• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Fan Comics Café

VyeBrante

Heh, don't be worried. If Avenue liked Just Gotta okay, Stuff of Legend should be fine. Ha ha!

Tabby Catty

Courtney loves Ruby
Hey guys, I remember the days of comicking and HMM (which I was unable to finish due to pressure from school and the like, however, it did teach me spriting skills) Nowadays, I usually do oneshots and stuff on deviantart, usually hand-drawn comics, but sprites are fun to.

Now, I am here because I recall myself saying how there is so many adventure comics and that there should be more love comics as far as sprite comics go. Well, I am happy to say that I have attempted to make a little oneshot involving my favorite pairing: Betelgueseshipping, the people in the Galactic shipping thread say I pulled it off well for a comic of that nature, but what do you think?

By the way, it is rated PG-13 and it's about what happens to Mars when she searches for Cyrus in the Torn World.

Enjoy! Hopefully if this gets good feedback, then I would do some more comics of this nature, I would make my own thread, but it's just one comic, so yeah...

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/7356/betelgueselovescene.png

ArteMagica

Love. Honor. Truth
I don't know much about shipping, but since it's an original idea in the comics area, I suppose it'll get some readers. I don't really remember reading any romance comics here, I've only read comedies and dramas.

After reading the comic, I must say that you really know how to get straight to the point. The only problem is that I don't really know what's going on. It's only one comic, so I won't be too hard there. The only other thing I should say is to not put so much text in every panel. Most comic readers like to read, but not so much at a time. The font could also be a bit bigger.

I hope you do plan to make more. A romantic comic would bring a whole different perspective to this place.

LGameboyR

Pokemon Battler
Hmm...romance huh?

I've never thought of doin' the mushy stuff, because I've always been the action lover, as seen in my first comic(Ah! I wish I had forum presence (TT_TT)...). But romance seems like an interesting concept. Though, wasn't Broken Waffles a romance?

But don't get me wrong, I'm not actually gonna try romance. I love adventure/fighting comics too much. I should make one...again...
*orders one last cup of tea, drinks it, and exits the cafe*
"Back to the keyboard baby!"

Last edited:

Tabby Catty

Courtney loves Ruby
Yeah, you wouldn't get it unless you are a Betelgueseshipper, though that is understandable if you don't know what is going on, so yeah, the audience would already know that it was a continuation from Platinum when Mars goes to meet Cyrus in the Torn World after she realizes it isn't the same without him as in the game.

I will probably write more and maybe compile them in a thread too, but yeah, you can mostly find it on my deviantart and the like.

Mastercougar

The Infinite Fire
I've been thinking a lot about this thread, and I've come to the conclusion that if we want to bring Fan Comics back to life, this thread is one place where we can connect and refresh the Fan Comics community.

So I'll pose some questions so we can start a discussion:

What do you hope to accomplish with your comic(s) this summer?

Similarly, where do you hope to see the Fan Comics Forum in the near future?

Matt Silver

Rest My Chemistry

- I hope to actually start up again. That's accomplishment enough, right?
- Up and running. Bustling with activity of good sprite comics and a few bad newbie ones to poke a superior stick at.

Tabby Catty

Courtney loves Ruby

Definitely try to continue my Betelgueseshipping comics. After all, the got really go reception on Deviantart, I guess I could try to post a thread on here to show you all, though I did show the Team Galactic fan club and they all love it.

Neko

I've been thinking a lot about this thread, and I've come to the conclusion that if we want to bring Fan Comics back to life, this thread is one place where we can connect and refresh the Fan Comics community.

- What do I hope to accomplish this summer?

Well, I guess that I'll just keep going like I've always been doing. It seems to work pretty well. I hope that by the end of this summer, chapter 5 of SoL will be done. It'll be a pretty long chapter, in which all the main characters will finally get to MEET each other. Since I started the comic back in 2006, they still haven't met, so yeah... That would be nice.

I also hope to start working on chapter 6, which will entail a totally different perspective *coughWesleyandhisgroupcough*, rather than just following Matt, Sandy and Sub around all day. And perhaps chapter 7 will start somewhere in the winter. I'm really excited about chapter 7, because that's when the story's main plot will FINALLY kick off! :D

But maybe that's too much info. XD

- Where do I hope to see the fan comics section?

Well, I'd like to see it come back to life, for starters. Some nice comments or constructive critiques in my thread might be nice too. I can't really complain though. At least I also have my own chatbox and my dA page, where people leave comments. It's not like I feel under appreciated or anything. XD

I'd also really like to see some events or something being organized. I think that those could really help the section come back to life. Maybe we could do a contest, perhaps even a fan art contest for the webcomics here (heck, I'd donate prizes for that). Or maybe some sort of awards for comics which run here. I'd totally nominate Just Gotta! :D

But I think that this section won't be able to come back from the brink its currently teetering on, unless we no longer keep ourselves confined to the section. What I'm saying is that IF we do some sort event, perhaps we should ask if we can't have a public announcement in the main forum section, where more people will see it? I guess we'd have to ask Serebii about that (he runs the forum, right?). Or am I getting ahead of myself again? :p

mysterious~fossil~HP~10

FINISH CHAPTER 2! (Setting the bar high as always...)

