• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Fan Fiction Quarterly: Edition 2 (June 2015)

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
How long do you have to complete the writing challenge in the current Quarterly? If the next Quarterly comes out before I finish writing this Quarterly's challenge, can I still complete this Quarterly's challenge and get a mod review?

Answering both at once! Yes, submitting a fic for an older challenge will still count; there's no deadline. We just ask you to specify which challenge you're writing for (if it's an old one) so we know which rules to look at.

Another question I have is, will the mod review only the Quarterly challenge piece or can I request for a mod to review another fic I wrote?

Good question! Reviews are rewards for completing the challenge, so they're for the challenge fic. But! You're free to ask most of us if we can review your other work; you just don't need to write a challenge fic to do it. :)

Keep up the good work with the Fan Fiction Quarterly, and I am looking forward to the next one. :)

Thanks! :D We'll certainly try!

Speaking of, I know y'all are expecting a new Quarterly soon, but I'd just like to let you folks know that it's coming ... in October. Due to some other fun things. Thanks for your patience~!

Edit: Sorry for locking this! D: Mobile effery. It's been unlocked, so feel free to keep posting until October~!

Last edited:

AmericanPi

Write on
Edit: Sorry for locking this! D: Mobile effery. It's been unlocked, so feel free to keep posting until October~!

I was just going to PM you to ask you about that! I was surprised to see that this thread was locked, because I wanted to post my finished challenge here when I finished it. Glad that it was just a mistake. :)

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant

Uh ... it's not too late to post, but this isn't a fic advertisement thread. ._. People are posting stories here because they've completed a fic challenge mentioned in the first post. Seeing as this month's challenge is "write a story with no dialogue," and your fic has dialogue in the first prologue, it unfortunately doesn't count, sorry to say.

(On that note, American--Pi, thanks for submitting! :D It's cool to double-post for that.)

Last edited:

AmericanPi

Write on
Uh... I hate to bring this up, but... I thought FFQ Edition 3 would come out in October but it's November 3rd and there's still no new issue. ._. Is this whole thing getting discontinued? I'd hate for that to be the case... I quite liked the two FFQs and I even intend on completing the FFQ 1 challenge soon. :/

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Uh... I hate to bring this up, but... I thought FFQ Edition 3 would come out in October but it's November 3rd and there's still no new issue. ._. Is this whole thing getting discontinued? I'd hate for that to be the case... I quite liked the two FFQs and I even intend on completing the FFQ 1 challenge soon. :/

Unfortunately, most likely, if not retooled.

See, the main problem is the Quarterly's too big for one person to do. (My God, putting together that first issue.) However, parceling out portions is a struggle in itself. While we were able to pull together and get this issue done as a team, real-life concerns have prevented the mod team from completing most of issue three by the beginning of October (and keep in mind that the October issue was originally meant to be the September issue, so we're already working with a pushed-back deadline). And before it's proposed, I've considered opening up submissions to the general public, but I've learned from personal experience running periodicals that that ... can get just as messy if you're talking about putting together one giant thing with a deadline.

So long story short, if it ever comes back:

1. It would likely be a winter issue.
2. Most of the columns you see here would be either simplified or removed completely. Try This, for example, is kinda hellish to write, so it would be removed. The interview would likely turn into a full-on column a la the fic articles (in that the mods would talk about the history and techniques of a reviewer from an observer's standpoint). Blast from the Past and Editor's Choice would likely be combined. That kind of thing.

Or in even simpler terms, it's currently discontinued as it is. If there's a high enough demand and if there are ways to cut corners and prevent it from being a headache for one person to pull off, it might be back, just not as big and thorough as you see here.

Sorry to say!

Last edited: