• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Isle of Armor & The Crown Tundra DLC - GENERAL DISCUSSION Thread

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
IGN: 7.8/10. Too much water.

To be honest, I'm pretty exited to surf over all that water!

Contrary to most opinions, I very much enjoyed all the surfing and open sea in Ruby & Sapphire. It made the game more immersive for me, and to do so in an open world environment - in Pokémon - is going to be a real treat. I honestly think I'm going to spend the majority of my time on the Isle of Armor in the open sea. I want to see just how far it goes. I want to see if we can actually see Spikemuth from the edge of the island. I want to see what all secrets lie in the waters. I am so excited for this! :D

Last edited:

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
To be honest, I'm pretty exited to surf over all that water!

Contrary to most opinions, I very much enjoyed all the surfing and open sea in Ruby & Sapphire. It made the game more immersive for me, and to do so in an open world environment - in Pokémon - is going to be a real treat. I honestly think I'm to spend the majority of my time on the Isle of Armor in the open sea. I want to see just how far it goes. I want to see if we can actually see Spikemuth from the edge of the island. I want to see what all secrets lie in the waters. I am so excited for this! :D
It’s not that people didn’t like the open-ness of it but how bland every water route was with only the log town being noteworthy (and even that place isn’t really interesting too). And the Dive sections aren’t any better either.

I don’t have much hopes for those tiny isles scary scattered. They’re probably just locations for dens and nothing more lol.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
It’s not that people didn’t like the open-ness of it but how bland every water route was with only the log town being noteworthy (and even that place isn’t really interesting too). And the Dive sections aren’t any better either.

I don’t have much hopes for those tiny isles scary scattered. They’re probably just locations for dens and nothing more lol.

We won't know until we see.

I'm going to explore each and every part of that island and its archipelagos. I'm stoked, man! :D

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Can't wait for Zoroark.

Opponent: Ha ha! I outsmarted you! I knew that was Zoroark the whole time! Tyranitar! Stone Edge!
Me: My Zoroark has a focus sash & focus blast! I outsmarted your outsmarting!
Opponent: Ha ha! I outsmarted your outsmarting of my outsmarting! My Tyranitar has a Focus Sash as well!
Me: Nani!?

Pikachu111213

Traveler
So I’ve noticed on the map of Isle of Armor, in the bottom right there is a square island that seems to have a crown on it. I wonder what that is, if I’m not reading too much into it. Also, in regards to that island with the tree, that’s important enough to get its own area, I’ve seen suggestions that it could be an apricorn tree, which I think could be the case

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
On another note. Who else is excited that GameFreak is testing what direction to go to for Gen 9 through their DLC, experimenting with a full open world with a full rotational 360 degree camera, at the cost of 30 bucks?

Also, considering how the DLC's wild area appears to be far more cramped with stuff to do & see in it's small but highly explorable area then what Galar's massive wild area could achieve, I bet if we had five cramped maps, similar to Isle of Armor's map, put together that made up Galar's wild area, it would result in a better product since one of the big complaints was how empty Galar felt, and that was partly due to Galar's big but very flat wild area. Of course, five maps put together that is full of stuff to do and see would require more development time.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
On another note. Who else is excited that GameFreak is testing what direction to go to for Gen 9 through their DLC, experimenting with a full open world with a full rotational 360 degree camera, at the cost of 30 bucks?

Also, considering how the DLC's wild area appears to be far more cramped with stuff to do & see in it's small but highly explorable area then what Galar's massive wild area could achieve, I bet if we had five cramped maps, similar to Isle of Armor's map, put together that made up Galar's wild area, it would result in a better product since one of the big complaints was how empty Galar felt, and that was partly due to Galar's big but very flat wild area. Of course, five maps put together that is full of stuff to do and see would require more development time.

I sincerely hope that after all the Dexit drama, Game Freak is giving themselves more time to develop Gen 9.

The next main installment could be out as early as 2022, but I pray it comes out in 2023. Even more so, I pray we don't get any other titles between now and then. That would leave them with as much time as possible to develop Gen 9.

Pikachu111213

Traveler
I sincerely hope that after all the Dexit drama, Game Freak is giving themselves more time to develop Gen 9.

The next main installment could be out as early as 2022, but I pray it comes out in 2023. Even more so, I pray we don't get any other titles between now and then. That would leave them with as much time as possible to develop Gen 9.
Personally I’m still hoping for Gen 4 remakes. But I imagine Gen 9 will be a little easier to develop since it wont be their first creation on the Switch. In my view of a perfect world, we will get the DLC this year, Sinnoh next year, a break in 2022, and Gen 9 in 2023.

Like what shoz999 said, I definitely can see them trying new things in the DLC, especially with the co-op mode coming in Crown Tundra

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Personally I’m still hoping for Gen 4 remakes. But I imagine Gen 9 will be a little easier to develop since it wont be their first creation on the Switch. In my view of a perfect world, we will get the DLC this year, Sinnoh next year, a break in 2022, and Gen 9 in 2023.

