• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Fairy-type Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

R000

A Pokemon shouldn't be set into a certain playstyle because of its type; it's stats that should determine whether a Pokemon is a glass cannon not type. We have Steel-type sweepers even though it is the most defensive type, so why not allow Ice-types a chance to act as a wall?

I partly agree on your last line though. Steel and Poison both need a more offensive presence, and if Ice is SE against Fairy, that will diminish the buff that Steel and Poison would have received. It is possible to resist a type, but not be super effective against it, however (ie Poison resists Fighting, yet is not SE against it). I think Ice should only resist Fairy to help buff its defensive properties since Ice is seriously lacking in the defense department.

If they end up changing the type charts, I would actually like to see Poison be SE against Fighting as well as Poison. If they end up doing that, I want them to add a Dark and/or Ghost weaknesses to Poison. Then I'll be happy.

freezer1

Ice-type Fanatic
When thinking of how types fork, I like to think of ice as a snowball or a block of ice. Sure you can think of it as something huge and abstract as coldness.But if you think of Ice as coldness that wouldn't explain why Ice is weak to Rock, Steel Fighting and so on.
However giving that the air and water have the same tempereature, a block of ice would melt quicker in water than ice, even though it still takes some time depending on the size.

From Pokebeach:
""Fairy will be a new type. It is weak to Poison and Steel, immune to Dragon, super effective against Dragon, Dark, and Fighting, and Fire and Psychic-type Pokemon take half damage from it. (WPM Note: Fairy is confirmed, super effectiveness against Dragon is confirmed.)

You do have a point, and i completely agree with how all the other types are SE on Ice, but Icy Wind, and Blizzard for example, are Ice-type moves based on the cold rather than on actual Ice itself, as is the same for Heatwave for example, so the type chart does not always have to be of materialistic consideration. A "chilly blast of air" (I think Icy wind is a gust of chilled air) or "ice fire/cold fire" come to my mind as well as simply ice, and they would certainly freeze water.

R000

When thinking of how types fork, I like to think of ice as a snowball or a block of ice. Sure you can think of it as something huge and abstract as coldness.But if you think of Ice as coldness that wouldn't explain why Ice is weak to Rock, Steel Fighting and so on.[/I]

I think of Ice as a block of ice. If you hurl a chunk of steel or a rock at a block of ice, it will probably shatter. If you punch a block of ice, it will probably shatter. If you put a block of ice next to a fire, it'll probably melt after a while. If you put water next to a block of ice under the right conditions it will freeze. I suppose coldness would be an easier way to think of it, but an ice cube works too.

Strolling

Dragon Trainer
If fairy is immune to dragon and super effective, then Dragons basically will get obliterated... o_O Not fair.

Also, why did they call it fairy type? It seems just so not masculine at all...lol.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
If fairy is immune to dragon and super effective, then Dragons basically will get obliterated... o_O Not fair.

Also, why did they call it fairy type? It seems just so not masculine at all...lol.

Not really, yeah they get a weakness but Dragons have other coverage moves like Dragonite and Hurricane strong enough to muscle even Fairies.

Strolling

Dragon Trainer
Not really, yeah they get a weakness but Dragons have other coverage moves like Dragonite and Hurricane strong enough to muscle even Fairies.

I suppose but how many good Steel/Poison moves will Dragonite know that are very good. If Fire was SE, then I would love it because I could cover myself. Like Pansear using Solarbeam, it would keep me able to not be destroyed when I become a Dragon Master :p

Aonshinzo

TheCoolestTentacool

Not everything has to be masculine ya know. It won't hurt anybody if there some stuff in pokemon that appeal to a more feminine audience for once (no stereotypes....just saying)

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
I suppose but how many good Steel/Poison moves will Dragonite know that are very good. If Fire was SE, then I would love it because I could cover myself. Like Pansear using Solarbeam, it would keep me able to not be destroyed when I become a Dragon Master :p

remind me why exactly Dragon-types need to be utterly and entirely unbeatable again

Silverevilchao

Scythe-Wielding Chao

It's not like we don't have uber-manly types like Fighting or anything

Why is it that masculine = good, but feminine = bad? Like, seriously? God forbid you play a game that has even something slightly feminine in it...you don't see me keeling over and dying when I play something super-manly like Gears of War.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Why do they classify mouses pokemon into faires ? They don't look like faires to me

the short answer is that Fairy-type isn't necessarily Tinkerbell; basically anything with a certain set of properties, arguably drawing power from nature from current theories

whether or not it "looks like a fairy" is irrelevant to that end

JW1004

It's not like we don't have uber-manly types like Fighting or anything

Why is it that masculine = good, but feminine = bad? Like, seriously? God forbid you play a game that has even something slightly feminine in it...you don't see me keeling over and dying when I play something super-manly like Gears of War.

I agree completely. Not attacking someone, just in general, but a lot of thoughts on this type have been closeminded and just think about the stereotyped Winxclub/Tinkerbell Fairies, while the term is much and much broader than that.

I really wish they could make Arcanine a Fire/Fairy type. Or at least give it a M.Evo that would make it so. Coupled with its wide movepool, could easily go up a metagame tier or two this gen.

Yes, I'm biased, but if you think about it, Arcanine and Rapidash are kind of.. terrible in 5th gen play. Easy to counter, predictable. They easily could bring some of the more neglected 1st-3rd gens to the same place as the 4th gen powerhouses, and even the 5th gen average PKMN. I dunno, I just miss the classics xD

Naito

I really wish they could make Arcanine a Fire/Fairy type. Or at least give it a M.Evo that would make it so. Coupled with its wide movepool, could easily go up a metagame tier or two this gen.

Arcanine? Fire/Fairy? Tell me one pretty good reason. Of course, besides you wish for it, which is ok, but that's not a reason. Maybe I could stand Rapidash, but Arcanine? But then again, GF can make fairy of everythig I guess...

Last edited:

Luthor

Arcanine? Fire/Fairy? Tell me one pretty good reason. Of course, besides you wish for it, which is ok, but that's not a reason. Maybe I could stand Rapidash, but Arcanine? But then again, GF can make fairy of everythig I guess...

I can't see Arcanine as a fairy type. I think pure fire suits it.

Think of its movepool. Mainly Attack based, plus it learns Outrage naturally, and also can learn Wild Charge and/or Flare Blitz. In addition to that, Held Items are obviously an even bigger role in this gen. Give it even a Life Orb or a C.Band, and it plus its dragon immunity (if the rumor holds up) can TEAR APART Most teams. Only problems would be Rock, Ground, and Water. Plus whatever Fairy is weak against. But with a beneficial Attack nature like Adamant, Wild Charge can counter Water.

Rapidash would make a much better alternative, truthfully. I'm just a fanboy for Arcanines :D But it all depends on the updated base stats, movepools, and new aspects that X and Y will add. For all we know, they could slink back further o_0

Naito

I can't see Arcanine as a fairy type. I think pure fire suits it.

Thank goodness... I tought I am going to be bashed because I am the only one who thinks that retyping every single pokemon based on some sort of myth isn't the best idea.

I joke with my girl friend amanda all the time ab how she should build a team jus for her that's girls.

Smoochum , Mandibuzz (her nickname Mandy) , Nidoqueen etc lol

Naito

Do you think they might try to make some of the pure Normals from gen 1+2 like the Chansey and Sentret families Fairy types?

Chansey should be gained fairy, that I agree. But Sentret no.

Status
Not open for further replies.