• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Facing the Grand Design! (857)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Malamar VS Inkay! A Bond That Saves the World!!

While heading to Coumarine City, Ash & co. encounter the evil Malamar that took over a power plant earlier in their travels. Noting that it is planning something, both Ash & co. and Team Rocket are captured by it and unable to stop it. However, when Clemont, James and Meowth break free, they try to rescue the others but James' Inkay starts acting very strangely and gets out of control. Will they be able to save the others and stop Malamar?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

playerking

Sick of dealing with idiots.
The episode starts with Team Rocket eating some food, while taking a break.

They then see Ash and co. walking down a path nearby.

Something is rustling in a bush, in front of Ash and co., as they continue walking and talking.

It's a Malamar.

The title card is focused on Team Rocket.

Ash and co. are looking in fear at the Malamar.

Clemont then notes that is the same one they met earlier in their journey.

The Malamar moves back to where it and a few other Pokemon are happily eating some food.

A couple of black trucks then pass by Ash and co. as well as Team Rocket.

After the trucks go by, James's Inkay follows it and so James chases after it.

The rest of Team Rocket then follow James.

Ash and co. also follow the trucks.

The trucks arrive at a rocky area.

There is someone in disguise at the same place.

Team Rocket arrive at the rocky area and they notice a Malamar coming out of a truck.

There are multiple Malamar there.

The Malamar have multiple strange objects that they brought with them in the trucks.

Team Rocket remember also remember the Malamar from before.

The evil Malamar from the past is apart of the evil group of Malamar.

James's Inkay gets angry at the Malamar.

Team Rocket runs off.

They bump into Ash and co. and fall over.

Ash and co.(including Team Rocket) come across some mysterious person.

The person is the same Officer Jenny that the evil Malamar controlled in the past.

They all go to some nearby cave and Officer Jenny explains to them what she is doing there.

I think she is trying to see what the evil group of Malamar are up to.

I believe that she also wants to stop what the evil Malamar are planning.

The group then gets out of the cave.

They then come across the evil Malamar and they are all controlled with their Psychic powers.

Clemont, James and Meowth manage to escape the Malamar and they run off.

Dare Da? Malamar.

James's Inkay starts to get angry and upset with James.

I believe that James finally notices that Clemont is with him.

Back at the rocky area, Ash and co. are still being controlled.

Bonnie starts to cry.

Some more Malamar then appear near Clemont's group.

Those Malamar then begin to attack them and some other Pokemon that are nearby.

The Malamar at the rocky area are still continuing on with their plan.

Clemont's group arrives back at the place they were before.

Inkay gets grabbed by one of the Malamar and becomes controlled.

Inkay gets thrown back at James, with swirly eyes, as it is still controlled or maybe just confused.

There is a flashback to the times that James and Inkay shared.

James's Inkay then attacks the Malamar.

Officer Jenny brings out her Manectric and helps to attack the Malamar.

Ash's Pikachu uses Thunderbolt on the evil Pokemon.

The evil Pokemon then lose control of the objects that they are floating up in the air.

The objects then fly into the sky and join together.

They glow blue as they join and then white.

The objects turn into a portal, which some of the Malamar fly into.

Meowth translates what the Malamar are saying.

After that, Team Rocket is with Inkay and some of the good Malamar and other Pokemon nearby.

James's Inkay begins to play with some other Inkay.

James starts to cry and tells it to continue to live with the other Pokemon, I think.

Meowth translates what Inkay is saying and then James hugs Inkay, as he cries.

James and Inkay decide to stay together.

Team Rocket then walk off.

To be continued.

Last edited:

K.N.

My stream was kinda screwed up so I didn't really catch all of what they said, but if I believe the Malamar said something about changing the environment.

Their plan got interrupted so they jumped through the portal to travel into the future, where they will surely strike again (as noted by the characters). So that pretty much confirms they'll be back.

This episode was alright I guess. I liked that James is back to being the guy that loves his Pokemon, I don't remember that being present at all in BW, but this is far from one the best episodes in that vein. I'm hoping for a "oh look its yet another one of James' family's mansions" story down the line.

Blood Red

【推しの子】
My stream was kinda screwed up so I didn't really catch all of what they said, but if I believe the Malamar said something about changing the environment.

Their plan got interrupted so they jumped through the portal to travel into the future, where they will surely strike again (as noted by the characters). So that pretty much confirms they'll be back.

This episode was alright I guess. I liked that James is back to being the guy that loves his Pokemon, I don't remember that being present at all in BW, but this is far from one the best episodes in that vein. I'm hoping for a "oh look its yet another one of James' family's mansions" story down the line.

'Changing the Environment' could imply some involvement from the Weather Trio. Doesn't seem too far off, since they somehow managed to harness the power of time travel.

elior

Unlock a world of casual fun and excitement with t
'Changing the Environment' could imply some involvement from the Weather Trio. Doesn't seem too far off, since they somehow managed to harness the power of time travel.
the malmar plot get better with each episode he show up. i have a feeling we up to some big plot with them

K.N.

