• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Explain to me the cons of basing our culture off religion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GetOutOfBox

Original Series Fan
And oh, flying spaghetti monster, you brought up string theory...

[img139]http://knowyourmeme.com/system/icons/206/original/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster.jpg?1241373617[/img139]

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage?

What does that have to do with Evolution? Nothing.

Let's not have another one of these. The point was not evolution, but origin. Geez...

And are you seriously suggesting the Big Bang ISN'T scientifically sound? What isn't scientifically sound about the universe not starting at a certain point?

...you didn't really read the quote, did you?

I suppose it's possible, but there's no telling if every single fetus can feel pain as short as 8 weeks (I don't know why you said shorter than 8 weeks..).

I was referring to the part that said, "Lip tactile response may be evoked by the end of the 7th week." Of course, that's just for lips but...

Also, responding to external stimuli isn't the same as "pain".

"Pain can be detected when nociceptors (pain receptors) discharge electrical impulses to the spinal cord and brain. These fire impulses outward, telling the muscles and body to react. These can be measured." Same article. Unless you've got evidence otherwise?

The M-Theory nicely covers the events preceding the Big Bang, though like all science based around a time before our universe it's impossible to prove practically, theories based on mathematics and guesses based upon observation have been made.

The M-Theory also discusses multiple dimensions, which, like God, is something that exists beyond our world and is purely a faith based assumption.

Well this article (Wikipedia) states that at the first stages a fetus is not capable of feeling pain, and that it's brain has only just started to develop. The fact that you cited a website that is very, very Pro-Life (aka biased) to prove my Pro-Choice attitude wrong is pretty funny. That's like Christians arguing with Muslims, with both of them citing their respective religious texts as references ("My bible say's your Bible's wrong." "Well mine say's that your god doesn't exist")

:rolleyes: Wow, there are so many things wrong with this.

-You cited Wikipedia for your last two links, and you're complaining about my source?

-There are really only two different sides an article could be on in this debate: Pro-Life or Pro-Choice. A Pro-Choice article would have done nothing to help my argument, so I used the one that would.

-Does bias honestly change scientific fact?

Which is why I said philosophically. I clearly stated that yes, medically the fetus is a seperate being. My point was that whether or not it has it's own genetic code is irrelevent to whether or not it's a concious being. A bacterium has it's own genetic code, are vaccines murder? Should they be illegal?

What? Killing bacteria is not even in the same boat as killing an individual person. Oh, and vaccines aren't used to kill bacteria, just viruses. :)

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
jesusfreak said:
...you didn't really read the quote, did you?
A quote you said or another article? "This is hardly more scientifically sound."

Edit: Maybe you meant scientifically unsound if the Big Bang was stated as the actual origin. I guess I have no problem with that, but it doesn't state it as the origin of the entire universe (or universes; whatever).

"Pain can be detected when nociceptors (pain receptors) discharge electrical impulses to the spinal cord and brain. These fire impulses outward, telling the muscles and body to react. These can be measured." Same article. Unless you've got evidence otherwise?
parts of the upper and lower extremities are sensitive to touch. By 13 1/2 to 14 weeks, the entire body surface, except for the back and the top of the head, are sensitive to pain."

Sounds like it's very particular.

Can I just ask for a more updated source on this? I'm curious as to see if this is actually agreed upon by the medical community.

Edit: Maybe you meant scientifically unsound if the Big Bang was stated as the actual origin. I guess I have no problem with that, but it doesn't state it as the origin of the entire universe (or universes; whatever).

I was referring to the theory that the Big Bang was preceded by the universe existing as a singularity, so yes, sort of.

Can I just ask for a more updated source on this? I'm curious as to see if this is actually agreed upon by the medical community.

Will you forgive me if I get back to you on this? Sorry, I'm just tired and my computer's starting to act up. :)

But, ya know, not all of the sources used in that article were old...

Edit: By the way, I had looked up other sources for this subject, but each that explained the earlier "pain mark" were pro-life sources, which apparently you guys don't like for me to use :\. The one I cited was the least obvious.

