• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Faba Strikes Back! Nebby Gets Abducted!! (993)

Could someone clarify what it was Faba was trying to accomplish? It looks to me like he was trying to get a UB for Lusamine like she always wanted, just to creep his way up the ranks at Aether.

At least, that's why he sold Lusamine out to Team RR in USUM, so he could be in charge and turn Aether into an interdimensional organization.

That said, as much as I liked seeing just a flicker of Lusamine's dark side, and her grappling with it, I would've liked it all the more if we saw more of it in earlier episodes. They brought up her obsession with the UBs exactly twice in the past seven episodes, and most of her appearances have built her up to be someone who's more innocently distracted with business calls than unhealthily wild about eldritch beings from another cosmos. Maybe the writers figured that doing that would make her change of heart in this frame of time seem insincere. But imagine if they went the extra mile to make the audience really question whether Lusamine was actually evil or not without assuming we'd played the games, because only SM gamers feel inclined to say, "Of course she's gonna turn out to be evil!"

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Uh, no one has been proven wrong here. A lot of us acknowledged that Lusamine would probably turn evil against her will due to Nihilego. But that doesn't change the fact that till now, she wasn't evil at all, unlike some who were suggesting that everything she did till now was a facade.

Except that user clearly implied multiple times that he didn't want her to be an antagonist at all and was quite rude to people who thought otherwise :rolleyes:

Rajas

Could someone clarify what it was Faba was trying to accomplish?

To me it seemed that he just wanted to be the guy who successfully brought an UB to their world, he was reasoning with Lusamine saying he's only doing what she wanted to shift blame.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
To me it seemed that he just wanted to be the guy who successfully brought an UB to their world, he was reasoning with Lusamine saying he's only doing what she wanted to shift blame.

Well bringing the UB in this episode was his second choice, but his first choice was to erase Lillie's memories. I don't understand how he went from trying to erase her memories to trying to open a Wormhole as his second choice. They don't even seem related.

I guess we have to seriously wait for subs to understand Faba's true motives, cause right now it sounds like a mess.

Rajas

Well bringing the UB in this episode was his second choice, but his first choice was to erase Lillie's memories. I don't understand how he went from trying to erase her memories to trying to open a Wormhole as his second choice. They don't even seem related.

I guess we have to seriously wait for subs to understand Faba's true motives, cause right now it sounds like a mess.

Think after he got caught out trying to mess with Lillie he just went rogue. Maybe he was even banned from AF but only due to Nebby teleporting he got in. It is weird in general that AF has no other workers than Lusamine, Burnet, Wicke, James, a pilot or two and well Faba.

I figured he was trying to erase Lillie's memories because if she remembered that she was attacked by an Ultra Beast, she'd tell on him and he'd be out of a job. Now, if this was the case, then why he didn't try wiping Gladion's memory would be an egregious oversight.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
First off, I have to ask: What in the name of Arceus was Faba smoking prior to this episode to compel him to not only do a magical girl dance, but also wink hearts at the camera?! Did having his past mistakes revealed drive him that crazy?

The beginning of the episode, with Lillie hugging all of the Pokémon, was absolutely adorable. Bonus points for the reactions of Lycanroc (its sheer elation) and Litten (its horrified expression). Even her accidentally activating Turtonator's explosive spikes had an element of charm to it. I liked how Professor Kukui waited outside the classroom to give Lillie a chance to enjoy the moment before entering to start class.

The second half of the episode was pretty intense! Thanks to its voice, Nihilego was far creepier here than it ever came off as in the games. My heart went out to Lillie the moment the Ultra Wormhole started materializing. You could really feel her utter terror. You could also feel Gladion's horror, as well, even though he did a better job of hiding it behind a tough façade.

I half-expected Lusamine to get abducted by Nihilego at the end of this episode, but I was not expecting it to happen because she was defending Gladion. Gladion looked ready to accept his fate in order to protect his little sister, but then Lusamine decided to accept her fate to protect her son. That sad smile on her face as she was being carried away, coupled with Gladion and Lillie calling after her, actually tugged at my heartstrings a little.

