• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Fairy-type Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
Haha, yes, I have nothing but sympathy for poor old Snover. Snow Warning is its only redeeming quality in the game. In any other case, people would recognise its shed load of weaknesses (Seven! Seven!), all of which are pretty common which means that basically any Pokemon can hit it for neutral damage, and all but a few for super-effective damage. A shame that.

Yes. I of course feel bad for Snow Warning itself. Stuck on such a sadly weak pokemon....
I just hope that no other types or type combinations become like this because of fairy type.

DCFan

The Flame Jacobite
Haha, yes, I have nothing but sympathy for poor old Snover. Snow Warning is its only redeeming quality in the game. In any other case, people would recognise its shed load of weaknesses (Seven! Seven!), all of which are pretty common which means that basically any Pokemon can hit it for neutral damage, and all but a few for super-effective damage. A shame that.

I still think the Idea of a Grass/Ice Pokemon but it should either have a OP Ability or be a Legendary..

freezer1

Ice-type Fanatic
Yes. I of course feel bad for Snow Warning itself. Stuck on such a sadly weak pokemon....
I just hope that no other types or type combinations become like this because of fairy type.

Snow Warning could be great on different Pokemon. Perhaps they can introduce it to others!

On the subject of weather, this might seem a bit wild, but what if perhaps Moonlight turned into a Fairy-type weather condition for 5 turns like Sunny Day, Rain Dance, etc. Boosts Fairy-type moves on the field, Solarbeam and Morning Sun are rendered useless, and some other effects. Or instead of powering up Fairy-type moves, Moonlight could restore a small amount of HP each turn to Fairy-types.

bolter1

Swampert Trainer
On the subject of weather, this might seem a bit wild, but what if perhaps Moonlight turned into a Fairy-type weather condition for 5 turns like Sunny Day, Rain Dance, etc. Boosts Fairy-type moves on the field, Solarbeam and Morning Sun are rendered useless, and some other effects. Or instead of powering up Fairy-type moves, Moonlight could restore a small amount of HP each turn to Fairy-types.
Moonlight is basically a moon-based counterpart of Morning Sun though, so if it were to change (have they ever just outright completely changed everything about a move save for it's name?), the same would happen to Morning Sun, but the only weather that would make sense for Morning Sun is sun, but we already have a move for that. And, Moonlight can be kind of seen as Umbreon's signature move (although not really signature) since in Gen II, Morning Sun was Espeon's and in Gen III Umbreon was able to learn Moonlight at the same level as Espeon learns Morning Sun. If Moonlight were to be switched in the way you have proposed, it would be disatarous on Umbreon if Fairy is indeed SE against Dark since Umbreon would have a move that helps a type that it is weak to. Besides, I don't believe that all moon-related moves have to be associated with Fairy just because we have seen one moon-related move that's Fairy type. That'd be like saying everything having to do with claws has to be Dragon since Dragon Claw involves claws.

regidude

Frontier Conqueror
Snow Warning could be great on different Pokemon. Perhaps they can introduce it to others!

I was thinking that moonlight would be retyped to fairy, seeing as moonblast is a fairy move. But then you wonder why Umbreon, the moonlight pokemon wasn't a fairy type. But Umbreon better learn Moonblast, I mean it's the moonlight pokemon. I hope gamefreak doesn't pull another "Tornadus cannot learn fly" on us.

EDIT: Sort of Ninja'd

josh352

Everyone is debating pink=girly, and I am here thinking about how scientists still don't know if the color actually exist. Apparently pink is made up of red and purple, two colors that are at opposite ends of the spectrum and can't possibly interact. Our brain just made up the color, which wouldn't be the first time our brain tricked us( it seems very fond of doing this lol).

Heck, one scientist even went as far to say why not include the entire spectrum. Technically our brain is just perceiving wavelengths. Who is to say that the other colors aren't a figment of our imagination.

