• Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Faba Strikes Back! Nebby Gets Abducted!! (993)

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
Well....you said she was 'already crazy' and 'just masking it good enough' so it seemed like you're referring to Lusamine acting good while being evil inside. I'm sorry if there's any confusion/misunderstanding here.

Oh you're good, I still kinda have a headcanon she is but I'm willing to admit I was possibly wrong and she was just a kind person all this time. It's just the slasher smile she gave when looking at Nihilego and the smile she had being carried away that through me off.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Which kind of bothers me because (not going to spoil the plot of USUM) she is more or less the same egotistical woman who insults her children in those games WITHOUT Nihilego toxins. I guess they've decided to actually make her a kind mother in the anime. I still kinda wonder why the anime is keeping Mohn a secret when the games outright spoke of him.
The difference between game Lusamine and anime Lusamine (and I'm speaking solely of SM, since I've been avoiding USUM spoilers, even minor ones) is that her children haven't done anything to set her off the deep end. She barely remembered Faba's Type: Null project, and she had no idea Gladion had taken Type: Null from the Aether lab. She didn't already have possession of Nebby, so Lillie had no reason to steal it, and so Lusamine had no reason to think of her daughter as a thief.

Game Lusamine's other characteristics are still more or less present in anime Lusamine, though. She is overbearing and condescending, and while she doesn't control Lillie's wardrobe, she still treats her daughter like a baby. She is so consumed with work that she barely pays attention to her children anymore. Gladion even called her out for not further looking into why her Lillie was suddenly unable to touch Pokémon, implying that she was more concerned with her work than with her own daughter's mental health.

Oh you're good, I still kinda have a headcanon she is but I'm willing to admit I was possibly wrong and she was just a kind person all this time. It's just the slasher smile she gave when looking at Nihilego and the smile she had being carried away that through me off.

What do you make of her expression right after that first smile, like she knows she shouldn't be admiring the thing that hurt her daughter? Plus, her second smile looked more remorseful than selfishly satisfied.

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
What's with the anime making the legendary Pokemon or in this case legendary tier Pokemon, as being totally invincible 90% of the time? Not at all helped by the fact that the show handicaps Ash every time he goes to a new region for marketing purposes

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
I really don't understand why the animators changed the animation of 'Dazzling Gleam' from being a ranged attack to a physical tackle.
If they just wanted to make Clefable have contact with Nihilego, they could have had it use a different move.

What's with the anime making the legendary Pokemon or in this case legendary tier Pokemon, as being totally invincible 90% of the time?

In this case it was a bit different though.

As Nihilego was slightly in pain when it was hit by Pikachu's 'Thunderbolt', though it was able to bounce back quickly (since it was normal effective).
As for the other attacks used on it, they all were 'not very effective' types (aka., 'Dazzling Gleam' and 'Air Slash', both of which are resisted by it).

Remember, Nihilego's highest stat is its Special Defense, plus it has 'Beast Boost' as its ability.

Even if Games =/= Anime, that aspect might have played a role in here in some way, which allowed it to easily counter others (the writers do seem to focus a bit on abilities now a days, so its possible it was used here as well). This is especially possible considering that they didn't make Pikachu use 'Iron Tail' on it.

Last edited:

Rajas

Which kind of bothers me because (not going to spoil the plot of USUM) she is more or less the same egotistical woman who insults her children in those games WITHOUT Nihilego toxins. I guess they've decided to actually make her a kind mother in the anime. I still kinda wonder why the anime is keeping Mohn a secret when the games outright spoke of him.

Well the anime has a habit of never showing long lost fathers tbh so I'll be surprised if they make any mention of him whatsoever especially if he died. I'm also not surprised the anime took the route of making Lusamine a purely good mother, seems like something they'd be scared of doing, showing a purely evil/mentally unstable mother who mistreats her children etc.

Epicocity

The difference between game Lusamine and anime Lusamine (and I'm speaking solely of SM, since I've been avoiding USUM spoilers, even minor ones) is that her children haven't done anything to set her off the deep end. She barely remembered Faba's Type: Null project, and she had no idea Gladion had taken Type: Null from the Aether lab. She didn't already have possession of Nebby, so Lillie had no reason to steal it, and so Lusamine had no reason to think of her daughter as a thief.

