• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Fan Comics Café

LGameboyR

Pokemon Battler
Dear me! I've hit a small problem.

Hi my name is LGameboyR, and I'm NOT a PC. A while back, I the family PC was destroyed, months later, my mentor rewarded me with a MAC OSX with Photoshop! So I thought everything was cool, until I decided to work on my new comic project. I am able to make sprites and stuff, but I can't comic! When I make rotations or expansions to sprites it automatically blurs them, and I can't do the simple things I could on MS Paint! I need immediate help! Can I download MS Paint for MAC?

Matt Silver

Rest My Chemistry
Hi my name is LGameboyR, and I'm NOT a PC. A while back, I the family PC was destroyed, months later, my mentor rewarded me with a MAC OSX with Photoshop! So I thought everything was cool, until I decided to work on my new comic project. I am able to make sprites and stuff, but I can't comic! When I make rotations or expansions to sprites it automatically blurs them, and I can't do the simple things I could on MS Paint! I need immediate help! Can I download MS Paint for MAC?

Damn man, I really sympathise here. I had the same problem a while back, and the closest Mac program I could find to Paint was called Seashore, but that didn't do the 'nice and easy' like MS Paint did. Either stick with Photoshop and hope for the best (Lots of tutorials may help), or put Windows onto your Mac and use MS Paint from there (Either by using the programs Boot Camp or Paralells. The latter is my preferred choice.)

LGameboyR

Pokemon Battler
Thank you kindly Matt. I thought I killed off.

Deadly.Braviary

Last year, I pulled up a 'comic'...well, actually just a splicing together of GSC-style sprites (GSC-style because it was in Johto. If needed, I would devamp Hoenn or Sinnoh). I mean, not orderly and with panels....just a bunch of sprites stuck up on a page of Paint. I don't have it but I was thinking..maybe I should rewrite it as a fic with the occasional [insert above descriotion of comic] picture accompanying it. Where should that go?

Matt Silver

Rest My Chemistry
Last year, I pulled up a 'comic'...well, actually just a splicing together of GSC-style sprites (GSC-style because it was in Johto. If needed, I would devamp Hoenn or Sinnoh). I mean, not orderly and with panels....just a bunch of sprites stuck up on a page of Paint. I don't have it but I was thinking..maybe I should rewrite it as a fic with the occasional [insert above descriotion of comic] picture accompanying it. Where should that go?

I'm thinking Fan Fic section, but it might be prudent to PM a Moderator in that section and ask. The pictures may be put in a fic as chapter page picture or something like that, but I'm not entirely sure if it's been done before.

LGameboyR

Pokemon Battler
Sweet Hell! Is blur-less rotating to much to ask?!

*sigh* *sips tea* I've gone through so much in the past month! The application could be anything; Seashore, Paintbrush, Pixen, whatever! They all said that they were the MS Paint of Mac OS X, and yes they all delivered. But there was one important thing they left out! When I selected an image with the rectangle highlighter tool, some off them only would let me rotate the canvas! Which is frustrating because there is hardly ever a time where I'll need that! And when they did allow me to rotate the selection (GiMP; the CLOSEST thing to Paint I found), It blurred my sprites when I finished! *bangs fist on cafe table*

Look, look, look...Look! *sigh* All I want, is Miscrosoft Paint without the PC to do it! A line-tool reminiscent of Paint, and a simple interface to work on! *sips tea* Any volunteers?

Matt Silver

Rest My Chemistry
*sigh* *sips tea* I've gone through so much in the past month! The application could be anything; Seashore, Paintbrush, Pixen, whatever! They all said that they were the MS Paint of Mac OS X, and yes they all delivered. But there was one important thing they left out! When I selected an image with the rectangle highlighter tool, some off them only would let me rotate the canvas! Which is frustrating because there is hardly ever a time where I'll need that! And when they did allow me to rotate the selection (GiMP; the CLOSEST thing to Paint I found), It blurred my sprites when I finished! *bangs fist on cafe table*

Look, look, look...Look! *sigh* All I want, is Miscrosoft Paint without the PC to do it! A line-tool reminiscent of Paint, and a simple interface to work on! *sips tea* Any volunteers?

Just rotate? Or are you trying to flip horizontally or vertically? 'Cause you can flip horizontally or vertically in Seashore via the 'Selection' menu, but for full rotation, you have to go to the 'Layer' menu, and it only rotates the entire picture.

Man, I spent months looking for a MS Paint carbon copy for my Mac, and Seashore was the one I had to settle for. Until I put Windows on my Mac and could flip between Mac and Windows (Where Paint was).

LGameboyR

Pokemon Battler
No.

Just rotate? Or are you trying to flip horizontally or vertically? 'Cause you can flip horizontally or vertically in Seashore via the 'Selection' menu, but for full rotation, you have to go to the 'Layer' menu, and it only rotates the entire picture.

