• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Facing Fear With Eyes Wide Open! (694)

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
If only we could hit pokemon with fishing rods. And weaken for capture. Ash catches too much in this season and i hope this "Roggenrola" will be the last. Pika, Osha, Tepig, Snivy, Tran, Swad, Scrag, Palp, and Rogg.

*Points to spoiler tag*

Vipsoccermaster

Good episode. I liked how there were two captures (Palpitoad and Stunfisk) in one episode, both at the same time by Ash and Cilan.

As for the Pokemon getting poisoned, well, it was Scraggy's fault for getting into trouble by annoying the Foongus. The Pokemon could have dodged the poisonous scent, but it was too late.

Snivy and Emolga are both still at it in their rivalry.

And it's good to see that Oshawott finally mastered Aqua Jet, as well as having its eyes open underwater.

dman_dustin

sound the same to me and a great voice it is as well

In the Japanese version the Trip Palpitoad was obviously voiced by a guy.

Ash's Palpitoad was voiced by the Japanese VA of Officer Jenny, a girl.

Different voices, different Pokemon.

Besides, voices should never be used to determine gender. Remember Yanmega?

Demonic Voice =/= Masculine Voice.

And if you listen very carefully, beyond that demonic voice is a tinge of a feminine tone, it sounds a lot like the old deep woman voice.

Of course granted that happened after it was revealed to be female.

Orton155

Pokemon Enthusiast
You mean bar Scraggy.

No I meant what I said maybe I didn't make myself clear enough.

Scraggy wasn't really playing with the other pokemon but emolga was trying to cause trouble to snivy with the ball.

gliscor&yanmega

I enjoyed the episode.

I love Palpitoad's dub voice. Stunfisk's voice was pretty cool too. Foongus and Tympole were fine by me.

I would have thought Palpitoad would have been the "Who's that Pokemon?" but it was Foongus surprisingly. Also surprised that Ash mentioned Tympole by name, from what I remember he didn't do so in the Japanese version.

I enjoyed the episode as much as the Japanese version.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
I enjoyed how the palpitoad's and stunfisk's dub voices turned out palpitoad's was dead on accurate stunfisk's was amazing and the foongus voices were cool two but the dub was good.

Lance The Champ

The Aura Guardian
Awesome catch for Ash! Palpitoad was really strong too... Cilan's fishing skills are impressive too... why don't they all catch water pokemon like that

Battra

What started out as a good training episode was quickly ruined by the inclusion of Palpitoad being a dick. Why do we need to setup false conflict with Pokemon that are just in the episode to be the jerks. I would much rather seen them explore why Oshawott didn't like opening his eyes underwater, but no the writers decided to go the easy route and and create false conflict when they're was no need for it.

Orton155

Pokemon Enthusiast
What started out as a good training episode was quickly ruined by the inclusion of Palpitoad being a dick. Why do we need to setup false conflict with Pokemon that are just in the episode to be the jerks. I would much rather seen them explore why Oshawott didn't like opening his eyes underwater, but no the writers decided to go the easy route and and create false conflict when they're was no need for it.

Why was it false? I thought it was quite simply palpitoad being annoyed due to it's territory being invaded. However, I do agree with you that an exploration underwater as well as an explanation for oshawott's fear would have been nice to see.

Lance The Champ

The Aura Guardian
Oshawott can control aqua jet's direction... That is is very special

Rebeccag

Loved this episode although any with Oshawott being a main focus I lked. And Oshawott mastered aqua yet as well which was cool and Ash and Clian each got a new pokemon. Im liking Ash and Clians friendship as well

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Ugh, stunfisk, probably my least favorite of the Unova team's pokemon. I'm not very fond of it in the games, either. It's the dunsparce of the DS games- useful but I don't like it and it doesn't evolve (I prefer working with pokemon that do). But I do like Palpitoad, especially its gurgling voice. :D It's also interesting to see two regulars capture a pokemon in the same episode, that's really unusual. I think May and Jessie (with their Wurmples) were about the only other ones, right? I'm also glad Ash finally got Oshawott to get over its fears of seeing underwater. I love Oshawott. :)

8/10

NPT

Just a member
Facing Fear With Eyes Wide Open!

This was a Good episode. I liked how Oshawott trying to get over the fear of opening his eyes underwater.

Snivy and Emolga still acting like rivals was kinda funny, it reminded me of there rivalry in "Emolga and the new Volt Switch!" Scraggy attacking the Foongus(geez, now I really dislike Foongus) wasn't surprising since he's still a baby Pokémon and still wants to attack anything that comes his way. But the Foongus not only poisoned Scraggy, but the other Pokémon too! I felt bad for Pikachu, Snivy, Emolga and the other Pokémon. Even though Iris was helping the Pokémon, they looked so helpless.

So it's up to Ash, Cilan and Oshawott to get a Remeyo Weed from the bottom of the lake to heal the poisoned pokémon. here were two captures (Palpitoad and Stunfisk) in one episode, both at the same time by Ash and Cilan. So Ash and Oshawott tries to get a Remeyo Weed from the bottom of the lake, but a Palpitoad commands a group of Tympole to attack them. Geez, what's up with this Palpitoad? What did Ash or Oshawott do to him that he wanted to attack them so badly?

Anyways, I liked how Oshawott finally opened his eyes and relfelcted the Bubblebeam shot at him by Tympole, causing the group of Tympole to to flee. And it's good to see that

I liked how Cilan started to spin Stunkfish around after catching it with his Fishing rod, that was really cool.
Also, I like how Oshawott defeated Palpitoad and Ash caught it. Cilan catching Stunkfish(without battling it with a Pokémon)was cool too! It's great how both Ash and Cilan caught a Pokémon in the this episode.

I'm glad Oshawott finally mastered Aqua Jet and managed to get over the fear of opening his eyes, but it's still unknown why Oshawott was afraid to open his eyes underwater. I think they should've explained the reason of Oshawott's fear.... Oh well, I guess it'll remain unknown.

TurtwigFan1

burning it down
Absolutely loved this episode! Great to see Ash training so hard with Oshawott. I definitely wish there was some sort of backstory for Oshawott's fear of opening his eyes, but I guess there'd be no way of him actually explaining that to Ash. Still, it was really nice to see him learn to open his eyes and save the rest of the group from their poison. Ash and Cilan catching Palpitoad and Stunfisk seemed really random in my opinion though. These were hostile wild Pokemon - which Ash and co. usually defeat and leave alone. Should be interesting to see how they interact with the rest of the group and with their new trainers.

I thought the (not sure if I'm spelling this right...) Romayo weeds were those weeds that Misty was trying to find back in the episode where she first got Poliwag. Those were the Salvayo (again, spelling?) weeds I was thinking of.

Oshawott's development and the captures of Palpitoad and Stunfisk made this a pretty enjoyable episode but I don't like how Scraggy is being portrayed. Imo his stupidity should affect only him, not the entire cast's parties. Right now he's portrayed as someone who isn't good at battling, does dumb things and only causes problems for the other characters as a result. I haven't seen a redeeming quality in him so far so I don't know how he's useful in any way. :confused:

Which kind of sucks because I like the species.

Pikachu979

Sinnoh Champion
I found it weird that Oshawott was a water type that couldn't open its eyes underwater but im glad it faced its fear