• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Fan Fiction Recommendations & Reviewers' Leaderboard

canisaries

sometimes i get a deadache, yeah
@Negrek Okay, good, though I was more asking if it was able to qualify for any points at all rather than more ;p

Another review to log:
+16 Drowning

Total: 16
Monthly total: 21

Whoa, gaining points than I expected.

Negrek

Lost but Seeking
Nice to see the competition heating up on the board this month. If you want to help out your score by picking up a few bonus points, here are this month's new featured fanfics! Reviews for either are worth an additional ten points.

First up is @dietofwurms' Beasts and Beauties, which takes a deep dive into the minds of Lusamine and Guzma. This story pulls no punches in portraying the psychology of deeply flawed, broken people and is an ideal read for anyone who enjoys angst or complex character studies. While Lusamine and Guzma are the primary focus, many other prominent SuMo NPC's appear as well.

Next is @canisaries' Seiren, featuring Red from the Twitch Plays Pokémon universe, an ardent worshipper of Lord Helix and the unwavering servant of its current Omanyte incarnation. Unfortunately for him, his lord has been distracted from His godly duties by an enchanting Inkay pop star... and Red simply can't have that. This darkly humorous story is worth a look for fans of TPP, worldbuilding, and cephalopods.

Seiren is also the current Review Game pick, so if you leave a review, not only will you earn bonus points, but you can put yourself in the queue to get one in return!

Cutlerine

Gone. Not coming back.
Flying in the Dark (one letter) +1
The Child of Thorns (seven chapters) +7
Update total: +8
Running total: 15

Flying in the Dark is pretty much unique among all the fics on this forum -- a great epistolary novel, taking full advantage of the format to dramatise a strange relationship between two people who never quite let their true selves come to the surface. The Child of Thorns is something completely different: a Platinum story, but well-wrought, with an interesting cast, some characterful pokémon, and some eerie stuff bubbling away in the background, ready to erupt into the foreground at some point.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Not sure if this is the right place... but even though you guys are playing your game, this is still a fanfic recommendation thread right? So guys? Is there any extreme hi-action level Pokemon fanfics here. I've been told in a few PMs on Fanfic.net that my style of action is actually kind of rare in fanfics in general and I'm currently looking for some ideas, improvements, and inspiration from others for future chapters. Any fanfics that give that intense fast action feel or just action that is ridiculous and creative in so many levels you see a lot in Pokemon Adventures or the XY anime series, like for example attention to detail on how a hit impacts a Pokemon's bodies, detailing how fast and precise it connects to that body part which may or may not affect the environment (or the other way around) or something a little simpler like a legendary Pokemon defeating entire highly-trained teams with brutal efficiency or perhaps a Pokemon backed into a corner and uses his wits and his limitations, like certain abilities and moves, to get him out of it. Any Pokemon fanfics with that kind of detail and fast-pace action?

Last edited:

Negrek

Lost but Seeking
Sure, you can ask for recs here. (And anyone is welcome to give them if they like, not just me!)

In any case, sure, we have action-adventure fics along the lines of what you describe. The one that first springs to mind is The Legendarian Chronicles, which is about kids caught up in a prophesied battle between legendary pokémon and humans. Naturally you get a lot of nice big battle scenes with legendary pokémon going all-out against armies of enemies, with the human characters having to learn to fight against incredible odds and use strategy just to survive in dangerous fights. Requiem would be another good story to look at in that vein; plenty of action with emphasis on how the attacks affect the battling pokémon as well as the environment. The power level on this story is very high, so by the end there are battles with legendary pokémon throwing skyscrapers around, etc. It's also complete.

If you enjoy PMD fics, most of the ones we have around are action/adventure stories that would probably be to your taste. Of the more established ones, Guiding Light is probably the fastest-paced with the most big battles, often with unusual environmental conditions that change how fights play out. System: Reboot is very action- and battle-oriented and worth checking out if you enjoy sci-fi, but most of the battles are with space weaponry rather than normal pokémon attacks, so it might not be quite what you're looking for there. On the other hand, Fledglings has nice battles, but the overall pace may not be as fast as you're looking for.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Thank you for the recommendations. I'll be sure to check them out, maybe even credit them as inspirations if it fits what I'm looking for.

