• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Family Guy should have ended already?

Should Family Guy have ended already?

• Yes, it's long past it's prime

Votes: 48 53.3%
  • No, it should continue!

Votes: 42 46.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vernikova

Champion
To me, offensive is offensive regardless of whether it's supposed to be taken seriously. Basically, I don't like offensive humor regardless of who they're trying to offend. If you offend a Japanese person by saying they have a small ***** or something like that, well I'm not Asian, but it's still offensive to someone, so it also offends me in a way. Sue me, I guess it's not my kind of humor, but I personally don't see anything funny about offensive humor, really.

I don't mind the show, as it's at the very least BEARABLE to watch, unlike most cartoons these days, but the one episode where Chris befriends the nazi was a real turn off for me.

The show mostly consists of off-color humor and black comedy. How do you not mind the show and find it bearable if you don't find its main technique of comedy funny?

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
The show mostly consists of off-color humor and black comedy. How do you not mind the show and find it bearable if you don't find its main technique of comedy funny?

Bearable as in Not Completely Gross, Random, and overall unpleasant to watch. Just because I don't find that kind of humor funny doesn't mean it makes me want to gouge my eyes out. Most cartoons these days, however, do with humor that's so random, uncreative, and characters that show veins and wrinkles and what-not in a way that's just flat out disgusting, something that's becoming all too common in today's cartoons.

You could argue that the description fits Family Guy to a tee, but I personally disagree with that.

Last edited:

Mewtwo152

Not dead yet.
Family Guy is an unfunny show. Get rid of it so we can free up time on the network for something actually good.
This is the most intelligent post in the thread.

Seriously, Family Guy was never funny, not even in the beginning (my problem with the poll is that the show never had a prime). And The Cleveland Show should get canned too, as it's more or less Family Guy with black people, and just as unfunny.

American Dad, however, is very good. It's funny because it doesn't rely on random cutaway gags, at least not nearly as often, and because the episodes actually set a plot, stick with it, and uses jokes that relate to said plot.

Vodka Haze

The black comedy isn't what gets me. I am a big fan of black comedy, which is why Frankie Boyle's Tramadol Nights (a show that's so f*cked up in so many ways) is one of my favourite shows of all time. The thing that annoys me seemed to become frequent from Season 4. It has no timing! If the show had a sense of comedic timing, such as when they make those stretched-out gags that go on forever just to lengthen the episode, and cut those out, I personally wouldn't have that much a problem with it. American Dad is better imo, though it does make some political jokes I don't get.

Doctor Who finished its 32nd season this year. Longevity is no reason to cancel a show, unless the writers ran out of ideas or something. However, IMO Family Guy isn't such a great TV show; it's all about the comedy and not about anything else you look for in a TV show. That's the reason it should be cancelled.

While I can see how Family Guy is misogynist

Fantastic. You agree.

Pretty much if you're calling Family Guy jokes out for being what they're poking fun of, you're taking the joke too seriously.

Not when misogyny is one of its defining characteristics. It makes no wider point. It's misogyny for the sake of misogyny (or laughs if you find that funny), with no attempt to make any wider worthwhile satirical or comedic points. On what level is repeated misogyny funny? I just don't get it.

That was definitely a weird time. I was all on board though with Trey and Matt's views, and the death threats, and Comedy Central's reactions to them, were a disappointment.

I agree

Seth did make a valid point about whether you "think it's worth the risk" (given that indeed an attempted bomb threat did happen)

The whole issue is that is has to be worth the risk. He completely pussied out. It was/is shameful.

Vernikova

Champion
Bearable as in Not Completely Gross, Random, and overall unpleasant to watch. Just because I don't find that kind of humor funny doesn't mean it makes me want to gouge my eyes out. Most cartoons these days, however, do with humor that's so random, uncreative, and characters that show veins and wrinkles and what-not in a way that's just flat out disgusting, something that's becoming all too common in today's cartoons.

You could argue that the description fits Family Guy to a tee, but I personally disagree with that.

Out of curiosity then, how would you describe it?

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
Out of curiosity then, how would you describe it?

I'll admit, Family guy isn't my favorite show, but it DOES have its moments. The episode where Peter fights the clothes-cleaner guy Street Fighter 2 style, on my favorite stage no less, is permanently on my DVR to be watched again and again.

We could keep asking more questions and turn this discussion into a complicated knot of words. Pie = 3.14 so on. Let me just flat out say it.

-Offensive humor isn't funny, but it's also not infuriating. Just keep watching and wait for the good jokes.

-Fart jokes and Potty Humor are bound to happen a lot, but usually nothing that's VISUALLY disgusting happens.

-As I said before, some shows have their moments. The Nazi episode was a bust for me, but then there's also that Street Fighter reference from the episode Brian tries to befriend Quagmire and they end up stealing each-others girlfriends. When it comes to movies and video games, Family Guy usually does their homework.

-Street Fighter reference! I'm such a fighting game nerd.

-But most of all, it's on the TV, and I have no other plans, so might as well leave it on.

Mrs Mime

a little haphazard
People are still watching these shows, so they're obviously not that unfunny. I personally think they're all boring now but the younger(er) generation probably still enjoy them, just as we did. I know adults who enjoy it still too though.

Most of you watch Pokemon mind. Absolute garbage aimed for those under 14. Same problem but people still watch it.

how many epasoide can they do???
they made epasoides about all the idea!!!

Not sure if excited or just stupid.

Anyway:

here's my take on this idea: Family Guy at first had a plot each episode that caused a myriad of ridiculous things to happen. It had a moral at the end of the episode, Lois wasn't a promiscuous woman, Peter was a fallable man but not "retarded" Meg wasn't the punching bag (which subsqeuently is FG taking shots at womens' weights. Not cool.)

I understand FG's point overall is to be as controversial as possible while making people think about their lives and what goes on in them. But here's the catch: as a show it lost its entertainment value when it lost the idea of actually putting stories in the show. (such as Meg learning to drive.)

Now the episode structure is this: Peter gets a new stupid passion, it fails horribly, then a random 3-4 stories go on during the show.

It's not a good show anymore but sadly, the newer generation of kids likes it because it's offensive and crude. What are you gonna do? Personally It wouldn't bother me either way if they keep it forever or get rid of it, but as of now I just don't find it nearly as funny as it was.

It's the idea that it must be funny because people watch it.

Loads of people love the music of N-Dubz, that doesn't stop it being rather shockingly painfully mindnumbingly awful. See also with TV Programmes/Films.

Hikari Paradise

Forever Alone
Ehh... I still think it's funny but not as much as it used to be. I don't think it should end quite yet but maybe in a few years. Now The Simpsons on the other hand should just hang it up.

Please dont bump threads that havent been posted in for over a month! Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.