• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Extra-Terrestrial Life : Are we Alone?

Vernikova

Champion
How could they have survived on Earth? They would've had to evolve on a planet virtually identical.

The same way astronauts survived on the moon.

And the nearest star is so far away it takes light millions of years to get there. And you can't go faster than light. So how did they get here?

A sufficiently advanced society might've thought of a way. There's been a variety of ways that scientists have thought of to bypass the speed of light limit. Of course, we're not advanced enough to see if any of these could actually work in practice.

And even if these things were explained, the question remains: If aliens influenced our past, why haven't they come back? If they visited us in the past, why aren't we hearing from them now?

Who knows? It could be for a variety of reasons. Not that I support the ancient alien theory or anything. I was simply answering the questions as a devil's advocate.

As for me, I believe that there is intelligent life out in space. It would be naive for me to think otherwise.

Mr.Pokeman

Life may have been created on another planet, but I highly doubt it.

Zevn

Lost in Translation
Life may have been created on another planet, but I highly doubt it.

Oh man, that really tickles me. You're just choc full of baseless ideas.

Mr.Pokeman

Oh man, that really tickles me. You're just choc full of baseless ideas.

Haha. And your nonsensical claims are better?

Zevn

Lost in Translation
Haha. And your nonsensical claims are better?

It's okay, I understand why it would seem like nonsense to someone like you.

Our current estimate for the number of galaxies is around five hundred billion. That's:

~500,000,000,000 galaxies(for the sake of the example let's say they're all the same size as the milky way galaxy)
~400,000,000,000 stars

Our sun is 1 star.

Maybe now you can begin to comprehend the astronomical(hehe) hubris of your pressumption.

Mr.Pokeman

It's okay, I understand why it would seem like nonsense to someone like you.

Our current estimate for the number of galaxies is around five hundred billion. That's:

~500,000,000,000 galaxies(for the sake of the example let's say they're all the same size as the milky way galaxy)
~400,000,000,000 stars

Our sun is 1 star.

Maybe now you can begin to comprehend the astronomical(hehe) hubris of your pressumption.

LOL. I know the universe is large. What's your point? Was it only to make baseless insults?

I find it very amusing that you somehow think I'm unintelligent simply because I'm pro-life and Christian.

I think being Christian and pro-life are actually the superior intellectual choices.

Last edited:

ebilly99

Americanreigon champ
LOL. I know the universe is large. What's your point? Was it only to make baseless insults?

I find it very amusing that you somehow think I'm unintelligent simply because I'm pro-life and Christian.

I think being Christian and pro-life are actually the superior intellectual choices.

The Universe is large, We have found earth like planets, and we have seen signs of water on other planets and moons right here in our solar system. Does it not seem odd that even if there is a god he would have all these other planets just for looks. Evolution created us as we are (guided or not) and to think for a second we are special is absurd.

Of course you do, Its easy to believe a book then to find stuff out for yourself

Zevn

Lost in Translation
I look up at the night sky and see wondrous mysteries, the multitude of which I cannot discover in this lifetime. I see light from stars that died eons ago, and wonder what kind of beings saw those lights when they were new, how their civilizations rose and inevitably fell.

Your doctrine closes the book on the magnificence of the Universe, with shallow metaphors only barely suited to the time they were written.

Mr.Pokeman

Of course you do, Its easy to believe a book then to find stuff out for yourself

I do find things out for myself. I don't just blindly believe anything; I look at all the evidence, and then decide.

Your doctrine closes the book on the magnificence of the Universe, with shallow metaphors only barely suited to the time they were written.

Really? I find the biblical view of the universe much more fascinating than the atheistic view.

Osha!

Osha!
Most tribes and cultural beliefs are based upon aliens. Egyptian legends say that their gods came from the skies; these could be aliens that they saw land.

Many African tribes also elongate their skulls, and most people believe it was a sign of copying the aliens. Around Africa as well, there are quite a lot of traditions that go on. These could be humans imitating the appearance of aliens, don't get me wrong, quite a few humans copy what they see others do. So if thousands of years ago they knew hardly nothing and they see these creatures land upon Earth, they're obviously going to try and imitate them some way.

Same thing with the American Indian totem poles. They think aliens exist, and sometimes they try to summon the aliens and gods with a long dance.

