• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Fairy-type Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
Not really, it makes sense. Yes, toxins may kill bugs, but bugs quickly become immune to them - that's why they have to bring out more and more pesticides each year. Bugs quickly become immune to poisons. They adapt that way through natural selection. In fact, poisons may indeed lead towards superpests resistant to alsorts of toxins and pesticides, as they develop immunity.

Have not really thought about evolution in terms of this. Nice angle. This sounds like when predators and prey develop new ways to catch prey/protect themselves. Just like how Durant might have (if pokemon were like real life) developed steel type for defense, causing Heatmor to develop pure fire typing to counter this. I wonder what else GF could do to reference this....

Fairy Jon

I would personally hope for Fairy type effectiveness to be something along the lines of:
Supereffective Against: Dragon, Fighting, Electric,
Resisted By: Fire, Fairy, Steel,
Weak to: Poison, Ghost, Psychic
Resists: Fighting, Fairy,

For the attacking line, dragon is already confirmed to be weak to Fairy, and I think it would be nice to have another type alongside Psychic and Flying that resist Fighting and also have an advantage against fighting; Fighting is one of the most common offensive types used in the game, so I think this would give Fairies a pretty good niche. In my opinion, the Electric type could use another weakness because unlike Normal, it has an advantage against water and flying types.

Fire is already confirmed to resist Fairy, and I was unsure of it at first, but I'm warming up to the idea if Fairies become checks to commonly used dragons; your Fire type would be quite a great addition to your team because of this. Fairy resisting Fairy seems like it should be as so(There isn't much basis for this). I've heard from multiple sources(And I believe I have read a fairy tale) where Fairy magick was reflected by metal/steel, which is where Steel's resistance to Fairy comes from. I've also heard/read from multiple sources that Fairies are susceptible to toxins/poisons, and I personally believe Poison could use this to give it something to work with(I also am pretty fond of the poison type.) I personally want Ghosts to get another niche under their belt, and this would give someone a reason to choose a Ghost type move over a Dark type one(Unless Dark is SE against Fairy.) Psychic types already have three weaknesses(which if I remember correctly two are commonly used), so I think an advantage against something other than Poison and Fighting would give it a nice niche to fill. Due to the fact that Ice is already weak to three very commonly used types, I don't want Fairy to be SE against Ice; however, due to Ice already being a great type offensively, I wouldn't be okay with Fairy being weak to Ice. I wouldn't mind if Ice resisted Fairy though.

Types that I do not want to see weak to Fairy: Normal, Grass, Rock, Ground, Steel, Flying, Bug, Ice, Psychic, Ghost, Poison. I don't think Normal should have another weakness without it having the advantage against another type. The rest of the types I listed already(With the exception of Ghost and Poison) already have 3 or more weaknesses. Rock, Grass, and Ice surely don't need anything else crippling them.

I wouldn't mind seeing the following types weak to Fairy: Water, Electric, Dragon, Dark(even though it's confirmed not to be weak to Fairy I would not have had a problem with it), Fighting
Water is my favorite type, but I wouldn't have an issue with an added weakness. Electric is up there as one of my favorite types, and I would not see an issue with another weakness. I never liked having to catch a Dragon or Ice type pokemon for Dragon types. My Water types almost always have ice beam to deal with them. I'm not a fan of Psychic type pokemon, and I'm not a fan of the fact that so many Fighting type pokemon can use stone edge/rock slide.

Overall, Fairy is currently in my top 5 types; I fell in love with the idea when I first saw it, and it made me like Sylveon even more. Xerneas being a Fairy type just made me want X so much more, and I had already fallen for Xerneas. Swirlex has stolen my heart with its adorable face, and I'm liking Draining Kiss, Fairy Wind and Moon Blast so far.

Last edited:

freezer1

Ice-type Fanatic
I would personally hope for Fairy type effectiveness to be something along the lines of:
Supereffective Against: Dragon, Fighting, Electric,
Resisted By: Fire, Fairy, Steel,
Weak to: Poison, Ghost, Psychic
Resists: Fighting, Fairy,

For the attacking line, dragon is already confirmed to be weak to Fairy, I think it would be nice to have another type alongside Psychic and Flying that resist Fighting and can also deal with them; fighting is one of the most common offensive types used in the game, so I think this would give Fairies a pretty good niche to fill. Electric could use another weakness because unlike Normal, it has an advantage against water and flying types, so I personally believe it could use another weakness.

