• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Fan Comics Café

LGameboyR

Pokemon Battler
Like me: I try to review some newbie comics either to encourage them into making it better and making this section full of GOOD comics and creating this imaginary utopia, or I review some newbie and tell him/her to give the **** up while they're ahead.

Ooo, I like your style! Same here, 'cept for the "give the **** up" part, I'm very lukewarm when it comes to my reviews (which I will begin on once I officially return).

*sips tea* Oh! And "Good news everyone!" I can sprite comic again! Yaaay! All it took was a tutorial and I'm making my new comic on Photoshop!

Kabutopzilla

En Prócsem
Oh! Well pardon me! Because action is my favorite genre, thus I only make comics for it. But as for comedy; me personally being the comedic type, I have unknowingly inserted suggestive comedic themes in my comics. Which gives them that 'Pokemon-flavor' that Pokemon ha brought us all these years.

But when it is eventually released, just know that this one will push the envelope, and I implore everyone to give it the same devoted time you would give to your favorite classics here.

Speaking of which. What happened to 'Fan-Comics'? It's a Pokemon Tower in here!

Oh. Maybe I put that a bit harsh. Sorry if I offended you here; it's just my personal opinion.

You might be able to change my mind, if your 'comedic flare' manages to turn the comic into a dark comedy, however.

You want the truth, kid? It's cause those comics have been around a LOT longer than yours, and while the entire section may become stagnant 'cept those ones, the fans will flock back to post in those same ones because they like that they're favourite comics aren't ending like everybody else's. I see it as a kind-of mentality of fans: Cling to the comics you love because maybe you don't want to invest your time in a new comic that may end anyway.

Eh, you're right. But I personally thought the 'truth' would hurt a lot more than that. :p

Secondably, you're confusing 'look at your comic' with 'reply and review your comic.' Your thread has over 400 views, and not that many replies right? People who reply to comics - new comics - are the ones who genuinely love what you have thus far and decide to tell you that ("This is the Roxxors of my soxxors!" etc), or the ones who are interested in going around reviewing comics and trying to create a utopia of great comics.

Fair enough, it's my fault here that I didn't word that statement correctly.

And that's what we need here in Fan-Comics: More critics. It's good to see that sort of activity raise a bit here.

Matt Silver

Rest My Chemistry
Ooo, I like your style! Same here, 'cept for the "give the **** up" part, I'm very lukewarm when it comes to my reviews (which I will begin on once I officially return).

*sips tea* Oh! And "Good news everyone!" I can sprite comic again! Yaaay! All it took was a tutorial and I'm making my new comic on Photoshop!

Weeelllll... I've never told a newbie to get the **** out, but if I were a moderator... the power! :p

Good for you, being able to comic again and all that. And double good on you for quoting Futurama.

LGameboyR

Pokemon Battler
Anyhoo...

XD I loved that show!

Anyhoo, now that that was settled. What kind of change are we all we all hoping for? Specifically, any new genre's untouched, that you wanna see? More hand-drawn? 'Cuz me specifically, I wanna see more action, on the levels of 'One-Piece' with loads of plot twists! A strong, unpredictable story-line.

Puppier

Reasearcher
Seeking a spriter

I have a REALLY good idea but I STINK at making the comics. I am hoping to find a spriter who would help me. I would send you either my idea or a base comic and it would be up to you to add your touch. If intrested please PM me. Thanks.

Crystal Hikara

Your Local Art Nab
Oy, personally I'd like to see less emphasis on quantity and more on quality for any general comics. It's not fair to point at certain ways of making a comic- such as sprite or handdrawn, because it all matters on the artist manipulating their ability to create in that aspect- but I think there should be something to say about taking a few hours on something instead of 30 minutes. It's really disheartening to work so hard on something and have it be shunned just because something has way more comic pages whereas the spriting/art may not be as impressive. (Not taking shots at any particular comic!)

Regardless of that major aspect, I think there needs to be less 'omg lulz awsum comic!!1!!1!' comments and more actual critique comments. I know they're pretty good about that stuff in the Fanfic section, but it really ought to be emphasized more here. ><

LGameboyR

Pokemon Battler
I know, right?

Well I feel your pain, because it's from personal experience. I work hard on my comics only to see it sleep and drift to the bottom of Fan-Comics. I would be right with you if you wanted to start posting critique over, OMG!

Darth Grievous

Call me Kioshi.
I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask, but I'm looking for an artist. I have a great (in my opinion) idea for a comic, but am nowhere near being a good enough artist to draw it myself. I can do basic designs, but that's about it.

I don't want to say much, because I'm kinda paranoid about my ideas being stolen. I'm just saying it's kind of like Code Geass and Death Note but (obviously) in Pokemon. If I feel I can't do a good job writing it I may be looking for a writer, and I'll just become the director.

If you're intrested please PM me. I've got another "ad" or two on other some sites, so respond quickly if you're intrested. :)

Last edited:
Oy, personally I'd like to see less emphasis on quantity and more on quality for any general comics. It's not fair to point at certain ways of making a comic- such as sprite or handdrawn, because it all matters on the artist manipulating their ability to create in that aspect- but I think there should be something to say about taking a few hours on something instead of 30 minutes. It's really disheartening to work so hard on something and have it be shunned just because something has way more

That's seems to be unlikely, hand drawn comics receive even less attention than sprite ones. I had one some time ago, I work hard as hell on each page, not just drawing but by painting them as well and never received more than a couple of comments (2 or 3) a 1 star vote and a jerk saying that my characters were Nazis. The comic reached 72 pages (all of them handrawn) but I couldn't keep up the updating speed. Eventually since nobody ever said anything (critique or review) the thing died.

