• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Fan Fiction Review Game: Shipping Edition

ChloboShoka

Writer
Introduction
Hello fellow shippers, welcome to Fan Fiction Review Game: Shipping Edition. After much discussion in the Author's Cafe, we've decided to go ahead with the review game to help boost some activity in the shipping section. The Review Game in the main shipping section was very successful, although as of now it's inactive it was a great way to promote quality reviews. How this works is that the last person who posted gets one of their chapters of a fan fic or an entire one-shot/drabble gets reviewed by the next poster. The next poster can then ask for either a chapter of their fic or a one-shot/drabble to be reviewed. This thread has been approved and moderated by Skiyomi.

Step One: Read the fic posted by the previous poster. Reserve if you wish.
Step Two: Review the fic. Please post a link or quote review if possible.
Step Three: Inform which a chapter/one-shot/drabble you would like reviewed. Please provide a link if possible.
Step Four: Somebody will review your fic and the cycle will go on.

Rules
Reviews and fics requested to be reviewed must be posted in Serebii Shipping Fic Section.

Any fanfiction in this section can be reviewed. This includes crossovers and non-pokemon stories.

Shipping discrimination and flaming is discouraged. All flames will be reported.

Reserving reviews are allowed, but your review must be completed within a 24 hour period from the time you reserve the review. You cannot post a link to the fic you would like reviewed until your review is complete to prevent boycotting.

Drabbles can be reviewed. If you review a drabble, please quote a copy of the review in your post when you request a fic to be reviewed.

Please ensure your review is of full quality. Aim to keep your review no shorter than three paragraphs and one for drabbles. Think about the concepts of the story you're reading.

Tips
Think about the opening of the fic. What were your first impressions? Were you hooked or were you pushed away?

How did the ending make you feel. Did you feel it was a good ending or did you feel it was unfinished?

Was there any scenes that stood out for you? What was your favourite scene and what was your least favourite scenes.

How is the dialogue? Are they saying things you don't think they would normally say?

Are the characters in character. What impression do the characters give to you?

Are the relationships and shippyness natural or forced?

What do you think of the writing in general? Can you spot any techniques? Is the grammar & Spelling good? Did you spot any typos or mistakes?

What about the plot? Do you find it original or clichéd. Is it executed well? Any ideas how to make it better or are you not sure what to think of it?

Did you enjoy the fic in general? How did the fan fic make you feel? Are you able to talk about the pros and cons of the fic and what do you like or dislike about the fic?

Was there anything you weren't sure about? Let them know in a review.

Helpful Links
The General Fan Fiction Review Game
Skiyomi's Review Guide

Okay, we'll start with Chapter Four of The Other King and see how this goes.

Last edited:

Midnightmoon6o2

"Tougher than you."
I'll join in since I think this is a cool idea. :D

Could I reserve reviewing Skiyomi's story? I'll update this post once I got my review down. :D

For the next wonderful person could you please read Chapter One of Masquerade? I was going to suggest chapter ten but I realized it has too many factors from past chapters that maybe nothing would make sense.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: My review is now posted. :D

Last edited:

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I'm going to go ahead and reserve a review for ChloboShoka, since I do have one in mind. Been meaning to participate since I was all for this, so today seems to be a good day for that.

EDIT: Here ya go.

While I honestly would like something on the entirety of the story thus far, because it's long enough as it is, I'd like the next poster to review up to chapter three on Handle with Care, please. Though you are free to read as much as you like.

Last edited:

AmericanPi

Write on
I'm going to attempt to revive this extremely old thread because I think the Shipping Fic Review Game is a pretty good idea.

I'm going to go ahead and reserve a review for ChloboShoka, since I do have one in mind. Been meaning to participate since I was all for this, so today seems to be a good day for that.

EDIT: Here ya go.

While I honestly would like something on the entirety of the story thus far, because it's long enough as it is, I'd like the next poster to review up to chapter three on Handle with Care, please. Though you are free to read as much as you like.

This... is a pretty daunting review request, ngl. I took a quick look at the fic, and I found that the Prologue, Chapter One, Chapter Two, and Chapter Three of the fic (four chapters) were all very long for fanfic chapter standards. Add that to the fact that the fic is NC-17, and... yeah, pretty daunting.

Would you be willing to receive a Review Game-style review of just the Prologue? If so, that would make my writing this review a lot less daunting. If not... I promise I'll still write the review, but it will probably take longer. I may have to wait until I enter university on January 4, 2016 before I even start reading Handle With Care anyways, because I don't want to be looking at NC-17 content when my family's around.

Anyways, I'm reserving a review for Kutie Pie's Handle With Care, though like I said before it may take until January 9th, 2016 if I can review just the Prologue or until January 16th, 2016 if I need to review up to Chapter Three.

I'll post my fic(s) that need a review when I finally get around to posting my review of Handle With Care.

EDIT: Here's my review for the prologue of Handle With Care.

I really hope this game continues, so I'm requesting a review that I think will be pretty easy to write: Any Shipping Fic I've written in the year of 2015. Here is my Author's Profile, where you can find everything I wrote last year. Please review any of the following:
  • Crazy, a PendragonShipping one-shot
  • Sunset, a non-Pokemon Fedal one-shot (Roger Federer/Rafael Nadal)
  • Any drabble in Behind the Pitch, a collection of drabbles featuring multiple RPS ships
  • The Handkerchief, an AmourShipping drabble
  • Three Yuletide Drabbles: "Famous" (AdvancedChampionShipping), "Snowed In" (TranscieverShipping), and "I'll Be There" (CavalierShipping)

I would prefer a review of my one-shots, but as I said, you can review anything I've written in 2015. Thanks in advance to whoever can do this! :)

Last edited:

ChloboShoka

Writer
Reviewed Sunset by American--Pi

The next reviewer can review any chapter of the following fics: Thy Wish Will Come, The Other King or Once Upon A Heavy Crown. All the fics are in my signiture.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Reserving a spot for a review of "Thy Wish Will Come". I'll read as much as I can, although I'm a little rusty when it comes to reviews, so... yeah. Posted.

For the next reviewer, I'd like a review of the first two chapters of Encryption, please (although more is welcome).

Last edited:

Victorian Rush

Weather Manipulator
Started reading the first two chapters of Encryption and I am planning on reading the whole story but for now, here.

I do have some I would like a review on, I will have to link my author's profile down below as well as update it since I just literally posted a new one-shot today but either of the following ones would be great:

Here you go. It’s a review of Heavy Burden. I’m pretty bad at reviewing (especially when I’m slightly groggy from waking up about an hour and a half ago), but I hope you like it!

I dunno if we allow non-Pokemon ships in this thread, so I’m gonna include one Pokemon and one non-Pokemon just in case.

First, I’d like to see a review of a poem Drabble thing I wrote in January, On a Single Day. This is the non-Pokemon piece for one of my favourite ships, Ukyo x the Heroine from Amnesia, but it’s around PG-13. I wanna know if maybe I should try the poetry thing again some time or whether I kinda sorta suck at it.

Alternatively, one could review my old Polyship One-Shot, Contests. It’s a G-rated platonic piece based around my rarepair platonic polyship, Curtis x Yancy x Lisia. This won an award in the 2017 Shipping Oscars and I wanna know how in the name of Arceus/Aidios/*insert fictional deity here* that happened.