Fire is already confirmed to resist Fairy, and I was unsure of it at first, but I'm warming up to the idea if Fairies become checks to commonly used dragons. Your fire type would be quite a great addition to your team because of this. Fairy resisting Fairy seems like it should be as so(There isn't much basis for this). I've heard from multiple sources(And I believe I have read a fairy tale) where Fairy magick was reflected by metal/steel, which is where Steel's resistance to Fairy comes from.

I've also heard/read from multiple sources that Fairies are susceptible to toxins/poisons, and I personally believe Poison could use this to give it something to work with(I also am pretty fond of the poison type.) I personally want Ghosts to get another niche under there belt, and this would give someone a reason to choose a ghost type move over a dark type one(Unless Dark is SE against Fairy.) Psychic types already have two weaknesses(which if I remember correctly are both commonly used), so I think an advantage against something other than Poison and fighting would give it a nice niche to fill.

I don't want Fairy to be SE against Ice since Ice is already weak to three very commonly used types; I don't want Fairy to be weak to ice due to ice already being a great type offensively. I wouldn't mind if Ice resisted Fairy. Overall, types that I do not want to see weak to Fairy: Normal, Grass, Rock, Ground, Steel, Flying, Bug, Ice, Psychic, Ghost, Poison. I don't think normal should have another weakness without it having the advantage against another type. The rest of the types I listed already(With the exception of Ghost and Poison) already have 3 or more weaknesses. Rock, Grass, and Ice surely don't need anything else crippling them.

I wouldn't mind seeing the following types weak to Fairy: Water, Electric, Dragon, Dark(even though it's confirmed not to be weak to Fairy I would not have had a problem with it), Fighting
Water is my favorite type, but I wouldn't have an issue with an added weakness. Electric is up there as one of my favorite types, and I would not see an issue with another weakness. I never liked having to catch a dragon or ice type pokemon for dragon types. My water types almost always have ice beam to deal with them. I'm not a fan of Psychic type pokemon, and I'm not a fan of the fact that so many fighting type pokemon can use stone edge/rock slide.

Overall, Fairy is currently in my top 5 types; I fell in love with the idea when I first saw it, and it made me like Sylveon even more. Xerneas being a Fairy type just made me want X so much more, and I had already fallen for Xerneas. Swirlex has stolen my heart with its adorable face, and I'm liking Draining Kiss, Fairy Wind and Moon Blast so far.

Normal, Fire, Water, Grass, Electric, Rock, Ground, Steel, Ice, Flying, Bug, Dragon, Psychic, Dark, Fighting, Ghost, Poison

interesting speculation. It sounds like you've really thought it all through. I agree a lot with the reasoning behind your ideas how Fairy affects the different types. a couple of questions:-

Why use Dark if Fairy is weak to Ghost? Dark and Ghost are tied together by the foot; don't you think it is a little unfair giving Ghost a push forward? Where is Dark confirmed not to be weak to Fairy anyway?
And is there actually a logical reason why Fairy is super-effective against Electric? I mean logically, like Rock against Flying, and Water against Fire are logical. rather than "Electric could use another weakness".

applemania

punching a fairy in the face seems pretty easy to do

Or a Fairy could dodge it through magic and end up behind the Fighting type.

I think it's safe to assume Ghost will be neutral against Fairy. If someone somewhere used Froakie's Lick against a Fairy and it was anything but neutral we would've heard of it by now.

Last edited:

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
Seems like no one tried to use a Ghost type move (aka Froakie's Lick) on a Fairy type pokemon in those demos that was available in "Detroit's Nintendo Experience Tour".
I would have totally tested that had I know it was coming to Michigan for once...I don't live far from Detroit anyway

MasterofArcanine

Pokecollection Maste
Aren't some Fairies kind of elemental like? I wouldn't punch a Lightning Fairy in the face.

