• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Extraterrestrial Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

CosmosSage

I think the most logical answer is that I don't know. There are so many factors that have to be taken into account when attempting to calculate the existence of intelligent life that we, having access to only one planet with intelligent life, do not know at all. For example, one of the factors outlined in the Drake equation is the lifetime of a technical civilization. We have virtually no way of knowing this- do technical civilizations last only a few decades before destroying themselves, or do they, on the whole, exist continuously after entering a technical stage? That difference could easily determine whether we are alone in the galaxy (and even the universe) or whether the universe is filled with life.

That being said, I find it extremely likely that there is intelligent life in the universe. There are at least 200,000,000,000 stars in the Milky Way, and billions of galaxies like ours are believed to exist. It seems likely that protoplanetary disks, and therefore eventually planets, will or will have formed on a great deal of them, but even if they only form on, say, one-third of stars, there will still be quintillions of stars in the universe, billions in the galaxy, that would have planets. Although virtually all of these planets would probably be unsuitable for human life, life of other biochemistries would most likely be able to evolve. For example, it's unlikely that, if life evolved on Mercury, it would be based around amino acids, as the heat of the sun and rapid temperature changes would destroy them.

Essentially, my point of view is that, while life exactly like us is, I think, unlikely to exist, I find it extremely likely that intelligent life in some form (most likely very different from us) exists. (By different, I mean different biochemistries, completely different from anything that could exist on Earth, rather than "green-skin, bug-eyed humanoid" different.)

phantom1113

Not a random nub
It would be a darn waste of space if there is not.
but if there was we wouldn't even reconize it Proberly

and didnt they find bacteries on mars?

EDIT: like a famous dutch comedian once said:
if there smarter then us they should come here
if there dumber then us I dont want nothing to do with them

Last edited:

vaerna

It is highly likely that life exists on other worlds in our galaxy and in others. It is highly unlikely that we'll encounter any intelligent life unless certain laws of physics are conquered or if radio waves somehow finally reach us. It is even likely that microbial life may exist on Europa and may still exist on Mars.

Riversong

Buggy down.
Most likely, but really, the human race probably wont survive to know anyways. It took us many, many years to get to where we are today, and we're still far from being perfect.

Humans know little, our minds can't comprehend everything there is to the universe. There are so many ideas, and endless thoughts. Yet in the end no one will ever know for sure. Humans have only been around for a minuscule amount in the grand scheme of things, we can't possibly know what there is to know. Time, space, all of these ideas come from humans alone, so we can't know 100% if that information is correct. What if there was other life that had completely different theories and ideas? Who's correct?

Maybe I'm babbling, but I had to get that off my mind.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I believe aliens within 1-300 ly could chat.But to travel vast space,they'd have to move the universe itself faster than light or wormhole

grounder

*sneezes*
I personally believe that there could be life out there, and no doubt it would be a very distracting thing to me to make guesswork on what that kind of life would be like. Even the whole concept of what space is makes me get into a Teeter-Dance frame of mind!

But of course, the existence of life shouldn't be the main focus of universe-based science. There's always black matter and black holes (why is everything so black these days?) that could reveal things just as, if not more, important than the discovery of other sentient willful life-forms in the universe.

sikorski

pokemon master
i think they may be just like us wondering the same things with there kids on debate forums"are humans real"

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I'm pretty sure there's pretty weird ones

Pokoton Returns

Lord Of Serpents
Aleins are real and very close to us. They are watching us and secretly contol our evey action. They will destroy us when become to powerful.

grapefruit

Blaaaargh...
They thnk they have found life on mars, and many moons in the solar system look able to support life (e.g: Europa, Titan).

RedJirachi

Veteran member
In the billions of stars in the billions of galaxies life must be out there,using wormholes

Mrmagius

~Deity of Valleity~
Well if you're one of those who believe the universe just goes on forever then its statistically impossible for there not to be life out there.

Lord Tsukasa

Fighting For The Tru
I've heard all kinds of things about ETs. Grays, "Royal Family are reptiles", etc.

I can buy Grays, but not Icke's stuff.

Last edited:

grounder

*sneezes*
Oh please... While I don't deny the existence of life out there, I think you're deluding yourself by listening to those people. The Royal Family as reptillian aliens? That's bordering the creativeness of Scientology.

ironknight42

OK...Reptilian Shapeshifters yeah you go get a picture or mabye some trustworthy sources and we will be shocked but it is statisticly probable that other life exists. I think we've established that other life exists now lets try to focus for on what kinds of life.

Death dealer

Pavane of Slaanesh
It would be a darn waste of space if there is not.
but if there was we wouldn't even reconize it Proberly

and didnt they find bacteries on mars?

EDIT: like a famous dutch comedian once said:
if there smarter then us they should come here
if there dumber then us I dont want nothing to do with them

I would think it would be completely the opposite actually. Most scientists on earth would jump at the opportunity to study life forms that evolved differently to those here on earth, but would be rather less keen if that life was there to study us.

Status
Not open for further replies.