• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Familiarity Breeds Strategy! (654)

Cazak

When Wings Fly High
Overall this is a good battle so far. There's 2 things that's odd in this battle so far:

1) Staraptor missed the aerial ace and got hit by body slam? This is almost impossible. Staraptor's speed together with the accuracy of aerial ace CANNOT possible missed s a slow pokemon like Gastrodon.

2) Buizil Ice punch KO Gastrodon? That's very hard to believe. From the angel, Gastrodon's body is falling towards Buizil's ice punch, so it could be a critical hit. But even so, it shouldn't be strong enough to KO Gastrodon, because ICE aqua jet doesn't seem to do any damage what so ever.

Yeah Gastrodon being taken out like that was a little out of place(not that I am complaining though). The battle was probably rushed, but the only explanation I can think of is that Gastrodon probably took some damage(not complete, partial) from Staraptor's attacks, and the Ice Aqua Jet.

Sparklingwater

Yeah Gastrodon being taken out like that was a little out of place(not that I am complaining though). The battle was probably rushed, but the only explanation I can think of is that Gastrodon probably took some damage(not complete, partial) from Staraptor's attacks, and the Ice Aqua Jet.

Staraptor didn't damage it at all. One explanation for Gastrodon I could think of is, Ice Aqua Jet did some damage, then Ice Punch was a critical hit because it collided with Gastrodon's body in mid air, which then freeze Gastrodon in the air, and then the frozon Gastrodon drop on the ground causing the ice to smash into it's body causing additional damage, which then KO it.

Facescar

Post-Rambler General
Overall this is a good battle so far. There's 2 things that's odd in this battle so far:

1) Staraptor missed the aerial ace and got hit by body slam? This is almost impossible. Staraptor's speed together with the accuracy of aerial ace CANNOT possible missed s a slow pokemon like Gastrodon.

2) Buizil Ice punch KO Gastrodon? That's very hard to believe. From the angel, Gastrodon's body is falling towards Buizil's ice punch, so it could be a critical hit. But even so, it shouldn't be strong enough to KO Gastrodon, because ICE aqua jet doesn't seem to do any damage what so ever.

First, calm yourself ;)

1) Yes, yes, we all know that, but this is an Anime. Things have to happen, and knowing Paul, he must have timed it perfectly :p.

2) We don't know how much damage Ice Aqua Jet did, but it did seem to miss just barely. Also, the Ice Punch froze Gastrodon, that would do additional damage you don't realize in the games... FURTHER: Gastrodon's weakest stat? Defense. Buizel's strongest? Well, speed... but attack is its second highest! It's a good matchup.

Cazak

When Wings Fly High
Anime =/= games, but that theory puts up quite well. And lets not forget that Gastrodon is also pretty slow, but it still dodged Staraptor's attacks, but then again, that was timed by Paul.

pokemonloverXD

Ash's fangirl
OMG, this ep was freaking awesome, the battle was really intense and Ash beat 2 of Paul's Pokemon gaining the upperhand :D
I'm so glad that the writers remembered about counter shield and ice jet though where the hell did all the spikes go? Ice jet looks way cooler with spikes.
Oh yeah, what did McCann feed Gliscor with? It was like 2 times bigger than the last time we saw it and it was creepy in so many level when Paul smiled nicely in this ep

Last edited:

Missingno. Master

Poison-type Trainer
OK, did anyone else notice when Stinktrodon was knocked out, not only was the top of its head not colored properly, but also its third eye didn't become a spiral?

For some reason, Bulbapedia keeps removing the third eye error because they don't think that that dot on Stinktrodon's forehead is a third eye. It IS a third eye, isn't it?

And yes, for those sticklers for the rules out there, this DOES have to do with this episode.

Doom-Burn

I never really understood why Gastrodon shot a Water Pulse(?) into the air so it can hit itself.

Apart from that, it was a great episode.

pokemonloverXD

Ash's fangirl
I never really understood why Gastrodon shot a Water Pulse(?) into the air so it can hit itself

Becoz Paul ordered it to, shot the water pulse up high then when it fell down, its power increased and it'd be more effective when it hit but he needed Staraptor to stay still in order 4 the attack to hit, that's why he tried to sacrafice Gastrodon

gliscor&yanmega

OK, did anyone else notice when Stinktrodon was knocked out, not only was the top of its head not colored properly, but also its third eye didn't become a spiral?

