• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Fairy-type Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Reasons for Mawile, Marill, and Gardevoir becoming fairies?

Mawile is based off a futakuchi-onna (Japanese myth); qt3.14 besides the whole mutant thing
Marill is a qt3.14
Gardevoir is arguably a qt3.14 as well, but with some links to magical powers as well as telekinetic ones

storm12

Weather Bearer
Soooo, anthropomorphism= Fairy?

I'm sorry, but you're going to have to direct to where it says that fairies can cause nightmares because I looked on Wikipedia, a couple ther websites and even a book I have about fantastical creatures, none of the say anything about this power. Also, the reason I'm against Darkrai becoming Fairy is just that I simply see no reason for it to become Fairy.

Nope :L

Causing Nightmares is specifacally the effect Darkrai has on humans- like other fairies than cause infatuation, enchantment, misdirection, illusion- I'm looking at it as a tangential take on the abilities of a Fairy, not a literal one.

Well, tell me what YOU think Fairy is/means etc. then with examples of pokemon already revealed with the type :p

Depends on how broadly you take 'Fairy'- plus I'm not saying Darkrai is based specifically on any kind of Fairy- depends on what you say the bogeyman is- Fairy is not an objective term- could you say the bogey man is a Fairy? Maybe. I would. I could also imagine it getting Fairy typed moves like Moonblast etc.

I see Darkrai as having as similar an amount of claim to being a Fairy as Xerneas is. I personally see reasons, but they may not, evidently, be shared by everyone. Besides I don't think that they are going to change Darkrai anyway so I am arguing a dead case.

I would also have liked to see Absol gaining Fairy type- probably another most people wouldn't agree with.

bolter1

Swampert Trainer
Reasons for Mawile, Marill, and Gardevoir becoming fairies?
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/burden-of-proof
Since you did't use a counterargument, I assume you have none. I have no reasons because I don't believe any of them should've been typed Fairy. Some say that Marill is becuase of some sort of water nymph, it could also be because of some stupid reasoning of GF's part that they should be Fairy because they are cute and childish in appearance. Mawile...I don't know (I think Dark or Ghost would've been better for its basis since it's a diseased woman with mouths protruding from the back of her head), people just accepted it. Probably because of its innocent appearance. Gardevoir, something possibly. What are your reasons for them being Fairy?
Nope :L

Causing Nightmares is specifacally the effect Darkrai has on humans- like other fairies than cause infatuation, enchantment, misdirection, illusion- I'm looking at it as a tangential take on the abilities of a Fairy, not a literal one.

Well, tell me what YOU think Fairy is/means etc. then with examples of pokemon already revealed with the type :p

Depends on how broadly you take 'Fairy'- plus I'm not saying Darkrai is based specifically on any kind of Fairy- depends on what you say the bogeyman is- Fairy is not an objective term- could you say the bogey man is a Fairy? Maybe. I would. I could also imagine it getting Fairy typed moves like Moonblast etc.

I see Darkrai as having as similar an amount of claim to being a Fairy as Xerneas is. I personally see reasons, but they may not, evidently, be shared by everyone. Besides I don't think that they are going to change Darkrai anyway so I am arguing a dead case.

I would also have liked to see Absol gaining Fairy type- probably another most people wouldn't agree with.
I guess there is some degree of subjectivity as to what Fairy is, to me the Bogeyman is not one of them since there is not much folklore about it beyond "it will get you in your sleep if you misbehave" sort of stuff. My idea of fairy is based on traditional mythologies (especially Celtic), and so, is hard to narrow down exactly. Just read the Wikipedia article about fairies to get an idea. Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Last edited:

Heartlessangel17

Dark Trainer
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/burden-of-proof
Since you did't use a counterargument, I assume you have none. I have no reasons because I don't believe any of them should've been typed Fairy. Some say that Marill is becuase of some sort of water nymph, it could also be because of some stupid reasoning of GF's part that they should be Fairy because they are cute and childish in appearance. Mawile...I don't know (I think Dark or Ghost would've been better for its basis since it's a diseased woman with mouths protruding from the back of her head), people just accepted it. Probably because of its innocent appearance. Gardevoir, something possibly. What are your reasons for them being Fairy?

