• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Eyeglasses/Contact Lens and You

Lord Scalgon

What title?
First off, it's mainly a thread about discussing eyeglasses and contact lens. Anyway, to start things off, there's many of us who stick with eyeglasses, and many of us who stick with contact lens.

For vision, I once wore eyeglasses. From the days when I was a child until last Friday. Then a contact lens fitter advised me to permanently stick to contact lens. Why the transition? It's a pretty long story, and to those of you who remembered my surgery thread from three years back, you may have an idea, but I'll just go over it again in a quote (feel free to skip if you wish).

Back in late May of 2008, I noticed black floaters roaming around my right eye, so I was very curious to know what's going on. According to research from friends (and someone from here who I doubt lurks here anymore) informed me that I may have succumbed to a retinal detachment. While concerned, I scheduled an appointment with an opthalmologist immediately and the doctor said that I had indeed succumbed to a retinal detachment. And thus, I had my first ever eye surgery, and it sucked (because I had to vomit for half a day afterwards).

The surgery went well, and my retina was reattached, despite the fact that I had silicon oil, which will be removed in the next surgery months from that point. During the post-surgery visit with the doctor, he told me that there will be a time when it's inevitable for me to use contact lens at some point in time, which means that I would have to transition from eyeglasses to wearing contact lens. After a few more visits, I later had my second eye surgery in November 2008, in which to remove silicon oil from my eye.

During that post-surgery visit, the doctor told me I'm finished with eye surgeries, but recommended me to make appointments in an event my vision becomes cloudy (it did a couple months later). The term in which vision becomes cloudy is called a "cataract". Normally, you'd have to be in your late 40s or 50s to succumb to this, but I'm definitely not an exception, since I succumbed to it at such an early age. When I scheduled an appointment to schedule a date for a cataract surgery on June 2009, things took a turn for the worst - I succumbed to yet another eye disease called "keratoconus". It's a disease where your cornea basically sticks out (I guess something like a stigma), and it's not good. Because of this, I was very unsure what my next decision would be, but my doctor recommended me to visit one of the best-known eye doctors in Northern California, so I made the move.

During my visit, this doctor mentions a specialized corneal transplant that has an even lesser risk compared to normal corneal transplants (I can't exactly remember how it goes, since it's been two years since I saw him). Realizing that I didn't really have that much of a choice, I scheduled a date to have a corneal transplant somewhere around June 2010. Unfortunately, in early June 2010, I received a phone call from that doctor mentioning that I should not go for the surgery because my eye is too weak to endure the operation. He also sent an additional e-mail, too.

===
PATRICK G. PAGLEN MD

Sorry it has taken me a few days to answer your message. I wanted to review your records before giving my advice. I have reviewed them and my suggestion differs with Dr. Tso. I recommend doing cataract surgery first as this is a much easier operation with a quick recovery. Once this is completed we can find out how much vision is still in the eye and decide if it is appropriate to do the corneal transplant which will take a year to recover from. Considering the amblyopia, the retinal detachment that was fixed with silicone oil the eye may have only limited potential vision and if so I would not recommend a corneal transplant.

Electronically signed by PATRICK G. PAGLEN MD
===

In that case, I decided to go with him and schedule a cataract surgery with another eye doctor, which was held in September 2010. The operation went well, and I was able to see clear, but a few months later, I succumbed to a second cataract, and the only way of curing that cataract is laser treatment (called YAG...but I can't remember what it stands for). I thought about it for many months and decided to go for it in August 2011 (yeah, that long, was a tough decision despite all the risks). This was the quickest and most easiest surgery I ever had, since there was no pain whatsoever and it was done in office. However, this marked the end of usage of eyeglasses, and I was referred to a contact lens fitter, so from this point on, I started to wear contact lens. Wearing the first time sucked, but I eventually got more used to it (it was quicker than I thought, to be honest).

So yeah, that's my adventure of what I went through with eye problems. To wrap it up in short, I used to wear eyeglasses, and now I wear contact lens. Even to this day, I sometimes have a hard time putting it on (lens tend to troll me whenever I put it on incorrectly), but I improve as I put it on more and more. So, do you wear eyeglasses or contact lens? If you do wear contact lens, what was it like when you first started? Did you not like it at first? Were you afraid to use it? Also, how long did it take you to perfectly insert your lens?

To those that wear eyeglasses, well...this is "easy stuff" for you. Putting it on is way easier than putting on contact lens.

Also, to those of you who are curious about my vision, this is what my vision is like right now (with keratoconus):

[img139]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c93/lordscalgon/keratoconusview.jpg[/img139]

Notice the slanted transparent view. That's the vision of my right eye.

(I guess you can throw in laser treatments to improve your vision...but I don't know who's gonna go for that when the time comes. If you're farsighted, then...fffffffffffffffffff)

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Wow, that sucks...