Just got to rewatch it, it doesn't seem like the Malamar really said much beyond what they showed with the Holo Caster, they just kept saying that was their Ultimate Plan. They're trying to use those diamond things to change the world's environment to...whatever the hell that was. Also while the episode never said this, I'm going to assume they can only travel forwards in time lest we start having Terminator discussions in Pokemon.

I'm going to guess that they're Team Flare members trying to accomplish the whole "blow up the world" thing. Might be coincidence but the background when you battle Lysandre is a blazing sun thing, and that's pretty much exactly what this thing looked like.

Rare_Candy

How's that ? Owned suckah !
This episode was really really good. It was great to see the TRio with their old personnalities, and James and Inkay's development was well handled too. I hope we'll get another episodes like this ! Although, there's one thing that i'm not satisfied with. The story behind Malamar's scheme. I was hoping for a Team Flare's sneak peak here, but instead it was just a weird thing, and all I know is that the three Malamar wanted to destroy the world or something like that with their strange sun. It's been a year since Malamar was introduced and I don't want to wait another year for an explanation.

To be honest, I'm pretty sure Malamar isn't even related to Team Flare, and it will be suprising if Team Flare makes an appearance in the main anime this year.

I was just hoping for something a bit... Different. But other than that, this episode was excellent.

Nightstar1994

People keep repeat Team Flare but from what we've seen these Malamars work on their own all the time.
There would atleast be a tease by now.

Not to mention Lysandre so far is kept exclusive to Mega Evolution and at this rate his plot is going to get rushed like Ghetsis's.

Ѕhiny Missingno

I don't remember that being present at all in BW

Pretty much the only time when he showed emotion towards his pokémon was when he caught Yamask and to lesser extent leaving it behind at TRHQ.

Interesting that the writers are back to using Team Rocket for more than just plot devices. I like that they even got their own title card.

DaDonYordel

The Gazing Eye
This was all over the place, the gang should've been captured earlier in order to facilitate a proper built up for the climax. Jenny could have had explained her investigation and the plots while being capture with the others or at least earlier. I guess it tried to focus on too many things at the same time. It was a James episode but the cluttered pacing and content made it seem hamfisted. Moreover, Clemont was virtually useless in this despite escaping with James and Meowth.

thetamale

Changing the environment could more likely be a reference to Zygarde as it's dex entires say it unleashes its true power when people threaten the environment and with the discovery of Thousand Arrows and Thousand Waves a Pokemon Z and alternate Zygarde forms seem a distinct possibility. This could also be responsible for a delay in the revelation of Team Flare.

DasManiac

Why does everybody keep insisting the Malamar are connected to Team Flare? There's been no indication they are. In fact there's no indication Team Flare will ever appear in the anime. This episode made it clear that the Malamar work on their own.

Blood Red

【推しの子】
Changing the environment could more likely be a reference to Zygarde as it's dex entires say it unleashes its true power when people threaten the environment and with the discovery of Thousand Arrows and Thousand Waves a Pokemon Z and alternate Zygarde forms seem a distinct possibility. This could also be responsible for a delay in the revelation of Team Flare.

Good point, never thought of it. Maybe it'll tie in to the third version, whenever it comes out.

LizardonX

Banned
Yawn inducing TR filler is Yawn inducing TR filler.

Nothing of note happened, the Malamars were all bark and no bite, there was no real danger involved, and there was no inkay evolution.

2/10 because the bidoof scene and inkay's faces were at least funny

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I'm so tired of seeing croissants being eaten in XY; I get it, Kalos is based on France. James and Inkay's drama felt so forced and I wasn't impressed by the Malamar either; I simply wanted Team Flare to appear, but that didn't happen. Ash and the others as hostages made things bland as well. What a mediocre filler in my opinion.

Soniman

Break the Limit
I'm so tired of seeing croissants being eaten in XY; I get it, Kalos is based on France. James and Inkay's drama felt so forced and I wasn't impressed by the Malamar either; I simply wanted Team Flare to appear, but that didn't happen. Ash and the others as hostages made things bland as well. What a mediocre filler in my opinion.

Crossants were eaten like twice to my knowledge in the show's run so far, god forbid the show try to have some distinguishable culture for it's reigons? If it was just sandwihices i bet you wouldnt have even cared =/.

I also dont see how the James /Inkay stuff was forced at all considering they are the closest TR Member/Pokemon duo in XY so far, not to mention James goes through this kind of thing with a lot of his Pokemon (Cacnea, Weezing, etc) so I dont see how its so fored as it's right up his alley. Honestly if you were only watching an episode based on a hunch that was never even actually proven I dont know what to tell you, you were kinda setting yourself up for disappointment

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Really?? Inkay got nothing here writers??

*waits for him to get Hidden Power in another 100 episodes*...