However, Lusamine's almost slasher-smile at the sight of Nihilego aroused my suspicions. She definitely shares her game counterpart's strong desire to meet an Ultra Beast. I have a feeling Nihilego may target that passion to infect her with its toxins.

That whole scene with Team Rocket interfering with Faba's attempts to kidnap Nebby felt like a waste of time, and little more than an excuse to get include Team Rocket in the episode, to be honest. They could have been excluded and nothing would have changed. Their involvement wasn't even that humorous.

Well that was way back when Ash was very less experienced with Z-moves. But now, he has become a lot more experienced with Z-moves, so I don't think it would be odd for Pikachu to successfully launch 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt at first go.
Actually, Epicocity is right. It's been stated that one has to earn Z-Crystals. Even if Ash is more experienced using Z-Moves now, that doesn't mean he still doesn't have to legitimately earn his Z-Crystals. Having Pikashunium-Z just handed to him wouldn't be earning it. Personally, I'm starting to wonder if the evolving Z-Crystal theory might turn out to be somewhat true. Maybe the Tapus "evolve" Ash's Electrium-Z into Pikashunium-Z.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Actually, Epicocity is right. It's been stated that one has to earn Z-Crystals.
Can you remind me where this was said? It certainly isn't in the games, where you only have to earn the right to use Z-Crystals in general, and you over the course of the game get a number of crystals that you do nothing to earn other than find them.

Course it could also be that "earning" is a very broad definition and need not involve a trial. You may only need to be strong enough to locate a crystal, or Ash may get one due to Tapu Koko recognizing his strength in battle.

Looking back at the episode, the following are Kiawe's exact words:

"It disintegrated. That means its too soon for you to use Z-moves, you haven't had an Island Challenge Trial yet."

So all that was said was that a trial is necessary for Z-moves in general, not that every crystal must be earned by battle.

Last edited:

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Can you remind me where this was said? It certainly isn't in the games, where you only have to earn the right to use Z-Crystals in general, and you over the course of the game get a number of crystals that you do nothing to earn other than find them.

Course it could also be that "earning" is a very broad definition and need not involve a trial. You may only need to be strong enough to locate a crystal, or Ash may get one due to Tapu Koko recognizing his strength in battle.
When the Electrium-Z Tapu Koko gave Ash shattered, Kiawe claimed it was because Ash had not truly earned it. That was when Ash decided to participate in the Island Challenge and legitimately earn Z-Crystals. Professor Kukui told him that participating in the Island Challenge is one way to earn Z-Crystals, but it is not the only way.

DatsRight

Wow this is a real fast mood whiplash of an arc.

The start was cute, Lillie glomping all the Pokemon, while seeming to have inherited Ash's suicidal lack of personal space and slapstick (Lycanroc and Turtotnator give their usual painful affection).

The jump rope segment was odd, but I liked seeing all the characters in action. Kiawe's team again steal the show, with him finally doing an exercise with his Marowak and Turtonator proving astonishingly nimble.

On a side note, Ash also seems to be regaining his athletic flare here, he was doing well on jump rope until he started showing off, not to mention spearing Faba and landing on his feet when the machine blasts him.

I admit Faba is a good mix of comical and threatening. He was truly despicable last episode and his plans are even more destructive here, but he's also a complete clown that isn't above bickering with Team Rocket and going magical girl on us. While Team Rocket's role was a bit pointless here, I admit I like the idea of Faba and them being sitcom-ish rivals, though with Nebby evolved there's not much more for them to do so with now.

Hobbes as badass pilot was genius. XD Why did no one else go though? The jet doesn't seem that small.

Nihilego was pretty damn sinister and unstoppable, guess Silvally stopping it last time was a fluke. Oh and THERE'S our nuts Lusamine right there. I got the feeling they'd go this direction, sweet but flawed mother Lusamine being her default personality, and the abusive villainous personality being excused with Nihilego's influence. It does add a tragic touch I admit, especially with her cradling her terrified daughter here before meeting her mental downfall.

