• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Fad [One-Shot]

I clicked a link from someone's sig and ended up here (must have been NACHOE!'s). I'm 26 years old, played Pokemon Blue in early middle school with a group of friends - none of which play Pokemon anymore (and honestly I haven't talked to them since graduating High School in 2003).

Thanks for the read. I'm going to go snuggle up with my DS now and finish playing Black's storyline, all while thinking fondly of the "good ol' days". <3

EDIT: This is my first post on Serebii. I'm happy it was done on this thread.

It must have been his. He was very nice and put a link to this in his sig. :) Gracias, NACHOE. Blue was my first game too. You should all get together for a classic Poké-party (except maybe with a less corny, 90's-style advertisement name XD) to stir up old times.

I've heard that those games are pretty good callbacks to the ol' days, so hopefully you can mix the nostalgia with the new. :) I should really get around to buying those at some point. :/

Me too. Thanks for reading and I'm really glad you enjoyed it. :D

Bisasam

Bulbasaur
My first Pokémon game was actually Mystery Dungeon and my first main game Pearl. When I was a child, I never was into Pokémon although many others were.

Nevertheless, the story really touched me and brought tears to my eyes, not because of the connection to Pokémon, but to the overall message that the childhood is just the best time of your life, but that everything has to have an end.

One of the best fan fictions that I ever read.

Eptagos

I remember playing Pokemon Red when I was six. Where nobody cared about EVs, IVs, strong Pokemon, weak Pokemon, TMs/HMs, or even what starter Pokemon you chose. All they wanted was to see the magical effect of you defeating or catching your first Pokemon. We would sit on the bench on my porch and my classmates would play all day, they would exclaim "Oh my Gosh, a wild Caterpie!!!" Nowadays, they have changed, for example; "Scyther? That's so gay. Get better Pokemon, ***." Surprising how it had changed so much.

My first Pokémon game was actually Mystery Dungeon and my first main game Pearl. When I was a child, I never was into Pokémon although many others were.

Nevertheless, the story really touched me and brought tears to my eyes, not because of the connection to Pokémon, but to the overall message that the childhood is just the best time of your life, but that everything has to have an end.

One of the best fan fictions that I ever read.

Thank you. :) It's good to know that even if you don't have the same nostalgic feelings about the first generation as me, you can still enjoy the story.

This was really touching, it reminded me that most of the other kids just viewed it as a "fad" I always knew that it meant more to me than that. The imagery you used was very nice.

I also like how you managed to write something that would appeal to nearly everyone on this forum. (The obvious exception being people new to the Pokemon.)

It gave me lots to think about, nice job.

I wish I could say that I wrote this because I'm brilliant and I knew that this could appeal to the majority of Pokemon fans, but truthfully I really just wrote this for me. Although I do hope that those new fans can enjoy it too. Thanks for reading.

I remember playing Pokemon Red when I was six. Where nobody cared about EVs, IVs, strong Pokemon, weak Pokemon, TMs/HMs, or even what starter Pokemon you chose. All they wanted was to see the magical effect of you defeating or catching your first Pokemon. We would sit on the bench on my porch and my classmates would play all day, they would exclaim "Oh my Gosh, a wild Caterpie!!!" Nowadays, they have changed, for example; "Scyther? That's so gay. Get better Pokemon, ***." Surprising how it had changed so much.

It's pretty sad. Not only because I love Scyther, but because I really dislike specific training like that XD. I've tried it and it just seems to take the fun out of the game for me. Luckily, those who like it can utilize it and those who don't are free to ignore it.

TrainerJecht

Wow,that was an amazing read. I'm glad i found this on Nachoes Sig.

I've always been a fan of Pokemon, i can still remember those days where everyone you knew as a child had a gameboy with a pokemon game of their own. Battles and trades between friends were a daily occurrence, and the rest of the time was spent talking about it. It was like a common ground for all kids. I can actually remember becoming friends with kids who i had never met before, just because they had a pokemon shirt on or something.

