• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Fan Comics Café

LGameboyR

Pokemon Battler
Wow, it's been a while. I think I might get on a new face for this or something. Update my signature etc. To be honest, I LOVED making sprite comics, the look of it all was pretty nice. Might start again just because the place is pretty dead. Furthermore, I should make myself busy while trying to make this place more interesting. I hope I can chat with some veterans along the way.

Typhlosion Dude

De Ja Vu...
Yeah, it looks like this section is near dead. I've got a new comic up my sleeve that I've been working on for a bit. I'll put it up soon. Although I don't think anyone cares anymore.

LGameboyR

Pokemon Battler
Yeah, it looks like this section is near dead. I've got a new comic up my sleeve that I've been working on for a bit. I'll put it up soon. Although I don't think anyone cares anymore.

Yeah, it's pretty sad. Especially since I've been a member of many forums without forum presence. Or chat presence, man I must be invisible! Anyhoo, I've checked some of your work Typhlosion Dude, I hope that instead of just sprite komics we kan get spriters who make sprite comics to keep this place interesting. Good luck!

Typhlosion Dude

De Ja Vu...
Yeah, it's pretty sad. Especially since I've been a member of many forums without forum presence. Or chat presence, man I must be invisible! Anyhoo, I've checked some of your work Typhlosion Dude, I hope that instead of just sprite komics we kan get spriters who make sprite comics to keep this place interesting. Good luck!

My old stuff is really weak in terms of quality and story/world building. This new comic is, in my opinion, what Pokemon World Trainers was supposed to be as far as the criteria I listed go. I want to put it out soon (I have the first 17 pages done), however I'm looking at getting past this one chapter before I start doing weekly updates. Expect it out in a few weeks, possibly February. Thanks for showing interest. Also, note that it will say "made by MJM" or "Mime Jr Master", depending on what site I use to host it. That is my other moniker; I use that more than I do this one.

PetuniaBubbles

Devoted Spriter
Zero Nexus- Yes, it is very dead. =< I feel like I'm the only one who posts in the comic section (as a comic maker, not as a reader). I should see if any of my buddies would be willing to post up comics here. xD It's kinda sad how empty this part of the forum is.

It's not dead! ;3; Can I suggest a topic?

What Pokemon Fan comics online are your inspirations? Also I'm going to start uploading my PMD Digital Web Comic up here if that's cool. :)

lovetheangelshadow

One heck of a Nobody
I have in idea for a comic...posting it on the other hand will be an issue. If I go standard comic size...al ha 20ish pages, how would one upload it to here? Separate posts? I mean, that would skew the post count...not my thing to be honest. Plus it would be a monthly. Don't want to start a fight. Just play by the rules because I don't want to get stuffed into a suit. (sorry, that last bit I couldn't resist)

IAteAPlanet

Feedback on my Pokemon webcomic that I'm writing?

Hi, first time poster here.
First off, hello and thanks for the welcome to the website!
I don't even know if where I'm posting this is right so I'm guessing.

So, I'm thinking of making a pokemon webcomic and I would like some feedback on my concept. My comic is meant to be a darker and deeper take on Pokemon. Exploring the economics and politics while also touching on the value of companions and how much losing them can hurt. The Champion of the region (I'm making a new one) has the elite four under his thumb. Think the elite four from the Pokemon Adventures Manga.
The Champion & E4 are also working with Team [i don't have a name yet]. They're meant to be a hybrid of Plasma + Rocket. They're seen as heroes by the public yet they also have some shady and morally gray actions.
However, the thing about this region is that most of the pokemon we know are type-swapped. Depending on how many pokemon I bother to use, I'll type swap around 25% of them. Give them new names, new color palettes & designs, new moves, maybe some new evolutions, who knows? I think it would be interesting but usually "fakemon" are a hit-or-miss with some people.

