• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Experience Formula?

Frostcat

Icy Cool
As I understand it, a native pokemon (from the same game) gets 1x experience, a non-native pokemon gets 1.5x and a non-native foreign pokemon (from another game in another country) gets 1.7x.

How does this stack with Lucky Egg (1.5x)? 1.5*1.7=2.55 or 1.5+1.7=3.2?

23caterpie

pokemaster
You times them not plus. Also I never heard of the 1.7 times experience for foreigners. I thought it was just 1.5 just like every other pokemon with diferent IDs.

Frostcat

Icy Cool
Trading is necessary in order to collect every Pokémon in the Pokédex, as some Pokémon aren't available in each edition. For example, Meowth cannot be found in Pokémon Red, and the player must trade with someone who has a copy of Pokémon Blue. Some Pokémon only evolve after being traded. Trading away a Pokémon will not remove its Pokédex entry.

Traded Pokémon gain 1.5× the normal experience after a Pokémon battle. Pokémon traded from another country will gain 1.7× experience.

Trading may also be used to transfer additional instances of limited and rare items, such as Master Balls or Soul Dews, from one game to another by making a Pokémon hold them.

From Bulbapedias trade article.

Anyway, thank you for that information, so it would be 255% experience. Ironic, because hex caps at 255? :p

I assume that the game pak can be english (for example, UK > USA) because it only says "From Another Country" not "From Another Language".

I typically go out of my way to get foreign pokemon because of the Masuda Method (whereby shinies are easier to breed), so it tends to be a nice bonus that I can get their moves a little faster. :)

Last edited:

23caterpie

pokemaster
I'm pretty sure that the Masuda Method only works with different language not just different country though right. (As in a US with a UK poke doesn't work with Masuda Method)

Frostcat

Icy Cool
I'm pretty sure that the Masuda Method only works with different language not just different country though right. (As in a US with a UK poke doesn't work with Masuda Method)

I merely meant that I usually look for pokemon of a different language, which automatically gets me 1.7x experience (because it's also a foreign game).

You are correct, though, the pokemon have to have been generated (either bred or captured) in different language games. So a pokemon traded from a japanese game will work (assuming you're not using a japanese game!).

However Meister's magikarp will not work because it was generated on your game, not a foreign game. :)

Frostcat

Icy Cool
These numbers, as far as I know, were found by the fandom, not released by Nintendo/Gamefreak. So really, they made it 'simple' by just saying "Traded pokemon get extra experience." Some of us just like to know what those numbers are.

The Masuda Method, as I understand it, was added specifically to make getting shinies just a little easier. Considering how complicated getting shinies can end up being anyway, I don't think it's that bad. :p