It's quite ironic that lately i have been feeling very nostalgic, and a tad bit sad since most of my friends aren't into pokemon anymore. I just miss the craze ya know? I miss seeing toys at every store, i miss the constant chatter about it amongst friends, i miss getting so excited about a plushie in a pokeball from burger king, I miss it being so damn popular.

Anyway,i made an account on these forums just to post in this thread. Once again that was an amazing read that really touched me, thank you for allowing me to feel a bit of nostalgia and for showing me that others feel the same way i do.

Wow,that was an amazing read. I'm glad i found this on Nachoes Sig.

I've always been a fan of Pokemon, i can still remember those days where everyone you knew as a child had a gameboy with a pokemon game of their own. Battles and trades between friends were a daily occurrence, and the rest of the time was spent talking about it. It was like a common ground for all kids. I can actually remember becoming friends with kids who i had never met before, just because they had a pokemon shirt on or something.

It's quite ironic that lately i have been feeling very nostalgic, and a tad bit sad since most of my friends aren't into pokemon anymore. I just miss the craze ya know? I miss seeing toys at every store, i miss the constant chatter about it amongst friends, i miss getting so excited about a plushie in a pokeball from burger king, I miss it being so damn popular.

Anyway,i made an account on these forums just to post in this thread. Once again that was an amazing read that really touched me, thank you for allowing me to feel a bit of nostalgia and for showing me that others feel the same way i do.

I think the cards were really the big thing at my school, which was fine with me since I loved those pictures. :D I hardly ever played, but I really liked looking at everyone's cards.

I understand. It was fun to know that the Pokemon craze was everywhere and you could always find it and enjoy it.

Wow, thank you. :) That makes me feel great. I'm glad you enjoyed the story.

While this may not have been the most technically brilliant piece of literature I've ever read, it does manage to evoke just the kind of feeling you had in mind. Because a lot of us here have had our childhood practically defined by Pokémon, I think those nostalgic feelings can be brought up using very little words. I found myself constantly reflecting on my own childhood, and how Pokémon fit into it.
What you've done really well here, I think, is confronting that romantic, nostalgic feeling with a grim sense of reality. It's as if you tell the reader "hey remember this and that and this?" and then kind of corrupt, crush those memories with a cynical, realistic look on things. By doing that, it's as if you remind the reader (or at least me) that playtime's up, your childhood's at an end, it's time to move on. The very thing that has defined your early years must take a step back now.
Idk, maybe it's just me who interprets this story that way. The fact that I'm in the middle of my second year at University now and that everyone expects me to be the hardworking, grown up young man; and even more so the fact that I don't really (want to) recognise myself in this new 'me', probably has a lot to do with it.
I'm curious if you also had something like this in mind when writing this, or if it's only me who gets that message from this story.

Ugh, sorry for the long *** post btw ^^"
tl;dr - great job, hits home

Mei

I don't really have anything to say that hasn't been said already, but... wow. This is really, really good. I didn't discover Pokemon until the third generation, but I still feel somewhat nostalgic about the past, and this story really hit home. All the little details about his journey are simultaneously amusing and saddening. Well done.

While this may not have been the most technically brilliant piece of literature I've ever read, it does manage to evoke just the kind of feeling you had in mind. Because a lot of us here have had our childhood practically defined by Pokémon, I think those nostalgic feelings can be brought up using very little words. I found myself constantly reflecting on my own childhood, and how Pokémon fit into it.
What you've done really well here, I think, is confronting that romantic, nostalgic feeling with a grim sense of reality. It's as if you tell the reader "hey remember this and that and this?" and then kind of corrupt, crush those memories with a cynical, realistic look on things. By doing that, it's as if you remind the reader (or at least me) that playtime's up, your childhood's at an end, it's time to move on. The very thing that has defined your early years must take a step back now.
Idk, maybe it's just me who interprets this story that way. The fact that I'm in the middle of my second year at University now and that everyone expects me to be the hardworking, grown up young man; and even more so the fact that I don't really (want to) recognise myself in this new 'me', probably has a lot to do with it.
I'm curious if you also had something like this in mind when writing this, or if it's only me who gets that message from this story.