Game Lusamine's other characteristics are still more or less present in anime Lusamine, though. She is overbearing and condescending, and while she doesn't control Lillie's wardrobe, she still treats her daughter like a baby. She is so consumed with work that she barely pays attention to her children anymore. Gladion even called her out for not further looking into why her Lillie was suddenly unable to touch Pokémon, implying that she was more concerned with her work than with her own daughter's mental health.

I think it's a giant leap from "condescending" to outright "emotionally abusive". Having a mother who is overbearing and a bit of a workaholic is a far cry from the mother who used Lillie as, essentially, a doll, don't you think? I can't say I see the similarities on the whole, especially since that version of Lusamine didn't spring about from Lillie stealing Nebby, so the argument there may fall a little flat.

DankOverlord

Komodo Dragons Rule!
Well the anime has a habit of never showing long lost fathers tbh so I'll be surprised if they make any mention of him whatsoever especially if he died. I'm also not surprised the anime took the route of making Lusamine a purely good mother, seems like something they'd be scared of doing, showing a purely evil/mentally unstable mother who mistreats her children etc.

Well Lusamine was good before her husband's disappearance and contact with Nihilego drove her off the deep end, she wasn'ta pure evil abusive mother a la Ragyo Kuririn like some poeple male her out to be, she was a bit more like the anime version before Nihilego made her UB-crazy

SONW

I have to say that I was a bit disappointed that ash did not have a moment of "farewell" with the cosmog (of course he will remain nebby, but the cosmog form of the last episodes is over)

Rajas

Well Lusamine was good before her husband's disappearance and contact with Nihilego drove her off the deep end, she wasn'ta pure evil abusive mother a la Ragyo Kuririn like some poeple male her out to be, she was a bit more like the anime version before Nihilego made her UB-crazy

Hadn't she already started to go off the deep end once Mohn had died? Distancing herself from her kids etc then got obsessed with the UBs? This Lusamine wanted the UBs since she was a kid but at the same time never went over board to see them. Maybe it'll change now that she's kidnapped but the only sign they showed was that one scene where she had this look on her face but it quickly disappeared to protect Lillie. I really don't see how they'd explain it at this point if I'm being honest.

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
The first portions of this episode were a bit boring, but it had it's moments. Seeing Lillie hugging all the Pokemon was cute and one could feel for her. Faba is definitely one of the creepiest characters I’ve ever seen in this anime. That wink he gave and him twirling around, had me seriously raising an eyebrow. Seeing Turonator joining in on the jump rope, was pretty funny and gave me a few laughs, as well as Faba unintentionally netting Wobbuffet. However, like Satomine Night said, this episode really didn't need Team Rocket. I mean, it was a little funny to see them be teleported into Bewear's arms, but we could've done without it this time.

By far though, my favorite part of this episode was generally the last 5 minutes of it, because they were pretty intense. Faba opening up the wormhole, Nihilego appearing and being able to defend itself against Silvally, Pikachu, Clefable, etc…Gladion trying to defend Lillie (stepping in front, while Nihilego approaches), and Lusamine being taken away, combined with the bgm being played, and Lillie’s scream and facial reaction at the end, was sooo good! Is this Pokemon? Nihilego's voice was creepy too and fitting. Lusamine's smirk when it appeared, has definitely forshadowed the future, and I think we all know what it means.

I really love the way this arc is going atm and can’t wait to see more. :)

xEryChan

Pirate King
Staff member
Gotta say, I had high hopes for this episode after last weeks and it did not disappoint whatsoever.

The beginning was a little slow, I have to say.

I really enjoyed the beginning when Lillie was so excited over being able to touch Pokemon again. I laughed when Lillie was hugging Turtantor and his shell just exploded on everyone, that was pretty funny.

Everyone learning how to jump rope was boring to me. I don’t even see what the point of that even was, to be honest.

Nebby teleporting Team Rocket to Bewear. That seemed a bit redundant, especially because that happened in SM45. They couldn’t think of any other way to get the TRio out of Faba’s way. I mean, really?

Once Faba kidnapped Nebby, things started to get good. The last 5 minutes were so intense. Between Faba opening the wormhole to Nihilego appearing and definding itself against pretty well against Clefable, Pikachu, and Silvally to Nihilego abducting Lusamine, it was crazy. I am looking forward to seeing next weeks episode.

I am going to give this episode 8.5/10. It was a little slow in the beginning but then it got crazy and I really did enjoy it. My only compaint was about Nebby teleporting the TRio to Bewear. The first time it was funny but now, it just seems predictable.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Lusamine consoling Lilie and Gladio protecting them were both touching moments, and I was taken aback when Satoshi attacked Sauboh by himself. Lusamine being abducted by Uturoid into the Ultra Wormhole was expected, yet still quite intense. I thought that Hoshigumo-chan's evolution was depressing however, because I prefer Cosmog over Cosmovum.