Like what shoz999 said, I definitely can see them trying new things in the DLC, especially with the co-op mode coming in Crown Tundra

I believe I've stated this before, but I would much prefer the Gen 4 remake to be distributed as DLC for Sword & Shield.

It will not only be cheaper to make, but easier. By the release of The Crown Tundra, almost every pokemon in the Sinnoh Dex will be in Sword & Shield, meaning models won't have to be remade. Instead of spending millions of dollars and countless months on remaking a game, they could just develop a Sinnoh-related expansion pack. Maybe Galar can get its own Battle Frontier, and all the Sinnnoh gym leaders and frontier brains arrive to coronate it. And that could just be the first half; the second could be an entire Arceus-related plot, or even Giratina.

The point is, I think making the possible remake as DLC instead would be a much better option. Saves time and money.

Pikachu111213

Traveler
I believe I've stated this before, but I would much prefer the Gen 4 remake to be distributed as DLC for Sword & Shield.

It will not only be cheaper to make, but easier. By the release of The Crown Tundra, almost every pokemon in the Sinnoh Dex will be in Sword & Shield, meaning models won't have to be remade. Instead of spending millions of dollars and countless months on remaking a game, they could just develop a Sinnoh-related expansion pack. Maybe Galar can get its own Battle Frontier, and all the Sinnnoh gym leaders and frontier brains arrive to coronate it. And that could just be the first half; the second could be an entire Arceus-related plot, or even Giratina.

The point is, I think making the possible remake as DLC instead would be a much better option. Saves time and money.
I’m skeptical, as I’d want full remakes, but I’d definitely be willing to give something like this a try.

I guess that’s my whole issue with the fans this gen. Nobody is willing to try things. I see so many people already condemning this DLC as crap, or being too small or whatever, when it isn’t even out yet.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I’m skeptical, as I’d want full remakes, but I’d definitely be willing to give something like this a try.

I guess that’s my whole issue with the fans this gen. Nobody is willing to try things. I see so many people already condemning this DLC as crap, or being too small or whatever, when it isn’t even out yet.

From what I've seen, the majority of the folks complaining are those who haven't even played Sword & Shield.

Same old Dexit mess.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony

Yeah, and the wild Pokémon random encounters that you'd find everywhere. I felt Route 9 was executed pretty well largely because you weren't running into wild Tentacool or Frillish every five seconds if you weren't battling someone. You can see every Pokémon that pops up, and the ones that chase you down, like Grapploct, can be evaded too.

The issue that might still popup, however, is the wideness of some water routes, which causes you to miss things if you don't scour every last bit of it. This was a problem I had with the Hoenn games. It was pretty nice to be able to wander around the eastern area, with its archipelago and all, but they'd hide goodies, trainers, and other things that might be necessary to proceed. For instance, I somehow briefly got lost playing Omega Ruby and couldn't find Sootopolis City for like 30 minutes.

All the water might lock people out of Isle of Armor if they haven't gotten the bicycle upgrade as well. I'm sure the story stuff can be done entirely on that one main island though.

From what I've seen, the majority of the folks complaining are those who haven't even played Sword & Shield.

Same old Dexit mess.

To be fair, the people who didn't play Sword & Shield are in a worse spot, since they'd have to buy one of them AND the DLC, which will cost a lot more than just starting later. That's why I think there's an advantage, albeit diminished, over releasing a standalone game. People can start there instead, which seems to be a pretty popular thing to do in Japan (which is to start later into a generation, sitting out the initial games). They'd have more reason to be upset about the DLC route because the barrier is higher for the ones who haven't taken the plunge.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
All the water might lock people out of Isle of Armor if they haven't gotten the bicycle upgrade as well. I'm sure the story stuff can be done entirely on that one main island though.
Has it been said anywhere at what point in the game's story you can access the Isle of Armour? Like do you need to wait until post-game or can you go there while you're still doing the Gym Challenge? I remember hearing you can go to the island as soon as after your first visit to the Wild Area, but perhas I have that wrong.
Because if you can go there during the Gym Challenge, I suppose you could do the main story before the fourth or fifth gyms, then go back there and explore the sea and smaller islands after you get the bike upgrade on Route 9.

Heatleo

Older Pokemon Trainer
Overall I'm looking forward to the DLC. I was impressed with how much has been shown for the first DLC so far, although, I will say that I am wondering how they are going to split the new and returning Pokemon ratios for both pieces of DLC. By that I mean will it be 40% of new and other returning Pokemon in the first one and then 60% in the second one? Again I'm not sure but I figure that the second one will be out with more Pokemon than the first one. Also, on a more personal note, I'm looking forward to hopefully the return of older fossil Pokemon as well.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Since a potential gap year was mentioned, this is a completely short-sited desire with not completely logical reasoning, but I really hope we don't have a true gap year this generation. As far as I'm concerned, 2020 is a gap year. The DLC will be fun, but I don't see it providing the same entertainment value as an actual game, so having 2022 as a gap year would just make it feel like this generation has two gap years for me, and I really don't want that to happen.