• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Familiarity Breeds Strategy! (654)

ShinyVaati

100% Rebel Time Lord
The battle has started out pretty well with Ash in the lead. (Infernape's gotten a win in this battle already!) I have to say I was surprised by Paul copying the Counter Shield trick, a very clever move. And it seems like Paul has noticed that Ash is using the same team as before.

Buizel Vs. Gastrodon was the best part of the battle so far, very fast paced and it was nice to Buizel get it's first real win in a while. The fight against Gastrodon in general was very good. And I loved towards the end when Ash adjusted his cap, things are getting serious!

I still can't tell if Infernape's new move is Flare Blitz or Blast Burn.

It's Flare Blitz. Ash tells Infernape to use Furea Doraibu (Flare Drive), which is the Japanese name of Flare Blitz.

For the record, let it be known that I called the counter-shield way back before this episode ever came out.

Besides that, this was a good battle, and the early lead by Ash gives them more room to work with in the next two episodes as well. Good start for the first 3-parter; I'm impressed it still had a lot of content, and didn't have just five minutes of battle to make it easier to spread over three episodes.

DigitalUpkeep

I make no sense.
I quite enjoyed this battle, but since it was relatively short, I think the most important part, emotionally, was the part where Oracion played over. Once that's dubbed, it'll probably have the most effect, reflecting on their rivalry and such.

Ash seems much more focused and doesn't seem to be making mistakes. This bodes well for the future. :D.

dragonpsychicrules

DragonType GymLeader
Can anyone tell me what were the discussions, between Paul/Reggie , Paul/Dawn(inside the pokemon centre) and the group discussion outside the pokemon centre, all about??

ShinyVaati

100% Rebel Time Lord
Can anyone tell me what were the discussions, between Paul/Reggie , Paul/Dawn(inside the pokemon centre) and the group discussion outside the pokemon centre, all about??

I think Paul and Reggie were discussing the team Ash will use (although I could be dead wrong on that one). When Paul was talking with Dawn however, he was mostly saying that Ash is just like Reggie, but Dawn disagrees, saying that Ash is just, well, himself. And I didn't really get any of what the group were talking about, although I think it might of just been pre-battle banter, so to speak.
(My Japanese is kind of limited, so sorry if I was wrong on anyting.

zeno48

Zaker!
Would anyone be so kind to translate the conversation Paul had with Dawn? i would greatly appreciate it and as for the episode itself i think that Ash is off to a good start but we know this will be one of the hardest battles he has ever fought with anyone. I know how it will come down too but so far Paul is putting up a good fight. The counter shield thing i never expected Paul to copy but Ash was taken off guard by that.

Both paul and ash have showed a great deal of development. Paul has used ash's improvised moves while ash is showing a greater level of focus and maturity. This is all plan of reggie's plan to see the limits of both trainers.

Reggie(watching the battle with his hands like Gendo): "All acording to plan"

TheNewGuy

That was a great ep. Really good battles, good character stuff (I presume). They didn't all go down in one hit like Gary's. Seems all set to be the best battle in the show's history.

Paul using Counter-Shield was a great touch, very impressive idea by the writers. Paul smirking that Ash is using the same team, but he's in for a surprise with their improvements. Loved the use of IAJ and Ice Punch to surprise him and Gastrodon. Infernape's speed was outstanding, a great way of showing it by Aggron preparing an attack and Infernape just...being there. Concerning, though, that Ash has had to use two Pokemon for each of Paul's so far - they're all being steadily weakened, I think it's being set up for a sweep by Electivire or Drapion.

Can Buizel not easily hit Drapion in the face with Water Gun in his current position by the way? >_>

Last edited:

bigtukker

That was a great ep. Really good battles, good character stuff (I presume). They didn't all go down in one hit like Gary's. Seems all set to be the best battle in the show's history.

Paul using Counter-Shield was a great touch, very impressive idea by the writers. Paul smirking that Ash is using the same team, but he's in for a surprise with their improvements. Loved the use of IAJ and Ice Punch to surprise him and Gastrodon. Infernape's speed was outstanding, a great way of showing it by Aggron preparing an attack and Infernape just...being there. Concerning, though, that Ash has had to use two Pokemon for each of Paul's so far - they're all being steadily weakened, I think it's being set up for a sweep by Electivire or Drapion.

Can Buizel not easily hit Drapion in the face with Water Gun in his current position by the way? >_>

No that's far too easy.