I personally love the new type, which is now my second favorite type-second to water, of course. I just hope Gramefreak doesn't shy away from the folklore and mythology. :)

freezer1

Ice-type Fanatic
Moonlight is basically a moon-based counterpart of Morning Sun though, so if it were to change (have they ever just outright completely changed everything about a move save for it's name?), the same would happen to Morning Sun, but the only weather that would make sense for Morning Sun is sun, but we already have a move for that. And, Moonlight can be kind of seen as Umbreon's signature move (although not really signature) since in Gen II, Morning Sun was Espeon's and in Gen III Umbreon was able to learn Moonlight at the same level as Espeon learns Morning Sun. If Moonlight were to be switched in the way you have proposed, it would be disatarous on Umbreon if Fairy is indeed SE against Dark since Umbreon would have a move that helps a type that it is weak to. Besides, I don't believe that all moon-related moves have to be associated with Fairy just because we have seen one moon-related move that's Fairy type. That'd be like saying everything having to do with claws has to be Dragon since Dragon Claw involves claws.

I forgot Umbreon was the first to access Moonlight; what you say makes perfect sense. Just a suggestion, as I thought that Moonlight might become a Fairy-type move, especially with perhaps Volbeat/Illumise becoming Fairy and also having access to Moonlight. I thought it might be interesting to have another weather condition.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
This is also true. Grass and Ice are probably the two most broken types in the game. I mean look at Snover. Poor Snover.

Broken means overpowered.

Grass is fine, it's niche is being a stallish type while checking the Water/Ground/Electric triangle. Heck Generation V introduced a bunch of Grass types with unique niches such as:

Serperior: Contrary + Leaf Storm and a great Sub Seeder
Maractus: Spiker in the Sun with Chlorophyll
Lilligant: Quiver Dance + Sleep Powder
Whimsicott: Prankster + tons of support moves
Ferrothorn: Checks about every Water type ever.
Sawsbuck: Sun Sweeper (deadly in STABmons!)
Amoongus: Spore abuser + great VGC mon
Virizion: Dual screener + Calm Mind sweeper + Swords Dance Sweeper

Even Growth, a move distributed to mostly Grass types got a boost with now +1 in both Attack and Sp Attack and is boosted even furthur with the Sun out. Drought Ninetales was a blessing because it helped a number of the Grass types get a boost from even past generations like Tangrowth and Leafeon (DW) w/ Chlorophyll and Venasaur with its DW ability. Exeggutor gets a mention for more help with free Sun for Harvest. I'm also positive about almost of us has encountered a Breloom sometime as it gets Spore and a great secondary STAB. Leech Seed is also a niche-like move that helps Grass stall better than just poisoning something.

Personally instead of Grass having another offensive coverage/resistance against Fairy, moves and abilities can instead fill the role for an improvement of Grass like how Bug was treated in Gen V.

Now, allow me to educate you (in as much as I can bothered since it's morning and I'm having breakfast). Contrary to what Disney have done, Faeries have not been "girly" little beings made for good. Faeries are actually tricksters, demons who trick humans. They're more than just pixies but they include such things as Gargoyles, Grotesques etc.

At the risk of accusing Game Freak of creative laziness, I think we can expect them to base their Fairy-types off of "Disney" fairies more often than those of medieval folklore. It's Pokémon, not A Song of Ice and Fire. There are plenty of Pokémon with complex, well-researched inspirations... although since many of these are from Japanese folklore and pop culture they might be more common knowledge to the designers than I'd think. I wouldn't be surprised to see one Fairy/Dark-type based off a gargoyle or the Puck of English folklore, but we can expect the Fairy-type to more often reflect modern pop culture's image of fairies. Kind of like how the design of every golem-inspired Pokémon doesn't stick too closely to the original nineteenth-century depiction of golems.

For that matter, there was little reason to expect every Fairy-type to resemble a fairy, "Disney" or otherwise. That would be like expecting all Grass-types to resemble grass, when so many resemble flowers, trees, or shrubs. Or saying that Drifblim shouldn't be Flying-type because it doesn't fly, it floats. "Grass" simply evokes plants, or in some cases even fungi. "Flying" evokes sky-dwelling or airborne. (Then there's Archen, which is Flying-type, yet isn't sky-dwelling, can't get airborne, but does have wings.)

Likewise, "Fairy" doesn't mean fairy-like so much as stereotypically girly, or something girls would stereotypically like, or anything associated with girliness; cute, pink, fluffy, graceful. The kind of Pokémon you'd expect a Lass to use. Why did they label these characteristics "Fairy?" Because they are often found in pop culture "Disney" fairies, and pop culture "Disney" fairies are popular with girls. Take a look at Clefairy and Snubbull. The only fairy-based evolutionary line in Generation I happens to be cute, pink and fluffy.

