• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Fairy-Type Trickery! (877)

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Even after watching this episode again, I still can't get over the fact that Valerie's ace was a Spritzee. I'm ok with them using only 2 pokémon (since at least that means we don't get to see her Mr.Mime), but the face that she used a preevolution for Ash's 6th badge seemed random & underwhelming. I thought that she would've at least used Aromatisse

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
maybe my hearing was off cause I just woke up around when the episode began.

but can someone confirm for me that the referee did not call Sylveon Jolteon when it went down cause I swear that's what I heard.

I still wonder why no one called Valerie on using Gyro Ball in Trick Room, how counterproductive can one get.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Shota's dub voice still grates on my ears.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I guess this battle only ranks lower than Ramos' battle just because the writers seemed too fond of making up stuff on the go. Breaking Trick Room with X-Scissor?

It also felt like Spritzee was pulling a Goku by playing and teasing Hawlucha and Fletchinder, so Valerie only got serious whenever the Trick Room went down.

The only positive? Hawlucha starred.

Soniman

Break the Limit
I guess this battle only ranks lower than Ramos' battle just because the writers seemed too fond of making up stuff on the go. Breaking Trick Room with X-Scissor?

X-Scissor is bug, Trick Room is Psychic, hence Trick Room breaking.

Does every single battle in the anime have to follow the slow, methoidcal turn based rules in the games? Is it a sin to have them do anything unique at all?

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Am i the only one who found this gym battle to be lacking some oomf, i thought for sure Spritzee was going to evolve

Spritzee being used last was anti-climactic imo, but I can't dislike this Gym match because of my love of Valerie. :p

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I think this was the best gym battle this region, even if Spritzee was used. Hawlucha getting the win made it even better, I loved how Fletchinder took out Sylveon.

Shota's dub voice still grates on my ears.

I agree.

G4Pokefan

THE AURA IS WITH ME
I actually had little to no interest in seeing this ep today, but i saw it and it underwhelmed me. the exchange of dialogue between the character grates on my nerves sometimes cuz it doesn't make since half the time. plus Ash pulling the same ol crap by using Pokemon that are weak against the opponents' just to 'show and prove' is getting tired. Is it to much for the animators to just let Ash use common sense when dealing with type disadvantages?

The XY series so far is disappointing. i guess alot of us wanted a more mature Pokemon series and this is the results of it. Well hopefully next gen, i wouldn't mind one bit if they dumbed it down some back to the glory days or the Kanto season. back to the humor and 'out there' moments

Vernikova

Champion
but can someone confirm for me that the referee did not call Sylveon Jolteon when it went down cause I swear that's what I heard.

The referee definitely said "Sylveon." I had to rewind it a couple of times to be sure, though.

X-Scissor is bug, Trick Room is Psychic, hence Trick Room breaking.

Does every single battle in the anime have to follow the slow, methoidcal turn based rules in the games? Is it a sin to have them do anything unique at all?

It doesn't. But they should at least have this lead up from somewhere. The strategy, using a move which we've never seen Hawlucha use before this episode, breaking Trick Room out of nowhere deserves more than it being introduced in a gym battle where it would be convenient for it to do so.

This was an ok episode. It had a couple moments I found really stupid, like Ash's Flame Charge strategy and the breaking of Trick Room. Also, when did Hawlucha learn X-Scissor? Or was it just for this particular episode?

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
This was an ok episode. It had a couple moments I found really stupid, like Ash's Flame Charge strategy and the breaking of Trick Room. Also, when did Hawlucha learn X-Scissor? Or was it just for this particular episode?

He learned it offscreen, simple as that.

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
He may have already known it and just never used it..

It was a nice touch seeing Clemont assume that Ash didn't know the effect of Trick Room, but for Ash to then prove him wrong. It's like this group doesn't have a clue about his previous journeys..

