• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Fake Pokemon Cards!

Charze

Always flyin'
I was just at the flea market, and I saw packs of Platinum Cards for $1 each. I figured I should try to get one, even if they're old for a great price. So I bought 2 packs for $1.50 (haggling :D) and I opened one up and could immediately tell they were fake. They didn't feel right and what set me off was how they had Plusle and Minun from the HeartGold-SoulSilver Set. So I brought them back and demanded my money back, and I got it.

The very next stand was a video game stand, and I saw some HeartGold SoulSilver Cards. So, thinking it was only one, I bought 3 packs for $2 since it was such a great price. I opened one up to find the cards were fake, again. For one, they had SP cards and a Level X Shaymin, which I know are not in HeartGold-SoulSilver, as well as Looker's Investigation. Not to mention, a Frontier Brain's Raichu card had numerous errors, such as a 4 retreat cost, a water required to attack, and a weakness to Steel(Metal). So after a bit of arguing, leaving and coming back, and talking to numerous workers, they gave me my two dollars, let me keep my opened cards, and I could tell I wasn't welcomed back. On later inspection, I noticed Ho-oh was discolored from the regular packs. Other than that, basic Pokemon Booster stuff.

Has this happened to any of you? Feel free to tell your story. I may post pictures later.

And also this is a warning to not buy cheap packs in strange places, unless you know they're real, or can get your money back.

Psychic Lunatone

<--The Handsome Rock
Same thing HG SS decks for 2.00 each and im thinking wat a bargain till i got home the cards that told me these are fake were....
Meganium had a move that does 3456 damage
and
Infernape with Hp of 8888888
Its a RIP OFF!!! and when i went back to get my well earned pocket money back they had already left!!!!!!

FE21

I am fasinated by error cards, idenrifying them and such. I spent hours looking at my friends collection to make sure every card was 100% legit. I found 6 fakes in about 1000 cards but none of them were as easy as wierd hp. I tracked down the guy my friend traded with and found the shop where the cards had come from but it had closed down. Never trade without the skills to identify a fake first is the moral of this story I guess...

ChedWick

I've strayed away from buying anything I want to function properly from a flea market. If its not produce or used, its likely a knockoff.

I've bought razor blades that have turned out to be fake and quite deadly (blades that move back and forth up and down) electrical wires that were configured wrong, movies that were burned pirated copies. You don't really lose much money, especially if you know how to haggle, but its still discouraging to find out you've been had.

Most recently I started getting back into collecting the first wizards base set cards and have been doing a lot of research on fake cards and theme decks. I would actually like to find Pokemon cards at a flea market to examine them and what not so I have some first hand experience.

This one guy back in elementary school gave me a fake Dialga card for my Heatran. I didn't know what a fake card was and the guy ended up selling my card. Anyway, fake cards interest me. I try to keep all cards, whether they're real or not. It's fun looking at the errors on them. I even use them when playing against my sister. But I would never spend money on fake cards.

FE21

When I was in elementry school, we thought that the super large energy symbols in a bubble were errors, so we (myself included) traded some amazing cards for amazing worthless junk. That was fun and all, but when you find out your 1st edition charizard is fake, it made me wonder if someone made up the whole "error" thing was created by the forger.

Zenosparadox

Happiny<3
See, i had a bunch of Pokemon cards when I was a kid, then now when I look back I can see some uneven border edges of wrong font, or even a misprinted energy symbol....It's just weird how people would forge Pokemon cards. Makes no sense to me.

DragonXmicro

何これ?かえったね。
Speaking of fakes, ive got a misprint right here. Notice it resists fire, and is weak to psychic
Bronzong g
[spoil]
IMG_20120117_194542.jpg
[/spoil]

The_Black_Mamba

The worst feeling in the world to tear open a fresh pack and pull out a rare card only for it to be painfully fake -_-