• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Extraterrestrial Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerulean21

Time Traveller
I agree to what I've read on this thread so far. We don't know it for cetrain though but hell, what do we know for certain? As for about 200 years ago we were certain that the atom is the smallest particle there is and then it was split up and that whole crap came out of it. It's very unlikely (not impossible though) that Earth is the only planet that hosts living creatures.
You also have to, however, discuss how you define life as such. There are organisms on this planet (a species of bacteria called escherichia) that does not "breathe" oxygen but Sulfur. If you abandon the idea of "life how we know it" then the chances of other life existing out there increases even more. There may even be creatures that can live in temperatures of about 4 K, which seems impossible to us but that doesn't mean that it is.
There's another thing that could make a big significence: conscioussness. There may be things out there who do not "live" in the way the term "living" is defiened but may be consciouss as well as we don't know if cells and bacteria are consciouss whist we can't deny that they're alive.

By the way, the formula of how many planets there are that contain "human" life (only for our Galaxy, the milky way):

N = Rs * fp * np * fl * fi * Lz

Rs being the rate of stars built in our galaxy, fp is the percentage of stars with a planet system as the sun and np the percentage of those planets who can be inhabited. fl is the part of those planets who actually are inhabited, fi is the percentage of those affromentioned who contain intelligent life and Lz is the time period in which such a form of life can exist.
We guess that the milky way galaxy consists out of 4*10^11 Stars and the rate of stars built a year 10 this means that Rs = 10 stars/year. Now let's make it theorethical:
Let's say, 1% of the stars have a planet system (fp = 0.01) of which another 1% has a planet that could host life (np = 0.01). If we assume that all those planets do indeed contain life then fl = 1. Now we assume that the evolution of intelligent life has taken 4.5 billion years on the Earth (ever since it appeared) and further assume that 0.01% of those "lives" have developed intelligence making fi = 0.0001. So this results in:

N= 10 * 0.01 * 0.01 * 1 * 0.0001 * Lz = 0.00000001 * Lz

Now we have to guess a time period for developing intelligent civilisations, so we take about 2 billion years assuming that 2.5 billion years after the "creation" of the Earth that showed up, which means Lz=2500000000 which results in

N = 250

To bring it down to a point: 250 out of 400.000.000.000 stars in this galaxy have a planet with creatures on it, that could have made that very same calculation just now.

This means the odds for planets containing life are much bigger than that, especially if you consider that there are several million galaxies in our universe and nobody knows how many universes there are

Last edited:

ironknight42

An excellent point I didn't know there was an equation for that think of creature's that live at the bottom of the ocean under tremenous preasure and frigid temperature's which life could not normally live in and bacteria living by geothermal vents under extream heat widen you perspective like Cerulean and it is suddenly that much more likely.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
The reason aliens haven't said hello?If they were able to move the univerese itself why would they be instrested in sludge guzzzlers?

leaderfraser

Snakes are cool!
I reckon there is life somewhere, they wouldn't look like little green men though, thats just stupid.

Tatortot

Yessssss, master!
I think that since there are millions of billions of stars out there, and a lot of them have planets orbiting around them, then the chances of there being at least one planet in one of those solar systems will probably be just the right distance away from the sun to support life. If you think about that, then you realize there are hundreds, maybe even thousands of potential planets that can house life.

Ethan

Banned
If a form of virus was found on a distant planet would it be considered life? As far as I know scientists don't classify viruses as living becuase of their inability to reproduce on their own. So how life like does an organism have to be to be considered living?

Nny

Yeah, about that...
When had this drawing been taken?
I am not sure, I only found this pic. I am sure if you were to take a sample and analyze it, it would be show that this is over 100 years old. Also, I don't see any signs of Katakana so I am sure it was before Americans came and forced to trade. D: Other than that, I really don't know.

Cerulean21

Time Traveller
There is life out there but it's scientifically impossible for them to interact with us.

