• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Fainting and Passing Out

Nyter

Island Challenger
But when you faint, do you black out and then close your eyes? or do you blurr out before you close your eyes?

Bhatman

Chilled Hottie
I pass out everyday due to lack of sleep, but the good thing is that when I do go to sleep, I pass out to Pink Floyd's four amazing songs (Echoes, Comfortably Numb, Coming Back To Life and Learning To Fly)

Being tired like a dog + Pink Floyd = FRAKING AMAZING.

Nyter

Island Challenger
Yeah is you pass out right after hearing or witnessing some epic stuff, most likely you will dream of it.

Pokemom

TCG Gym Leader, Ret.
Regardless of "fainting" or "blacking out" it's all SYNCOPE and anyone who has experienced one needs to be fully evaluated for cardiac and neurological issues.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syncope_(medicine)

FWIW: vasovagal simply means something stopped the blood from flowing properly through you; either to your heart or your brain. It could also be a nerve issue or even something spinal (my sister dropped out for 4 hours in the horse pasture alone at the farm - turns out she had Meningitis), but blood is more common.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasovagal_response

I'm a First Responder with 7 different certifications including Sports Medicine so believe me when I say the EMTs should never have told you that. It was reasonable given the circumstances, but they lack both the time and the equipment to make a formal/proper diagnosis. The immediate "at scene" care is the same, regardless, but snap Dx like that has a nasty habit of putting the patient on the wrong track down the line.

I've fainted twice. Once in fourth grade that I don't remember what happened. I also fainted last month in science class. I fainted because I have a heart problem and my heart rate went up really high, then dropped really low in short amount of time. I was reading the science textbook, and my head felt heavy, and my vision went black. I went out, fell off my chair, hit my head on the desk and got a concussion. One of my friends thought I was dead. o_O I'm not allowed to have PE because my concussion STILL isn't healed. :(

With a known cardiac issue you should be permanently exempt from PE and all competitive sports. Too many kids are dropping dead on the field for undiagnosed conditions to risk one known to have such.

I dropped out running laps with my soccer team in the 7th grade (middle school) and we chalked it up to heat exhaustion - Florida in August and I was only out for maybe 2-3 minutes. It wasn't until nearly 5 years later that a doctor finally sent me for a workup (I was having "stamina issues", again with soccer). Turns out I have not 1, but TWO heart conditions. Both mild, and neither requires medication, but they are no less dangerous. My school freaked out over PE and also tried to kick me out of JROTC (after I already completed 1 1/2 years of it). We swapped Band for PE, but almost had to sue over modifications to JROTC PT. I gave up a LOT of sports, but I refused to give up my horses. I well knew the risks to me if I fell off, but ... if you know how badly horses can get in your system you'll know why I couldn't step down - it's hard to explain to a non-horsey person. 6 years later I was also diagnosed with an atypical seizure disorder and in the year after that a form of muscular dystrophy. 2 years later I got certified for Emergency Response; the only difference between me and an Ambulance EMT is that I can't intubate or run an IV (I CAN deliver a baby, fwiw).

Do not ignore dropping out just because you were dehydrated or hot or overtired. That's a mistake that might cost you Big.

Aegon

I've fainted twice; both were due to great heat. I don't go particularly well with overly-hot days. It's not a nice feeling. :/
I vomitted, then fainted and fell in my vomit. This happened 3 ttimes repeatedly.
I laughed. I'm such a horrible person.

Last edited:

☭Secret_Shocker☭

Wonder how fainting feels? I only saw one do so once in my life. Although I almost fainted due to extreme fatigue, but luckily I didn't so... nice.

G50

No longer posting
In many cases as soon as you wake up after passing out, you feel confused, more dizzy, and exahusted. Other times you feel fine.

Mister_SGG

Once my friend passed out when he got a vaccination at school. He hit his chin against a table when he fell, and we called him Chris Neil for a month and a half.

D

Deleted member 300066

My friend's sister passed out in class once... Only passing out I've ever been remotely related to.

coolminun

Banned
I've fainted before. I was really sick and was walking out of the kitchen after trying to wash the dishes. All I remember before passing out was seeing the floor and hearing a crash. I woke up with a pool of blood leaking from my busted lip and sodas knocked aside.

Profesco

gone gently
I'm pretty glad to read Pokemom's response to this thread. It's also quite an honor to hear a stance on this topic from a professional who deals with the matter on the job. =D

I don't think I've ever either fainted or passed out, and I certainly take care not to do either now or in the future. Even when not underlied by serious cardiac or neurological problems, both fainting and passing out are the brain's/body's way of telling you something is extremely wrong with you.