Ugh, sorry for the long *** post btw ^^"
tl;dr - great job, hits home

Haha well it was meant less as a giant middle finger to everyone's childhood and more as a (positive, actually, as sad as the whole story may seem) look back on all the fun that Pokemon has brought. The message wasn't exactly "It's over," but instead "It was fun while it lasted," which I think is really what you want to take away from any experience. And as you grow (which it seems you are), you keep the lessons you learned and apply them.

I'm glad you liked it. :) Good luck at University.

I don't really have anything to say that hasn't been said already, but... wow. This is really, really good. I didn't discover Pokemon until the third generation, but I still feel somewhat nostalgic about the past, and this story really hit home. All the little details about his journey are simultaneously amusing and saddening. Well done.

The third generation is actually a convenient to find Pokemon for reading this story, assuming you've played FireRed or LeafGreen (which, along with RSE, have already developed their own nostalgic memories for a lot of people, which I think is cool). I'm happy that, even though this specific strand of nostalgia might not directly apply to you, you could still enjoy it. Thank you for reading. ;)

floracat

Give me your food.
Oh, wow. I... I don't know what... to... say. First off, Diamond was my first game. Ever since then, I've been a devoted Pokemon fan. So, you're probably thinking that since I wasn't even born when the games came out, that this would mean alot less to me than those born in the 90's.

WRONG!!!!!!
Anyway, I've always wanted someone to play my games with. It's always been, me. In my school, Pokemon is "uncool" to those mean, snobbish popular kids, and everyone else believes them. I've always thought that Pokemon will always be that way. But after reading this story, I've realized, that Pokemon represents pure, childlike innocence. Pokemon was a fun, adventurous place to kids, and growing up took that innocence. And how, I don't want to lose that feeling either, and that's a fear I've had for a long time.

Does anyone know what the heck I'm talking about, and how in the world it relates with the story? I doubt it, no one ever does. Anyway, really fantastic story!

TrainerJecht

Oh, wow. I... I don't know what... to... say. First off, Diamond was my first game. Ever since then, I've been a devoted Pokemon fan. So, you're probably thinking that since I wasn't even born when the games came out, that this would mean alot less to me than those born in the 90's.

WRONG!!!!!!
Anyway, I've always wanted someone to play my games with. It's always been, me. In my school, Pokemon is "uncool" to those mean, snobbish popular kids, and everyone else believes them. I've always thought that Pokemon will always be that way. But after reading this story, I've realized, that Pokemon represents pure, childlike innocence. Pokemon was a fun, adventurous place to kids, and growing up took that innocence. And how, I don't want to lose that feeling either, and that's a fear I've had for a long time.

Does anyone know what the heck I'm talking about, and how in the world it relates with the story? I doubt it, no one ever does. Anyway, really fantastic story!

Hey there,i know how you feel. i remember having people to play with when i was around 7. As time went by,less and less of my friends seemed to care about Pokemon. It's saddens me. It's true that these days Pokemon is not popular anymore, at least not like it used to be, but that doesn't mean there aren't people who care about it. You just have to find the right group, sites such as this serve as a community/outlet for Pokemon fans such as ourselves. The people here share the same passion you do.

Also, even though we are growing up, it doesn't mean we can't carry things from our past with us. The memories and fun we had with Pokemon ( and still continue to have) will always be with us. Don't be bothered by what other people think. If you enjoy doing something then do it. Besides, i'm sure there are quite a few people who will still be enjoying Pokemon for a loooong time, me being one of them. xD

WRONG!!!!!!

I know what you mean. It's important to mature as you get older but I don't think you should have to lose all of the excitement and innocence that makes being a kid so much fun. I think Pokemon has become something that everyone can enjoy and even if it'll never quite be the same as it once was, in a way, it helps you enjoy the fun you once had when you were younger.

Anyway, I'm glad you liked it. :)

SnowyPiplup

Aren't I ADORABLE?
:'(

That was...that was beautiful. It left me with a barren sense of emptiness and sadness, and that seems basically the story of my life (minus the aspect I'm female and--sadly--not an cough*official*cough Pokemon Trainer).

