• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Fad [One-Shot]

SteelArson

Nice story man, real nice. sad, but in a good way, i don't really know why but it is. =)

Anyways as far as pokemon never being real, yeah IRL it never will, but there's nothing stopping virtual reality creating a fully functional real time pokemon MMO universe.

I know the tech is comming and i'm planning on working my way into the industry to be able to create memories like the ones we have of pokemon for people of all ages. If i ever got the chance to wrok on a Pokemon universe, i would learn japanese, sell my house and move to japan to help out with the project, without giving it a second thought.

But then again, like your story and as much as i love pokemon, maybe ill just lose interest somewhere along the line, right now i don't imagine i ever will truely lose interest, but, as sad as it is, it's possible.

SteelArson

Nice story man, real nice. sad, but in a good way, i don't really know why but it is. =)

Anyways as far as pokemon never being real, yeah IRL it never will, but there's nothing stopping virtual reality creating a fully functional real time pokemon MMO universe.

I know the tech is comming and i'm planning on working my way into the industry to be able to create memories like the ones we have of pokemon for people of all ages. If i ever got the chance to wrok on a Pokemon universe, i would learn japanese, sell my house and move to japan to help out with the project, without giving it a second thought.

But then again, like your story and as much as i love pokemon, maybe ill just lose interest somewhere along the line, right now i don't imagine i ever will truely lose interest, but, as sad as it is, it's possible.

Vermehlo_Steele

Grand Arbiter II
wow, how's this for nostalgia? the first game I ever played was Pokemon Blue, way back in the year 2000 when I was 7 years old. I loved the first gen (I thought I was the only one who bought a lemonade for the guard, just to be sure), and the second and the third. But now, while I still like Pokemon, it's lost the 'grip' it had on me. I never understood why, but I think it's because I'm older now and, like your great piece, the world and myself have moved on.

I remember imagining if I were a trainer and I remember my friends and I all talking about this great fad during school.

This is great, thanks for evoking some fun memories.

Grei

not the color
[Imaginative]:[Clockwork];12850381 said:
It was quite a fun time. I can't imagine seeing in all the fun happening without a game to play along. But of course that would give you an even different sort of nostalgia about the whole thing.

It really was. And not having a game... actually enveloped me further into the fad, I think. I would play my friends' games whenever I went to their houses, and each play was sort of like a teaser. Now I wonder what it would have been like had I joined into the fad when most other people did. You're right, it definitely gives a different meaning to one's nostalgia, depending one how and why they were involved with it.

[Imaginative said:
:[Clockwork]]I know that even if I come into something a few years after it begins, the early years still make me nostalgic somehow. ;) Ex: 90s sitcoms. I was like five at the time they were airing so I obviously wasn't watching, but when I see their older episodes, I somehow get sad. xD

I agree! No matter what, the early years of a franchise or series are always great for the newcomer, because it's a brand new opening into an entirely new world. I suppose that's why this can appeal to everyone, really, because everyone who likes Pokemon has experienced the excitement of their respective early years.

[Imaginative said:
:[Clockwork]]I would be honored. :) Thanks for the review!

Sorry! I sort of added it to my signature without really waiting for your permission. Oops. :S

But thank you, for writing this!

ChaosMudkip

Tepig Hunter
This is the sixth thing ever to make me cry, the others being all pokemon-, pain-, or yawn-related. This brings back so many memories of when I was first introduced to Pokemon in Preschool and how much I pretended to be pokemon with my friends. My first game was Crystal, but I had been wanting pokemon games since 2 or 3 years before. I am an anime fan to this day. This draws up all of my feeling of sadness and anger at those who abandoned pokemon in the 3rd Gen.....excuse me. I have to go cry now.

Ha, that would definitely be interesting. Come to think of it, why hasn't anyone made that? :/ I want it now.

You should definitely get to work on that. ;) I'm not sure I would be willing to do the same, even if I knew what I was doing in that area.

I hope you can stick with it. I would imagine that the further you explore the more technical side, the passion for playing might be leave and be replaced by a passion for creating. Hopefully. xD

Thanks for the review!

wow, how's this for nostalgia? the first game I ever played was Pokemon Blue, way back in the year 2000 when I was 7 years old. I loved the first gen (I thought I was the only one who bought a lemonade for the guard, just to be sure), and the second and the third. But now, while I still like Pokemon, it's lost the 'grip' it had on me. I never understood why, but I think it's because I'm older now and, like your great piece, the world and myself have moved on.