None. There is none. You say that Darkrai NEEDS a reason to be fairy. You said so yourself, they don't have solid reasons. Darkrai's mythos can easily be related to the Fae.

MechaBulba

King of the Monsters
To me Fairy dose not mean cute pink things, but rather magical folk-tale like creatures, creatures that can be either good or bad. So for me Darkrai screams Dark/Fairy. Ok it may not be small with little wings, sitting on a toadstool, but it dose have an eerie bogeyman/dream snatcher/grim reaper like feeling, all fairy-tale/folk-tale creatures, and for me that classifies it as one. I mean Darkrai looks more Fairy, more folk-tale than Maril, Dedenne and Wigglytuff which are all just basically cute animals, how is that fairy? Maril is a water vole with a toilet float for a tail, what kind of messed up creepy fairy is that? Stay away from my teeth Pikablu!
Plus Maril has never been a Water Nymh, Vaporeon maybe but never Maril, its only ever been a rodent.

I think both the audience and even GF have got caught up with Fairy meaning "cute and feminine" when it could be so much more!

Last edited:

bolter1

Swampert Trainer
None. There is none. You say that Darkrai NEEDS a reason to be fairy. You said so yourself, they don't have solid reasons. Darkrai's mythos can easily be related to the Fae.
Mawile is based off a futakuchi-onna (Japanese myth); qt3.14 besides the whole mutant thing
Marill is a qt3.14
Gardevoir is arguably a qt3.14 as well, but with some links to magical powers as well as telekinetic ones
Those are apparently good enough reasons for GameFreak. I don't like those reasons, but no use crying over spilled milk.

BurningWhiteKyurem

To me Fairy dose not mean cute pink things, but rather magical folk-tale like creatures, creatures that can be either good or bad. So for me Darkrai screams Dark/Fairy. Ok it may not be small with little wings, sitting on a toadstool, but it dose have an eerie bogeyman/dream snatcher/grim reaper like feeling, all fairy-tale/folk-tale creatures, and for me that classifies it as one.

Except we just stated that just because Darkrai appears to be based on the Boogeyman, doesn't mean that the Boogeyman is representative of a Fae. And saying that fairy-tale/folklore = fairy is absolute non-sense. Arcanine, Ninetales, and Darmanitan aren't going to get the Fairy subtyping just because they are based on folklore.

storm12

Weather Bearer
Marill is a qt3.14

You're point kinda makes out that cute pokemon = Fairy :L

like what you tried to say about cameras and demons :p I know that was sarcasm.

There must be other reasoning that might not yet even be clear to us- we haven't seen what their dex entries will be like this gen or if any particular mention is made of WHAT Fairy type is and means as far as pokemon is concerned. I don't think just because they're cute they got Fairy type- must be something else about say, Marill, to grant it Fairy type.

Or, Fairy is like two specific strands: cutesy chubby animals and traditional Fairies- like Flying is Birds and Wind- and the moves reflect that.

Last edited:

MechaBulba

King of the Monsters
Except we just stated that just because Darkrai appears to be based on the Boogeyman, doesn't mean that the Boogeyman is representative of a Fae. And saying that fairy-tale/folklore = fairy is absolute non-sense. Arcanine, Ninetales, and Darmanitan aren't going to get the Fairy subtyping just because they are based on folklore.

Actually Personally I can see Ninetails as a Fire/Fairy as it is based on a kitsune a very magical creature with fairy like traits.

storm12

Weather Bearer

s'like saying Torchic and Piplup should have Flying typw because they're birds. Something like that.

MechaBulba

King of the Monsters
Explain the "fairy-like" traits. The folklore itself doesn't state any.

Mystical spirit, magical powers, can turn into human form, at one with nature, like to play tricks on people, supernatural. This description can easily be used to label a Fairy/Pixie/Nymph

Can you use such "fairy-like" traits on Maril and Dedenne's mythos? Small, rodents, cute, pet-like? Beachball and TV antennae? Where's the "fairy" there? Ninetails has trumped them.

