• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Fairy-type Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AceOfSpadez

I Am The Law
I don't think a pokemons weight has anything to do with it being weak to Grass.

Correct. The weight is a factor for Grass damage dealing moves, like for instance Grass Knot.

pokenoob

Maby eevee steps into a fairy ring to evolve!

AceOfSpadez

I Am The Law
Maby eevee steps into a fairy ring to evolve!

Probably by the new Pokemon interaction thing GF introduced at E3. I forgot what it was called.

kadabrium

source: http://tieba.baidu.com/p/2404858638?pn=1

It has been observed that Fairy Wind dealt 100 damage in the Japanese trailer:
dc54564e9258d109ded2ab19d058ccbf6c814d63.jpg
According to Smogon[1], the damage calculation formula is
Damage Formula = (((((((Level × 2 ÷ 5) + 2) × BasePower × [Sp]Atk ÷ 50) ÷ [Sp]Def) × Mod1) + 2) ×
CH × Mod2 × RN ÷ 100) × STAB × Type1 × Type2 × Mod3)
where the random number modifier is before the type effectiveness modifier.

Before every modifier the number is rounded down, so here we would see :
[Initial damage x RN] x STAB x type = damage
where "initial damage" is a whole number before the RN multiplier. "initial damage x RN" is also a whole number.
For a 2-times super effective move to do around 100 damage, we estimate the "initial damage x RN" to be 32-34
However
32x1.5x2=96
33x1.5(rounded down)x2=98
34x1.5x2=102
That is, it is always impossible for a STAB, 2-time super effective to do 100 damage.

But when fairy is 4 times super effective against Hydreigon i.e. fairy is super effective against dark
16x1.5x4=96
17x1.5(rounded down)x4=100
which are exactly the damages dealt in the English and Japanese trialers, respectively.

So it is expected that Fairy will be super effective against dark.

[1]Smogon damage formula:http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/damage_formula

AceOfSpadez

I Am The Law
Your speculation that Fairy is effective against Dark makes sense considering that Fairy is the embodiment of light and a form of that "Light Type" people have speculated in the past.

storm12

Weather Bearer
Light type IMO is an even dumber idea than Sound type, Light type is basically Electric type. & Dark's opposite is Fighting because in Japanese they are known as Hero & Evil type.

Anywayyyyyyyy...

I'm sorry, I couldn't ignore how erroneous this is- Fighting type, is just Fighting type. In NO language does it carry any connotations of heroism, it only implies battle, combat and fighting; creatures that have learned to use their limbs and/or other body parts in a disciplined manner in combat- it doesn't make then heroic or 'good'- just able to pull of attacks that say, other types Like Normal do not have the technique or discipline to use (I know Normal pokemon can learn Fighting moves, I'm on about Normal type moves compared to Fighting type moves)

In a certain way, Dark types are a kind of counterpart but not in the way you put it- Dark types use 'dirty' tactics, they do not play by any rules- willing to bite, steal and taunt to win a battle. This, however, is perhaps why these pokemon are weak to Fighting type moves, as their lack of discipline and focus makes them more susceptible to Fighting type moves, which are a honed art; compared to a Dark type gnawing on someone.

The Dark/Evil thing is also a bit crazy- because if anything, Evil, though being the closest translation from the original language, seems more of a misnomer than its man translations. Evil is in many ways contradictory, as pokemon are portrayed as neutral creatures that cannot be labeled with moral signifiers such as 'Good' or 'Evil'- even if their trainer's are as such. There doesn't need to be types that are opposites or counterparts though, they just have certain matchups that seem more significant than others. If anything, I see Psychic as a better 'counterpart' to Fighting, because one is honing the abilities of the mind and other of the body (and to some extent, the 'soul'... for certain pokemon)

Bleh Bleh- Fairy type is nice :) Hopefully it will be strong on Fighting types as they only have two weaknesses- with Flying being a hard type to land STAB damage because of the dangers Flying types face in battle :S similar to Psychic too actually.

Last edited:

Zobiris

This calculation would suggest, that Fairy Wind is 30 Base Power, which is surprisingly low. I honestly don't like the idea of Hydreigon being 4 times weak to Fairy at all, but it matches the Pokebeach rumors...
But that math convinced me (I noticed, this is the Gen 4 damage formula, were there any changes in later generations?)