Cazak

When Wings Fly High

I doubt they'll make it that easy for Ash.
I have some queries here myself. Paul probably should be furiated that two of his poke'mon got out already without a single win(though they put up outstanding battles). Maybe his is just planning to use them to wear Ash out and then hit them hard with Drapion and Electivire. After all, Reggie was so relaxed back then that he was expecting this thing to happen so far.

d4rk_tailed

Doritoes,Leaf Storm!
I think Paul and Reggie were discussing the team Ash will use (although I could be dead wrong on that one). When Paul was talking with Dawn however, he was mostly saying that Ash is just like Reggie, but Dawn disagrees, saying that Ash is just, well, himself. And I didn't really get any of what the group were talking about, although I think it might of just been pre-battle banter, so to speak.
(My Japanese is kind of limited, so sorry if I was wrong on anyting.

Lol, any translation is good, thanks.

I imagined Teshub when Dawn blushed and ran back to Ash, getting all happy about a chance to add something else to his shipping list :D

I did think the same thing with Water Gun, but I doubt Drapion would care, it smited Sonicboom like it was thin air, a jet of water might bug it, but I think the writers should have Buizel sonicboom the ground, kick up dust in Drapions eyes, get away, freeze the ground, then skate around whilst gunning Drapion from all angles.

When Gastrodon was letting the water pulse come back down, was Paul intending that as a suicidal thing? Let water pulse take down both Gastrodon and Staraptor?

Dax

Legend
I gotta say, when Paul caught Dawn spying on him I had a great laugh. Funny scene. Girlfriend sure knows how to stalk. I also loved how immediately after Ash saw her with him she moved to his side. I guess as a sign of who she supported.

Metal Sound affecting eveyone pokemon on the stadium was a nice touch.

This has probably been Pikachu's strongest Thunderbolt. It looked like a tornado was hitting Aggron. O_O

I guess everyone was surprised to see Infernape so early. Bleh...Nice to see Cynthia still remembers it.

I was expecting more for the battle with Infenape. It was rather boring. I guess they are saving the excitement for the last battle of the monkey.

I will never get used to this Gastrodon family being able to expand their bodies like that. It's just creepy to see.

Interesting to see how Paul uses Counter Shield. Glad to see Ash used some of the things Bertha taught on paying more attention. At least he countered Counter Shield easily.

Nice to see Staraptor enduring Muddy Water, Body Slam and Ice Beam.

Ice Aqua Jet! I never thought we'd see it again. Good strategy from Ash.

Is Barry on Paul's side on Ash's? He seems very distraught every time Paul is at a disadvantage.

It was a good episode. Both of Gastrodon's battle were the best. It's starting slow but it seems to be building a lot of tension.

TicoPokemonMaster

Lol, any translation is good, thanks.

I imagined Teshub when Dawn blushed and ran back to Ash, getting all happy about a chance to add something else to his shipping list :D

I did think the same thing with Water Gun, but I doubt Drapion would care, it smited Sonicboom like it was thin air, a jet of water might bug it, but I think the writers should have Buizel sonicboom the ground, kick up dust in Drapions eyes, get away, freeze the ground, then skate around whilst gunning Drapion from all angles.

When Gastrodon was letting the water pulse come back down, was Paul intending that as a suicidal thing? Let water pulse take down both Gastrodon and Staraptor?

Gastrodon was watching the water pulse come down, so it would have possible moved by the time it was close enough to strike staraptor.

raz1337

Miju Miju!
It was interesting how they started with the opening of the fight, then after the opening cut to training, then back to the opening of the fight. I don't think Pokemon has done that kind of thing before. I'm mostly interested, as always, in a translation of the conversations. I want to know what Paul and Dawn were saying as they walked to Ash.

I was thinking also that Gastrodon was going down with Staraptor. I didn't even notice the close combat the ground. Did other people catch that by the move itself or the dialog? That's really hard to tell that Staraptor is using close combat without hearing Ash order it. I thought the exact same as others when Buizel was caught by Drapion, "OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND WATER GUN."

nap*

Yeah Baby!
I'm glad Paul was scouting for Pokemon with two Pokemon alone he has forced Ash to switch out three times. Sure they got KOed easily, but look at that outcome has lead to:

What Paul has learned about Ash's team with two Pokemon:
-Ash is using the same 6 Pokemon in their previous match
-Infernape has Flare Blitz
-Ash would still try to use Ice Aqua Jet if Buizel is around
-Ash would still try to use Counter Shield (which he countered with Drapion's tail)

What Ash has learned about Paul's team with four Pokemon:
-That Paul has Pokemon that can use counter shield
-Only three Pokemon that Paul has, two of them which are KOed

Why people are complain that it is out of Paul character confuses me, when has Paul ever tried to be non strategical. If anything Paul seemed to be giving Ash a sense of false confidence.

Lee-san

Limbo Messiah
Amazing episode.
Shinji using Counter Shield? Freaking awesome. Rest of the battle went as expected.