludwig

It's 75lbs dumbbell per arm. I tried doing 80lbs per arm today, and that works out nicely too, although my rest times are longer. And yeah, I can bench more on barbell, although it's been a long time since I have done barbell press (I prefer dumbbells). Also, like I said, my Deadlift and Squats are messed up stat-wise. On squats I go parallel, and the deadlifts are regular deadlifts(not sumo). I'm not sure why my squats are lagging behind that much. The only real reason I can think of is that maybe because I didn't used to work out my legs, until several months ago, thinking deadlifts would do the trick, and help in leg development.

You are not supposed to be as strong at squats as you are at deadlift.

Kacho

You are next.
pulling weeds...
so many goddamn weeds in the yard.

it's a good back work out.. this whole weekend.

but i'm not even done :(

Yuukinoh

I got into weightlifting 3 years ago when I joined my football team. I did it initially to lose fat but then I started working out for strength gains and now I'm just trying to tone myself down.
I'm 5'11 around 195lbs and here were my last maxes:

Bench: 205
Squat: 325
Clean: 215
Deadlift: 395

Yeah I'm not that strong at all, especially compared to some of the guys that work out at my gym, and because of my toning I haven't really gotten any stronger since I was done with football; I don't mind since I'm more concerned with looking good but I'll go back to strength gaining after cutting enough weight.

You sure you're going deep enough on those squats? At your height it would be pretty hard to dead lift that much and squat that much. (Depends on if your doing it traditional style or sumo style)

Those numbers seem pretty reasonable for his size. I know one of my football teammates is like 6'1 and probably around 175 and he can squat 335, knees parallel to ground.

Mezelf

I'm starting my cut tomorrow on a powerlifting routine (with some bodyweight excersises added) and HIIT cardio on the off-days. Haven't been able to train for over a month due to overtraining, stress (private situation/work) and a wrist-injury. In the meantime I gained some weight (fat) so I expect to shed all of that in 2 months. I'm looking forward to starting again! :D

happinas

fairy~
I had restarted weight training and cardio about a month ago, and since this thursday I've been not doing anything whatsoever and have been eating too much (of the wrong thing) for example, today I made rainbow cupcakes when I got bored, I ate 2 hamburgers at lunch, with a load of crap for dinner and have been snacking poorly throughout the day; the previous two days I've been eating greasy fatty foods aswell and I'm feeling terrible.

Mezelf

Strong pecs = big pecs. That's basically the key. You can't get big pecs by just doing bodyweight exercises (like push ups) because your body has the tendency to adapt to certain stress factors. To get big pecs you have to get stronger in the basic lift (bench press) and add some additional exercises like incline dumbell presses. Also progressive overload is a key factor in this, it means you have to either increase your repetitions or the weight that you use, everytime you exercise.

Lion Demon

Fairy Type Champion
I use bodybuilding.com to help me out with exercising. They have motivational transformations & everything they talk about is all facts.

Conroy

Banned
Hi DarkGengar,
Thanks for starting exercise and fitness thread and like to say we must exercise regularly for healthy and active lifestyle as regular exercises not only helps in losing extra weight but also improve our immunity system and reduce the risk of high blood pressure, cholesterol, depression, obesity, stroke, certain types of cancer and cardiovascular disease.

Celestial Moth

Guardian of the Tree of Time
hey, im looking to bulk up ay, i was wondering what exercises i should be doing on an overall lvl.?