• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Expectations for Pokemon Switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kage-Pikachu

I'm expecting at least some voice acting in these games. At least for the cut-scenes. And the ability to watch Pokemon in their natural habitats. I know Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon did a limited amount of this with a handful of non-interactible Pokemon moving throughout some of the routes.

BlueGreyPidove

I expect the graphics to be freakin' fantastic. Other than that, I'm whatever about everything.

I don't want to psych myself out and expect graphics like Kingdom Hearts or Final Fantasy, but I don't want to tell myself that the game won't be much different from Gen 7.

Sun and Moon was released just roughly three years after X & Y, and the difference in the graphics was stunning, and on the same console. If that can be achieved with just two years of development on the 3DS, I'm pretty freakin' optimistic about two years of development on the Switch.
I'm hoping the cell shaded style stays and the games are as bright and as vibrant as they can be. If Pokemon Switch were to be as visually impressive as Ni no Kuni, Persona 5 or even Xenoblade Chronicles 2 I would be amazed. I'm not a fan of Pokken's art style, so I hope Game Freak strays from realism.

BlueGreyPidove

I'm expecting at least some voice acting in these games. At least for the cut-scenes. And the ability to watch Pokemon in their natural habitats. I know Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon did a limited amount of this with a handful of non-interactible Pokemon moving throughout some of the routes.
I'm not expecting it, but having walking Pokemon would be satisfying. The Pokemon wouldn't even need to be to scale, just having them would be enough for me.

GarchompTheAssassin

Water starter fan
I don't expect a BotW tier game (nor an open world), but I expect something a hell of a lot better than gen 7

Vinsmoke

I think we can expect an open world knowing that it's on Switch... And during the interview they did answering questions on internet concerning Pokemon Switch, they said "We are working on it" as a reply to someone who wrote "I want an open world Pokemon game"

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I don't expect a BotW tier game (nor an open world), but I expect something a hell of a lot better than gen 7

I do expect this game to be BotW-tier, just not for the same reasons.

Masuda stated more than once that he is well aware of how serious this transition is, and how impacting it will be to the series. He knows, as he said himself, he cannot afford to mess up. Masuda being this aware of the gravity of the Switch title's impact reassures me that this game will be very impressive, even with the flaws we all know it will have ('cause no game is without flaws). I'm certain Game Freak will put everything they have into producing something worthy of the console transition. It may not be like BotW, but I think most of us will be pleased.

Kage-Pikachu

I suck at Breath of the Wild, I can't even get passed the first boss, lol. But I'll keep trying.

I just want the world to look more alive, like the cut-scenes we get when first entering a new town/city you see the people and Pokemon interacting and moving briefly. I'd like to see more liveliness, like having npcs pet their Pokemon or something. Just to feel more like-like.

Milennin

*hugs Absol*
With Pokémon, setting expectations for anything that go beyond slightly above what the previous generation had to offer is foolish. The only major upgrade I'd expect to see in the graphics department, because console > handheld.

Basically, what I'm expecting is to see more of the same, but with shinier graphics. Some old beloved features taken out (because GameFreak logic) and replaced with something new that gets abandoned by the time the generation after that comes out. But who knows, they might for once surprise me...

Mikeachu

Soul Trainer
Truth be told, most of my interest in a console pokemon game had been mainly in wi-fi battles, which I can easily record footage of for my youtube channel. The actual game itself is almost irrelevant to me. IMO this is no different than the Stars rumor from last year: Gen 8 will come when it's ready, enjoy the appitizer we're getting until then.

P.S. Besides, any opportunity to see Misty in another game (& by extension the anime/manga) is one worth taking.

MewsTruck

I would like a BotW idea for pokemon. But thats a whole different scenario for another time and not worth the high hopes. At least lest restrictions and less linear and also non mandatory side quest

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
Earlier someone asked what defines a new generation in regards to the Pokemon series. To me this is what I expect Generation 8 to be:
  • Region - A new region based off a place we haven't visited yet. Some examples being Australia, Spain, Scandinavia, Canada, New England, and China. Personally I'd rather visit any of these places over returning to Kanto for the fourth time.
  • Pokemon - A region that has a trio of new starters. Along with that new legendaries and a variety of other Pokemon to fill the Pokedex.
  • Villians - A new villeanous team to hinder your adventure through the story.
  • Theme - Every game that introduces a new generation has a theme. (Hoenn = Nature, Sinnoh = Mythology, Unova = Duality/Balance, Alola = Friendship). So I expect Generation 8 to have some sort of theme behind it.