And although Snubbull isn't confirmed to be Fairy-type, its species is Fairy Pokémon. Why? First, it's pink. Second, multiple Pokédex entries state that it's popular with women.

I mean look at the Fairy-types we have. Which actually look like the "girly" fairy you think

Marill - No
Gardevoir - No
Jigglypuff - No
Xerneas - Hell no
Sylveon - No
Flabébé - As close as we'll get, but no
Spritzee - No
Swirlix - No

Narrowing it down to which look like a "'girly' fairy" would be like seeing which Grass-types look like grass, rather than which Grass-types are plant-like. Let's look at which of them follow the "Fairy" characteristics I outlined. It can be a "'girly' fairy," or any combination of cute, pink, fluffy, or graceful.

Marill - Cute
Gardevoir - Graceful, and, I think, a "Disney" fairy
Jigglypuff - Cute, Pink
Xerneas - Graceful
Sylveon - Cute, Pink, Graceful
Flabébé - Cute and, as you say, close to a "'girly' fairy"
Spritzee - Pink, Fluffy
Swirlix - Cute, Pink, Fluffy

(Also, while Xerneas's antlers imply that it's male, this doesn't make it any less "girly." A male unicorn or a male dolphin should be just as appealing to a stereotypical girl than a female of either.)

In short, if you have a problem with stereotypical gender roles, blame Game Freak for intentionally perpetuating them, not the people who acknowledge that gender roles are the conceptual basis of the Fairy-type (and so much else in the series). It's intellectually dishonest.

regidude

Frontier Conqueror
Broken means overpowered.

Grass is fine, it's niche is being a stallish type while checking the Water/Ground/Electric triangle. Heck Generation V introduced a bunch of Grass types with unique niches such as:

Serperior: Contrary + Leaf Storm and a great Sub Seeder
Maractus: Spiker in the Sun with Chlorophyll
Lilligant: Quiver Dance + Sleep Powder
Whimsicott: Prankster + tons of support moves
Ferrothorn: Checks about every Water type ever.
Sawsbuck: Sun Sweeper (deadly in STABmons!)
Amoongus: Spore abuser + great VGC mon
Virizion: Dual screener + Calm Mind sweeper + Swords Dance Sweeper

Even Growth, a move distributed to mostly Grass types got a boost with now +1 in both Attack and Sp Attack and is boosted even furthur with the Sun out. Drought Ninetales was a blessing because it helped a number of the Grass types get a boost from even past generations like Tangrowth and Leafeon (DW) w/ Chlorophyll and Venasaur with its DW ability. Exeggutor gets a mention for more help with free Sun for Harvest. I'm also positive about almost of us has encountered a Breloom sometime as it gets Spore and a great secondary STAB. Leech Seed is also a niche-like move that helps Grass stall better than just poisoning something.

Personally instead of Grass having another offensive coverage/resistance against Fairy, moves and abilities can instead fill the role for an improvement of Grass like how Bug was treated in Gen V.

That's fine too as long as things like bellossom, meganium, cherrim get boosts, mainly grass types from generations other than gen 5. FYI contrary snivy is not out yet.

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
That's fine too as long as things like bellossom, meganium, cherrim get boosts, mainly grass types from generations other than gen 5. FYI contrary snivy is not out yet.

I agree with this guy. Grass has some niches, but except for very few, most people do not expect a pure grass type to sweep teams. And if I 'meant' OP, I would have 'said' OP.

NadeShiko9

Fluffeh!!!
Pokemon I think could be Fairy Types:
Farfetch'd, Chansey, Jynx, Ledian, Pichu, Pikachu, Raichu, Flaffy, Ampharos, Bellossom, Politoad, Hoppip, Aipom, Sunflora, Wobbuffet, Snubbull, Stantler, Smeargle, Smoochum, Dunsparce, Celebi, Shroomish, Whismur, Skitty, Mawile, Plusle, Minum, Volbeat, Illumise, Roselia, Spoink, Spinda, Castform, Kecleon, Wynaut, Gorebyss, Jirachi, Cherubi, Buneary, Mismagius, Happiny, Munchlax, Togepi, Frolass, Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf, Cresselia, Phione, Arceua, Pansage, Pansear, Panpour, Munna, Audino, Lilligant, Maractus, Zorua, Minccino, Gothita, Deerling, Meinfoo, and Meloetta