The Dragon Queen

I definitely think there's life somewhere out there. Whether it's intelligent life like us, I don't know. But I know for sure we're not alone. The universe is huge, bigger than we can possibly imagine. If there wasn't any life out there, it would just be a waste of space.

Firebrand

Indomitable
Like Zven's point some posts up, our planet is one single point in a universe we believe to be infinite. Even the known universe is massive to the point where it defies comprehension. So, the odds that this single, relatively small planet is the only one that has ever had any life ever at any point in the universe's existence is so astronomically small, it's ridiculous. Now, I know much of the universe is empty, dead space, and many planets are inhospitable to life. However, there are many planets capable of sustaining life, and perhaps even moons. When you add the latter in, the possibilities of life become ever higher.

So. I think it's more illogical to think there isn't life out there than there is.

Ludwig

Like Zven's point some posts up, our planet is one single point in a universe we believe to be infinite. Even the known universe is massive to the point where it defies comprehension. So, the odds that this single, relatively small planet is the only one that has ever had any life ever at any point in the universe's existence is so astronomically small, it's ridiculous. Now, I know much of the universe is empty, dead space, and many planets are inhospitable to life. However, there are many planets capable of sustaining life, and perhaps even moons. When you add the latter in, the possibilities of life become ever higher.

So. I think it's more illogical to think there isn't life out there than there is.

The Earth is infinitely many points.

Haymez

Rock Solid
The Earth is infinitely many points.

If you want to be anal about the math.

>The nearest star is millions of light years away

Actually, the nearest star is Alpha Centauri no more than five light years away. In fact, there are millions of stars within a million light years from us. We're in a galaxy, you don't have to go far to run in to something.

As for extraterrestrial life, I believe it exists. Think about it, even if we happened on some extremely unlikely fluke, given the magnitude of the universe it is almost guaranteed that there is other intelligent life.

I believe that somewhere out there there are planets with life, some may be less developed than us, and some may be more developed than us.

The universe is so big, with billions of galaxies with billions of stars in them that there HAS to be somewhere where life also exists, I don't believe that we are alone.

I also believe billions of years ago, that there was life on Mars, (and Possibly Venus as we know that it wasn't always superheated like it is now.) I believe that there was some form of life, plants animals maybe. If there was sentient life, I believe they either died out as the climate changed, or that they managed to find somewhere else to live.

Exactly. We have no clue how large the universe is, and scientists think its expanding. But if it is expanding, what is it expanding into? We are as little as the electrons in a hydrogen atom compared to a galexy. I am one of those people who DO beleive in extra terrestrial creatures-no matter how colossel or minuscule. If we don't know how far the universe goes out, how do we know nothing exists?
.............I officially beleive~
......................Missingno&Cubone

Maybe if it's just micro-organisms, otherwise no. It would be pretty awesome if the universe was Super Mario Galaxy style though ;)
Oh, I'm quite sure micro organisms exist some where, after all, the universe is ever expanding. But expanding into what?

Haymez

Rock Solid
>Missingno&cubone

We don't really know what the universe is expanding into for sure, but the consensus is just plain old empty space. It can't be any different than what we have here in our vicinity, otherwise the rate of expansion would be affected drastically.

Contrary to popular belief, the universe is not infinite and not all there is. There are likely an infinite number of other universes spread throughout space-time. We just can't see them.

>Missingno&cubone

We don't really know what the universe is expanding into for sure, but the consensus is just plain old empty space. It can't be any different than what we have here in our vicinity, otherwise the rate of expansion would be affected drastically.

Contrary to popular belief, the universe is not infinite and not all there is. There are likely an infinite number of other universes spread throughout space-time. We just can't see them.

That is what I want to tell those scientists! They are ******.

Haymez

Rock Solid
That is what I want to tell those scientists! They are ******.

Scientists have more on their minds, such as making a living. They can't support an argument for this theory with evidenc, and so can't get grant money for it. Therefore they can't support it because it will get them nowhere. They focus on other things that they can get support for.

Lanik

So far, NASA has only explored the entire solar system. They have yet to learn about the galaxy as a whole. If there is otherworldly life, mankind will be ready to meet them. But that won't happen anytime soon, because spacecraft can't travel at the speed of light.