Kage-Pikachu

I was wondering for the longest time what Alola's theme was, thanks. It really does make sense for it to be friendship since it was the bonds between Lillie and Nebby, Lillie and You, and You, Gladion (though he denies it), and Hau that push this game forward.

MewsTruck

Earlier someone asked what defines a new generation in regards to the Pokemon series. To me this is what I expect Generation 8 to be:
  • Region - A new region based off a place we haven't visited yet. Some examples being Australia, Spain, Scandinavia, Canada, New England, and China. Personally I'd rather visit any of these places over returning to Kanto for the fourth time.
  • Pokemon - A region that has a trio of new starters. Along with that new legendaries and a variety of other Pokemon to fill the Pokedex.
  • Villians - A new villeanous team to hinder your adventure through the story.
  • Theme - Every game that introduces a new generation has a theme. (Hoenn = Nature, Sinnoh = Mythology, Unova = Duality/Balance, Alola = Friendship). So I expect Generation 8 to have some sort of theme behind it.
This is ok except we've done that same routine since Gameboy and until now with the 3ds. The only thing that would justify a $60 price tag would be if its more in depth as in side quests, more scenery, more dynamic ect... things to do during the story besides waiting till the post game.

BotW(not comparing just an example)
I spent hours just cooking, traveling, obtaining weapons ect.. before even doing the main story and while doing the main story to take a break from it. Im just tired of the linear feel of pokemon games. I respect them and grew up with them just dont want to feel cheated out everytime a NEW game is released cause its the SAME routine again

Kage-Pikachu

Dude I can't even kill the first boss, it's this giant stone creature and it keeps killing me!!!!

I'm sure it will be a great game.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
So if the rumors are true and this game is really a Kanto game, this is what I need to see to make a purchase:

-New areas and redesigned areas for the region. The technology has evolved drastically so the map design should too. Don't just copy/paste the same map tile for tile as they've done for every other return trip to Kanto. With advancements in 3D and the jump to console, Kanto should look MUCH more realistic than it did originally. No tiny routes that you can cross in 5 seconds (Looking at you, Rt. 7, 16, and 18), no routes that are flat as a pancake, even in areas that should be mountainous. Make big cities like Saffron and Celadon feel closer to the likes of Castelia and Lumiose. They're based on Tokyo for Arceus' sake! As for new areas, there's one section of RL Kanto that hasn't really been represented in the games, the Tochigi Prefecture, which is located to the North. So maybe add some new areas north of Rt. 25 based on Tochigi.

-More Pokemon than just the original 151. The Kanto Dex easily has the worst variety out of any regional dex ever, with multiple types not even having enough Pokemon to make a full team out of! And even throwing in cross gen evos and Alola forms doesn't completely solve the problem, that's how dire the situation is. The game should have more than just Kanto families. I don't care if they make completely new Pokemon, I don't care if they make new Kantonian forms of existing Pokemon, I don't care if they just throw in stuff from other regions. Just something more than just throwing in cross gen evos like they did for HGSS and ORAS, that's not enough here.

-An actual story. Kanto's never really had much of a story in the games. The story amounts to "go beat the league and stop Team Rocket from doing bad stuff". Now I don't want it to go full on SM where you stop every 5 seconds for a cutscene or dialogue, but having characters that serve as more than just punching bags or NPCs would definitely improve this game. And Team Rocket needs an actual plan beyond just "invade random areas for the lulz", I want to see them put together a master plan that makes them a legitimate threat instead of just being random thugs.

-New features and things to do. Kanto's tended to be a very barebones experience. It doesn't have its own regional gadget or other neat features, it doesn't have a lot of side activities. It's mainly just same old, same old. This is not going to be acceptable in a modern console Pokemon game, the game should have plenty of character in its extra features and have plenty of things to do outside of the main campaign. It should have a robust online mode (and not one as obtuse and inconvenient as Festival Plaza), a side activity of some sorts with as much depth and content as Contests and Secret Bases, battle facilities to enter (and more than just the generic Battle Tower clone please), and plenty of QoL features. Kanto would have a LOT more life and identity if they include these kinds of extras.