DCFan

The Flame Jacobite

View attachment 9539
Damage Formula = (((((((Level × 2 ÷ 5) + 2) × BasePower × [Sp]Atk ÷ 50) ÷ [Sp]Def) × Mod1) + 2) ×

where "initial damage" is a whole number before the RN multiplier. "initial damage x RN" is also a whole number.
For a 2-times super effective move to do around 100 damage, we estimate the "initial damage x RN" to be 32-34
However
32x1.5x2=96
34x1.5x2=102
That is, it is always impossible for a STAB, 2-time super effective to do 100 damage.

But when fairy is 4 times super effective against Hydreigon i.e. fairy is super effective against dark
16x1.5x4=96
which are exactly the damages dealt in the English and Japanese trialers, respectively.

That makes a lot of sense..but it sucks because if i use Chespin..then it will not be useful in the first two Gyms in the game ( Also if Fighting is correct that's 3 gyms Chespin is not useful in)

Rakurai

View attachment 9539

However
32x1.5x2=96
34x1.5x2=102

16x1.5x4=96

Thing is, nobody even knows what the offensive and defensive stats of the two Pokemon involved in that scenario is, nor do we know what Fairy Wind's base power is. I'm pretty sure you can't get an accurate number without knowledge of those factors.

Though assuming they have zero IVs and EVs (Which is what their HP stats imply), a neutral nature, and Fairy Wind has a BP of 40 (The standard number for the weakest moves of each type), it would do much more then the amount of damage it did if it was 4X effective, according to an actual damage calculator.

Last edited:

LusterPurge

Victory Star
Personally I find Psychic type more on the use of psionic abilities while I associate Fairy type more on the arcane use of magic.

This is exactly what I depict it as. It makes the most sense in a spectrum of elemental abilities for psionic and arcane magic to be included

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl

View attachment 9539

However
32x1.5x2=96
34x1.5x2=102

16x1.5x4=96

The Hydreigons HP in the trailer was 52/152 not 56/152. Photoshop always their!

unless I missed something.

Edit: Lawl my bad, didn't see the image below.

Marowik

The Dark Glacier
I hate how people say Fairy-Type sucks because a Jigglypuff shouldn't take down a Salamence. It probably won't. But Gardevoir can. What about Sylveon? Are they saying an Eeveelution shouldn't either? Did they forget Glaceon?

Rant aside, I hope that an Imp, Ogre, Troll, and Giant are all Fairy-Type Pokemon, just to show that Fairy-Type isn't necessarily girly.

Rakurai

Fairy simply being super effective against dragons doesn't mean that they'll be able to counter them effectively. That's going to depend largely on what the type ends up being weak and resistant to.

If it does end up being immune to Dragon and only weak against Poison and Steel, however, they're going to be extremely problematic, since not only do most dragons lack any decent moves of those two types, using one of them will generally force them to sacrifice something that provides much better type coverage.

I'm personally just going to start packing a Scizor on my team if that happens to be the case.

Lord Zoroark

Master Tactician
Fairy simply being super effective against dragons doesn't mean that they'll be able to counter them effectively. That's going to depend largely on what the type ends up being weak and resistant to.

If it does end up being immune to Dragon and only weak against Poison and Steel, however, they're going to be extremely problematic, since not only do most dragons lack any decent moves of those two types, using one of them will generally force them to sacrifice something that provides much better type coverage.

I'm personally just going to start packing a Scizor on my team if that happens to be the case.

Scizor? Why not Metagross? Bullet Punch, Meteor Mash, a TRUCKING Attack stat, decent bulk, and a (rumored) Fairy resistance, to boot.

Anyway, about that earlier calculation about Fairy Wind... well, we can't make any judgments until we actually know Fairy Wind's Base Power. It could be DOUBLE what was calculated. WE don't know until we get confirmation. So... yeah.

LeoP2008

Trainer/Coordinator
Is it weird that I'm excited for Fairy Arceus?? :p

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Is it weird that I'm excited for Fairy Arceus?? :p

Oh wow, that thought didn't even cross my mind. It's quite interesting, now that I think of it. They'll probably just add another plate like no big deal, but other than that, I guess there's not much to think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.