• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Fan art I did a while back

your_worst_nightmare

Pokerman Master

your_worst_nightmare

Pokerman Master
Sure thing :)

your_worst_nightmare

Pokerman Master

XxPhoenixFlamexX

I think your drawing are absolutely adorable! You're a far better artist than I am so I don't really have much to critique, but I love your work.

your_worst_nightmare

Pokerman Master
Thank you, but I don't feel that any one artist is better than another. Everyone has a different view and way of drawing :)

XxPhoenixFlamexX

Thank you, but I don't feel that any one artist is better than another. Everyone has a different view and way of drawing :)

No I'm still pretty much a noob! I haven't really drawn since 7th grade and I picked it up again maybe 2 days ago. I must say I am a fan of your pencil shading; I've been trying to learn how to do that well.

your_worst_nightmare

Pokerman Master
I can understand, I've had very little practice with colors. Where as I've preferred to use plain pencil for shading.
An thank you for your input, I will practice my colors :)

your_worst_nightmare

Pokerman Master
Thank you, I've done shading with pencil for quite a while, I find it easier than using color. But I don't usually use color and because I had never owned colors before-hand is why I have no practice.

burnt_lucario

Gracias al mundo
The pencil drawing looks exactly like my old drawings from years ago (which is a good thing!). You capture form and depth well with shading. The only thing is that the darker part on Cyndaquil's back is a little messy in terms of shading (some lines are visible and stick out) and should blend more like the other parts of the drawing you did well. And I don't know if it's just the quality of the camera, but it seems like highlights could be brighter in some areas by using an eraser. Highlights add more form to a drawing and make it "pop" more if that makes sense. But other than that, I can really see that you grasp and excel at the concepts of lighting and shading, and I hope you keep practicing and getting better. I commend you!

As for the color drawing: there is little bad to say about it as well! I was always hesitant to start drawing with colored pencils (I'm assuming that yo use colored pencils), but once you practice and practice it isn't so bad. A few tips and things to keep in mind are that to get a color darker for shading, you often need to use different colors. Reading some tutorials on color theory should really help. Pressing harder with the same color works well to an extent, but using a different color aids in making a color look much darker and helps with shading. My go-to colors are purple or a dark blue to darken colors, and a limited amount of black so as to not dull any colors by using it too much. Shading with colors is all about layers, and I find it easiest to work from light to dark by laying down a light, base coat (color even lighter where highlights should be) and gradually layering on darker colors, leaving the lighter areas untouched. It may take a while, but the end result is worth it.

Of course, as you said, everyone has their own way of drawing, but I thought I would part with some of what I've learned through personal experiences to hopefully help you. But keep the good work up! Trial and error will teach you your strengths and weaknesses, and it's always crucial to look at other people's art for examples and to see what style you do best. I look forward to seeing what you can do with more practice!

your_worst_nightmare

Pokerman Master
The pencil drawing looks exactly like my old drawings from years ago (which is a good thing!). You capture form and depth well with shading. The only thing is that the darker part on Cyndaquil's back is a little messy in terms of shading (some lines are visible and stick out) and should blend more like the other parts of the drawing you did well. And I don't know if it's just the quality of the camera, but it seems like highlights could be brighter in some areas by using an eraser. Highlights add more form to a drawing and make it "pop" more if that makes sense. But other than that, I can really see that you grasp and excel at the concepts of lighting and shading, and I hope you keep practicing and getting better. I commend you!

As for the color drawing: there is little bad to say about it as well! I was always hesitant to start drawing with colored pencils (I'm assuming that yo use colored pencils), but once you practice and practice it isn't so bad. A few tips and things to keep in mind are that to get a color darker for shading, you often need to use different colors. Reading some tutorials on color theory should really help. Pressing harder with the same color works well to an extent, but using a different color aids in making a color look much darker and helps with shading. My go-to colors are purple or a dark blue to darken colors, and a limited amount of black so as to not dull any colors by using it too much. Shading with colors is all about layers, and I find it easiest to work from light to dark by laying down a light, base coat (color even lighter where highlights should be) and gradually layering on darker colors, leaving the lighter areas untouched. It may take a while, but the end result is worth it.

Of course, as you said, everyone has their own way of drawing, but I thought I would part with some of what I've learned through personal experiences to hopefully help you. But keep the good work up! Trial and error will teach you your strengths and weaknesses, and it's always crucial to look at other people's art for examples and to see what style you do best. I look forward to seeing what you can do with more practice!

Thank you very much for your advice and praise. I don't currently have my drawings with me to be able to fix them >.<
And I will try your advice on colored pencil when I get some (currently don't have the money). I plan on getting a new sketch pad soon, I need to get back into art. It's the only talent I really have and I haven't drawn in nearly 2 years. I don't Wang what I still have to be a waste of raw talent.