If we don't get a game of that caliber, then no sale. There is absolutely no excuse for this game to not feel like a dramatic improvement, not when this game is supposed to be a modern take on Kanto on a modern console.

BlueGreyPidove

So if the rumors are true and this game is really a Kanto game, this is what I need to see to make a purchase:

-New areas and redesigned areas for the region. The technology has evolved drastically so the map design should too. Don't just copy/paste the same map tile for tile as they've done for every other return trip to Kanto. With advancements in 3D and the jump to console, Kanto should look MUCH more realistic than it did originally. No tiny routes that you can cross in 5 seconds (Looking at you, Rt. 7, 16, and 18), no routes that are flat as a pancake, even in areas that should be mountainous. Make big cities like Saffron and Celadon feel closer to the likes of Castelia and Lumiose. They're based on Tokyo for Arceus' sake! As for new areas, there's one section of RL Kanto that hasn't really been represented in the games, the Tochigi Prefecture, which is located to the North. So maybe add some new areas north of Rt. 25 based on Tochigi.

-More Pokemon than just the original 151. The Kanto Dex easily has the worst variety out of any regional dex ever, with multiple types not even having enough Pokemon to make a full team out of! And even throwing in cross gen evos and Alola forms doesn't completely solve the problem, that's how dire the situation is. The game should have more than just Kanto families. I don't care if they make completely new Pokemon, I don't care if they make new Kantonian forms of existing Pokemon, I don't care if they just throw in stuff from other regions. Just something more than just throwing in cross gen evos like they did for HGSS and ORAS, that's not enough here.

-An actual story. Kanto's never really had much of a story in the games. The story amounts to "go beat the league and stop Team Rocket from doing bad stuff". Now I don't want it to go full on SM where you stop every 5 seconds for a cutscene or dialogue, but having characters that serve as more than just punching bags or NPCs would definitely improve this game. And Team Rocket needs an actual plan beyond just "invade random areas for the lulz", I want to see them put together a master plan that makes them a legitimate threat instead of just being random thugs.

-New features and things to do. Kanto's tended to be a very barebones experience. It doesn't have its own regional gadget or other neat features, it doesn't have a lot of side activities. It's mainly just same old, same old. This is not going to be acceptable in a modern console Pokemon game, the game should have plenty of character in its extra features and have plenty of things to do outside of the main campaign. It should have a robust online mode (and not one as obtuse and inconvenient as Festival Plaza), a side activity of some sorts with as much depth and content as Contests and Secret Bases, battle facilities to enter (and more than just the generic Battle Tower clone please), and plenty of QoL features. Kanto would have a LOT more life and identity if they include these kinds of extras.

If we don't get a game of that caliber, then no sale. There is absolutely no excuse for this game to not feel like a dramatic improvement, not when this game is supposed to be a modern take on Kanto on a modern console.
My greatest fear for a Kanto remake is Game Freak might believe the bare minimum is fine for a console game, just making things prettier, little story change and recycle the Battle Tower clones, have no post game, and randomly throw in later generation Pokemon without thought.
Doing the bare minimum changes isn't acceptable, especially if they want fans from the newer games to come and buy it, not just Gen 1 fans. Many people who stuck around from the DS games to the 3DS games are tired of the disappointing games lately and this might be the last chance to win them over. I really hope Game Freak doesn't think that slapping a prettier Kanto in the game is automatically going to win back those people and make them want to spend $60.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
My greatest fear for a Kanto remake is Game Freak might believe the bare minimum is fine for a console game, just making things prettier, little story change and recycle the Battle Tower clones, have no post game, and randomly throw in later generation Pokemon without thought.
Doing the bare minimum changes isn't acceptable, especially if they want fans from the newer games to come and buy it, not just Gen 1 fans. Many people who stuck around from the DS games to the 3DS games are tired of the disappointing games lately and this might be the last chance to win them over. I really hope Game Freak doesn't think that slapping a prettier Kanto in the game is automatically going to win back those people and make them want to spend $60.