This is why I am so critical of the alcohol culture of adolescence. I can't fathom what's going through the minds of the kids who say "I passed out at last night's party and woke up totally wrecked - I can't remember a thing. What a great night!" And the stupid part is that neither can the ones who say it.

In a pinch, I place significant blame on pop-cultural "icons" (as if such figures actually deserved a title that carries any implications of dignity or admirability) as Ke$ha, Lil' Wayne, and all the other musical rebels who manage to con insecure and impressionable young adults into placing positive social value on all things illicit and irresponsible.

Little_Pikachu

With Action Amusing!
I've had a couple of episodes, the first was when I was at work (at Burger King, go on, laugh it up, I'm a supervisor of a government quango now). I'd been feeling almost drunk all day, but I hadn't had any alcohol, then suddenly I just remember just feeling so dizzy and my head was spinning, next thing I knew I was in an ambulance. Someone stole my hat when I fell :\ I mean, how terrible is that, someone faints, potentially might be dead, and instead of helping them "Hey, cool, I got me a BK cap!".

I had tests and stuff afterwards because I'd been perfectly healthy with no family history of fainting, and they could never put their finger on an actual cause so put it down to some form of epilepsy (which is stupid if you know how many hours I've spent inches away from every flashy seizure inducing video game you can think of).

The next time anything happened I was actually in bed asleep, so I don't know if it counts as fainting, but I was with my boyfriend and apparently I must have had some kind of seizure while I was asleep. I've never had anything apart from those 2 instances, although recently I've been getting random dizzy spells for no apparent reason... Oh well.

blackterminator3

I have fainted 4 times in my lifetime. The first time I fainted cause I use to starve myself to keep myself skinny which was a bad idea. The second time I fainted was when I at the park when I was 14 years old due to dehydration and someone drove me home. The third time I fainted was during a horror movie. The last time I fainted was 3 weeks ago when I was at the store once again hydrated and due to my low eating.

I have passed out one time out of my life is on the Date of December 21st 2011. I was at this Christmas Party for the neighborhood committee, I drunk like 2 giant cups of whine and I passed, more like blacked out cause of the drunk level I was at.

Pokemom

TCG Gym Leader, Ret.
I've had a couple of episodes, the first was when I was at work (at Burger King, go on, laugh it up, I'm a supervisor of a government quango now). I'd been feeling almost drunk all day, but I hadn't had any alcohol, then suddenly I just remember just feeling so dizzy and my head was spinning, next thing I knew I was in an ambulance. Someone stole my hat when I fell :\ I mean, how terrible is that, someone faints, potentially might be dead, and instead of helping them "Hey, cool, I got me a BK cap!".

I had tests and stuff afterwards because I'd been perfectly healthy with no family history of fainting, and they could never put their finger on an actual cause so put it down to some form of epilepsy (which is stupid if you know how many hours I've spent inches away from every flashy seizure inducing video game you can think of).

The next time anything happened I was actually in bed asleep, so I don't know if it counts as fainting, but I was with my boyfriend and apparently I must have had some kind of seizure while I was asleep. I've never had anything apart from those 2 instances, although recently I've been getting random dizzy spells for no apparent reason... Oh well.

That does sound like Seizures with Aura. Not every Seizure disorder is Epilepsy, though, nor are all seizures photoleptic (triggered by flashing lights). Depending on age it could be a Juvenile type and those carry the hope of someday "outgrowing" them. (Watch out for "ADD non-hyper"/"Inattentive-type ADHD" in kids...too many of them are actually Absence Seizures misdiagnosed)

Sleep Seizures are fairly uncommon and with the dizzy spells recurring I would strongly suggest you find a neurologist trained in unusual seizure disorders.

One thing a lot of people don't realize is that sleep walking, sleep talking, night terrors, and sneezing when you step into the sun are all forms of seizure disorders. Except for the risk of walking outside into traffic, they are all also usually benign.

Yata

The Prophet
More I've never fainted, but I'm diabetic, so when my blood sugar oss too low I feel like I'm going to pass out the room kind of spins and I get really tired and confused. But that didn't happen to me often. Now if passing out from drunkenness I've been there before...

Grovyl

Who dun dug diglett?
Today some guy in my Algebra class said if you squat down, breathe in and out real short, heavy, and fast, and then blow with your thumb in your mouth you'll pass out. I tried, but it didn't work.