• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Explain to me the cons of basing our culture off religion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzukanAsimbu

Petal Paladin
So, why do some people have such a profound hate for religion? I really don't understand it. It helps out culture in many ways, and hurts little. Let's take a look.

The big pros of it are that it instills morals and goodwill and provides mental security/piece of mind, and what exactly are the cons? I often hear the argument that "It's holding us back!" which isn't true at all. I'm a Christian and I'd love to know what is smaller than a Quark and I'd love to colonize on far away planets. That doesn't mean we should stop looking for the secret behind out creation either, we'll never know for sure until we look. Another argument is that it promotes hostility towards other religions, which is a misguided myth. In Christianity, God and Jesus would look at "sinners" (followers of the a different faith or gays) with forgiveness and ideally their followers should too. So faiths have no trouble coexisting in this religion based society.

So tell me, why?

There are more religions than Christianity you know, and even Buddhists and Hindus did not get along. Not all atheists hate religion, im atheist and i think Buddhism, Wiccanism, Paganism are awesome.

Another argument is that it promotes hostility towards other religions, which is a misguided myth.

this also is not true, as not all religous members are accepting and friendly toward people with other faiths. Its a misconception that all Christians are nice and friendly, because they have harrassed, injured, and murdered people of different belief systems (not always other religions)

And also, if God and Jesus look upon "sinners" with forgiveness, why do "they" punish those who do not join "them" with eternal damnation

evolutionrex

The Awesome Atheist
My point was, in a world where nobody worshipped God or Gods, there would only be Pokemon based on fossils and animals. Even a lot of the Pokemon based on animals are still mythical figures. (Torterra; the world turtle, Infernape; Hanuman, Empoleon; Neptune.) There might not be Pokemon at all without the precedent of spirit worship and and the creativity that went into religions before that. Wouldn't that be tragic?
oh, yes becuase Pokemon is the most important thing in the world.

I never said that religion should have never been invented, i actually think it was a good thing. What i'm saying is that we are at the stage a advance society that we should end religion. We could talk about it, study it, but believing it is, again in my opinion, inaccurate. I think the least society should do is open their mind and accept evolution, gay rights, the Big Bang Theory, etc.

Sabonea_Masukippa

I refuse to believe the big bang theory, it just doesn't make sense no matter what way you look at it.

Thankfully, the scientific method of inquiry ignores what you choose to find nonsensical.

To put it another way; even if the Big Bang Theory was proven wrong tomorrow - it still wouldn't necessarily make an all-powerful creator deity any more likely.

minkachan

Verbal *** Kicking
I refuse to belive the big bang theory, it just doesn't make sence no matter the way you look at it.

If we are going to set the standards of believability higher than scientific theory, then surely we will never have any idea as to what is going on in this universe.

Nothing is set in stone, and it's all theory, but some theories are more likely than others. That said, we have certain rights, including the right to any and all belief systems. So if you want to disregard Big Bang, I assume in favor of Intelligent Design, that's your right.

However, don't complain when a democratic(ish) government elects not to support funding for creationist research; a fundamental part of our society is the separation of church and state.

And as a bisexual, I'm just going to ignore all of the horse **** about homosexuality being akin to slavery.

Pristarin

Banned
I refuse to belive the big bang theory, it just doesn't make sence no matter the way you look at it.

Why does it not make sense to you? If you are a person of faith, why does your, or any supernatural explanation for the beginning of the universe make more sense than the big bang?

Jb

Tsun in the streets
Why does it not make sense to you? If you are a person of faith, why does your, or any supernatural explanation for the beginning of the universe make more sense than the big bang?

That could be said the other way around too.

But to awnser you question, that's probally the reason, because it's my faith.

But to be honest, even if I didn't belived in God, or anything "Higher up" for that matter, the Big Bang Theroy is just something I just cant belive, I really can't explain in words, nor am I saying it's wrong, but to me personally, added to other things iv'e experiance on life, just can't come to terms with.

But there is the popular "The big bang created, allah/God/ect. then they took it from there" which most border line people can come to terms with.

Pristarin

Banned
That could be said the other way around too.

How can it be switched around? To say that they can be switched around is making the claim any supernatural belief regarding the origins of the universe no matter which culture they came from is right on par with the big bang! I can understand how the big bang theory may come as non sensical to someone that doesn't understand the intricacies of the laws that govern us, but the fundamental difference between a natural explanation for the universe and not is that the former has evidence! Very simple evidence being, the universe is expanding.If something is expanding, it must have at one point been smaller. Hence, the universe was likely a singularity at one point in time. Or rather, before time! Ha!

Ofcourse there are other things that support the big bang theory like cosmic background radiation and the like, but those are much harder to explain without sounding like an annoying intellectual.

But oh religion. How can it possibly be bad for society? Basically, I view people as idiots with a select minority being rational and reasoned people. Now obviously this is already a recipe for disaster. Would you give an idiot a shotgun? Ofcourse not! He's an idiot. Is the shotgun evil? Not really. Religion, same thing.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
I used religion as a placeholder. Replace 'religion' with 'science' or something else that a majority of the human race can believe in, and you'll get the same results.