I remember the days everyone in their brother was playing Pokemon on their DS's, and trading cards, and a couple of me and my buddies even RP'd some stuff, like how we were Legendaries trying to avoid gazes of humans.

That story is so true that it's heartbreaking...where did all the love go, the happiness, the innocence?

I know I'm only enforcing what everyone else is saying, but I do have something to add; no matter what, fad or not, I will always be a Pokemon fan forever. And you can count on that. :)

Excellent story, btw. Though I was't a fan from the beginning, it reached out to me. Bravo.

GalladeRocks

Son of a Beach
Wow, this really hit me. It's a beautifully crafted story, and it almost brought tears to my eyes. I rarely ever think about what might happen past a trainer's journey. You can always just restart the game and things happen again, just like clockwork. To imagine people like Oak, the guard, Bill, and even the player's mother moving on like this, and the world itself passing training and battling by...that's almost too much to handle. So I would say that this is a very awesome story, and incredibly original. Bravo!

:'(

That was...that was beautiful. It left me with a barren sense of emptiness and sadness, and that seems basically the story of my life (minus the aspect I'm female and--sadly--not an cough*official*cough Pokemon Trainer).

I remember the days everyone in their brother was playing Pokemon on their DS's, and trading cards, and a couple of me and my buddies even RP'd some stuff, like how we were Legendaries trying to avoid gazes of humans.

That story is so true that it's heartbreaking...where did all the love go, the happiness, the innocence?

I know I'm only enforcing what everyone else is saying, but I do have something to add; no matter what, fad or not, I will always be a Pokemon fan forever. And you can count on that. :)

Excellent story, btw. Though I was't a fan from the beginning, it reached out to me. Bravo.

Official as you ever can be. XD And it's good to know that some fans will be there forever. As long as people love it, it'll always be around.

Thanks for reviewing. :) Your post made me smile.

Wow, this really hit me. It's a beautifully crafted story, and it almost brought tears to my eyes. I rarely ever think about what might happen past a trainer's journey. You can always just restart the game and things happen again, just like clockwork. To imagine people like Oak, the guard, Bill, and even the player's mother moving on like this, and the world itself passing training and battling by...that's almost too much to handle. So I would say that this is a very awesome story, and incredibly original. Bravo!

I love stories that expand on canon (specifically the game canon) so this was really fun to write. And sometimes the sadder thoughts are the most interesting ones to write. So thank you for the compliments. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much.

Wow, that was...sad. [In a good way, of course, since I'm pretty sure that's the emotion you're trying to convey. =P]

I really like the way you describe things, which was important seeing as it's one of the central aspects of the story itself. The depressing way you describe Pallet Town was arguably better in conveying the emotion than the character himself, but that may be just me.

I'm kind-of put off by your ending, though, with the trainer reminiscing about Bill and the guard and the S.S. Anne Captain. As Breezy had said, they seem out-of-place from the whole thing, and it felt more like extensions rather than actual parts of the story. You already achieved the feeling of nostalgia with the trainer going around Pallet Town, so I don't think you needed it to take it further and describe other key points of the Kanto journey, especially since you didn't give as much focus on them as you did with Pallet Town.

A few other things:

She smiled from the plastic lawn sign as if nothing was wrong. As if the mere presence of her face wasn’t itself an atrocity.

I don't get who "she" and "her" is referring to. The house? The mom? Caroline Burnes?

at which he and his mother had talked every morning before he left to play or go school and every night after he returned, dirty and tired, was gone.

You're missing a "to".

One thing in the room remained. The old television set, rabbit ears and all, sat on the wooden floor.

It's kind-of contradictory since earlier on in this paragraph you say that "it was the first time he had seen it empty in his entire life". Maybe you mean empty in the sense that it wasn't as "full" as it used to be, but of course I'd assume that empty means nothing at all. Not really a mistake, just a bit confusing. XD

A house much nicer than his own, with nice looking people and a mean little boy.

I think those two words need to be hyphenated.