For some reason, Bulbapedia keeps removing the third eye error because they don't think that that dot on Stinktrodon's forehead is a third eye. It IS a third eye, isn't it?

And yes, for those sticklers for the rules out there, this DOES have to do with this episode.

Why are you calling it Stinktrodon.

I never heard of that thing being it's third eye, and when I saw it on Bulbapedia I was confused about the whole thing.

uber gon

Accept Change
I knew it. As soon as the battle starts people stop *****ing about Paul using new Pokémon.

Frankly I just think it robs a lot of satisfaction from Ash beating Paul. Then again Ursaring would probably beat the crap out of everyone.

Candy-Sama

Kawaii Power
I liked the expressions in this episode. Especially Dawn (stalker) and Barry (Gligarman!)

He has already lost two Pokémon, Ash none. This isn't the Paul way.

Apparently, Reggie (while watching) said that Paul let Aggron and Gastrodon faint. I guess Drapion will do some serious sweeping in the next ep.

Nostalgic Hybrid

Judged By Username
Mach Punch is awesome as a finishing move! It's the move Flint's Infernape used against Ash' Infernape to knock it out. That being said, it's the move Monferno learned upon evolving against Paul, and immediatly after blowing dust in his face with it. Knocking out Aggron with this move is nothing less then good writing, and believable since Aggron is 4x weak against Fighting moves.. Plus another thing of note is that Aggron was going to use Flash Cannon but Infernape used Mach Punch as a priority move and shocked Paul even more.

It is very weak to fighting moves, but we know how the anime hardly touches up on type differences. I think I'm just sick of mach punch hitting like a train.

A lot of Ikariishippers are using this to try and prove their ship, but really it never focused on that. If anything, Paul's attacks on Ash get Dawn to defend him (Ash). Not to mention her jumping over to Ash the moment she realizes where she is. If anything, this episode was more about Pearlshipping than Ikariishipping...

/headdesk

Bliksem

The Quirky Quilava
I'm very pleased with this episode. It's very well animated, and I was happy that some of the techniques Paul used I was looking forward to for his character development. I'm also very thrilled to see his expressions; he's remaining cool and collected, even though he's at the disadvantage. If only I weren't cursed with already knowing the outcome.

Something that I thought was interesting was when Gastrodon fainted, Paul took an extended look at the ball, almost as if he were considering praising Gastrodon for its work. I think it'd be remarkable development if he would continue to do this as the battle goes on, finally praising Electivire at the very end. I say Electivire not because I want to see it vs. Infernape at the very end, but because it's the only Pokemon that we, as viewers, should have an emotional connection with on this current team.

I look forward to the next episode. Hopefully we can see how Paul has grown as a trainer.

I'm also happy that Barry is there, supporting both Ash and Paul. One of the things I hated before was the suffocating hatred that Ash's friends radiated when it came to Paul. Hopefully they will acknowledge that different training styles are different, and that they both have a lot to learn. Here's to hoping in the future, we'll see more of Paul's endeavors.

Char

7 Inches Of Fun
Is Paul not going to use his Torterra? :(

randomspot555

Is Paul not going to use his Torterra? :(

Not in this battle.

Somehow I read on these forums that Shinji would be at a serious disadvantage until he sends out Dorapion. But really, Satoshi only has two Pokemon that haven't come out yet, whereas Shinji has 4 Pokemon at full health (including the one that's currently out). I'd say, right now, the battle is just about even, but Satoshi has a bit more momentum.

It was interesting to see Toritodon use Counter Shield, especially since it isn't a particularly speedy Pokemon. But it was able to manipulate a move (Muddy Water?) so that it basically did the same thing without having to spin.

Very well done animation as well. The producers seem to know when to use their good animation directors. Big plus on having Rocket Gang sit this episode (mostly) out.

Blaziryu

I thought this episode was good. I just didn't the lineup for both Ash & Shinji. It looks the producers are setting up Ash's Johto PKMN to lose against the Darkrai trainer while his Sinnoh PKMN get all the fame & glory of defeating Shinji.