Oh that would be cool! Living Elementals as fairy Types. That would be awesome. I can image Flabebe becoming a grass one. a fire one could look like a little fairy made of actually flames, water, made of water etc. I would love for this to happen. They have something like that in a show called Huntik: Secrets and Seekers and it looked awesome.

mew 2000

Shiny Celebi
I assume we're gonna see a nympf plate or something for acreus maybe an event acreus that's holding it and a fairy gem.

I know somebody (I think it was Coronis) tested Fairy-type moves and resistances in the demo. Does anyone have a link to their post about it?

bolter1

Swampert Trainer
I know somebody (I think it was Coronis) tested Fairy-type moves and resistances in the demo. Does anyone have a link to their post about it?
Here ya go:
Just played the demo myself and although I don't have new info, I can confirm that fairy does neutral damage to grass, water, normal and fairy itself. (Not effective against fire as stated) It takes normal damage from normal, fire, water, grass and electric. It's difficult calculate fairy wind's base power in the demo since Sylveon was at level 30, but when I hit a fennikin whose at level 25, it's hp dropped to around 4/7, if that's any help to any of you who are experts in this field.

There was also a demonstration battle between morimoto and one of the pokesmash guys and his Sylveon used some fairy attacks on the old gen pokemon. I have to double check on my vids on that when I get home.

Coronis~

Weird, I had searched for "fairy demo normal" and haven't found anything... Thanks!

Fairy Jon

If Fairy was Supereffective against Dark, Gardevoir's Fairy Wind should have ohko'd Hydreigon in that trailer. I think it may have been confirmed for neutral damage.

Aetius

If Fairy was Supereffective against Dark, Gardevoir's Fairy Wind should have ohko'd Hydreigon in that trailer. I think it may have been confirmed for neutral damage.

I remembered wrong in the end....or not? XD
In any case I guess we will have to wait for the next CoroCoro; in fact in it there will be the new type chart.
This way we will all know the weaknesses, resistances and advantages of the fairy type.

freezer1

Ice-type Fanatic
From the leaks it seems it could be SE also against Ice and Dark.
But I might have remembered wrong...

Fairy SE Against Ice - that is some sort of sick joke, isn't it?

It should resist Fairy and/or be SE against it, not gaining more reasons for it to be defensively weak. But let's think about this logically. Heat up some ice, it melts. Throw a rock at ice, it breaks. What is the delusional reasoning behind Fairy being SE on Ice?

Aetius

Fairy SE Against Ice - that is some sort of sick joke, isn't it?

It should resist Fairy and/or be SE against it, not gaining more reasons for it to be defensively weak. But let's think about this logically. Heat up some ice, it melts. Throw a rock at ice, it breaks. What is the delusional reasoning behind Fairy being SE on Ice?

Don't ask me. XD
I just wrote what was in the leaks.
In any case I too don't see the logic behind this...
I understand Dark, but also fighting is quite.....odd.

freezer1

Ice-type Fanatic
Don't ask me. XD
I just wrote what was in the leaks.
In any case I too don't see the logic behind this...
I understand Dark, but also fighting is quite.....odd.

Probably by the fact that fairy represents magic, and sort of that 'mind over matter' that allows psychic to trump fighting as well. I am unsure, but I will not like it if e.g., "something is SE on Fairy or vice versa because the game demands it so, and it will help bring the type chart to equilibrium if we do it with no logical reason whatsoever" or something along those lines happens. I understand Dark, but I think Dark being SE on Fairy logically makes sense too - that evil and dirty tricks can outwit a seemingly "pure" type.

Aetius

Probably by the fact that fairy represents magic, and sort of that 'mind over matter' that allows psychic to trump fighting as well. I am unsure, but I will not like it if e.g., "something is SE on Fairy or vice versa because the game demands it so, and it will help bring the type chart to equilibrium if we do it with no logical reason whatsoever" or something along those lines happens. I understand Dark, but I think Dark being SE on Fairy logically makes sense too - that evil and dirty tricks can outwit a seemingly "pure" type.

Yeah, it could be that, still we desperately need this type chart. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.