Overall, though, it's a nice one-shot. You brought out the emotions really well, and I admit I can relate to this as well since Yellow was my first game [that I played. Red was the first game I saw. XD] If this is how you write in a one-shot, then I should really be getting to see how you write in chaptered fics. :)

Real men keep fads alive. This reminds me of all the days I spent thinking Pokemon was over back in the 2000's, after I grew out of the cartoon, and not giving a **** about it. Now, it's my favorite game. Ironic, eh? I guess I'm a living example of Red's message at the end.

I salute you, Red. *cries manly tears of manly nostalgia*

Last edited:
I'm kind-of put off by your ending, though, with the trainer reminiscing about Bill and the guard and the S.S. Anne Captain. As Breezy had said, they seem out-of-place from the whole thing, and it felt more like extensions rather than actual parts of the story. You already achieved the feeling of nostalgia with the trainer going around Pallet Town, so I don't think you needed it to take it further and describe other key points of the Kanto journey, especially since you didn't give as much focus on them as you did with Pallet Town.

I can definitely see you guys' point, so I'm trying to work on another ending that doesn't include those specific memories. I have to admit, though, I kind of have a fondness for the ending I have now, so I'll have to write something I like even more before I replace it. ^^; I realize that sounds pretty douchey.

A few other things:
I don't get who "she" and "her" is referring to. The house? The mom? Caroline Burnes?
You're missing a "to".
It's kind-of contradictory since earlier on in this paragraph you say that "it was the first time he had seen it empty in his entire life". Maybe you mean empty in the sense that it wasn't as "full" as it used to be, but of course I'd assume that empty means nothing at all. Not really a mistake, just a bit confusing. XD
I think those two words need to be hyphenated.

All fixed (hopefully including the ones that aren't strictly grammar-related, since I kind of just worked with those until they made sense in my head XD ). :]

Overall, though, it's a nice one-shot. You brought out the emotions really well, and I admit I can relate to this as well since Yellow was my first game [that I played. Red was the first game I saw. XD] If this is how you write in a one-shot, then I should really be getting to see how you write in chaptered fics. :)

I'm actually working on one right now, so hopefully I can maintain that and eventually post it.

Thank you so much for the wonderful review. I'm glad you can relate and even happier you enjoyed it. :D

Real men keep fads alive. This reminds me of all the days I spent thinking Pokemon was over back in the 2000's, after I grew out of the cartoon, and not giving a **** about it. Now, it's my favorite game. Ironic, eh? I guess I'm a living example of Red's message at the end.

I salute you, Red. *cries manly tears of manly nostalgia*

Hell yeah we do! [/ubermanly]. I'm glad you came back around. People completely growing out of things makes me sad. :(

Haha, thanks for the review.

Grei

not the color
My gosh, what a beautifully nostalgic story. Great, great one-shot right here. It sets in reality and puts into perspective just how much times have changed.

I've been around for Pokemon since its early days. Crystal was my first game, but I still remember the fad's golden years and actively participated in the hype, and maybe not having a Pokemon game early on made the mystery that much deeper for me, making those memories that much more nostalgic.

I'm going to copy NACHOE! and put this into my signature (with credit to you, of course), if that's OK. I want everyone to read this.

My gosh, what a beautifully nostalgic story. Great, great one-shot right here. It sets in reality and puts into perspective just how much times have changed.

Thank you! I'm so glad you liked it.

I've been around for Pokemon since its early days. Crystal was my first game, but I still remember the fad's golden years and actively participated in the hype, and maybe not having a Pokemon game early on made the mystery that much deeper for me, making those memories that much more nostalgic.

It was quite a fun time. I can't imagine seeing in all the fun happening without a game to play along. But of course that would give you an even different sort of nostalgia about the whole thing. I know that even if I come into something a few years after it begins, the early years still make me nostalgic somehow. ;) Ex: 90s sitcoms. I was like five at the time they were airing so I obviously wasn't watching, but when I see their older episodes, I somehow get sad. xD

I'm going to copy NACHOE! and put this into my signature (with credit to you, of course), if that's OK. I want everyone to read this.

I would be honored. :) Thanks for the review!