Last edited:

Aggron459

Aron Is Beast
[img139]http://knowyourmeme.com/system/icons/206/original/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster.jpg?1241373617[/img139]

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage?

Ok, I dont know if this is a joke or not, but if you truely believe that a flying delicious meal is our God, I feel sorry for you. If I was Atheist (which I'm not), I wouldnt even follow that religion, I'd just stay an atheist.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
jesusfreak said:
I was referring to the theory that the Big Bang was preceded by the universe existing as a singularity, so yes, sort of.
Okay.. and I still wonder how that's unscientifically sound.

GetOutOfBox

Original Series Fan
The M-Theory also discusses multiple dimensions, which, like God, is something that exists beyond our world and is purely a faith based assumption.

Because something is hard for you to conceive does not make it impossible. I suggest you actually read the article, as the M-Theory is not one of those "crazy theories"
:rolleyes: Wow, there are so many things wrong with this.

-You cited Wikipedia for your last two links, and you're complaining about my source?
Wikipedia's main goal is to be a neutral encyclopedia, without bias. Pages must be neutral, have sources to widely accepted sources and be of appropriate writing style of an encyclopedia. Yes, there are some articles, especially vague ones, that do not meet these criteria. This article is not one of them. The section I linked to has sources to respectable material.

What disgusts me is that you had that you had the audacity to vandalize the Wikipedia page to say "Fetuses ARE capable of feeling pain." Don't claim you didn't, as that would be an insult to my intelligence. You'll be happy to know I reverted it. Your actions do not contribute to your argument and simply give me the ability to claim that your methods are the same as all Christians, which I luckily for your case will not.

-There are really only two different sides an article could be on in this debate: Pro-Life or Pro-Choice. A Pro-Choice article would have done nothing to help my argument, so I used the one that would.

-Does bias honestly change scientific fact?

The website neither cites sources nor appears credible. So yes, I would say in this case bias affected it's sway on my opinion.

Last edited:

Sabonea_Masukippa

Ok, I dont know if this is a joke or not, but if you truely believe that a flying delicious meal is our God, I feel sorry for you. If I was Atheist (which I'm not), I wouldnt even follow that religion, I'd just stay an atheist.

That's ok brother. We, as Flying-Spaghetti-Monsterorians, have always known that we would be mocked and persecuted for our beliefs. But we have felt the love through being touched by his noodle-y appendage and if you just opened your heart, you would feel it to.

GetOutOfBox

Original Series Fan
That's ok brother. We, as Flying-Spaghetti-Monsterorians, have always known that we would be mocked and persecuted for our beliefs. But we have felt the love through being touched by his noodle-y appendage and if you just opened your heart, you would feel it to.

Yes, join us Aggron459, allow the Flying Spaghetti Monster to reach into your heart with his noodly appendage, and you shall feel fulfilled. He is the true god, and he has the bigger balls than any other god.

Hamishmash

"Just... stuff."
APOLOGIES FOR TYPOS. I'M TIRED.

I'm a big supporter of Richard Dawnkins in general and have read two of his books so clearly I'm an atheist. I always find it weird when religious people seem to claim values such as "love" and "forgiveness" as being solely religious, when just because those values are there in religion doesn't mean that without religion, you are without those values.

The problem with basing your culture off religion is that things would change as our world does. If the Bible, for example in a purely hypothetical scenario, forbad the use of wind or sunlight to get our power, then a society based totally off religion wouldn't find any greener energy resources. In a more practical example, the fact that many Christians believe gay marriage is wrong is an argument against it. There's no science behind that, no actual evidence to suggest it would somehow harm society, but because Christians say it is wrong, then that is an argument, even though the believe that homosexuality is in some way a fault or something to be scared of is very outdated.

We now (hopefully) know that gay people are just normal people who were born that way and cannot help it, and ALL impartial scientific study supports this. However because we live in a culture where religion is still (and in my opinion unfortunately) very much controlling of government, this research means squat.

