• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Expanded Pokedex Discussion Thread [Read First Post]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I thought that was kind of stupid. Why have any of their forms in it at all >.>

Some of them can be seen on trainers' rosters, but some cannot. I do think a few of those could be placed earlier in the game, for instance, put Blitzle in Virbank Complex, Golett in Relic Castle or Celestial Tower, Shuppet in Celestial Tower, Wingull on Driftveil Drawbridge (seriously, why is Ducklett the only Pokemon you can catch here, seems really pointless).

Kanethedragon

Veteran Pokegamer
I still think the dex would be easy. And all you need is a full team and a B/W with all the Unova pokemon and you can possibly get round charm early off (that's if you go towards Nuvema before post-game.) Or if there's programming that makes it unable for you to do all that, you can have the dex finished early off at least unless you want to start from scratch every new game, but then where's the fun in trolling the AI, but even so, going from scratch can also be fun. Anyways, it's your choice to do so or not, but what reason is there otther than what I said to NOT use what you aleady have (and just because you're underbadged doesn't mean it's impossible to use any high-level pokemon from another game, it just makes it harder, but if you have luck, you won't have a Blastoise from Blue or a Emboar from Black or any other pokemon trolling on you all the time.)

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
So ducks and swans work but not seagulls and pelicans? Wingull and Pelipper would've fit very well on the bridge.

Indeed. I was 99% certain that you'd be able to catch Wingull and Pelipper on the bridges, it just makes so much sense (fun fact, IRL there's this bridge leading into this beach resort I go to every summer, and every time we drive on that bridge there's seagulls perched on pretty much every streetlight along the bridge, so it's not too hard to imagine Wingull/Pelipper being the same way). Would there be any other Flying types that would make sense there, Pidove/Tranquill, Swablu maybe?

I still think the dex would be easy. And all you need is a full team and a B/W with all the Unova pokemon and you can possibly get round charm early off (that's if you go towards Nuvema before post-game.)

Lemme stop you right here. Nuvema Town isn't accessible until post game, so that's impossible.

Or if there's programming that makes it unable for you to do all that, you can have the dex finished early off at least unless you want to start from scratch every new game, but then where's the fun in trolling the AI, but even so, going from scratch can also be fun. Anyways, it's your choice to do so or not, but what reason is there otther than what I said to NOT use what you aleady have (and just because you're underbadged doesn't mean it's impossible to use any high-level pokemon from another game, it just makes it harder, but if you have luck, you won't have a Blastoise from Blue or a Emboar from Black or any other pokemon trolling on you all the time.)

So basically you're saying just trade over everything from BW1? That'd be unfeasible, you'd have to buy 100 some Pokeballs (and that's only if you want one from each evolutionary line), catch hundreds of junk Pokemon and trade them with BW1 one by one. That's extremely tedious, and shouldn't be necessary for a well designed game. A few families is understandable, but you can tell it's poorly designed when the distribution is so imbalanced and unfair that you feel like trading over a few dozen is more reasonable than waiting until the point in the game where you're actually supposed to catch them. You shouldn't have to go to those lengths to make up for bad design.

ToeyJoey

The Count
So basically you're saying just trade over everything from BW1? That'd be unfeasible, you'd have to buy 100 some Pokeballs (and that's only if you want one from each evolutionary line), catch hundreds of junk Pokemon and trade them with BW1 one by one.

That's what I was planning on doing from the start.

R_N

Anyone who ever tried getting the majority of Pokemon in 3rd gen are aware of the Troubles with Trading

Oh Colosseum & XD. So many zigzagoons...

R_N

Anyone who ever tried getting the majority of Pokemon in 3rd gen are aware of the Troubles with Trading

Oh Colosseum & XD. So many zigzagoons...

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Because you had to catch like a hundred Pokemon as trade fodder to get the other Pokemon from Colosseum, XD, FRLG,
getting the johto Pokemon especially needed this

To be fair, RS was when they first experimented with the idea of a regional dex, so I can give it a pass for not having any additional National Dex Pokemon (luckily Emerald fixed this to some degree) Colosseum and XD were more peripherals than full games, and FRLG were pretty good about the Pokemon distribution (they had a good 200 some available). And I'd expect future generations to be similar, when they have to fit more Pokemon into the same amount of games (I was pretty much expecting BW2 to be like this to a degree as well, but sadly it was not).