I've worn glasses since I was in kindergarten, and even then, my vision seemed to have gotten worse, so I had to wear prescription bifocals. Actually, I had to wear them because my eyes were changing. It's a bit weird to explain, but my eyes have been bothering me for the last several years because they've been literally becoming oval-shaped. I don't know when the next eye doctor appointment is (I guess it's in a couple of months, I tend to go at the beginning of the year), but I'm gonna mention I've been blinking a lot again.

Guess I'm going back to prescription lenses then.

About a few years ago, I tried to get contacts, but I didn't like trying to touch my eyeballs. So I gave up on them.

sanae

stop trying to be god ☆
I have glasses. Negative 5 vision for me lol. I've had them since second grade, and I think I'll stick with them for a while.

Calamity™

aka Lamia
I would hate to have problems with my vision, luckily I don't. I have worn contact lenses once just because I wanted to try out a different eye colour. I struggled with just getting them in, and once they were in, I could just feel them being there throughout the day. I never tried them again.

Blue Snover

Cold as ice
I've never needed anything to help my vision.

I'm the only one in my family is perfect eyesight, which i'm really happy about.

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
I don't wear any sort of corrective lenses, so I can't really say much about this discussion.

I do, however, remember your pictures of your badass bloody eyepatch after your surgery, and I feel that mentioning this is more relevant than anything I could have otherwise contributed.

ChedWick

My vision is pretty terrible. Things start to get blurry around 1-1.5 feet away from my face. I currently wear glasses because I'm a poor college student. When my mom bought all my stuff I wore contacts.

Honestly I hate my current glasses. I recently got them this summer from a newly opened cooperate chain because they had all these promotions so I got an eye exam, glasses, and prescription sunglasses for like 250. A contact exam was an additional 40 though so I skipped on that this year(mistake, didn't know you needed one to order online.)

Before I got new glasses I had a pair of really nice Ray-Ban glasses from a privately owned optometrist office. However the lenses in those are nearly 5 years old so they did little for my vision. I sat in the front row of most classes and still had trouble seeing the codes some of my instructor were typing up.

These new pair are blah. They're heavier, the frames black coating are already coming off, my eyes strain even now as I read what I type, I went through two pairs of lenses during the 90 day money back period due to scratches; My other pair went 5+ years with no scratches. Basically when I go back to the eye doctor again I'll be going to a better office and I'll fork out the money for another pair of Ray-bans and quality lenses. I'll also be getting my contact exam so I can order contacts online.

Honestly I would love to get corrective surgery but atm it doesn't fit into my budget.

Lord Scalgon

What title?
I do, however, remember your pictures of your badass bloody eyepatch after your surgery, and I feel that mentioning this is more relevant than anything I could have otherwise contributed.

Had so many people (at that time) request a picture of me with that eyepatch, so I took that shot. I'd post it here, but this isn't the picture thread.

Even had others telling me to take a photo of myself with the bloody eye. My response: "What, you think I'm crazy?"

Ice Blue Dragon

I belive I can fly!
I have glasses because most of my family is, almost legally blind, was legally blind, or has bad vision. My mom had about 2000/20 and could not even see the big 'E'. I can barely see 1 foot in front of me with out glasses.

I prefer glasses because I would lose the contacts, and don't like putting any thing close to my eye.

SoulMuse

Shadow of nothing
Personally I wear glass and have for many years. I have no plans to change over to conacts any time soon since I don't see any obvious disadvantages to my glasses....except getting them bent from a soccer ball hitting me in the face...

Dr.Chaos

stick in the mud
I currently wear contacts even though, I feel like I see better out of one eye than the other in them. I like my glasses though, sometimes it sucks wearing contacts because it either stings or gets easily moved. Pretty much my entire family has vision problems except my mother. My doctor told me that I have a chance of getting a retinal attachment when I'm older, even though he mentioned that it was a 1% chance of actually happening.

SmartD

I got glasses about 3 or so years ago because my far-sighted vision wasn't good. I wasn't "enthusiastic" about it at first, but after a series of tests, it wasn't a bad idea.

When I got my glasses, my vision was a lot better. Though it felt funny at first, I got used to it after a while.

Mimori Kiryu

I'm near-sighted and have had glasses since 3rd grade. The only reason I have glasses is because of my 3rd grade English teacher - she refused to move me to the front of the class even though I was having trouble seeing - even with a note from my parents.

Annoying.

Livinitup17

Looking for trades
I had glasses for 1 1/2 i should of started wearing them 56 1/2 years ago i always avoid it
I can't remember what my vision is but i think it was 100/something it wasn't a big number

Jb

Tsun in the streets
My sight is kinda bad, depending on the size of the text, things start to get blurry after 2 or so feet. I prefer glasses over contacts so the simple fact that they feel safer and dont need to be replace every week or so. I have rectangle frames so they look pretty badass, you can see them in the picture thread.