One gripe I have with this is that Ash once again leaves Nebby unattended, I expected this to happen but I expected him to be called out on his negligence and causing the whole turn of events that cost Lillie and Gladion their mother (the preview observing Nebby's new form looks kind of comical, leaving doubt any serious development is undergoing with this in particular). Given it seems to be getting called out in plot that Ash needs to demonstrate he is worthy of being chosen one this time, it's a bit disappointing.

Also while this suggests the AF arc may be going on longer than expected, it seems a shame Nebby evolved so early, he didn't really get a lot of development and interaction time, especially not with Lillie, and it will likely not be furthered much with his two evolutions.

Last edited:

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
When the Electrium-Z Tapu Koko gave Ash shattered, Kiawe claimed it was because Ash had not truly earned it. That was when Ash decided to participate in the Island Challenge and legitimately earn Z-Crystals. Professor Kukui told him that participating in the Island Challenge is one way to earn Z-Crystals, but it is not the only way.
But what version of the episode said that? As I quoted (I edited the post, perhaps while you were writing yours) in the dub at least Kiawe only referred to earning the right to use Z-moves in general, not to every crystal having to be earned individually. Or was this in another part of the episode?

Last edited:

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I loved how Ash tackled Faba and the cute moments of Lillie wanting to hug everyone.

Oh man, Lusamine is captured. I'm not sure why but she gave me a creepy, a bit obsessed/intrigued look on her face on she saw the Ultra Beast like she wanted to capture it or was consumed by its beauty yet wasn't fully mind controlled so she was still trying to be a good mother. Something tells me we might get evil Lusamine when she gets hit by toxins. If this does happen, I like that we're shown Lusamine before she got super crazy.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
One gripe I have with this is that Ash once again leaves Nebby unattended, I expected this to happen but I expected him to be called out on his negligence and causing the whole turn of events that cost Lillie and Gladion their mother (the preview observing Nebby's new form looks kind of comical, leaving doubt any serious development is undergoing with this in particular). Given it seems to be getting called out in plot that Ash needs to demonstrate he is worthy of being chosen one this time, it's a bit disappointing.
I agree Ash should have kept a better eye on Nebby and he should have known a sleeping owl does not make a very good bodyguard. At the very least, he shouldn't have left his backpack so far away (though I will at least give him props for not leaving it in the classroom). Perhaps Gladion, at least, does hold Ash responsible, even if indirectly, for his mother getting abducted. Perhaps even Lillie holds him responsible, too (although I think she is less likely to blame Ash than Gladion is). After all, if he had kept a better eye on Nebby, Faba wouldn't have been able to lure it away so easily in the first place.

Perhaps that is why Gladion and Lillie decide to run off to rescue their mother on their own, without the aid of Ash and the others. Also, if Ash feels guilty and responsible for Lusamine's abduction (and he very well might), that could be another reason he decides to seek out Hala's advice.

But what version of the episode said that? As I quoted (I edited the post, perhaps while you were writing yours) in the dub at least Kiawe only referred to earning the right to use Z-moves in general, not to every crystal having to be earned individually. Or was this in another part of the episode?
(Yeah, you must have edited your post as I was writing mine.) I was referring to the Japanese version of that episode, where Kiawe said Ash's Electrium-Z shattered because it was too early for him to use Z-Moves, since he hadn't completed a Trial yet. In SM09, Professor Kukui told Ash there is more than one way to earn Z-Crystals, and participating in the Island Challenge is only one way. It's true that doesn't mean every Z-Crystal has to be individually earned, but that doesn't mean every Z-Crystal does not have to be individually earned. It's a little ambiguous, to be honest.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
I loved how Ash tackled Faba and the cute moments of Lillie wanting to hug everyone.

