• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Extraterrestrial Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Panda

恭喜發財
I am not happy with the way you say that a universe that has almost exactly the same natural laws as ours ie. it can be observed, but thta cannot produce life.
Obviously, for us to enter and observe it, it would have to have the natural laws to support life, but the kind of universe I mentioned above is not impossible in itself, or am I wrong?

-EDIT- I truly believe that the question is basically unanswerable by it's very nature, our limited understandings not being able to outright deny such a universe at all.

Yes, that question is unanswerable. But I thought we talking about our own universe here though not going into another. The point of the anthropic principle applied to our universe is that the natural laws of this universe are more than capable of supporting intelligent life (which is obvious anyway).

Clash

He's Back!
How the hell do you know if there is another planet that can support life? Oh I forgot, you're part of a NASA crew! Super Mario Galaxy was enough of an intergalactic experience for my lifetime anyway.

Hero

OOHH YEE YOU WANT ME
This all boils down to humanity hoping and wishing it is the most intelligent being in the Universe. Take Gliese 581 c. Out of 220 known planets we have discovered outisde of our solar system, it is the only one we have discovered in the habitable temperature zone, making it a strong candidate for life. Consider that 2 in 228 planets we know are (potentially) habitable (including our own), and consider that there are without question hundreds of millions more planets in our universe, the odds don't seem so ludicrously stacked against extra terrestrial life, surely.

Ugobama

I think it's naive to think we are the only life forms in the whole cosmos. Simply because...the cosmos is gigantic...and Earth is just one little bitty planet with just the right living conditions. Come on, people...There's bound to be planets that have suitable living conditions besides Earth.

Leon Phelps

Don't Tread on Me
Do you believe in other life; why or why not?
Um, why not? It's inexcusably egocentric to suggest that there isn't any life beyond earth. Our solar system is just a grain of sand in the universe; and with our limited technological capabilities, to say with certainty that there isn't any life is currently beyond our comprehension.

Rusty

Woof
Most definitely. And I'm guessing this topic will be pretty one-sided, anyone who doesn't think theres other life out there needs to broaden their horizon a little.

I don't think there's life in our solar system, at least anymore. At one time there could have been life on Mars, but all the other planets could not support life.

It's hard to imagine the entire universe, millions (or even billions) of galaxies not have one single life form of any kind, even a single celled organism would be considered extraterrestrial.

Last edited:

Legend

I highly suspect that there's a LOT of life out there, and a good many species could be intelligent as well. However, we might not recognize it. Let's face it, we humans can't even agree on what's alive on THIS world (I'm looking at you, stupid viruses).

I doubt we'll meet anything to have lunch/war with for awhile though

Stone_Cutter

How the hell do you know if there is another planet that can support life? Oh I forgot, you're part of a NASA crew! Super Mario Galaxy was enough of an intergalactic experience for my lifetime anyway.

You actually think that Earth is the only planet in the Universe that can support life??? If so,

1, Learn about how big the universe is
2, Learn about how big the universe is
3, Learn about how big the universe is

This should help you get started in understanding how big the Universe really is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubble_Ultra_Deep_Field

The_Panda

恭喜發財
You actually think that Earth is the only planet in the Universe that can support life??? If so,

1, Learn about how big the universe is
2, Learn about how big the universe is
3, Learn about how big the universe is

This should help you get started in understanding how big the Universe really is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubble_Ultra_Deep_Field

Oh noez, WIKIPEDIA

The size of the universe only gives us a reason to suspect improbability. Just because of that fact doesn't mean we "know" the *must* be another planet out there.

Oh noez, WIKIPEDIA

The size of the universe only gives us a reason to suspect improbability. Just because of that fact doesn't mean we "know" the *must* be another planet out there.

What makes us so special?

Stone_Cutter

Oh noez, WIKIPEDIA

The point wasn't to look at a wikipedia page; the point was to look at one of the most important images ever taken, the image that enabled us to realize the size of the universe, the Hubble Deep Field.

Ok, what do you think are the actual chances of there being other intelligent life in the Universe? Give me some numbers

Legend

I'll answer for him. We can see 13 billion light years of universe as of now. There's probably more we can't see because the light hasn't even REACHED us yet. That's a HUGE number of cubic light years, far bigger than humanity's entire computer collection could simulate on a small scale.

In short, nearly 1.

honey_clover112

tsundere full force!
We can't really be sure of this, but probably yes. The Earth isn't the only heavenly body that He created. There are millions, no, billions of Planets, Systems, and Galaxies that we don't know of! So...probably, yeah. :]

It'll be really awesome if we can see extra-terrestrial beings. XD

;006;

Seth_X_of_Fortree

Torterra Firma
Ok, what do you think are the actual chances of there being other intelligent life in the Universe? Give me some numbers

Take the number of stars that form a year, multiply it by the number of stars that form a year that have planets around them, multiply that by the number that form planets that can sustain life, by the number that actually do sustain life, by the number that sustain multicellular life, by the number that are intelligent, by the number that develop radio communications. Then divide it all up.

Danbaru's

Steadfast. I do.
Not if ruled out by definition.

Not when it maintains that anything i.e. things falling up rather than down, is possible, just extremely unlikely (think a speck of dust as compared to a planet) to occur.

Right this moment there might be sentient beings galaxies away observing us typing away with their giant excuse of a telescope. 'Aah, primitive lifeforms, are they not?'

Or there might not, because as of now us humans aren't intelligent enough to find proof.

You know, Stelth (or what you call youself nowadays), I still haven't forgotten the day when Mistylover confirmed his gender in the Shipping section. My eyes are still twitchy from all the rolling I did back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.