• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Facing Fear With Eyes Wide Open! (694)

Cartoonami

To know the unkown
I'm late to the thread, so maybe someone else said this, but what I liked about the episode was how Oshawott's learning to open his eyes underwater was an expy for a child learning how to swim. Good comedy in this episode came from that identification.
Also, Iwane's animation team delivered the goods once again, as they always do.

Kingdra4ever

I can type this.
Good points
-Hozah! Oshawott mastered Aqua Jet. He just needs to solve his other problems and he should be normal. I hope.

Bad points
-Ash dosen't need ANOTHER pokemon.
-Cilan is drunk if he wants derpfish.
-Again, Cilan drunk. FLING THE FISH!
-Waaahhh! No Tranquill. He dosen't need the hell bidden Swadloon either. I AM A TRANQUILL FAN.

These are my reasons on why I hate this episode, and do not object to this post.
And... Palpitoad is NOT ugly.

You tell 'em skies.
I'd give this episode 8/10.

~Kingdra

dman_dustin

This is a similar instance to Takeshi getting jammed in the butt by Gureggru and he says "Paralyzed!" (しびれ~!). The poisonous spores caused paralysis in the Pokémon. Comparing the game term of "Paralyzed" doesn't really work in the anime universe as in this instance the poisons effects caused the Pokémon to be paralyzed. In the games, Pokémon cannot have more than one major status ailment at a time.

Iris: The poison spores of those Tamagetake over there have paralyzed everyone.
(アイリス): あそこにいるタマゲタケの毒胞子のせいでみんな しびれて動けなくなってしまったの。

While I would agree with Scraggy in BW017 since it had electric sparks (albeit PURPLE sparks similar to the Toxic Spike in the Sinnoh League). I don't think I can agree with the "Writers" in this episode or any time.

But it depends on one thing.

In the second to last episode of the DP series "The Brockster Is In" in the English Dub they were clearly poisoned, not "paralyzed" by the Tentacruel. Were they "poisoned" or "paralyzed" in the original.

I ask because the baby Pokemon in the Brock episode looks exactly like the ailments of the groups Pokemon in this episode.

So I can't see how they were "paralyzed" rather than "poisoned" especially since we saw Scraggy in BW017 paralyzed by a poison attack (I'm assuming Galvantula used a poison attack on Scraggy).

But why is this episode clearly different but the same? I guess if it was just Foongus's poisonous spores, I guess I can accept that answer for why they were somehow paralyzed, although why wouldn't it be the attack poison powder? How would poison powder be any different? (in animation at least).

Why not just say they're poisoned? Why complicate matters with saying they are "paralyzed?"

Last edited:

Littlemyuu

Nice episode, Stunkfish is a funny Pokemon =p glad he made a appearance ^^

Lance The Champ

The Aura Guardian
Ash sure is catching lots of pokemon in Unova...

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Ash sure is catching lots of pokemon in Unova...

He is, and that isn't a problem. Getting them all to fight is a problem. Though I figure Palpitoad is set up as strong already, being one of the few pokemon that Ash caught already evolved. The others being Pidgeotto, Muk and Noctowl, and Snorlax if you assume that Munchlax existed back then. Ow, and Pikachu lolz..

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
man ash got palpitoad and cilan stunfisk really tv tokyo

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
man ash got palpitoad and cilan stunfisk really tv tokyo

Both very decent pokemon. Palpitoad is awesome, as is Seismitoad, really fast and has nice typings. Stunfisk is great in UU as it has a lot of moves that give it tons of type coverage, and it handles its own weaknesses quite well.

Don't see why you're complaining unless you're bothered aesthetically..

CupidKirby

Cilan getting...Stunfisk?

Woah. That's awesome. And totally unexpected.

Kind of funny to see something so significant happening in Pokemon that absolutely no one was prepared for.

TheEpicGoomba

Nice episode. Cool to see Palpitoad and Stunfisk for the first time. It was great that Ash was trying to train Oshawott to use Aqua Jet with it's eyes open. Glad that he suceeded in doing so. It was awesome to see Ash capture Palpitoad and Cilian to capture Stunfisk. It was very surprising.

KickAsh

halted development
Highlights: Seeing Iris interact with everyone's Pokemon is cute, Oshawott is adorable again, Cilan goes fishing, Oshawott masters Aqua Jet, and Cilan catches a Stunfisk. (Personally, I like Stunfisk, so I welcome this new capture.)

Not-highlights: Ash catches another Pokemon. I really do love Palpitoad, but I think Ash needs to slow done. I can't decide if I like Swadloon or Tranquill better (neither gets enough screen time for me to tell), but I guess Palpitoad has to replace one of them and I'm just not ready for that yet.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Remeyo weed? That doesn't sound like Salveyo weed at all!

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Remeyo weed? That doesn't sound like Salveyo weed at all!

Hey as we all know drugs make the world go around. May as well make kids get into it early lol

AmericanPi

Write on
Cilan getting...Stunfisk?

Woah. That's awesome. And totally unexpected.

Kind of funny to see something so significant happening in Pokemon that absolutely no one was prepared for.

Fancy Waiter Boy with Derpy Fish = A wonderful, aromatic combination. ;)

I liked this episode; nice to see Oshawott finally mastering Aqua Jet (though if I were Ash, I'd give Oshawott some goggles...).

A definite highlight was, of course, Cilan swinging his fishing rod around like that. It was certainly very amusing. :D

And is this the first time two significant captures have been made in one episode?

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I love this episode, I liked how Scraggy ended up getting everyone poisoned.
I feel like Palpitoad was a great addition to the team

Venomfang

Perky Goth
Fancy Waiter Boy with Derpy Fish = A wonderful, aromatic combination. ;)

I liked this episode; nice to see Oshawott finally mastering Aqua Jet (though if I were Ash, I'd give Oshawott some goggles...).

A definite highlight was, of course, Cilan swinging his fishing rod around like that. It was certainly very amusing. :D

And is this the first time two significant captures have been made in one episode?

Ash caught Caterpie and Pidgeotto in one episode.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Does anyone else think Cilan can make stuff like golf & filing tax returns seem fun because of how exciting he made fishing look in this episode?

Missingno. Master

Poison-type Trainer
Ash caught Caterpie and Pidgeotto in one episode.

Not entirely sure how significant those two are, considering neither one even made it to the Orange Islands. Either way, that's not the last time that happened. I believe it was when Ash caught Pidove and Jessie caught Woobat in the same episode. Not sure how much it counts that Ash caught 30 Tauros in the same episode...

SmartD

It's a good episode. The best parts are:
Oshawott opening its eyes underwater
Ash catching Palpitoad and Cilan catching Stunfisk. The new additions are welcomed.

Can't wait for the next episode.

TheMaster327

Does anyone else think Cilan can make stuff like golf & filing tax returns seem fun because of how exciting he made fishing look in this episode?

Is it just me, or is 'Zistheone2' the name of your YouTube account? Just I saw the exact same comment on the video I saw of this episode!

Good episode nonetheless.