KyuremCraze

Aspiring Author
Pokemon B/W 2 had some weird distrubutions..... But it's better than having only Unova Pokemon. They are either Suck-ish or Broken (Here's looking at you Excadrill!) but you still gotta love 'em!

Pokechan

I am sorry to ask this, but who in the right mind on the development team thought that it was a good idea to not allow breeding until post game and to make the distribution of certain Pokemon so awkward? They could have moved the day care to Sangi Ranch. That area is the perfect place to put the day care in, but nope because the team either got lazy, confused, or were running out of time. The distribution of certain Pokemon is strange too because a lot of the Pokemon are either clustered in late game, post game or require trading and/or breeding.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I am sorry to ask this, but who in the right mind on the development team thought that it was a good idea to not allow breeding until post game and to make the distribution of certain Pokemon so awkward? They could have moved the day care to Sangi Ranch. That area is the perfect place to put the day care in, but nope because the team either got lazy, confused, or were running out of time. The distribution of certain Pokemon is strange too because a lot of the Pokemon are either clustered in late game, post game or require trading and/or breeding.

It definitely seemed like they didn't put much thought into what would happen when they changed the storyline path. If you notice, the wild Pokemon distribution in this game is actually similar to in BW1, which explains why the distribution is so clustered, because they didn't bother moving the Pokemon in East Unova to earlier areas. Instead of just opening up East Unova and calling it a day, they should've gone through each area and thought "All right, there's 150 more Pokemon to work with, which ones make sense for this area". It's not terribly hard, IDK why they didn't bother.

Ver-mont

It definitely seemed like they didn't put much thought into what would happen when they changed the storyline path. If you notice, the wild Pokemon distribution in this game is actually similar to in BW1, which explains why the distribution is so clustered, because they didn't bother moving the Pokemon in East Unova to earlier areas. Instead of just opening up East Unova and calling it a day, they should've gone through each area and thought "All right, there's 150 more Pokemon to work with, which ones make sense for this area". It's not terribly hard, IDK why they didn't bother.

Exactly. It's kinda weird how some areas have almost strictly just non-Unova Pokémon, while some others (sometimes neighboring) have almost only Unova Pokémon. The distribution really feels like lazy work.

R_N

Exactly. It's kinda weird how some areas have almost strictly just non-Unova Pokémon, while some others (sometimes neighboring) have almost only Unova Pokémon. The distribution really feels like lazy work.

The weird thing is that it seems it was very specific, baffling work.
Things like Yanma, Jigglypuff & Lickitung were both on route 14 and were specifically removed to post game area because ??? when they could have just left them alone. Other later areas also had their Pokemon taken away for little reason. Route 15 in particular is fascinating because Marowak & Kangaskhan were both removed despite the route still being in the post-game anyway (Fearow became a swarm [which I'm fine with but that's neither here nor there]).

Going in and removing/altering the pokemon found on certain routes sounds like it would take more time to do than just leaving them as they were and altering levels accordingly....so why not just be lazy and leave them alone (beyond levels)?

I wish gamefreak would talk about their decisions on pokemon distribution. Dumb, baffling, or infuriating (well, to some people) as they may be it would be nice to know their thought processes.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
The weird thing is that it seems it was very specific, baffling work.
Things like Yanma, Jigglypuff & Lickitung were both on route 14 and were specifically removed to post game area because ??? when they could have just left them alone. Other later areas also had their Pokemon taken away for little reason. Route 15 in particular is fascinating because Marowak & Kangaskhan were both removed despite the route still being in the post-game anyway (Fearow became a swarm [which I'm fine with but that's neither here nor there]).

I think the reason Pokemon were removed from Rt. 14 and 15 was because there were like, 10 Pokemon per route or something.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
But that's so much more fun than struggling through routes with few Pokémon...

Meh, it's not much of an improvement. Because then it gets hard to find particular Pokemon. Either way, the best move would've been to spread the non Unovan Pokemon to earlier routes.

GoldCyndaquil

Shiny Hunter
I agree with Bolt, putting more non-unovan pokemon in the earlier areas, as well as all that Seigaiha City jazz up there, because that's where nothing was before so that could easily just fit in there. I mean I love Sangi Ranch and all, I just feel like the only reason it was out there was just to shove in Riolu, Mareep, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.