Yeah, a bare minimum game is not going to go over well, not on a console like the Switch. Honestly, I feel like Game Freak doesn't understand the market all that well. They keep pointing to mobile and saying "mobile is insanely popular, so everything we do should be like mobile". Thing is though, the reason mobile is so popular is because it's a swiss army knife of technology and offers more than just games, it also offers internet, social media, music, movies, etc. And while there are a lot of people playing mobile games there aren't a lot of people paying for them. So how many of these people are really going to pay $300 for a Switch and then an extra $60 for a Pokemon game? Probably not many. The Switch doesn't have the multimedia features they want to even come close to supplanting their smartphone and they're not going to want to pay $360 for the privilege, so most of that audience isn't going to be interested.

Meanwhile, the game's actual audience, gamers who have played dedicated gaming devices like the 3DS or Wii/Wii U, have high expectations for a Switch Pokemon game. The Switch, being a hybrid home console/handheld, brings with it the promise of being able to have a home console caliber game that you can play anywhere you want. And the expectations for a home console caliber game are pretty much the opposite of Game Freak's mobile focused design philosophy. A console game needs to be large, it needs to offer a sense of freedom, it needs to be packed with content. Home console is pretty much a "go big or go home" sort of environment, the games need to be ambitious to hold people's attention. So if Game Freak isn't significantly elevating their standards with the Switch they've completely missed the point of why people are excited for home console Pokemon, and it could very well have a negative effect on their bottom line. This game has to impress, whatever it is.

I mean, I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record about this, but it's insane how Game Freak doesn't seem to understand this. You'd think it'd be common sense.

Last edited:

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
Yeah, a bare minimum game is not going to go over well, not on a console like the Switch. Honestly, I feel like Game Freak doesn't understand the market all that well. They keep pointing to mobile and saying "mobile is insanely popular, so everything we do should be like mobile". Thing is though, the reason mobile is so popular is because it's a swiss army knife of technology and offers more than just games, it also offers internet, social media, music, movies, etc. And while there are a lot of people playing mobile games there aren't a lot of people paying for them. So how many of these people are really going to pay $300 for a Switch and then an extra $60 for a Pokemon game? Probably not many. The Switch doesn't have the multimedia features they want to even come close to supplanting their smartphone and they're not going to want to pay $360 for the privilege, so most of that audience isn't going to be interested.

Meanwhile, the game's actual audience, gamers who have played dedicated gaming devices like the 3DS or Wii/Wii U, have high expectations for a Switch Pokemon game. The Switch, being a hybrid home console/handheld, brings with it the promise of being able to have a home console caliber game that you can play anywhere you want. And the expectations for a home console caliber game are pretty much the opposite of Game Freak's mobile focused design philosophy. A console game needs to be large, it needs to offer a sense of freedom, it needs to be packed with content. Home console is pretty much a "go big or go home" sort of environment, the games need to be ambitious to hold people's attention. So if Game Freak isn't significantly elevating their standards with the Switch they've completely missed the point of why people are excited for home console Pokemon, and it could very well have a negative effect on their bottom line. This game has to impress, whatever it is.

I mean, I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record about this, but it's insane how Game Freak doesn't seem to understand this. You'd think it'd be common sense.

I agree with this 100%. Game Freak can't afford to rest on its laurels and the history of Pokémon and play it safe, especially when two of Nintendo's big franchises like Zelda and Mario both went big on the Switch. And let's see how that did for Zelda and Mario. For Zelda, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will be, if it isn't already, the bestselling game in the Zelda franchise in history. For Mario, in 5-6 months, Super Mario Odyssey sold 10.41 million copies, and people are speculating that it could sell upwards of 20 million in its lifetime. It will almost certainly become the bestselling 3D Mario game in the franchise history, and could very well become the bestselling non-bundled Mario game in history assuming it doesn't get bundled with the Switch in the future. Plus, you also have the hype for Smash on Switch, where a single trailer generated a ton of hype to the point where I saw commenters saying that Nintendo didn't need Pokémon to release this year if it has Smash. Game Freak has to go big with Pokémon on the Switch, even if it does take place in Kanto and is a more advanced reimagining of Yellow. Anything less could potentially have Pokémon Switch be Pokémon's Metroid Other M and have it sell far less than Game Freak, and Nintendo, wants and it could also affect Pokémon spinoff games since people will want a good Pokémon for the Switch and won't be patient in waiting for one... and likely, neither would Nintendo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.