As for the Flying Spaghetti Monster... the whole POINT of it is how ridiculous it is. Why do people still not believe in the Ancient Egyptian religion? It lasted far longer than Christianity has without people doubting it, and it's really no madder than anything in the Bible. So why is Christianity or Islam or any of the modern religions really any more truthful than the ancient ones? Why is a Flying Spaghetti Monsters REALLY, HONESTLY more mad than any other theory for God?

scizor42

Back from break
So, why do some people have such a profound hate for religion? I really don't understand it. It helps out culture in many ways, and hurts little. Let's take a look.

The big pros of it are that it instills morals and goodwill and provides mental security/piece of mind, and what exactly are the cons? I often hear the argument that "It's holding us back!" which isn't true at all. I'm a Christian and I'd love to know what is smaller than a Quark and I'd love to colonize on far away planets. That doesn't mean we should stop looking for the secret behind out creation either, we'll never know for sure until we look. Another argument is that it promotes hostility towards other religions, which is a misguided myth. In Christianity, God and Jesus would look at "sinners" (followers of the a different faith or gays) with forgiveness and ideally their followers should too. So faiths have no trouble coexisting in this religion based society.

So tell me, why?

Religion does not instill morals on us. When was the last time you heard of an Atheist extremist?

Religion does hold us back. One of the most Christian countries in the world, the united states, has a huge creationist movement that essentialy says evolution is wrong, and that god created everything the way it is today.

Religion does promote hostility to those of different beliefs. I used to live in south carolina (in the USA) as an atheist for about 6 years. WORST 6 YEARS OF MY LIFE. Dawkins and other Atheist leaders frequently get threatening letters from Christians. And what do you call the crusades? And the six day war?

To say that this is only the extremly religious people may be true, but how many people are extremly religious? at least in the USA, alot of people.
furthermore the less religious people make the extreme religious people not so extreme. meaning that now there are more of them.

Ok, I had to respond to this.

Because something is hard for you to conceive does not make it impossible. I suggest you actually read the article, as the M-Theory is not one of those "crazy theories"

I read the article alright. I never said it was crazy, it actually intrigues me. And that first sentence could apply to you to.

Wikipedia's main goal is to be a neutral encyclopedia, without bias. Pages must be neutral, have sources to widely accepted sources and be of appropriate writing style of an encyclopedia. Yes, there are some articles, especially vague ones, that do not meet these criteria. This article is not one of them. The section I linked to has sources to respectable material.

Wikipedia is editable and unreliable, as you are obviously aware by your next paragraph.

What disgusts me is that you had that you had the audacity to edit the Wikipedia page to say "Fetuses ARE capable of feeling pain." Don't claim you didn't, as that would be an insult to my intelligence. You'll be happy to know I reverted it. Your actions do not contribute to your argument and simply give me the ability to claim that your methods are the same as all Christians, which I luckily for your case will not.

EXCUSE ME?! Is this your game? You insult my character by suggesting that I would edit an article like that. Heck, I wouldn't even use Wikipedia if it had coincided with my argument. And honestly, if I had edited the article to make it look like I was right, don't you think I would have pointed that out to you earlier?

And on top of that, I don't even have an account on Wikipedia to edit stuff. But it looks like you've been doing some editing lately, as you just admitted. That makes you seem pretty guilty.

The website neither cites sources nor appears credible. So yes, I would say in this case bias affected it's sway on my opinion.

It cites sources after every couple of sentences. Seriously, read.

AzukanAsimbu

Petal Paladin
^ and also the salem witch trials, those didnt even have straight facts

GetOutOfBox

Original Series Fan
Ok, I had to respond to this.

I read the article alright. I never said it was crazy, it actually intrigues me. And that first sentence could apply to you to.

Hmm. Contradiction? And how does "In theoretical physics, M-theory is an extension of string theory in which 11 dimensions are identified" apply to me? I hope I'm more interesting than that.
EXCUSE ME?! Is this your game? You insult my character by suggesting that I would edit an article like that. Heck, I wouldn't even use Wikipedia if it had coincided with my argument. And honestly, if I had edited the article to make it look like I was right, don't you think I would have pointed that out to you earlier?

And on top of that, I don't even have an account on Wikipedia to edit stuff. But it looks like you've been doing some editing lately, as you just admitted. That makes you seem pretty guilty.