~ I didn't add all Post Evos. (If pre-evolution isn't there, I don't think it'll be a fairy Type till it evolves)
*Went thru my Pokedex 3D*

Last edited:

regidude

Frontier Conqueror
Farfetch'd, Chansey, Jynx, Ledian, Pichu, Pikachu, Raichu, Flaffy, Ampharos, Bellossom, Politoad, Hoppip, Aipom, Sunflora, Wobbuffet, Snubbull, Stantler, Smeargle, Smoochum, Celebi, Shroomish, Whismur, Skitty, Mawile, Plusle, Minum, Volbeat, Illumise, Roselia, Spoink, Spinda, Castform, Kecleon, Wynaut, Gorebyss, Jirachi, Cherubi, Buneary, Mismagius, Happiny, Munchlax, Togepi, Frolass, Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf, Cresselia, Phione, Arceua, Pansage, Pansear, Panpour, Munna, Audino, Lilligant, Maractus, Zorua, Minccino, Gothita, Deerling, Meinfoo, and Meloetta

~ I didn't add all Post Evos. (If pre-evolution isn't there, I don't think it'll be a fairy Type till it evolves)

That's a lot of fairy types O_O! I just want things that are not widely used and need the boost, to get the fairy type, like Cherrim, Bellosom, Glalie, Dunsparce, Clefable, Mawile, Delcatty etc.

freezer1

Ice-type Fanatic
I think most Moon Stone evolvers will become Fairy-type. If Nidoqueen and Nidoking weren't already dual-typed, I think people would be speculating they would become Fairy-type too.

Naito

Farfetch'd, Chansey, Jynx, Ledian, Pichu, Pikachu, Raichu, Flaffy, Ampharos, Bellossom, Politoad, Hoppip, Aipom, Sunflora, Wobbuffet, Snubbull, Stantler, Smeargle, Smoochum, Celebi, Shroomish, Whismur, Skitty, Mawile, Plusle, Minum, Volbeat, Illumise, Roselia, Spoink, Spinda, Castform, Kecleon, Wynaut, Gorebyss, Jirachi, Cherubi, Buneary, Mismagius, Happiny, Munchlax, Togepi, Frolass, Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf, Cresselia, Phione, Arceua, Pansage, Pansear, Panpour, Munna, Audino, Lilligant, Maractus, Zorua, Minccino, Gothita, Deerling, Meinfoo, and Meloetta

So according to you, there are possibly 60+ pokemon to be retyped, not counting the new ones. The final number would make about 80 pokemon with fairy type, making it one of the most common types. That's not gonna happen. Considering that fairy type is somehow the counterpart to dragon type, I see MAX 30 pokemon happening, since there are 29 dragon-types. I think it will be rather a rare type, just like dragons. You people need to use the logic here and I don't mean to insult anyone. There is a reason for dragon and ghost types to be rare, just as there is a reason why is water the most common type. Then think about fairies. Do you see fairy everyday? No, they aren't even real (allegedly), just like the dragons and ghosts and that's why there won't be as much fairy pokemon as everyone think.

JW1004

So according to you, there are possibly 60+ pokemon to be retyped, not counting the new ones. The final number would make about 80 pokemon with fairy type, making it one of the most common types. That's not gonna happen. Considering that fairy type is somehow the counterpart to dragon type, I see MAX 30 pokemon happening, since there are 29 dragon-types. I think it will be rather a rare type, just like dragons. You people need to use the logic here and I don't mean to insult anyone. There is a reason for dragon and ghost types to be rare, just as there is a reason why is water the most common type. Then think about fairies. Do you see fairy everyday? No, they aren't even real (allegedly), just like the dragons and ghosts and that's why there won't be as much fairy pokemon as everyone think.

yeah I agree with you. I don't expect loads of people to get retyped. Probably two handsful of old gen families, maybe a couple of evolutions of past gen pokémon and a handful of new families.

Blazekickblaziken

Snarktastic Ditz
I think it would be cool to have a pokemon who was a fairy type but also a dark type, sort of like a conflicted character...

I feel pike Absol would be the perfec candidate for Dark/Fairy. Although I don't know how it would be conflicted, fairies aren't all nice balls of happy. It's been mentioned before. Originally fairies ranged anywhere from mischevious or inconsiderate at BEST to murders with magic at worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.