• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Fan-Comics Rules

Torosiken

This is a title.
I make my comic with paint.. is that okay?

Can I link to my comic website?

I have a comic website, and I was wondering. Can I just post a link to my site, or do I have to link to each comic seperately?

Thanks, in advance.

Mastercougar

The Infinite Fire
You can definitely just post to your site.

Nidoprince

Can someone please explain to me how to type in the words for the speech bubbles? I wish I could just handwrite it, it's not like it's THAT messy.

Last edited:

Nidoprince

I took the link out. I copied it from my HGSS fan comic post, so I thought it'd work, but I must've deleted something or other. Couldn't I just type it up on my computer, print it, cut it out, and paste it? Or do you have to use MS paint? I'm not very good at understanding computer stuff, so I do every single piece of work by hand. I don't have a program for my comics.

I took the link out. I copied it from my HGSS fan comic post, so I thought it'd work, but I must've deleted something or other. Couldn't I just type it up on my computer, print it, cut it out, and paste it? Or do you have to use MS paint? I'm not very good at understanding computer stuff, so I do every single piece of work by hand. I don't have a program for my comics.
Unless you have a clear view of how it's going to look on your work, then it should be piece of cake. Lot of people scan their comics and then just stick words from there but hm yeah I guess printing out words would work. Just use the typing feature on MS Paint and type up a couple of things. If you want, you can make a box or circle (for a bubble) to make that comic feel. Print out and then cut and paste to work.

Nidoprince

OK, thanks, this helps a lot. Now I can start a comic thread.

gundam_remake

Team Leichi Boss Man
OK, thanks, this helps a lot. Now I can start a comic thread.

what i do is i size up the area, type, then bubble before i layer it over the image.

placement of characters, speech bubbles.

i dunno, i've always had eccentric methods that probably waste alot of time.

but i currently do alot of the work in paint, and more recently(seeing as i restarted) i have been using photoshop CS3 for other crap.

Luxrayess

Sound(?) asleep...
Rules for One-Shot Comics?

Question: I have this one-shot teaser comic that I have planned out (my main comic will go forth later if the teaser does well). It will consist of 4-5 pages, and will be hand-drawn.
I was wondering if such a post should go in its own separate thread...

or go into the Comics Cafe thread, since it also consists of a prototype technique for flashbacks.

gundam_remake

Team Leichi Boss Man
Question: I have this one-shot teaser comic that I have planned out (my main comic will go forth later if the teaser does well). It will consist of 4-5 pages, and will be hand-drawn.
I was wondering if such a post should go in its own separate thread...

or go into the Comics Cafe thread, since it also consists of a prototype technique for flashbacks.

if you're confident about the comic you could probably start your teaser in it's own thread, and adapt from there if you feel its going to go well.

traffic to this area is pretty dead though, at least compared to a few years ago. you might not get the traffic you expect. it feels like the loyalists stayed, and everyone was just here for a fad.

even comic websites like smackjeeves, you can't expect much for comments. but you can check the traffic on specific days.

in short, it's a no love hobby unless you fold to what is popular at the time and keep up on trends. i have no idea about promotion either, these things are all up to you.

~Team_Mudkiepz~

Mistress of Mudkiepz
Do we have to ask permission or can we just post one. I've been planning this for a while and I really wanna start my comic! O-O

lovetheangelshadow

One heck of a Nobody
if you're confident about the comic you could probably start your teaser in it's own thread, and adapt from there if you feel its going to go well.

traffic to this area is pretty dead though, at least compared to a few years ago. you might not get the traffic you expect. it feels like the loyalists stayed, and everyone was just here for a fad.

even comic websites like smackjeeves, you can't expect much for comments. but you can check the traffic on specific days.

in short, it's a no love hobby unless you fold to what is popular at the time and keep up on trends. i have no idea about promotion either, these things are all up to you.

True that. I just posted all 10 pages but no one has seemed to even look at the stupid things. I could add more to it but each page takes me a rough total 5 hours at best.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Can you start off by posting a preview of your comic and then start updating once you have more pages finished?

I’m currently working on a comic series that will be based on my playthrough of Pokémon Sword. On Friday, I posted the first few pages on several other sites as a sneak peek since I want to build a buffer first and then start posting the comic some time between mid December & early January. However, while I’m looking through this thread to see if they made any changes to the rules since I’m want to make sure we’re allowed to post previews before I unintentionally do anything that’s not allowed.

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
Can you start off by posting a preview of your comic and then start updating once you have more pages finished?

I’m currently working on a comic series that will be based on my playthrough of Pokémon Sword. On Friday, I posted the first few pages on several other sites as a sneak peek since I want to build a buffer first and then start posting the comic some time between mid December & early January. However, while I’m looking through this thread to see if they made any changes to the rules since I’m want to make sure we’re allowed to post previews before I unintentionally do anything that’s not allowed.
It seems like the folks who wrote & updated the rules left over 5 years ago.

I can't speak for them, but most web comics are updated a one strip or page at a time. There's probably little harm in posting the first few pages of your comic, then coming back when you have more done. The rules say you need a plan before posting; they don't say you need every single comic in a series completed.