Next: The comic's battling system will still follow pokemon rules but be in a real time sort of feel like the anime. What I like about not really following the game's logic (while still keeping the core basics and essentials) is that unevolved pokemon can still have a relatively fair chance in a fight. (Just look at Ash's Bulbasaur & Squirtle)

I'm making a new region and new characters for this story.
I have two ideas for how this comic should go:
1. Similar to Gen V, three trainers (who are friends), would be given the region's starters by the enigmatic Professor (who also seems morally gray at times) so they can set off on their journey. There is badge collecting. Over the first couple chapters I'd factor in more characters + their Pokemon and end up with a main cast of about around 8 and maybe 3 rivals. This version would have pokemon from the first five gens but with some cut out so the regional dex isn't a cluster f*ck.
2. In this one the main character would start out alone in their town with their rival. S(he) would given a starter from the shady Professor as would their rival and their neighbor (the neighbor would be similar to Green in the Pokemon Adventures Manga - English Ver.) The region would feature Pokemon from Gens I-V but with the pokedex cut down to less than maybe 450. 125-150 pokemon would be type-swapped. (A LOT of spriting to do). The other main characters would be introduced over the next couple of chapters so it could set up the group and its dynamic. What's different about this idea is that I'd cut down the dex a lot more so it could be bearable. Also I would be introducing main characters less frequently than how they would have been introduced in idea 1.

Wow, sorry for the Chinese wall of text. So, do you have any feedback? Any suggestions? Which idea do you like better? Either way I'm pumped about making a Pokemon comic with some depth and character development throughout.

Psychic

Really and truly
Hi IAteAPlane, I moved your thread here since it is a webcomic, though I realize this section has been very quiet! I'm more accustomed to reviewing fics and fic ideas, but I can certainly try to give you some feedback on what you posted here!

For starters it sounds like you have a lot of cool ideas in terms of world-building! It's definitely important to have a clear idea of the world you're setting your story in, because the world affects the people, the way they act, and the way they live. It sounds like you're very ambitious and have a lot of ideas, which is always great when starting a new project! That said, while you've told us about how you want the explore economics and politics and the themes of companionship and loss, and include plot points like a Champion manipulating the Elite Four and a morally shady professor, you haven't really said how you intend on portraying all of these things. You have some basic ideas for what the protagonists' journey might look like, but it doesn't sound like you have a concrete plan on how you would execute either of them.

Additionally, every story needs a plot to carry us through the world you've created, but right now it's unclear as to what that plot is. You have two outlines right now, but neither is very concrete. Since both of your outlines are pretty vague, it's hard to say which would be better at this point - you might want to reflect more on each one, fleshing it out and thinking about how realistic it would be to do it. That would definitely help you make a decision!

Ity's also difficult to give you any feedback without some idea of who your characters will be. You have an estimate of how many characters you might have, which can be helpful, but who exactly are they? What are their goals, what are they fighting for? Generally you create the characters first based on the needs of the story, rather than using a predefined number as a guideline.

Also, be careful not to create too much work for yourself! I quite like the idea of type-swapped Pokemon and new evolutions, but it sounds like a lot of work, and I wonder why you need to do this in the first place. Is there a reason that Pokemon in your region have unique types and evolutions? If it ties into the plot somehow that would be very cool, but is this a central part of your fic?

I know it's a lot to think about, but you have a lot of ideas going on here and I wanted to give an idea of things to think about before going further. It sounds like you have a lot of cool concepts, you'll just have to figure out what to include in the final product. I hope this helped, good luck!

~Psychic

IAteAPlanet

Thanks man! That's some great insight. Made me think a lot. Currently coming up with a structure to build my plot off of. After that Imll work on characters and what not.
The reason I was swapping types was for 2 reasons:
1) To show that the region has some sort of mutation and that the pokemon as we known it can be different.
and 2) To keep it interesting.

Upon further thoughts I've decided that if I do re-type pokemon it will only be around 60-70 of them, since I think 150 would be too much work. I also am cutting pokemon out of the dex (ex. Shuckle, Druddigon) mostly just to give the region a more "comfortable feel." What I mean by this is that I don't want to bog down the readers with 600+ pokedex entries. I think that only having maybe 450 or so pokemon at the most wouldn't be as bad. Actually, I kind of like the idea of cutting it down a bit.
Mostly I'd cut out pokemon which I doubt would serve any purpose within the comic or I just can't see them being used by anyone.
As for the characters, I've written out some outlines and bios just to see what works and what doesn't. It's actually pretty fun! I think that you telling me about how my ideas were vague and not full of substance pushed me to find that substance to add to the plot.
Also, as for the shady Professor. I have his character written out as a guy who assists the characters (quite often, I might add) but what makes him less of an Oak/Elm/Birch/etc. professor is that he experiments with pokemon. I'm thinking of tying this into how some of the pokemon of the region became type-swapped.