What would be the best type of colored pencil? I was thinking prisma colors.. I've used them a few times back in art classes and found they blend well.

Also any advice on what pokemon I aught to try and draw when I get everything together and am able to upload a picture? I was thinking of maybe drawing Swampert from a belly view in the water or a side/belly view with mudkip and maybe some magikarp.
Any ideas I will jot down in a notepad and hopefully be able to get around to it.

burnt_lucario

Gracias al mundo
Thank you very much for your advice and praise. I don't currently have my drawings with me to be able to fix them >.<
And I will try your advice on colored pencil when I get some (currently don't have the money). I plan on getting a new sketch pad soon, I need to get back into art. It's the only talent I really have and I haven't drawn in nearly 2 years. I don't Wang what I still have to be a waste of raw talent.

What would be the best type of colored pencil? I was thinking prisma colors.. I've used them a few times back in art classes and found they blend well.

Also any advice on what pokemon I aught to try and draw when I get everything together and am able to upload a picture? I was thinking of maybe drawing Swampert from a belly view in the water or a side/belly view with mudkip and maybe some magikarp.
Any ideas I will jot down in a notepad and hopefully be able to get around to it.

If it's your talent then pursue it! Good things can only come from it.

As for colored pencils: prisma colors do blend well and are really vibrant, but are more on the expensive side. It's the quality that you're paying for pretty much. However, some people can do amazing things with just crayola pencils, and that just shows that it's more about the artist and how they apply the medium than the actual medium itself. And it's all a matter of personal preference as well. There's nothing wrong with starting out with one brand over another, so it's up to you to decide how much you want to invest in your supplies.

As for ideas, those all sound great! If an image of something or an idea pops in your head, it's always best to either jot it down or do a quick sketch or outline to get it down on paper while it's still in your head. I tend to stray away from telling people exactly what to draw because I don't want to limit their creativity, but I like your ideas of incorporating multiple Pokemon into a drawing. When you draw for yourself it should be something you really want to draw. ^^

I'm glad I can help!

your_worst_nightmare

Pokerman Master
If it's your talent then pursue it! Good things can only come from it.

As for colored pencils: prisma colors do blend well and are really vibrant, but are more on the expensive side. It's the quality that you're paying for pretty much. However, some people can do amazing things with just crayola pencils, and that just shows that it's more about the artist and how they apply the medium than the actual medium itself. And it's all a matter of personal preference as well. There's nothing wrong with starting out with one brand over another, so it's up to you to decide how much you want to invest in your supplies.

As for ideas, those all sound great! If an image of something or an idea pops in your head, it's always best to either jot it down or do a quick sketch or outline to get it down on paper while it's still in your head. I tend to stray away from telling people exactly what to draw because I don't want to limit their creativity, but I like your ideas of incorporating multiple Pokemon into a drawing. When you draw for yourself it should be something you really want to draw. ^^

I'm glad I can help!

I think I probably will go with regular crayola color pencils for practice then I will possibly move up to the better option. (I hate markers.. But I would like to try copic one day)

As for ideas I like being given them because I want to draw things I wouldn't normally do for practice. It gives me a challenge and helps me to develop my skill better.

your_worst_nightmare

Pokerman Master
Here is a Swampert I drew last night, its been a year since I last drew so I hope it turned out alright. I want to color it and possibly have someone who is good with graphic art to maybe color it since I have no way to do so myself. It would be really neat to see it, and I would be happy for someone to do it out of the kindness of their heart or just for the heck of it. :)

Let mr know what you guys think about it!

Murder Doll

Button Presser
The line work as always is amazing and as a whole I like it quite a bit, my only bit of criticism is that it's head & neck sizes seem a bit off.

your_worst_nightmare

Pokerman Master
The line work as always is amazing and as a whole I like it quite a bit, my only bit of criticism is that it's head & neck sizes seem a bit off.

Hmmm... I can't really see it >.>; but thank you anyway :)
Swampert wasn't the way I actually how intended to draw it, but after a year long break I think it turned out great.
(wish I could post actual pictures from the iPod in this thread but it can only do so much.. Stupid iPod.. >_< )

Next thing on my agenda is getting some colord pencils and possibly color Swampert. I will probably draw Sceptile next, or Blaziken, then the mega forms.

burnt_lucario

Gracias al mundo
As for ideas I like being given them because I want to draw things I wouldn't normally do for practice. It gives me a challenge and helps me to develop my skill better.

I know what you mean. Interactions between two pokemon are always fun and a challenge to draw because you have to pay attention to how they interact, so maybe a battle between two rival Pokemon? Then first thing that pops in my head is Seviper and Zangoose, so maybe you should try that.

And the line art for that Swampert is great for not drawing in a year. I really like how it's posed and overall it looks great. Did you make the pose yourself?

I look forward to seeing you draw Sceptile and Blaiziken and seeing Swampert colored. Keep up the good work!