Man, I spent months looking for a MS Paint carbon copy for my Mac, and Seashore was the one I had to settle for. Until I put Windows on my Mac and could flip between Mac and Windows (Where Paint was).

No, actually rotate. Like the free rotating tool in photoshop, or Paint.

What really sucks is when I tried to take your advice on the parallel program or the bootcamp program, I realized I didn't have a Windows XP package CD thingy! So I'm still boned! *Orders another tea with more sweet tasting Pokeblocks in it*

*While stirring the tea* By the way, what time zone are you in? It's almost 1 am on a school night! (I should be asleep, but I'm in MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE!!)

Matt Silver

Rest My Chemistry
No, actually rotate. Like the free rotating tool in photoshop, or Paint.

What really sucks is when I tried to take your advice on the parallel program or the bootcamp program, I realized I didn't have a Windows XP package CD thingy! So I'm still boned! *Orders another tea with more sweet tasting Pokeblocks in it*

*While stirring the tea* By the way, what time zone are you in? It's almost 1 am on a school night! (I should be asleep, but I'm in MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE!!)

Ah, rotation clarification, thanks. Yeah, if I were you, I'd add some alcoholic PokeBlocks to your tea - the hard stuff!

By the by, I'm on GMT 10+, which is 4pm as of this posting.

Last edited:

LGameboyR

Pokemon Battler
Aww!!!

Ah, rotation clarification, thanks. Yeah, if I were you, I'd add some alcoholic PokeBlocks to your tea - the hard stuff!

By the by, I'm on GMT 10+, which is 4pm as of this posting.

Sound's intriguing...*sips sweetened tea* By the way, will you be making the leap to DP, Pt, & HGSS sprites?

Argh! I just wish I could sprite comic again! Because I worked so hard to prepare, the script is dynamite, and I'm making this one so official. *sigh* my heaven for MS Paint...

Matt Silver

Rest My Chemistry
Sound's intriguing...*sips sweetened tea* By the way, will you be making the leap to DP, Pt, & HGSS sprites?

Argh! I just wish I could sprite comic again! Because I worked so hard to prepare, the script is dynamite, and I'm making this one so official. *sigh* my heaven for MS Paint...

Nah. FRLG OW's for me, start to finish. I'm a traditionalist, and the big heads of the DPPtHGSS OW's creep me out haha.

LGameboyR

Pokemon Battler
Whew!

I just read my entire "Pokemon GX thread...Dear me I was young...And actually, Matt, you were one of the first ones to post in the thread, and you didn't like it! XD lol! But I hope this new comic goes over well. Tips on getting the word out once I finish comicing it, and before I make the thread?

Matt Silver

Rest My Chemistry
I just read my entire "Pokemon GX thread...Dear me I was young...And actually, Matt, you were one of the first ones to post in the thread, and you didn't like it! XD lol! But I hope this new comic goes over well. Tips on getting the word out once I finish comicing it, and before I make the thread?

Yeah, I just found it!

Wake up call.
Small, JPEG, Generic, Boring, Bad Sprites- all words used to descriube this.

Apparently I was less constructive and more direct back then, and couldn't spell 'describe'. How about that! I'm definitely do more constructive crit the next time around.

Hmm... getting the word out? A big banner in your sig might help, especially if it's an eye-catcher. You could PM a buncha people who read your old comic and tell them you got something new coming soon, maybe with a preview attached? You know, trying to hype it up all shiny-like.

LGameboyR

Pokemon Battler
Mmm-hmm

Hmm... getting the word out? A big banner in your sig might help, especially if it's an eye-catcher. You could PM a buncha people who read your old comic and tell them you got something new coming soon, maybe with a preview attached? You know, trying to hype it up all shiny-like.

*nods and sips tea* Sound's good. I didn't think to make a banner. Odd...But as for a preview............I really should stop thinking about my issue...TT-TT

AstralM

#allthetuna
CONVERSATION DISRUPTED!
Alright. Since I know both of you a little, I feel like I can hop on in this conversation.

I personally have begun to use PS Elements 4 for Mac. A bit obnoxious because it has a all the features Paint doesn't have, and some of the ones you don't actually need. And then a lack of a bunch of features that would be really nice for doing real Photoshopping (Y'know, with real photos).

[Edit; I know it's not very simple [and therefore unlike Paint], but it's been working for me.]

*nods and sips tea* Sound's good. I didn't think to make a banner. Odd...But as for a preview............I really should stop thinking about my issue...TT-TT

After making this banner post in a lot of random areas. Like, coherent posts that are relevant so you don't get yelled at for spamming, but still with the intention of getting everyone to look at that snazzy banner in your signature. Maybe you could also use some kind of bright color somewhere to draw attention to it?