Oh and I'm currently writing a better backstory for my regions. I've decided to have two regions and make the sprite burdening lesser by having Gen I-III pokemon in the first region and then Gen IV & V in the other.

My main characters (so far) are identical twins from the same town who both start out on their adventure. At first they believe its just about collecting badges , ribbons & prizes. But, as they meet more friends and enemies, they realize that there is a deeper meaning to their journey. As they tangle with the evil team ____ and the Champion + Elite Four, they begin to question whether or not pokemon battling is even right. Are they actually enslaving pokemon? The way the Champion uses them for evil, is that how most people see pokemon as? A tool simply to be used to beat up some Youngster's poor Level 4 Rattata? The characters' motivations will be a mixture of somewhat obvious and actually unqiue.
For example:
We have characters obviously fighting to keep their family, friends, pokemon & loved ones safe.

But on the other hand:
I have a character whose with the heroes only because it's convenient for their own goals.
I also have a character whose fighting to remove the Champion from his position and take it himself.

Anyways, thank you a lot for your insight! It really helped. I think that I'll be able to look at my story in a new way after brainstorming some more.
Cheers.

DattMamon

Swanky Dude
HI I'M JAMES GATSBY OF HOUSE GATSBY AND I'M A FIRST TIME POSTER HERE.
I honestly had no idea where to post this. I think this is the right place?

I'm working on a sprite comic that includes an epic journey that I will try to make as un-cliché and boring as possible. That and I'm definitely NOT basing this thing in Kanto (Pallet Town...it's been done so many times...I can't go back).

So I have a question about making backgrounds in Paint (on a Windows computer...so Microsoft paint?) I don't have photoshop and no I can't just go buy it, I'm a filthy peasant.

How can I make backgrounds (towns, cities, routes and areas in general) without pasting and dragging EACH little piece. Is there a "multi-paste" option of some sort? Or is there just an easier way of making a background that will look nice while also not taking my hours and hours? Oh and I promise that I wont make a Mystery Dungeon comic...seeing as there are A LOT of ones that aren't that great and people don't like seeing those anymore.

It would be nice if you could *perhaps* answer within...oh maybe the next 24 hours but it's your choice kind gentlemen/women. Thanks for a kind welcome to the site and I thank you for your patience with my eccentric personality and insane ideals.

Good day, Happy Hannakwanzas, Papa Bless and Bo's in the house!

ArteMagica

Love. Honor. Truth
@DattMamon, have you tried finding sprite maps of the towns you want to use? I haven't done sprite comics in a while, but there use to be websites that had full maps of the towns. If you're making your own town, you could create a full map of it. That way when you make the comic, you can just copy/paste your characters into the town and make panels out of it.

Typhlosion Dude

De Ja Vu...
What happened to fan comics?

Damn, I haven't logged on in so long. I used to be part of the comic making community that was here about a decade ago. Even though I'm only 20 I feel old as hell saying that.

Anyways, why'd everything die out here? There were some really good comics back in the day. I had a few myself (the original PMD comic was mine lol, what a trip). I know we moved on to DrunkDuck and SmackJeeves, but there was a good amount of cross over to Serebii from those sites.

If anyone can explain the huge drop in quality as well as quantity of comics, lmk.

Psychic

Really and truly
Damn, I haven't logged on in so long. I used to be part of the comic making community that was here about a decade ago. Even though I'm only 20 I feel old as hell saying that.

Anyways, why'd everything die out here? There were some really good comics back in the day. I had a few myself (the original PMD comic was mine lol, what a trip). I know we moved on to DrunkDuck and SmackJeeves, but there was a good amount of cross over to Serebii from those sites.

If anyone can explain the huge drop in quality as well as quantity of comics, lmk.
Hiya, I've moved your topic here where it fits in better and where a discussion can be had. :>

To answer your question, fan spriting in the Pokemon community isn't very popular anymore, especially now that the games are no longer sprite-based. Since a lot of comics here have been sprite-based, this section was hit pretty hard. Fandoms change - it happens! But if you're passionate about it, you should keep at it!

~Psychic