Not saying it's bad nor good, though.
I have to question this. I want to hear some specifics of what would happen. Science is different for the simple fact that anyone and everyone can experiment with it. Religion requires the trust of some authority figure and an ancient book.

If you wanted to prove someone wrong with science, you could. Easily, in fact.

Ghostie

Unidentified Ghost
I've been looking at everyone's posts after mine, and I'm glad that many of you like what I said. And, I have more to say now.
--Strategist is right, you really can't take anything that didn't come out of the mouth of Jesus AT FACE VALUE. BUT there are ways of looking up the correct meanings of things in the Bible. There is a reason that we still have all the books. A good way to do this is to remember that when the scribes translated the Bible, they were afraid of some of the things they found. My best example of this is the word "Elohim". This word basically means "Gods". The scribes came upon this word, and they didn't like it because they believed that there is only one God. This is true, but there were things in the Bible that were called God, but actually weren't God Almighty. It is those things that make it seem as if God is wrathful and jealous and vengeful. Any time you see the words "Lord God" in the bible, or just "Lord", it is most likely referring to ELOHIM and not God almighty. And if something is referred to in the Bible as God, and it is talking to someone, it can't be God because the Bible says God only spoke ONCE, and mountains crumbled.
--Strategist is also wrong. Jesus was not a man of peace. I don't know why people think this, because he said himself that he did not come to bring peace, but a sword. He meant that there is a SPIRITUAL WAR taking place, and all of us are too blind to see it. We're too worried about trivial matters of the flesh to see it.

I don't point my finger at anyone simply because I feel I have no right to do so. Jesus said that the best a person can do is STILL filthy rags before God. That's the BEST. What right do I have to point my finger at someone else if I'm no better than that? (And before you say 'see, God wants you to hate yourself!' it isn't true. The whole point is that we are all human, we are all flesh, thus we are all imperfect. Jesus was trying to free us from THAT. And in my point of view, someday we will be.)

And another thing, it was mentioned that science is 'the truth'. In many cases, science has proven many things, and it has improved our society. But, some aspects of science are not 'the truth', and many of the theories of science are as much like a religion as anything else. Take the 'big bang' theory for example. This is something that can never be proven one way or another, yet it is still taught as fact in schools in many areas. It is as much a belief based on faith as any religion. I hate it when people say that scientific theories are proven fact. They are no more proven than my belief in creationism, thank you very much.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Ghostie said:
There is a reason that we still have all the books.
Of no significance. We have plenty of old books and stories. It's called passing on stuff.

And another thing, it was mentioned that science is 'the truth'. In many cases, science has proven many things, and it has improved our society. But, some aspects of science are not 'the truth', and many of the theories of science are as much like a religion as anything else. Take the 'big bang' theory for example. This is something that can never be proven one way or another, yet it is still taught as fact in schools in many areas. It is as much a belief based on faith as any religion. I hate it when people say that scientific theories are proven fact. They are no more proven than my belief in creationism, thank you very much.
I'm going to be nice. Please learn what the actual big bang is before criticizing it. I bet you can't even list the evidence and facts that it entails.

Second of all, list me some of these 'science' things that you say weren't truth. Your misconception of science is laughable. It is a process; not a truth unlike what creationism tends to be.

Fused

Shun the nonbeliever
Take the 'big bang' theory for example. This is something that can never be proven one way or another, yet it is still taught as fact in schools in many areas. It is as much a belief based on faith as any religion. I hate it when people say that scientific theories are proven fact. They are no more proven than my belief in creationism, thank you very much.

Scientific theories are not proven fact, but they can be logically explained with other proven facts. This would explain why it is denoted as a theory and why it is taught in school, and why it is not a simple belief, comparable to creationism, which cannot be logically explained with proven facts.

Unpredictable-Strategist

Unorthodox Trainer

It's like my friend always says: Scientific theories are theories because they can't be proven (but may be logically sound), otherwise they would be called laws (law of gravity, etc.).

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
It's like my friend always says: Scientific theories are theories because they can't be proven (but may be logically sound), otherwise they would be called laws (law of gravity, etc.).
Gravity is a theory too, ya know.

Grei

not the color
It's not the religion, it's the people.....

While I agree that misguided religious folk can't blame their religion for being misguided and causing problems, it's untrue to say that "it's not the religion." Every religion has its flaws, some moreso than others.

Such as casting fear in the hearts of the masses for the purposes of garnering followers. I would classify that as a flaw, because that promotes blind followers to a religion, who then either just remain ignorant or take it a few steps further and condemn others for not agreeing with their blind faith.

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
To supplement Grei's point, there are inversely many people who make up for some of the problems of their religion by exercising their own beliefs separate from their religion and thinking outside the book when it matters. Sometimes it is the people who are actually better than their religion, which can make it hard to criticize their religion, when there's a virtuous person behind it, and the virtuous person.

Status
Not open for further replies.