Or course I don't expect every Pokemon that's based on Folklore to be Fairy, just the ones where it can be and fits, Darkrai originally and now Ninetails being two of them for me.

Last edited:

Odious

あなたは馬鹿
Apparently everything has some "fairy" like trait meaning it can be fairy(according to the forum) haha

MasterofArcanine

Pokecollection Maste
Apparently everything has some "fairy" like trait meaning it can be fairy(according to the forum) haha

What about Grimer and Muk. They are pollution sludge brought to life so maybe they have a possibility to be Fairy :)

BurningWhiteKyurem

Mystical spirit, magical powers, can turn into human form, at one with nature, like to play tricks on people, supernatural. This description can easily be used to label a Fairy/Pixie/Nymph

Can you use such "fairy-like" traits on Maril and Dedenne's mythos? Small, rodents, cute, pet-like? Beachball and TV antennae? Where's the "fairy" there? Ninetails has trumped them.

Or course I don't expect every Pokemon that's based on Folklore to be Fairy, just the ones where it can be and fits, Darkrai originally and now Ninetails being two of them for me.

The problem is these traits that you've listed aren't solely Fairy property. Mystical Spirit/Magical Powers shares meaning with Psychic, transforming/playing tricks on people shares meaning with Dark. Which is why it doesn't make sense for Ninetales and Darkrai to be retconned.

The fact is that we both can't, because it's not out conception of Fairy that matters, it's GF's. We can argue how much we want, but we both know that they will likely resort to stereotypical notions of what makes a Fairy (hence why Marill, Dedenne etc. are fairies even though we may disagree about that).

MidnightFennekin

Unwashed skank
The problem is these traits that you've listed aren't solely Fairy property. Mystical Spirit/Magical Powers shares meaning with Psychic, transforming/playing tricks on people shares meaning with Dark. Which is why it doesn't make sense for Ninetales and Darkrai to be retconned.

The fact is that we both can't, because it's not out conception of Fairy that matters, it's GF's. We can argue how much we want, but we both know that they will likely resort to stereotypical notions of what makes a Fairy (hence why Marill, Dedenne etc. are fairies even though we may disagree about that).

In what world?

BurningWhiteKyurem

In what world?

If you consider what the dex entries say:
1) Jirachi's wish powers
2) Bronzong's ability to summon rain
3) Celebi being a time traveler
4) Victini's unlimited energy source
5) Lugia's 40-day storm shenanigans
6) Alakazam apparently creating sppons
to be magical. The point is that psychics aren't solely limited to stage tricks/telepathy by GF's definition.

NightFire7

I think that in this forum people have gotten a little too carried away. I suspect only a handful of previous gen pokes are going to get retconned into fairy types. Its not going to be as many pokes as some people have suggested. In a way every single pokemon has a trait in them that could be considered cause to be retconned into a fairy type. For pokes like togetic the traits are obvious while in others like Garbodor the trait isn't, for example you could say Garbodor could become fairy type because it is a living trash and there are legends in japan of spirits and creatures which are able to seemingly make inanimate objects come alive and plus Garbodor can use the move Psychic. But the point is just because there is a trait, it doesn't necessarily mean that the pokemon is going to become a fairy. Gamefreak are not going to go too crazy with the whole retconning previous gen pokes into fairy types which is why I suspect when we finally get the list of pokes that become fairy, some people are going to end up disappointed.

Takaru

Werk, Werk, Werk
Every where you go you see people pretending to be like Oprah "You get a fairy-type! You get a fairy-type! EVERYBODY GET'S A FAIRY-TYPE!!!"

Its just the excitement of a new type after about 13 years of them not adding one.

EverChanger

エヴァーチェンジャー
Not sure where to put this, but PokéBeach has posted some new rumors. Clefairy line, Togepi line, Chansey line and Dunsparce are all Fairy type? That last one would be interesting.

EDIT: Not to say I believe it. Like any rumor, I'm taking this with a HUGE grain of salt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.