Oh man, Lusamine is captured. I'm not sure why but she gave me a creepy, a bit obsessed/intrigued look on her face on she saw the Ultra Beast like she wanted to capture it or was consumed by its beauty yet wasn't fully mind controlled so she was still trying to be a good mother. Something tells me we might get evil Lusamine when she gets hit by toxins. If this does happen, I like that we're shown Lusamine before she got super crazy.

It was already stated that she wanted to see an Ultra Beast and it was established that she wanted to see one since she was little.

She finally got to see an ultra beast hence the smile. She was snapping back to reality afterwards and started to fight against the thing. Then the Nihilego nabbed her and took her to ultra space.

Last edited:

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Personally I prefer the notion that every Z-crystal has to be individually earned. I know it's not like that in the games, but it makes them more special and mystical. I hate it that you can find a bunch of them just on the side of the road in the games so to speak.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
Throwback to when everyone thought Lusamine was just a normal overworking mother and didn't think she'd be evil/turn evil until recently. Anyway this episode in my opinion (and the other one where Mohn is not show in her wedding picture) tells me she's already crazy (if not going to be) and was just masking it good enough. It barely look like she was putting up a fight being carried away and was actually at peace. Granted she was being injected with toxins but I wouldn't think they'd work that fast. Good overall episode though. Eh still prefer SM game Lusamine.

Last edited:

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Throwback to when everyone thought Lusamine was just a normal overworking mother and didn't think she'd be evil/turn evil until recently. Anyway this episode in my opinion (and the other one where Mohn is not show in her wedding picture) tells me she's already crazy (if not going to be) and was just masking it good enough. It barely look like she was putting up a fight being carried away and was actually at peace. Granted she was being injected with toxins but I wouldn't think they'd work that fast. Good overall episode though. Eh still prefer SM game Lusamine.

Dude you're the one being proven wrong here. :p Lusamine wasn't crazy or evil at heart at all, and the notion that she is just acting good while having an evil ambition is clearly proven wrong in this episode. She will probably become evil later on (Mother Beast) because of Nihelego's neurotoxins, not on her own will.

Rajas

This Lusamine is not bad at all though, even if the writers use that little glint as her weakness for getting warped by the toxins, she again showed how much she loved her children, even in the glint scene she quickly gets angry thinking about her daughter getting hurt again. She is a normal hardworking mother but that doesn't mean she'd go bad against her will down the road (maybe even at ep 53). What would surprise me is if the comatose Lusamine after 53 for a while and then make her wake up crazy. One thing I am positive about is that Lusamine is 100% sane before being taken by Nihilego, all her priorities are in check.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
Dude you're the one being proven wrong here. :p Lusamine wasn't crazy or evil at heart at all, and the notion that she is just acting good while having an evil ambition is clearly proven wrong in this episode. She will probably become evil later on (Mother Beast) because of Nihelego's neurotoxins, not on her own will.

Yeah did you read the part when I said "turn evil" meaning if she wasn't, she will be eventually?

This Lusamine is not bad at all though, even if the writers use that little glint as her weakness for getting warped by the toxins, she again showed how much she loved her children, even in the glint scene she quickly gets angry thinking about her daughter getting hurt again. She is a normal hardworking mother but that doesn't mean she'd go bad against her will down the road (maybe even at ep 53). What would surprise me is if the comatose Lusamine after 53 for a while and then make her wake up crazy. One thing I am positive about is that Lusamine is 100% sane before being taken by Nihilego, all her priorities are in check.

Which kind of bothers me because (not going to spoil the plot of USUM) she is more or less the same egotistical woman who insults her children in those games WITHOUT Nihilego toxins. I guess they've decided to actually make her a kind mother in the anime. I still kinda wonder why the anime is keeping Mohn a secret when the games outright spoke of him.

Last edited:

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Yeah did you read the part when I said "turn evil" meaning if she wasn't, she will be eventually?

Well....you said she was 'already crazy' and 'just masking it good enough' so it seemed like you're referring to Lusamine acting good while being evil inside. I'm sorry if there's any confusion/misunderstanding here.