Are you actually claiming that minutes before you responded to my post someone else coincidentally vandalized the article (I cited) to support your opinion? In exactly the section I cited? Maybe there is such a thing as god then, and the tooth fairy as well. And yes, I am guilty of combating vandalism in the form of reverting an edit that said "Fetuses ARE capable of feeling pain." (/sarcasm).

It cites sources after every couple of sentences. Seriously, read.

In that section you linked to discussing fetal pain, it cites one source to a single essay written by a guy 31 years ago. I can even dispute the source itself rather than the fact that it's extremely outdated, as you can possess pain receptors but be incapable of feeling pain, if your brain hasn't developed enough to be capable of it.

Hmm. Contradiction? And how does "In theoretical physics, M-theory is an extension of string theory in which 11 dimensions are identified" apply to me? I hope I'm more interesting than that.

I said it was outside of our known world, not crazy. There's no contradiction. And lol, I meant the first line of your statement. XD

Are you actually claiming that minutes before you responded to my post someone else coincidentally vandalized the article (I cited) to support your opinion? In exactly the section I cited? Maybe there is such a thing as god then, and the tooth fairy as well. And yes, I am guilty of combating vandalism in the form of reverting an edit that said "Fetuses ARE capable of feeling pain." (/sarcasm).

Are you actually accusing me of such an act without a single shred of proof? Look, I don't have the time or energy to tell you what all is wrong with your accusation of me trying to edit an article that I would never use (after all, Rule #1 of citations: never cite Wikipedia), but I will say that for all we know, you could have changed the original text in the article. After all, I have more evidence here...

What disgusts me is that you had that you had the audacity to vandalize the Wikipedia page to say "Fetuses ARE capable of feeling pain." Don't claim you didn't, as that would be an insult to my intelligence. You'll be happy to know I reverted it. Your actions do not contribute to your argument and simply give me the ability to claim that your methods are the same as all Christians, which I luckily for your case will not.

...that you've been doing some editing than you have against me. So, HA!

Seriously, you really do have some nerve to resort to accusing someone of editing evidence. You're better than that.

Fused

Shun the nonbeliever
Yannapu, GhostAnime, Fused, GetOutOfBox: your bias is showing.

Is there a reason I was thrown in there? My latest post defended religion by explaining how early religions gave rise to extremely useful scientific practices, but I'm the biased one?

Religion does not instill morals on us. When was the last time you heard of an Atheist extremist?

That's contradictory: if religions do not instill some kind of moral code, then there wouldn't be anyone who takes that code to the extreme.

Religion does hold us back. One of the most Christian countries in the world, the united states, has a huge creationist movement that essentialy says evolution is wrong, and that god created everything the way it is today.

This is true, but of course, I don't think I have to remind anyone here about the Scopes Monkey Trial.

Religion does promote hostility to those of different beliefs. I used to live in south carolina (in the USA) as an atheist for about 6 years. WORST 6 YEARS OF MY LIFE. Dawkins and other Atheist leaders frequently get threatening letters from Christians. And what do you call the crusades? And the six day war?

They don't explicitly pormote hostility or violence, but then again, they aren't exactly open to other beliefs. But what it all comes down to is interpretation. That's why you have Christians who openly accept homosexuals and Muslims who hijack airplanes.

^ and also the salem witch trials, those didnt even have straight facts

After a while, those weren't even about religion. Sure, the accusers could use the religion card, but mostly those were driven by fear-mongering, power-thirst, hysteria and corruption of the government. Now I wanna read The Crucible again...

They had what they considered "proof". When something goes wrong everyone wabts to blame someone they just chose random people that they could say were witches.

A modern example: Pat Robertson has blamed basically everything on everyone who isn't a Christian. he and Jerry Falwell blamed 9/11 on Pagans, abortionists, feminists (apparently, women are less than), gays and lesbians, and the ACLU. He has also called Hinduism "demonic" and Islam "Satanic." He also believes that the Haitians suffered that massive earthquake for making a pact with the devil in order to get revenge on their French slave owners (apparently, disliking slavery is also Satanic). Of course, he's just one example.

But he's a pretty damn good one.