DeliriousAbsol

Call me Del
Last edited:

Cutlerine

Gone. Not coming back.
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Guiding Light (two chapters) +2
Destiny (one chapter) +1
Update total: +3
Running total: 18

Sneaking in a couple more before the month is out. I've recommended Guiding Light a whole bunch, but Destiny is a new one, and I have to say, it's off to a really promising start. It has a solid kinda world with a sense of history to it, and it's got the distinction of one of the only fics I've ever read that consider what Aristotle would have thought about pokémon, which, if that's not enough to get your interest then I don't know what is.

Chibi Pika

Stay positive

Negrek

Lost but Seeking
July's now over, so it's time to check this month's scores!

In third place we have a tie between Chibi Pika and DeliriousAbsol, each of them with 16 points!

Cutlerine takes second place again with 18 points!

And July's first-place winner is canisaries, with 21 points!​

Thanks to everyone for playing. It was great seeing some new faces on the 'board this month. For August I'm going to focus on trying to come up with new prize options, especially for people who've already won an interview and for people coming in second and third in a month. Let me know if you have any suggestions or anything you can offer in that regard!

The scores are reset. Let the August round begin!

Cutlerine

Gone. Not coming back.
Well done, all round! And now, some August reviews:

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Guiding Light (three chapters) +3
The Child of Thorns (one chapter) +1
Destiny (one chapter here, another here, for a total of two) +2
Running total: 6

Destiny is a new trainer fic with pretty solid writing and a rather interestingly academic focus to it; I definitely recommend checking that out if either of those things interest you. Guiding Light continues to escalate, and just celebrated its one-year anniversary, which, man, the time has just flown by, huh. And this latest chapter of The Child of Thorns is a really impressive one: it builds up an interesting interpretation of Oreburgh and ties it very elegantly into a pretty striking Gym challenge.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
It's my first time here, too! Decided to just get a review going to roll things along. Haven't been to a forum in a while, but it all feels a little familiar at the same time. Now then...

Past of the future, future of the past... (prologue and two chapters) +2, I think. A sci-fi fic that's just getting started.

So hello, everyone! Running/current total: 2

Negrek

Lost but Seeking
Welcome, Namohysip! Thanks for playing!

It's the middle of August, which means it's time to bring on some new featured fics. This month, we're putting the spotlight on a couple of PMD stories, both of which present a fresh spin on a popular genre!

@Virgil134's Casting Off is the story of an enthusiastic but naive young cranidos who joins the Navy to seek his fortune. This neat, self-contained story gives an initial look into a much larger PMD world full of ancient mysteries, warring factions, and diverse cultures spread across a huge island chain. It's also newly complete, so this a great time to check it out if you haven't already!

Meanwhile, @TikTok13's Skybound is a high-flying steampunk PMD story of floating islands and sky-pirates, at times whimsical and at times brutal as it follows Black the sableye through more adventure than he bargained for when he left his cozy hometown. This story offers plenty sink your teeth into if you're a fan of steampunk, novel PMD settings, or straight-up gritty action and adventure.

A review for either of these fics is worth 10 points on top of its base value! As always, if there are any stories you think deserve a feature, let me know! I'm always on the lookout for good fics to showcase.

Cutlerine

Gone. Not coming back.
Oof. This is where I regret not keeping track of all these on a more regular basis. D: Here goes:

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Guiding Light (two chapters) +2
The Child of Thorns (one chapter here and two others here) +3
The Alola Pokédex (six entries) +6
The Skull that Bears Seeds (one chapter) +1
Running total: 12

The cast of Guiding Light are finally starting to get their act together, which makes for a very satisfying payoff after all this time; The Child of Thorns is finding its feet and setting up for what looks like a pretty cool main plot; The Alola Pokédex is as elegant, funny, and wonderfully well-researched as ever; The Skull that Bears Seeds is a fascinating reworking of Team Skull and their narrative, and definitely worth checking out if that sounds like your bag!

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
I forgot to log this:

Destiny 3 chapters, +3

Total: 5

An interesting story where we start off with an elite and accomplished trainer. Guess we'll see what struggles await despite that~

Cutlerine

Gone. Not coming back.
I think I've screwed up my count somehow in that last post -- did I count a couple of those twice? And forget to add in the points from my post earlier this month? Something like that. Anyway, I've just run the numbers again and I think it actually comes to 18 points, not counting the review I'm about to log. I might have just counted up wrong a second time, though, so please do double-check the score and deduct any points I shouldn't have.

Casting Off (one chapter + 10 bonus points) +11
Running total: 29 (assuming I've got any of this right)