I'm trying to buckle down and do more than the occasional work I'm doing now, perhaps even regular updating. The rest of the story deserves to be told, and I must conquer my vice of chronic sloth to do so.
They say the procrastinators of the world will unite tomorrow... ...and I would need at least a week to decide even that much.

Contests. They would give the beginners an opportunity to impress, and the veterans a worthy challenge. I'm even willing to organize or judge them if need be, just notify me ahead of time.

I have to agree with Neko on one thing, the Fan-Comics ain't coming back on its own.
Let's involve the whole Fan-art category if we can, perhaps awarding art created in one of the many Fan-art shops for placing in one of the aforementioned contests. Or use as contest theme the requirement to illustrate a one-shot fan-fic. I'm not that familiar with spriting, so
I'll leave those recommendations to a spriter.

Serebii.net had a three page webcomic, let's see if we can do one page guest comics to replace it and get some attention that way.

Just an idea....

Last edited:

mysterious~fossil~HP~10

Don't worry about it Puppier, that happens to a lot of the threads here. Sometimes your readers just don't have an opinion formed yet about your comic, perhaps it's just not far enough into the story yet for them to develop an impression or suggestions they want to convey.
I personally know that the silence of the audience is tough for a comic artist to overcome, so just keep going if you believe your work is something people should read. And if you want some attention, give your fellow artists a bit of attention too. {Like the humble little webcomic briefly mentioned in the sig below, maybe...?}
Sprite Comics have it especially rough here, I have to warn you. Even Cursed, as talented as he is, has a hard time getting a response from the audience and CBCL is probably one of the best sprite comics I've ever read.

If you're struggling, so are other artists on these forums. We keep talking about restoring the Fan-comics section to glory, but we've got to acknowledge other people and their work.

Puppier

Reasearcher
Thanks

Yeah all I have had so far is my "Sneak Preview" and no story at all.
By the way I read a couple of your comics Mystery Fossil, nice art.
I hope to get the first five story comics up tomorow however, they are ready but I need to check them over.

Puppier

Reasearcher
Thanks

Yeah all I have had so far is my "Sneak Preview" and no story at all.
By the way I read a couple of your comics Mystery Fossil, nice art.
I hope to get the first five story comics up tomorow however, they are ready but I need to check them over.

SladeJT

I'm kicking around an idea for a Fancomic staring a Rocket Grunt. It'll take place during Pokemon Red/Blue, be either hand-drawn (or more likely drawn with my laptop's touchpad since my scanner hates me) or done with sprites (BUT the sprites will most likely be Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green).

The plot basically is about how (and why) that grunt joined and will show Pokemon Red/Blue from a Grunt's PoV (such as having him hear reports of a Trainer defeating Rocket members in other locations, rumors that the Trainer is an agent of the police, ect.). The comic will probably end with Red defeating the Grunt and the Grunt being locked up in jail for his crimes such as using stolen Pokemon.

Matt Silver

Rest My Chemistry
I'm kicking around an idea for a Fancomic staring a Rocket Grunt. It'll take place during Pokemon Red/Blue, be either hand-drawn (or more likely drawn with my laptop's touchpad since my scanner hates me) or done with sprites (BUT the sprites will most likely be Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green).

The plot basically is about how (and why) that grunt joined and will show Pokemon Red/Blue from a Grunt's PoV (such as having him hear reports of a Trainer defeating Rocket members in other locations, rumors that the Trainer is an agent of the police, ect.). The comic will probably end with Red defeating the Grunt and the Grunt being locked up in jail for his crimes such as using stolen Pokemon.

Team Rocket POV's have been done, true, but usually from the perspective of the higher-ups. If your comic is about just a lowly grunt only, I say go for it. Sounds good enough if done well.

SladeJT

Team Rocket POV's have been done, true, but usually from the perspective of the higher-ups. If your comic is about just a lowly grunt only, I say go for it. Sounds good enough if done well.
I figured that Team Rocket's point of view has been used in comics before which was why I said I was currently just toying with the idea. The grunt will not progress to a higher level within the organization but still give us a good look at the innerworkings of a nameless enemy's viewpoint of the original games.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll need to hunker down and write out the plot in more detail before doing anything.

Don't feel disappointed if you don't get comments, get people to actually talk about your work is hard as hell. I don't know how some comics around do like 5 pages and have like 100 comments and fans...Must be genius work or something

mysterious~fossil~HP~10

Yeah, it's rough. Maybe it's just the medium though, with pictorial storytelling most of the important points are handed to the reader for their immediate understanding. In fact, it might be a twisted form of compliment to the comic creator's skills if the audience has gained enough of an understanding just by reading through their work. But still, we all want to hear from our readers.

And I'd love to read a comic about Team Rocket.

Also most of the really popular comics are just fanservice, most about shippings. Regardless if you have a good argument or great graphic work it will be hard to get an audience, unless your story is about trainer in his starting day with team something as enemies or a romance story. No bashing here, but is what I've seen. I don't say that's a bad thing either.