I had Blue too! *high five* It's the same way for me. I haven't even bought HGSS yet, which are games I've been looking forward to for forever. It's sad to say, but I guess the awkwardness of buying a Pokemon game has finally outweighed my interest in playing them. Actually, I just woke up from a dream where I bought them, but that's not important. XP

I remember imagining if I were a trainer and I remember my friends and I all talking about this great fad during school.

This is great, thanks for evoking some fun memories.

I think Pokemon Trainer was among many, many lists of kids' dream careers back then (including mine). :) Thank you so much for reading.

It really was. And not having a game... actually enveloped me further into the fad, I think. I would play my friends' games whenever I went to their houses, and each play was sort of like a teaser. Now I wonder what it would have been like had I joined into the fad when most other people did. You're right, it definitely gives a different meaning to one's nostalgia, depending one how and why they were involved with it.

This is stupid, but I'm actually feeling a little nostalgic just imagining your situation. I was the exact opposite, though. My brother, my cousins, and I were always playing Pokemon together (up until the end of the 2nd generation) so I was very immersed in the fad. There are just so many things I remember about the games and so many key moments and it all just floods me with nostalgia. That feeling of happiness and sadness mixed together was what I really wanted to capture with this story.

I agree! No matter what, the early years of a franchise or series are always great for the newcomer, because it's a brand new opening into an entirely new world. I suppose that's why this can appeal to everyone, really, because everyone who likes Pokemon has experienced the excitement of their respective early years.

It would be very interesting to have, like, the 4th generation be your first and then "discover" all of the older games. I wonder if a person like that would like them or just think they're low-quality, boring old games. I know one of the biggest reasons I love the older games (and really anything from that time period) is because it was all during my childhood, so I can't imagine what someone who was born later would think of them.

Sorry! I sort of added it to my signature without really waiting for your permission. Oops. :S

But thank you, for writing this!

Lol, it's fine. You're welcome! And thank you again! XD

This is the sixth thing ever to make me cry, the others being all pokemon-, pain-, or yawn-related. This brings back so many memories of when I was first introduced to Pokemon in Preschool and how much I pretended to be pokemon with my friends. My first game was Crystal, but I had been wanting pokemon games since 2 or 3 years before. I am an anime fan to this day. This draws up all of my feeling of sadness and anger at those who abandoned pokemon in the 3rd Gen.....excuse me. I have to go cry now.

Aw, but I wanted to make people happy too! I hope they were at least somewhat happy tears. :') You should have demanded those 1st gen games! >:D I don't really watch the anime anymore, but my dream gift would be first season. Talk about nostalgia. I think the weird thing about the 3rd gen is, even though it lost a lot of fans, it was also a fresh start for the series, and became sort of a second 1st gen for a lot of little kids who had never played before, which is really nice. As annoyed as I was initially with RS (I wanted Kanto back. ;_; ), I have to admit that I have my own nostalgic memories of playing those now. That's also when I started peeking onto the internet to get Pokemon information, so there's just so much during that time that's Pokemon-related for me, it's hard to really dislike anything about the 3rd gen. Also, FRLG! :D

Haha, thanks for the review!

river-wolf

Onward to Kalos!
This is very well-written, and captures how I'm sure many of the "veteran" players such as myself feel thinking back to the very first games. Pallet Town was the perfect setting for this -- it brings back so many memories, probably more than anywhere else in the games. When I was messing around with the "Old Sounds/Music" thing on HG, and went to Pallet Town, I started tearing up. Sometimes you don't realize how much of an impact seemingly small things have on you until you look back at them.

This is very well-written, and captures how I'm sure many of the "veteran" players such as myself feel thinking back to the very first games. Pallet Town was the perfect setting for this -- it brings back so many memories, probably more than anywhere else in the games. When I was messing around with the "Old Sounds/Music" thing on HG, and went to Pallet Town, I started tearing up. Sometimes you don't realize how much of an impact seemingly small things have on you until you look back at them.

Yeah, I thought Pallet Town was really the only place it could be. I mean, Pallet Town is the beginning of everything so where else could it be? I always thought that Old Sounds thing was a really cool feature in those games and (if I ever bought them ._____. ) I would probably be using that a lot, just for the sake of nostalgia. xD Thanks for the review!

I think it's time for me to move this thing to the Completed Fics section, so I'll be PMing a mod as soon as I post this. :) I honestly can't believe that this one-shot got so many reviews and touched so many people and I'm really grateful for all of you reviewing and sharing your memories and allowing me to share mine. I got excited every time I saw someone had brought this back from the dead since it meant I could relive the old days for just a little longer. However, I also think that everything that could be said has been said. I just hope that someday, someone will read this again after it's in the completed section, and maybe get inspired to start writing (which, incidentally, is a very similar situation to how I got started writing).

But I've gone on long enough. Thank you all so much for everything. :)