Just because WE cannot do it doesn't mean it is impossible, if you consider how little we actually know. With the adequate speed you could make time run slower for you (please don't make me explain it, read Einsteins theories, that should confuse you as much as it did confuse me;)), so you could travel long distances in short time, without getting much older (though the guys on your planet would probably get old). You'd have to be faster than light I think but who says light speed is the fastest? Humans say that but what the hell do we know? Nothing. A quote says: True wisom is when you know that you know nothing

Stone_Cutter

Just because WE cannot do it doesn't mean it is impossible, if you consider how little we actually know. With the adequate speed you could make time run slower for you (please don't make me explain it, read Einsteins theories, that should confuse you as much as it did confuse me;)), so you could travel long distances in short time, without getting much older (though the guys on your planet would probably get old). You'd have to be faster than light I think but who says light speed is the fastest? Humans say that but what the hell do we know? Nothing. A quote says: True wisom is when you know that you know nothing

I think you need to review Einstein's theories. the speed of light is the speed limit of the universe. Nothing can travel faster. And you wouldn't have to go faster than the speed of light for time to go slower for you... as soon as you reach the speed of light you age 0 seconds. If an object were to travel at the speed of light from point A to point B, the trip is instantanious; it ages 0 seconds while traveling from point A to point B. If extraterrestrial life can travel at the speed of light (which is impossible anyways, due to relativistic effects) or near it, by the time they get here, Earth probably won't exist. Our galaxy is 100,000 light years across. If they travel from somewhere... say... 50,000 light years, then yes, they would age very slowly during the trip, but the Earth and wherever they're from would age 50,000 years. I doubt they would leave their planet for 50,000 years... and the Earth would most likely be very different when they finally get here. And that's just in OUR galaxy!

Cerulean21

Time Traveller
Einstein said that light speed is the speed limit of the universe but what did Einstein know? This is just a theory which simply cannot be proven due to the lack of knowing everything. We think that not even light can escape a black hole. It has massive influences in Spacetime ad what do we know of it? Nothing. What will we learn about it in the future? probably nothing. If something could bend Spacetime like a black hole or similarly like it then it could very well be possible to travel such distances of 50.000 light years within seconds. Human scientist don't know much and they never will as our intelligence doesn't reach the highest level possible. But speaking of that, Speed of thought is very high and it's very well possible that there are much faster things like that, even faster than light. Light Speed is the fastest *we* know but about 100 years ago or so, *we* knew that the Atom was the smallest particle of all untill it got split up. So do you really think that there isn't ven the smallest chance that Einstein was completely wrong about that matter? I think even Einstein himself would have admitted that he could be entirely wrong, then after all, he called it a "theory", which means that one thinks that it could be or probably is that way

Stone_Cutter

Einstein said that light speed is the speed limit of the universe but what did Einstein know? This is just a theory which simply cannot be proven due to the lack of knowing everything.

It has been tested and concluded in thousands of experiments that the speed of light is c, and constant. That's what Einstein based his theories on; that's how he was able to conclude that time is relative. It was believed before that time was constant. But since he found out that light is constant, something else had to change (time). You actually think someone would just make up groundless theories and become the person of the century and a Nobel Prize winner?

We think that not even light can escape a black hole. It has massive influences in Spacetime ad what do we know of it? Nothing. What will we learn about it in the future? probably nothing. If something could bend Spacetime like a black hole or similarly like it then it could very well be possible to travel such distances of 50.000 light years within seconds.

All matter curves spacetime, not just black holes. I think what you're talking about are wormholes which, as you said, could make it possible to travel 50,000 years. This is probably the only possibility of traveling vast distances within a small amount of time, but we don't know if wormholes actually exist, or how they really work.

We think that not even light can escape a black hole.

We think that even light can not escape a black hole*, due to the strong gravitational pull.

he called it a "theory", which means that one thinks that it could be or probably is that way

It was a theory back then, but it's not really considered a theory anymore, as it has been proven numerous times. Most people just call it "General Relativity/Special Relativity" now, rather than "Theory of Special/General Relativity."

Last edited:

Stone_Cutter

I'm just saying that even though there is life out there, we won't know about it and they won't know about us; the only discovery of extraterrestrial life we should worry about is what might exist under Europa, one of Jupiter's moons.

Misty Lover

I have heard many arguments for both sides, and my opinion is that I don't know. Not because I was too lazy to learn about the reasons or because I was too stupid to make up my mind, but just because I'm smart enough to realize that I don't know if life exists out there. There is no reason why it necessarily couldn't, yet there is a very small probability for each planet, but a large amount of planets. Because I don't know the probability of life forming on a given planet, I can't make an educated decision either way.

evolutions

Misty Lover said:
There is no reason why it necessarily couldn't, yet there is a very small probability for each planet, but a large amount of planets. Because I don't know the probability of life forming on a given planet, I can't make an educated decision either way.

Yeah that pretty much sums up my stance on this, we just don't know enough to make any significant argument on this. Of course there's always the possibility this is a simulated reality...which would ironically confirm there really is life out there.

I believe in alien life. The chance that we are alone is almost 0. I think the universe is filled with life.

Status
Not open for further replies.