• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Fairy-Type Trickery! (877)

phanpycross

God-king
So your asspull complaint is not that Ash taught Lucha a super-effective physical Bug-type move in advance of a Psychic-type gym, but rather that a super-effective physical Bug-type move could break a Psychic-type rectangular box?

How did Ash know he was in for a psychic gym after this one tho, he usually never knows who he's facing next, meaning he prepared a bug move for a fairy gym.

Last edited:

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
How did Ash know he was in for a psychic gym after this one tho, he usually never knows who he's facing next, meaning he prepared a bug move for a fairy gym.

Or that Hawlucha had learned that move off-screen and not necessarily for the Gym Match. He only decided to use Hawlucha last minute because of the Trick Room. Honestly if it wasn't for that, I figure he would have used Pikachu.

Okay, new rule: If Trick Room somehow get's broken the way it did in this episode, that means it shouldn't be able to be used again, because it's, you know, broken. Physically.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
anyone know who voiced Valerie?

She's voiced by Kate Bristol, and she does a phenomenal job voicing Valerie. Bristol also voices Musa in Winx Club in the current dub by DuArt Film & Video.

Not a terrible battle, and I admired the presence of Valerie and Furisode Girls and their brief commentary. Reminds me a bit of Misty's sisters and Erika & her gym trainers.

All the problems I had with the gym battle was personal preferences; 2-on-2 felt short and felt short of enough action. Spritzee should have been the first Pokemon, as the ending felt mediocre. Sylveon going out first felt the same way. Wouldn't have mind seeing Mawile in action, too.

Again, I'm not too bummed out by the final product, since I enjoy Valerie as a character. Both in the games and the anime, she's adorable. <3

Yay, now 6 badges under Ash's belt. Only 2 to go, and boy we are going through the Kalos journey.

Orton155

Pokemon Enthusiast
What an entrance! Valerie once again gets more interesting as she is precisely a fairy type as she describes. A friendly exterior but there are hidden fangs hidden amongst it.

I enjoyed the battle and Ash's strategies were unique to say the least. I think Fletchinder won the battle for Ash as he defeated Sylveon and crucially landed a steel wing on Spritzee but Ash needed Hawlucha too to finish the battle off.

Great episode, onto the next one!

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I found this episode quite good, but what I enjoyed mostly was the intense Gym battle. Fletchinder did quite nice in the Gym, finishing Sylveon off but what I liked most was that Hawlucha survived a lot of SE Fairy attacks.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
All I have to say is show that Hawlucha learned a bug-type move before this episode. Don't randomly pop it up when it matters the most. This was a solid episode. The only way I can pan it is Hawlucha's new move debuting right here rather than last episode.

JudySpell

Banned
I'm surprised that Hawlucha even won in spite of his type disadvantage against Fairies. Valerie's Spritzee impressed me though. 7.5/10

Gillachu

Banned
Meh, I wasn't pleased that Valerie ditched Mr. Mime and Mawile from her team just for Spritzee. Sylveon should've been her ace...

Nyter

Island Challenger
The battle was intense. Valerie proved to be a formidable foe with her strategies and Ash won using the strategy only anime allows to do so (cause we know we can't pull off that **** in game). I also liked how Serena' s fandom for Valerie carried on.

4.5 stars outta 5

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
I liked this Gym match, especially commentary from the Furisode Girls and Ash's friends. The match itself was full of strategy which made me happy, though I don't know what Ash was thinking when he had Fletchinder spam Flame Charge. :/

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
There's a difference between "hey, I'm going to use Flare Blitz to out-speed once Trick Room wears off" and "let me cut Trick Room using X-Scissor; this has never been noted to be possible before this episode, by the way! how convenient for Hawlucha to have this never-before-seen Bug-type move to take advantage of this never-alluded-to weakness." The former is clever strategy, and the latter is **** spewing from the writers' fingers.

Why should it have been shown to be possible in the anime before when the move itself has only appeared twice?

Alloutℯ

Banned
I think the Flame Charge spamming was kind of boring. I wish he had tried to counter Trick Room in some other way other than waiting for it to cancel, but I still appreciate his cleverness with making sure that Fletchinder would be at full speed the second it'd disappear.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Mache versus Satoshi was so much fun. Seeing Nymphia lose against Hinoyakoma made me proud of Hinoyakoma's strength, although I was even more pleased with Luchaball and how he defeated Mache's Shushupu even with Trick Room on the field.

Ash's sixth Kalos Gym badge, yay. I haven't thought about this, but the whole breaking Trick Room with X-Scissor plan another random moment, as this isn't faithful the game's mechanics. You can't destroy Trick Room with a super effective move, you have to wait a few turns for it to wear off. But even if it does try to follow the game rules, the Gym battle would still be lackluster compared to the previous gym battle.

Leonhart

Imagineer
In hindsight, it was refreshing to see a Gym Leader like Mache whose ace Pokemon was un-evolved. Her Shushupu was resilient and reliable, which I appreciated.

vondecayle

Long gone are the days
- This was an amazing gym battle. Fletchinder took way to many hits imo, but it was a great battle nonetheless!

- Laverre City is both stunning in the games and anime!

- I wish the gym leader had used three or four pokemon so we had the chance to see Mawile or Mr. Mime in action.