• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Eyecatches

matt0044

Sceptile Master

Survivor of the Great Avatar Depression
I love eyecatches. Some of them can really break the mood though, depending on what's going on. Like in Sailor Moon R sometimes. I think they're usually cut out just because it's not a western thing, and to save time.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Yeah, I TOTALLY haven't seen a lot of anime, since though I recognize titles, I have never seen the anime, and thus haven't seen those eyecatches. And others I have seen, such as CLANNAD and Higurashi, don't really have eyecatches. They just have the name of the anime at the half-way mark and fade in/out to the next scene, pretty much. Umineko at least tried to be a little creative with their eyecatches, complete with a jump scare XD. The few I have seen, such as Digimon Adventures, Azumanga Daioh, DragonBall Z (though it's so freakin' obvious DragonBall has the better eyecatches), and Cardcaptor Sakura, to name a... few of those... I didn't mind the eyecatches. Azumanga Daioh may have the cutest eyecatches I've seen thus far.

Yeah, I'll agree with Sceptile Master. They tend to leave it in in the season boxsets, but it's probably for time purposes. I don't know how broadcasting works in Japan, but they either have the anime shown all the way through without commercial breaks, or they are very consistent with how long a commercial break must be. (Because heaven knows we tend to have problems with commercial breaks here. Even though a normal commercial has to be no longer than 30 seconds, if it's longer than that, the station will cut it in mid-sentence to go to the next package to maintain schedule.)

Mobile Suit Gundam has the worst eyecatch ever. It never fails to kill the tension. Dramatic battle situation and then... BOMBOMMMM... SHOE!

Zazie

So 1991
Mobile Suit Gundam has the worst eyecatch ever. It never fails to kill the tension. Dramatic battle situation and then... BOMBOMMMM... SHOE!

I love that "shoo!" sound. It wonderful.

I could give two shits about eye-catches for the most part. They are just annoying when you don't have a commercial break between them. I suppose the ones in Some SHAFT anime (like Negima!? and Pani Poni Dash) do it okay since they do it every scene transition making it feel like part of the show.

matt0044

ForeverFlame

Watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood subbed when...

FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST (in perfect English)

Some of them are extremely campy and cause me to laugh for the rest of the episode.

weirdamanda

What a drama llama.
Watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood subbed when...

FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST (in perfect English)

Some of them are extremely campy and cause me to laugh for the rest of the episode.

I always thought that was funny, totally would ruin the mood sometimes though

I really like the Yu Yu Hakusho one (couldn't find a clip :/ )