The way I see things, an episode has to have some level of interest for me. The battle Ash had against Valerie wasn't anything particularly special. Yes, he won himself a badge, but I just didn't find it as exciting or intense as some of the ones he's had in the past. The aforementioned moments didn't really help either. The same goes for the filler episodes. If they do something interesting, then I will like it. Taking an example off the top of my head. Ash and Pikachu get separated for a few episodes and the issue of trust comes into play. That would be interesting considering how long they've been together. A filler that involves TR separating the group only for them to unite by the end of the episode is one I would find boring since it's been done many times before. I know that episodes are bound to end up similar sooner or later, but this was just my opinion. I know I don't talk a lot like this when I give my thoughts on each episode. I just suddenly had a lot to say so I hope I don't come off sounding like a jerk.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
It's like this group doesn't have a clue about his previous journeys..

I guess he can't be bothered to fill them in on his past struggles, plus him suddenly showing them his skills adds to their respect for him, so it's a win-win for Ash.

Pikachu52

To be honest I didn't find this episode to be that interesting. I don't really care for Fletchlinder or Hawluthca so I'm not that interested in seeing either of them in long battles. I find it odd Ash didn't use Pikachu at all given Pikachu would have been ideal for this gym as he knows the move iron tail. Using Hawluthca - in honesty he probably deserved to loose for that. He sent a Pokémon with a serious type disadvantage into a sudden death match. Only a season previously Pikachu couldn't beat Excadril and yet here a Hawlutcha, a fighting type can suddenly beat a fairy type despite such a major disadvantage. Not to mention how many fans criticise cameron for ignoring type matchups.

Personally I think Hawlutcha stole Pikachu's thunder. Pikachu was the better choice and it doesn't make a great deal of sense that Hawlutcha won. He took a direct hit from Moonblast - that should have finished him. In BW042 Pikachu was knocked out by a similar hit from Excadril's focus blast and that wasn't even super effective.

4/10

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
To be honest I didn't find this episode to be that interesting. I don't really care for Fletchlinder or Hawluthca so I'm not that interested in seeing either of them in long battles. I find it odd Ash didn't use Pikachu at all given Pikachu would have been ideal for this gym as he knows the move iron tail. Using Hawluthca - in honesty he probably deserved to loose for that. He sent a Pokémon with a serious type disadvantage into a sudden death match. Only a season previously Pikachu couldn't beat Excadril and yet here a Hawlutcha, a fighting type can suddenly beat a fairy type despite such a major disadvantage. Not to mention how many fans criticise cameron for ignoring type matchups.

Personally I think Hawlutcha stole Pikachu's thunder. Pikachu was the better choice and it doesn't make a great deal of sense that Hawlutcha won. He took a direct hit from Moonblast - that should have finished him. In BW042 Pikachu was knocked out by a similar hit from Excadril's focus blast and that wasn't even super effective.

4/10
So basically it sucked because Pikachu wasn't spammed and gloryhogged for the umpteenth time in a Gym Battle in XY. Not saying this was one of the better Gym Battles in XY, it wasn't, but Pikachu not being used was one of the better aspects of this Gym.
I'm more surprised people think Type-Advantage is still this end all factor after having watched this anime for years now.

Last edited:

Soniman

Break the Limit
It doesn't. But they should at least have this lead up from somewhere. The strategy, using a move which we've never seen Hawlucha use before this episode, breaking Trick Room out of nowhere deserves more than it being introduced in a gym battle where it would be convenient for it to do so.
So basically spoil all potential surprise and suspense by having us know exactly what Ash is going to do to overcome Trick Room before the battle even starts.

Judging from the widley negative reception this gym has gotten apprentley im just gonna assume people dont know what they want in a Gym battle and leave it at that.

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
I know that fairies have no relation to ninjas but something just felt ninja -y to me. Maybe I am thinking of another word?

The battle was more interesting than I expected it to be. Trick room was looking a little over powered, so I was not sad to see Ash break it open. If Flame charge boosted speed and evasion then that strategy would have been genius but as it was, the repeated Flame charge use was sort of ok. (anime logic aside)

While I am not opposed to watching Pikachu potentially steam roll a couple of opponents, the rest of Ash's team needs to gain some EXP every now and then so I find this acceptable.