[Another edit small enough for you to not be able to see; Carry on, chaps. I was never here. Of course, I'll interrupt enough times to become an actual part in the conversation, so maybe I was.]

Last edited:

LGameboyR

Pokemon Battler
CONVERSATION DISRUPTED!

I personally have begun to use PS Elements 4 for Mac. A bit obnoxious because it has a all the features Paint doesn't have, and some of the ones you don't actually need. And then a lack of a bunch of features that would be really nice for doing real Photoshopping (Y'know, with real photos).

[Edit; I know it's not very simple [and therefore unlike Paint], but it's been working for me.]

After making this banner post in a lot of random areas. Like, coherent posts that are relevant so you don't get yelled at for spamming, but still with the intention of getting everyone to look at that snazzy banner in your signature. Maybe you could also use some kind of bright color somewhere to draw attention to it?

[Another edit small enough for you to not be able to see; Carry on, chaps. I was never here. Of course, I'll interrupt enough times to become an actual part in the conversation, so maybe I was.]

No, I think you you clearly bring up good enough points to not be so much as an interruption, but a welcomed addition to the conversation.

*Orders some sweet-flavored Poffins and takes a bite* *GULP* Ahem! Excuse me...Well, I have been getting to work on that banner, and I guess with my drawn art for the comic, I can attack the "Fan-Art" forum with it, and bring some Fans over from there...

As for the PS Elements. Will it do everything that MS Paint does? (Speaking of course you know the MS Paint features) Also, is it free?

Kabutopzilla

En Prócsem
He may not be interrupting the conversation, but I am! :D

Well sorta. The main point of this post is, why does no one post in any comics other than Pokemon Paradise, The Pokemon Journey, Reporterz, and Just Gotta?

That point can then be reduced to: why does no one (barring a few fans, whom I appreciate for posting in the thread) even look at my comic?

But anyway...

LGameBoyR, the bright banner thing actually doesn't work unless you are literally a professional GFXer (professional meaning you can rank with the best GFXers in the world), because anything less than that is called crap here at SPPf. I'm not even exaggerating that.

I tried a bright banner to advertise a fanfic of mine, and the advertisement flopped, literally drawing in no replies or critiques to the fanfic, despite the fact that the banner lingered in my signature for about six months. It was bright, and eye-catching, but when people think the banner is, as said, anything less than "professional", they avoid clicking it out of disgust.

And not only that, but people really don't care, ultimately. At least, in the places where I post usually (Nintendo and OVGD).

However, it IS, like, the only way to get the word out about your comic, because any other method is guaranteed to flop.

And whenever you release the comic, provided it's a comedy, I'll be happy to read it and critique it; but if it's action/romance/drama, don't even ask me. I do not like any genre other than comedy when it comes down to webcomics, simply because anything other than comedy always turns out boring IMO.

Last edited:

LGameboyR

Pokemon Battler
And whenever you release the comic, provided it's a comedy, I'll be happy to read it and critique it; but if it's action/romance/drama, don't even ask me. I do not like any genre other than comedy when it comes down to webcomics, simply because anything other than comedy always turns out boring IMO.

Oh! Well pardon me! Because action is my favorite genre, thus I only make comics for it. But as for comedy; me personally being the comedic type, I have unknowingly inserted suggestive comedic themes in my comics. Which gives them that 'Pokemon-flavor' that Pokemon ha brought us all these years.

But when it is eventually released, just know that this one will push the envelope, and I implore everyone to give it the same devoted time you would give to your favorite classics here.

Speaking of which. What happened to 'Fan-Comics'? It's a Pokemon Tower in here!

Matt Silver

Rest My Chemistry
Well sorta. The main point of this post is, why does no one post in any comics other than Pokemon Paradise, The Pokemon Journey, Reporterz, and Just Gotta?

That point can then be reduced to: why does no one (barring a few fans, whom I appreciate for posting in the thread) even look at my comic?

You want the truth, kid? It's cause those comics have been around a LOT longer than yours, and while the entire section may become stagnant 'cept those ones, the fans will flock back to post in those same ones because they like that they're favourite comics aren't ending like everybody else's. I see it as a kind-of mentality of fans: Cling to the comics you love because maybe you don't want to invest your time in a new comic that may end anyway.

That's my pessimistic view of it anywho. For the ones that aren't afraid of attaching themselves to a new comic... there's the below:

Secondably, you're confusing 'look at your comic' with 'reply and review your comic.' Your thread has over 400 views, and not that many replies right? People who reply to comics - new comics - are the ones who genuinely love what you have thus far and decide to tell you that ("This is the Roxxors of my soxxors!" etc), or the ones who are interested in going around reviewing comics and trying to create a utopia of great comics.

Like me: I try to review some newbie comics either to encourage them into making it better and making this section full of GOOD comics and creating this imaginary utopia, or I review some newbie and tell him/her to give the **** up while they're ahead.