Vermehlo_Steele

Grand Arbiter II
cons
slavery
war
cUlts
and being blinded from the truth
Moar ignorance, OK then.

Slavery: The atheist nations of the USSR, PRC and Nazi Germany used slavery from time to time. The Belomar Canal in Russia, for a quick example, was constructed using slaves. The slaves here in question were prisoners who numbered in the millions, but slaves they were.

War: Nazi Germany kicked of the largest war in human history (in terms of pure body count), the USSR forces condemned 2million German and east European women to rape when the Red Army 'liberated' east Europe.

Cults/Enforced Ignorance: I'm sure that the USSR, Nazi Germany, PRC and other nations that were anti-religious for whatever reason were all bastions of enlightenment now, weren't they?

Now, I use these countries as they were all anti-religious, atheism was part of their doctrine. It just goes to show, despite what some people believe, that religion has no monopoly on evil.

Why is a Flying Spaghetti Monsters REALLY, HONESTLY more mad than any other theory for God?
The phrase "more mad than any other theory for God?" is purely one of perspective. For why the FSM is more mad a theory, maybe it's because the FSM is a trolling exercise, not a religion. As for why ancient faiths die out, it's because as new religions emerged, people generally converted to them. Christianity's and Islam's combined number of adherents total 58% of the world's population, that number didn't just pop out of nowhere.

Thanks to religion, we had the Dark Ages. You know, when it was against the law to even be a scientist or do anything scientific and you were executed for being a heretic?

We would be so much more advanced if the Dark Ages never occurred.
Do it, prove all the points you laid out. I dare you.

Last edited:

houndourm

a-a-a-awesome
Is there a reason I was thrown in there? My latest post defended religion by explaining how early religions gave rise to extremely useful scientific practices, but I'm the biased one?

That's contradictory: if religions do not instill some kind of moral code, then there wouldn't be anyone who takes that code to the extreme.

This is true, but of course, I don't think I have to remind anyone here about the Scopes Monkey Trial.

They don't explicitly pormote hostility or violence, but then again, they aren't exactly open to other beliefs. But what it all comes down to is interpretation. That's why you have Christians who openly accept homosexuals and Muslims who hijack airplanes.

After a while, those weren't even about religion. Sure, the accusers could use the religion card, but mostly those were driven by fear-mongering, power-thirst, hysteria and corruption of the government. Now I wanna read The Crucible again...

A modern example: Pat Robertson has blamed basically everything on everyone who isn't a Christian. he and Jerry Falwell blamed 9/11 on Pagans, abortionists, feminists (apparently, women are less than), gays and lesbians, and the ACLU. He has also called Hinduism "demonic" and Islam "Satanic." He also believes that the Haitians suffered that massive earthquake for making a pact with the devil in order to get revenge on their French slave owners (apparently, disliking slavery is also Satanic). Of course, he's just one example.

But he's a pretty damn good one.
I cansomewhat see why he would blame pagans but why would femminists, abortionists gays and lesbians be responsible?!
It seems like he just wanted to make people fear them, by pulling on a still healing wound. And satanism is the pursuit of knowledge originally (I might be confusing ny facts) but I thought satanism was the pursuit of knowledge and they were demonized. (Sorry if I'm confusing facts)

Sabonea_Masukippa

Nazi Germany...Nazi Germany

Hitler was a demonstrable Catholic, so was much of Germany and the SS at the time of the war.

I'm sure that the USSR, Nazi Germany, PRC and other nations that were anti-religious for whatever reason were all bastions of enlightenment now, weren't they?

Yes, they corrupted Marxism for political gain and human exploitation. Their doctrine was not religious but it still sucked.
For why the FSM is more mad a theory, maybe it's because the FSM is a trolling exercise, not a religion.

How offensive and patronizing to honest, enlightened believers of a peaceful religion.

As for why ancient faiths die out, it's because as new religions emerged, people generally converted to them. Christianity's and Islam's combined number of adherents total 58% of the world's population, that number didn't just pop out of nowhere.

58% of people can be wrong. The ancients were wrong about Ra, Thor, Zeus, and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.