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
That jump rope scene was incredibly well animated for a television schedule. Iwane Masa'aki has apparently said that animating that scene made him feel like he was about to die.

mehmeh1

I can do anything
Maybe then Ash would prove himself worthy of Pikashunium-Z to Hala in SM51 in some way. Or else it would probably be handed over to Ash for the sake of plot so that Ash can stand up to the UB's like you said.

Anyway, using 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt in the climax makes sense, because it would help Ash to stand up against the UB's and make the Aether climax even more epic. :D
also, don't forget that the 10 000 000 VT scene in the opening looked like it was set on nihilego's ultra space

lemoncatpower

Cynical optimist
looved this episode. I think the anime will make me enjoy the UB's actually. Nihilego is a huge creeeep (by nature) and I loved it. The horror it gave to Lillie and Gladion was felt through my whole body. Cannot wait to see the others, and oh gosh I'm not sure how they're going to take down the other UB's without a legendary.... But i'm excited for how they go about it... (please bring back Ash-Greninja to help with this whilst not shunning other pokemon's development)

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia

This true, but why mention Lusamine being married anyway? They could of just the plot overall but by acknowledging she WAS married and the father is no longer there is make people question things. I would preferred them go the Misty-Serena route and just not mention fathers at all

What do you make of her expression right after that first smile, like she knows she shouldn't be admiring the thing that hurt her daughter? Plus, her second smile looked more remorseful than selfishly satisfied.

That and "oh sh*t that thing is about to attack better focus". I guess it could of been a remorseful smile since she did look but a bit sad. What makes me wonder is why she didn't fight back. When Lillie was captured she was still fully coherent enough to yell and scream. Lusamine just had a peaceful (remorseful) look and floated away.

I think it's a giant leap from "condescending" to outright "emotionally abusive". Having a mother who is overbearing and a bit of a workaholic is a far cry from the mother who used Lillie as, essentially, a doll, don't you think? I can't say I see the similarities on the whole, especially since that version of Lusamine didn't spring about from Lillie stealing Nebby, so the argument there may fall a little flat.
Those are still condescending traits accidental or not. Satomie Night is not saying those are the same EXACT qualities but in both game and anime Lusamine was condescending. It's just the toxins brought out the worse in that quality and made her outright abusive (if you want to discredit USUM where she's just evil without the toxins). The whole argument of "Lusamine can't be insane she loves her children" is faulty because her children never ran away and they never stole her "property". If you played the games that was the main reason she was mad at them. In the anime however Ash FOUND Nebby and Gladion stole Null from Faba.

Last edited:

Epicocity

Those are still condescending traits accidental or not. Satomie Night is not saying those are the same EXACT qualities but in both game and anime Lusamine was condescending. It's just the toxins brought out the worse in that quality and made her outright abusive (if you want to discredit USUM where she's just evil without the toxins). The whole argument of "Lusamine can't be insane she loves her children" is faulty because her children never ran away and they never stole her "property". If you played the games that was the main reason she was mad at them. In the anime however Ash FOUND Nebby and Gladion stole Null from Faba.

But she dressed her daughter up as a doll before Nihilego...She was literally already emotionally abusive towards Lillie and Gladion to the point of driving both of them away prior to Lillie's theft of Nebby. Perhaps she got furious towards them at that point, but she was already evil and abusive long before that point occurred, or will we ignore the frozen Pokemon she keeps on hand? So, yes, still seems a giant leap from "condescending", which I don't quite see given that Lillie still lives in one of her homes and is 10 years old (maybe...we don't have an age, do we?). Workaholic and ignorant, sure, but it is still an enormous leap to go from where we are now to what she was prior to Nebby's theft in the games.

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
Seems like the plot started to pick up some steam. I am glad not to be the only one to notice the bizarre expression on Lusamines face when the Ultra hole reopened. Now I am a little worried about her..

Last edited:

Pokegirl Fan~

Golden Queen
Lillie was adorable in the beginning of the episode when she was bonding with all of the group's Pokemon. Faba was creepy with his Dark Magician Girl impersonation as well. Also the ending was a bit creepy and I felt bad for Lillie when her mom was taken into the ultra wormhole after protecting Lillie and pushing Gladion out of the way.