People don't pay much attention to quality, they just want quick action and battles. Impossible thing in a drawn comic unless you force the story, but easy deal with a sprite one.

gundam_remake

Team Leichi Boss Man
sprite comics have a bad reputation for being crap. every now and then you'll find work where they take the time to do something creative. some people even edit or make their own sprites. man, i havent made anything from scratch in years... but then again, no need.
hell, i even did some scribbles for my own comic for awhile because they saved time and it was faster than the sprite layout i was using. but that got tiresome too, and i didnt like how much effort i had to put into drawing at that time, as little effort it was :)

this place used to get updated so quickly your post could easily find its way to the second page by the next time you logged on. now it is so slow here. i can't even get traffic on smackjeeves really. as far as it goes now, i just do what i do for myself now, and anyone who wants to read it. like the people i started here with, many years ago.

blah blah blah, yes you had to walk 15 miles through the snow with no shoes on to post a comic back then. and even then you had to worry about some maderator messing up and wiping the entire sub forum(happened once or twice).

reminds me to tie up loose ends that time has made in my "story plot", IF you can call it one.

Luxrayess

Sound(?) asleep...
^Maybe it's a good thing that traffic HAS slowed down here. At least the more dedicated people can be in good, committed company.

Abraace

Sabrina's apprentice
It's refreshing to see that even after 3 years, the webcomics that are around now are the same ones I saw back then. Some people have real dedication. Unlike me.

Abraace

Sabrina's apprentice
Hmmmm...I think we need to start up some sort of one off group comic project or something to celebrate the release of Pokemon Black and White.

This place is deader than Charizard in the Metagame.

I'll see if this drums up any interest before I go ahead and post the idea.

Mastercougar

The Infinite Fire
Yes! Absolutely! We should do something like that!

Actually, I have an idea along those lines...Basically, what you suggested with incentives, perhaps. I don't think we have enough energy to start a competition, but we could do a collaborative thread where anybody can post on a theme (Black and White). I could make some comics of my own, and reward anyone who posts with a personalized sprite. Or you could do the same thing with doodles. Or we could form a super-team and do BOTH!

Whatever works. I think the most important thing is just to stir things up a bit in here.

GR has hit the nail on the head, I think. You just have to do what you do for yourself at this point, and if anybody likes what you're doing, you treat it as a perk. ;)

Of course, it was like this on some level when I first started here. I'd go a long time between responses sometimes. I think it was the rising success of Wisest Pikachu that gave us our initial acceleration, along with the fact that everybody here was young and unhardened by the cruel whims of comic fate. :p

Personally, I don't think this stagnancy is destined to last forever. Initial conditions were perfect for a blossoming FanComics forum, and now they're not. Perhaps they will be again. I think the future may be in our newbies: The forum worked because there was a community of people all interacting, moving between fanbases. That community has largely dispersed, for various reasons. So it's to the new, uneducated, unwashed masses that we must turn. I think that they may one day bring us into that kind of community again.

Of course, I think we ought to experiment with prodding and seeing what happens. ;)

~MC

Mastercougar

The Infinite Fire
By the way, I just wanted to let everyone know that I had Zephyr Flare unstick the Comic Academy thread. It's a wonderful concept, but Infinity wasn't there to run it (hasn't been for years) and so newbies were just coming there and getting their hopes crushed. Might have even been driving people away from the forum.

Hopefully things'll pick up again, and there'll be an Academy 3.0 run by someone who still posts here.

~MC

Abraace

Sabrina's apprentice
Proving a point about dispersing, and returning, I'm back to discover I missed this idea by five days.

AoA is back updating, I hope we get more people joining and making webcomics during the Black and White era.

themochamonster

Loca for Mocha!
Hi! I'm starting my first webcomic. Might I be that uneducated, unwashed mass-ee that you speak of? (Well, you've got the uneducated part with me. :))

So, with this webcomic, I've decided to do my own art. Would any of you have any advice for this undertaking?

As for right now, when drawing the Pokemon, I'm experimenting with the art. I want my own style to come through yet ensure the Pokemon actually look like Pokemon. :p

Abraace

Sabrina's apprentice
Feel free to post some concept art up here for us to bestow upon you our mighty and impressive wisdom [/ego]

Only advice I have to you at the moment is; avoid a typical trainer story. It's been done a lot. If you can do one with plenty of delicious twists and turns however, that'd be awesome.

Also avoid the main Pokemon being a legendary. There's very little drama involved if the main Pokemon has the power to control the heavens.

I remember once seeing a sprite comic where a guy started with a Mew in Kanto. So many wrongs in one comic...

themochamonster

Loca for Mocha!
:)

No legendary characters, eh? Not that I mind, I'm not a huge fan of legendaries. I did have one tiny idea where Groudon and Kyore are rival gangsters, not sure if I'll pursue it. (It gives one an excuse to draw Groudon dressed like Al Capone, so that's a plus.) It's not the project I'm currently working on though.

But yeah, I see what you mean about little drama. Though if they were all stupid gits, perhaps a chance at comedy?

Typical trainer story? Yeah, I've seen a lot of those on SmackJeeves. I'll DEFINITLY try to avoid that. Besides, I never like focusing on the human character. Why focus on the human when you've got about 600 colorful monsters to cover?

bones090

< brav man i is sick
:)

No legendary characters, eh? Not that I mind, I'm not a huge fan of legendaries. I did have one tiny idea where Groudon and Kyore are rival gangsters, not sure if I'll pursue it. (It gives one an excuse to draw Groudon dressed like Al Capone, so that's a plus.) It's not the project I'm currently working on though.

Hey, I would like to see that a lot XD